HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

08-09: Junior, College, & Euro Prospects Update Thread

Old
12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
Colin Long didn't make the US team.

Looks like people wanting to see Coyotes' prospects can just keep eating leftover Christmas turkey instead of watching the WJC this year.
I see Tyler Johnson made the US squad. For those that may recall he participated in the Yotes rookie camp this year on an amateur tryout contract and did well enough to earn an invite to the main training camp. Though he went home without a contract.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:35 AM
hfboardsuser

Nick Ross Game Report

Greetings Yotes fans. I scouted the Edmonton Oil Kings/Kamloops Blazers game last night. While I wasn't there to see Ross, I couldn't help but notice him.

From my notes:

-Above-average acceleration, but lacks an elite top-end gear. Loved to head-man the puck up ice to start the attack.

-Probably too good for the WHL when it comes to offensive awareness; made a couple of 'million-dollar' plays that proved it. On one, the Blazers were on the powerplay, and weren't having much luck setting up. The Kings failed to clear it, and Ross picked it up on the left point. He walked the blueline to center-point, and made a gorgeous curl-and-drag to elude a diving poke-check. It was just perfectly timed.

-On another fantastic play, he was caught alone below his goal-line. Instead of retreating or throwing it away, he performed a reverse-deke- by stickhandling to his left, he lured the forechecker to that side. He then pulled it to his right, causing the forechecker to stop and think. Ross used that split second to back up and create a lane for an outlet pass.

-Ross' importance was never more apparent than on a penalty kill early in the third. Down by a goal, the Blazers knew they couldn't allow another. Ross stayed out for the entire thing even as everyone else changed. He then stayed out for an additional minute, and sparked a rush.

For the record, the scored finished 3-2 Edmonton, and Ross was pointless. However, he was a +1, and probably deserved a star. By my estimation, he played a good 35 minutes.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Good to hear a positive report.. Ross has had his critics as well so nice to balance it out.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Sounds like when he's in his comfort zone he's a great asset.

The real problem will be getting him in a comfort zone in the NHL. He may need a couple seasons in the A before he's ready to do that.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:31 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Looks good

Quote:
10. Scott Darling, G University of Maine Black Bears (Hockey East): There must be something about Maine that attracts super-tall goalies. First it was 6-foot-7 Ben Bishop, now the 6-foot-6 Darling, who is killing it with the Bears. The freshman leads the conference with a sparkling 1.49 GAA and .941 save percentage. Drafted 153rd overall by Phoenix in 2007.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ith-skill.html

Be nice to see the big guy start playing well.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
PhoPhan

More important Darling's sparkling numbers is the fact that he's dramatically outplaying Maine's other goalie, who is a junior, which speaks at least a bit to the kid's talent and not just the system.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Darling's barely a freshman this year? Well thats great to hear anyways. Some good news from our goalie prospects is refreshing since Gisedt looks to be underperforming with the Sundogs. In a league many people thought he was too good for.

edit: Also, anyone know what happened to Brett Bennet? Played 2 years with Boston U, 31 games last season, 16 wins and is now playing in the USHL for Indiana.

Last edited by Naych_PHX: 12-09-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Kaizen

Goncharov and Ruzicka are both listed for their respective countries. Both should make the cut for the WJC.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4604

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4444

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Darling's barely a freshman this year? Well thats great to hear anyways. Some good news from our goalie prospects is refreshing since Gisedt looks to be underperforming with the Sundogs. In a league many people thought he was too good for.

edit: Also, anyone know what happened to Brett Bennet? Played 2 years with Boston U, 31 games last season, 16 wins and is now playing in the USHL for Indiana.
Boston released him from his scholarship. He got the job last year after the team's senior starter went down. This season Boston has two incoming frosh goalies plus another soph and they didn't expect Bennet to be the starter.

Old
12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
PhoPhan

Scott Darling started two non-conference games against Union this weekend and allowed only one goal in each. He is now 8-3-1 with a 1.4 GAA and a .944 S%.

Other NCAA updates:

Brett Hextall has 6-4-10 in 18 games for North Dakota, tied for 6th on the team as a freshman, behind only juniors and seniors. He also has 39 PIM.

Ben Ferriero's seems to be struggling this year, scoring 2-9-11 in 16 games. It's third on the team, but for a guy who has averaged a point per game over the last two seasons, it's a bit disappointing. I still hope he gets signed. With a few years in the AHL, he could mature into a solid bottom six scorer, or at least into a valuable trade chip.

Michigan scored 11 goals in two games this weekend, but Summers came out with only a goal and an assist. He now has 2-4-6 in 18 games.

In WHL news, Colin Long has 17-27-44 in 29 games to sit at 6th in WHL scoring. Linemate Jamie Benn has 24-21-45 and is 5th.

Nick Ross has 4-15-19 in 32 games, but more importantly, he's a +2 on a team of mostly minuses. Michael Stone has 9-18-27 in 32 games and is a +16, but he plays on a much better team. Ross's Blazers are 14-18-4 while Stone's Hitmen are 28-5-1-1. Anyway, both appear to be genuine NHL prospects.

From other parts of the CHL, Jordan Staal is 5th in team scoring with 7-16-23 in 32 games. His -12 does not really stand out among the team's top scorers (those ahead of him have -6, -11, -14 and -15). Sudbury is 15-15-1-2.

Mathieu Brodeur of Cape Breton has 9 points in 29 games. He's a +4.

Seventh rounder Tim Billingsley has no points in 17 games for the Majors. He's also a -8.

Old
12-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Michael Stone has 9-18-27 in 32 games and is a +16, but he plays on a much better team.
I liked what I saw of Stone in the rookie camp and preseason games. I think he has a good chance to be a pretty good NHL player.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
PhoPhan

The scary thing to think about is how many prospects from our top 20 we'll have graduating this year. Turris, Boedker, Tikhonov, Porter, and Lisin are all set to no longer be "prospects" just by games played. Josh Tordjman will be 24 in January and Al Montoya 24 in February, making both ineligible. Sean Sullivan is already 24 and Logan Stephenson has been traded.

That means nine new names in the top 20 at least. I imagine a few of them will be draft picks, but Stone, Darling, Brodeur, Hextall, Goncharov, and Long are all contenders to make that jump. Our top prospect will all of a sudden be someone like Brett MacLean, Chris Summers, or Chad Kolarik.

Old
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Brock

A little report for you guys on Tim Billingsley, from some weekend action.

I've never been terribly impressed with Billingsley. He's rather invisible on the ice and this game presented nothing different. He doesn't play a lot on the powerplay, he doesn't rush the puck up the ice, and I've always felt his physical play was overrated. Often you hear of this being a compliment to a defenseman because it means they aren't screwing up. But I don't agree. To me, players who don't stand out above their competition at this level scream average to me. And while he made strides offensively last season, which likely earned him a draft selection, he's still pointless this season. Quite frankly, as harsh as it sounds, I don't see him as a significant professional player, if at all.

Old
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I just got around to watching the first of the two games between Michigan and Michigan State from last weekend. I have to say that I was really, really impressed with Chris Summers. He's back on defense, and is team captain. He recieved huge 5on5, PK and PP minutes. He scored a shorthanded goal on a huge rush, had another assist, and was on the ice for like three or for goals for. I didn't see if he actually recieved first star, or not, but the announcers seemed to feel it was a no-brainer.

This kid can skate. He's got Yandle skating. No joke. He can really fly. He also seems to be a very smart player, in general. He does make some mistakes, but more often than not is very solid. He's a bit more raw than I would expect from a junior, but is much more confident than he has been the last couple of years. I kind of see both as a good thing. Apparently, the first time he ever played defense was in the Honey Baked tournament(as a sixteen year old) when his team lost two defenseman to injury and he he volunteered to man the blueline for his coach(Ryan Kesler's dad). So, he's still learning his position(it doesn't help that he's been asked to play forward, as well, at Michigan).

He looks great, though, even if a little raw. He looks much more disciplined, too. Maybe getting the "C" on his chest helped. I saw him choose to avoid a few altercations(including one where he was cheapshotted after the buzzer), and he didn't seem to be sniffing around for that huge hit, like he did in the past(often to his detriment). He seems more involved offensively, too. Still not quite as confident with his shot from the point on the power play, though. It's a very good shot, and seems to get through every time he chooses to let it go, but at this point, he seems way more interested in passing it off. He is quite good at keeping the puck in the zone, though, and refuses to give up the blueline with the man advantage, as he's really quite good at holding the puck in at all costs.

All in all, I was very impressed and am quite pleased with his developement. He seems to be an intelligent, valuable, two-way defender, with exceptionally rare skating ability. Apparently he's also a good leader, and certainly looks like one on the ice. We all know from some of the videos we've seen of him that he's also a very bright and funny kid. The Michigan announcers also seem to be in love with him. They were gushing about him all night. I'm really excited for him to turn pro. He looks like a good one.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I just got around to watching the first of the two games between Michigan and Michigan State from last weekend. I have to say that I was really, really impressed with Chris Summers. He's back on defense, and is team captain. He recieved huge 5on5, PK and PP minutes. He scored a shorthanded goal on a huge rush, had another assist, and was on the ice for like three or for goals for. I didn't see if he actually recieved first star, or not, but the announcers seemed to feel it was a no-brainer.

This kid can skate. He's got Yandle skating. No joke. He can really fly. He also seems to be a very smart player, in general. He does make some mistakes, but more often than not is very solid. He's a bit more raw than I would expect from a junior, but is much more confident than he has been the last couple of years. I kind of see both as a good thing. Apparently, the first time he ever played defense was in the Honey Baked tournament(as a sixteen year old) when his team lost two defenseman to injury and he he volunteered to man the blueline for his coach(Ryan Kesler's dad). So, he's still learning his position(it doesn't help that he's been asked to play forward, as well, at Michigan).

He looks great, though, even if a little raw. He looks much more disciplined, too. Maybe getting the "C" on his chest helped. I saw him choose to avoid a few altercations(including one where he was cheapshotted after the buzzer), and he didn't seem to be sniffing around for that huge hit, like he did in the past(often to his detriment). He seems more involved offensively, too. Still not quite as confident with his shot from the point on the power play, though. It's a very good shot, and seems to get through every time he chooses to let it go, but at this point, he seems way more interested in passing it off. He is quite good at keeping the puck in the zone, though, and refuses to give up the blueline with the man advantage, as he's really quite good at holding the puck in at all costs.

All in all, I was very impressed and am quite pleased with his developement. He seems to be an intelligent, valuable, two-way defender, with exceptionally rare skating ability. Apparently he's also a good leader, and certainly looks like one on the ice. We all know from some of the videos we've seen of him that he's also a very bright and funny kid. The Michigan announcers also seem to be in love with him. They were gushing about him all night. I'm really excited for him to turn pro. He looks like a good one.

Thanks for the insight. Summers is a guy that I'm really excited for. May not always put up big offensive numbers, but he's the kind of guy you win championships with. The versatility from forward to defense is a plus.

The Coyotes are putting together some good players, with some great heads on them. Porter, Summers, Turris, and Tikhonov just to name a few. Brett Hextall is a guy I'm intrigued about as well. I'm hoping he can round out his game and make it to the coyotes one day. kind of a dark horse Winnik kind of player possibly.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I would also echo thx for the update rt! I de-subscribed to the regional sports channels on the dish this year b/c 1) we don't have nearly the College prospects that we have had in the past to watch, 2) after getting burnt by "you know who" I'm not to keen on getting my appetite up for watching prospects in College.

But as critical as rt is on Defencman, i will take your review as a success for Summers. I know some of us had been down on him over the past two season, but I was always optimistic and I love the idea of us building a defensive corp around great puck moving defencman, this gives us great depth at that kind of position. Let's be honust JoVo wont be with us for ever. and w/ Yandal now Summers in the fold we should be able to produce a great blue line (ala CHI & SJ this season) that can get tons of scoring from all places. I think this may be a check in the good column for Barnny.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:27 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Thanks for the insight.
Likewise.

I actually still get the regional sports networks. By a strange turn of events, DirecTV would actually charge me more per month to get rid of it than keep it. I still have not watched any college hockey this season.

I will have to try to catch a Michigan game, because I have always enjoyed watching Summers play. The games I saw in the past, he did not appear to have much offensive upside, but he had speed, positioning and hitting ability would ought to make him either a solid defenseman or a solid checker/PK guy.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 03:56 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I see Tyler Johnson made the US squad. For those that may recall he participated in the Yotes rookie camp this year on an amateur tryout contract and did well enough to earn an invite to the main training camp. Though he went home without a contract.
Watching the US/Germany game, Tyler Johnson just scored.

Only eligible player on the US squad to go undrafted

Old
12-26-2008, 04:11 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Watching the US/Germany game, Tyler Johnson just scored.

Only eligible player on the US squad to go undrafted
It was a real nice goal. I liked Tyler, a lot. I just don't see any NHL potential there though, apparently a lot of other teams feel the same way. It's a shame, 5 more inches and the guy would make it for sure.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 05:01 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
The scary thing to think about is how many prospects from our top 20 we'll have graduating this year. Turris, Boedker, Tikhonov, Porter, and Lisin are all set to no longer be "prospects" just by games played. Josh Tordjman will be 24 in January and Al Montoya 24 in February, making both ineligible. Sean Sullivan is already 24 and Logan Stephenson has been traded.

That means nine new names in the top 20 at least. I imagine a few of them will be draft picks, but Stone, Darling, Brodeur, Hextall, Goncharov, and Long are all contenders to make that jump. Our top prospect will all of a sudden be someone like Brett MacLean, Chris Summers, or Chad Kolarik.
I think Darling and Goncharov could each jump into the top ten! Its interesting that on most sites, Goncharov is listed as 6'0" but I see him listed as 6'4" at the WJC going on it Ottawa right now. He scored a nice goal today on a hard one timer point shot and appears to be a lot taller than just 6'. He is scoring very well in the KHL but hopefully will want to rejoing his buddy Tikhonov next fall and come to the Coyotes' camp again, this time to stay!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 10:17 PM
ParisSaintGermain

World Juniors: Goncharov with one goal against Latvia today (Russia won 4-1).

Before the tournament's assessment on our two prospects:

-------------------
30. Maxim Goncharov, D, Russia - CSKA Moscow (KHL) - A fifth-round pick of the Phoenix Coyotes in 2007, Goncharov has been a solid contributor to his KHL team with nine points and a plus-7 rating in 33 games.

41. Vladimir Ruzicka, C, Czech Republic - Slavia Praha (Czech) - A fourth-round pick of the Coyotes in 2007, the son of the former NHLer of the same name has six points in 29 games in his second full season in the Czech league.
---------------

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_c...opRelated_main

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Kaizen

Goncharov measuring out at 6'4" would certainly be a bonus if he decides to cross the pond.

My guess is we would have heard more about Goncharov if he'd grown ~ 4" since draft day.

Regardless, Goncharov's start at the WJC is certainly encouraging.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I just finished up watching the Great Lakes Invitational tournament. Michigan won, defeating Michigan State by the score of five to one. Chris Summers was quite impressive, yet again. He had three primary assists and none of the three goals would've been scored without Summers' effort and skill. His passing was pretty and he busted his ass to keep the goal in the offensive zone. He saw big minutes on every power play and every penalty kill, inculding five on threes, either way. Our boy, Michigan's new captain since Porter turned pro, was also one of two defenseman named to the all-tournament team. He had an impressive game all-around, apart from the three big assists. He nearly had a short handed goal on a big rush, he threw the body around all night, he positioning was very good, as was his decision making as far as hitting versus stick checking, pinching versus backing off, and passing versus skating. He was also the victim of a chicken **** butt end square in the face. The captain chose not to retaliate, and Michigan enjoyed a quality power play as a result. Also, something interesting I noticed is that a couple of times, on set plays, Michigan would position him right in front of the opposing goaltender on the face off. Apparently, not only is he their best two-way defenseman, but they also seem to think he can be an effective power-forward.

With the skating, passing, smarts, physical play, and leadership, he kind of reminds me of a poor man's Keith Ballard. Or a Keith Ballard with the volume turned down a bit. Like Ballard he's solid defensively, though prone to the odd brain fart(perhaps more often than Ballard). Like Ballard he likes the end to end rush(though, I feel he's an even better skater than Balls). He has a physical edge and likes to hit, but it's not on the same level of Ballard(this is where the volume gets turned down a bit). Obviously Bally was an offensive machine in college and a Hobey Finalist(two things that Summers certainly is not), but Chris is new to his position(skating for the first time as a defenseman only a handful of years ago), and has shown a ton of improvement on the offensive side of things. If he continues to develop like this, he may actually be quite usefull on an NHL powerplay. He passes the puck well, has an underrated shot that he gets on goal more often than not, and he's excellent at holding the puck in the zone. He may not be as effective offensively as Ballard, but I think he may prove that he's not slouch, either.

Looks like a very good pick, and I'm really excited about this kid turning pro.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Not sure how many caught the amazing CAN/ RUS game, but Goncharov and the entire Russian Defense looked rock solid, heartful loss for them. Seriously can we dump Hale and bring Goncharov in this year?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
ducky

There is a Goncharov appreciation thread in the World Junior forum.

He was EXCELLENT tonight in the Canada - Russia game.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote