HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kessel or Toews?

View Poll Results: Choose
Phil Kessel 24 21.62%
Jonathan Toews 87 78.38%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Passchendaele

vCash: 500
Kessel or Toews?

Who's better?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:54 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Toews is the total package and has almost everything you could want in a hockey player.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Oh boy this won't be close.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamD1337 View Post
Oh boy this won't be close.
Well there is a lot more B's fans then Hawks on here so you never know.

Anyway Toews is the better player. Toews is just such great all around player. While he started off slow points wise not play wise he has just started to turn it up as of late. Kessel has been very hot to start the year and Has looked much better in his two way play. But Toews will probably end up catching him in points and is still much better in his own zone and leadership.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:21 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Jonathan Toews is awesome, no doubt. I just don't think he's as awesome as some people here do.

I think Toews will top out around 80-90 points in his prime while playing excellent two-way hockey and being a tremendous leader.

Kessel meanwhile I think will contend for the Rocket Richard trophy annually in his prime, and is a good bet to top 100 points more than once.

It all depends on what your team needs. In Boston, we already have two centers who play a similar two-way game to Toews in Bergeron and Krejci - not nearly as good, mind you, but we already have them. Factor in the leadership brought on by guys like Lucic and Stuart, and we're set in that department for the foreseeable future, as well.

Me? I take Kessel. I really think the sky is the limit for this kid, as evidenced by his current 15 game point streak and 55 goal pace at 21 years old.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
tony d
The Future

Jonathan Toews.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
bruinsfan46

This won't be anywhere as close as it should be. I'm gonna go with Kessel because the guy's offensive skills are unreal while he's turning into a solid defensive player. Toews has defense and supposedly leadership (I don't know how this can be confirmed) so he's gonna run away with this.

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Jonathan Toews is awesome, no doubt. I just don't think he's as awesome as some people here do.

I think Toews will top out around 80-90 points in his prime while playing excellent two-way hockey and being a tremendous leader.

Kessel meanwhile I think will contend for the Rocket Richard trophy annually in his prime, and is a good bet to top 100 points more than once.

It all depends on what your team needs. In Boston, we already have two centers who play a similar two-way game to Toews in Bergeron and Krejci - not nearly as good, mind you, but we already have them. Factor in the leadership brought on by guys like Lucic and Stuart, and we're set in that department for the foreseeable future, as well.

Me? I take Kessel. I really think the sky is the limit for this kid, as evidenced by his current 15 game point streak and 55 goal pace at 21 years old.
While I agree with almost every thing here, in the fact that it may depend on teams needs. But why do people think Toews is only going to be a 80-90 point player in his prime. I mean he is a 20 year old in his second season and will probably get 80 points this year. He started out real slow in the fact of getting points but was creating chances just not getting the bounces. He had 10 points in his first 15 games since then he has put 13 points in the last 12 games and he just keeps getting better. He can take over a game by himself, just look at some of the goals he scores, he can do everything at such a high speed. He will probably be a PPG player at 20 but people don't think he will improve and only be that in his prime.

Old
12-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
This won't be anywhere as close as it should be. I'm gonna go with Kessel because the guy's offensive skills are unreal while he's turning into a solid defensive player. Toews has defense and supposedly leadership (I don't know how this can be confirmed) so he's gonna run away with this.
Toews offensive skills are just as good as Kessel's. They will probably score around the same points through out there careers, with kessel being the better goal scorer while Toews is the better play maker. But Toews is the better two-way guy and leader.

Reasons to why Toews is a great leader can be found everywhere. He is the captain already. Guys like Lapointe and Stevie Y have raved about his leadership ability. It was a lot of his doing that lead to the whole Hawks team pay there own way to go to the funeral of the Hawks GM's father. This is just a couple reasons.

Old
12-14-2008, 02:59 PM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Pretty easily Toews IMO. Not to disrespect Kessel but if I'm building a team I want Toews all day.

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Toews. I've been a fan of his since his draft year, and this is coming from a Bruins fan.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Luongo2008*

Jonathan Toews

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Konk

Toews is the better all-around player, but Kessel is the more dominant offensive talent. A very difficult decision in my view.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Celestial Black

Toews.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhary9 View Post
Toews offensive skills are just as good as Kessel's. They will probably score around the same points through out there careers, with kessel being the better goal scorer while Toews is the better play maker. But Toews is the better two-way guy and leader.

Reasons to why Toews is a great leader can be found everywhere. He is the captain already. Guys like Lapointe and Stevie Y have raved about his leadership ability. It was a lot of his doing that lead to the whole Hawks team pay there own way to go to the funeral of the Hawks GM's father. This is just a couple reasons.
Completely agree, Kessel is a very good player and I think they have similar offensive upsides, but I'll give Toews the edge on pretty much everything you don't see on the scoresheet.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Toews.

Ivyy13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Toews

12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
The Big Swede

No offence to bruins fans but Toews pretty easily

The guy is the total package and is already one of the best players in the league and is still relatively young.

No disrespect to Kessel but lets see if he can continue to score in bunches like this

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
No offence to bruins fans but Toews pretty easily

The guy is the total package and is already one of the best players in the league and is still relatively young.

No disrespect to Kessel but lets see if he can continue to score in bunches like this
See, this is what I don't understand. How is Toews "already among the best players in the league?" What has he accomplished thus far in the NHL to warrant such praise? Further, where does the cutoff lie in a list like this? I can name around 30 players off the top of my head who are better players than Toews right now.

I just don't understand this argument. At all.

Old
12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
AgentNaslund*

PHil Kessel was one of my favorite players from the 06 draft. But cant count out Toews.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
See, this is what I don't understand. How is Toews "already among the best players in the league?" What has he accomplished thus far in the NHL to warrant such praise? Further, where does the cutoff lie in a list like this? I can name around 30 players off the top of my head who are better players than Toews right now.

I just don't understand this argument. At all.
Why? Just watch him play. He has been a impact player since the moment he stepped on the ice in Chi. He did not play like a rookie, heck he doesn't even play like a young kid. He plays like a veteran does anything and everything to win. I know everyone is just about #'s but he does so much for the Hawks, he is the corners, in front of the net setting screens. Plus he was still in the top 50 in PPG last year.

Old
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhary9 View Post
Why? Just watch him play. He has been a impact player since the moment he stepped on the ice in Chi. He did not play like a rookie, heck he doesn't even play like a young kid. He plays like a veteran does anything and everything to win. I know everyone is just about #'s but he does so much for the Hawks, he is the corners, in front of the net setting screens. Plus he was still in the top 50 in PPG last year.
I've watched him play, and honestly, he doesn't impress me nearly as much as Kane does. He's good, no doubt about it. I just don't think he's this second coming of Steve Yzerman like many (mostly Canadians or Hawks fans, go figure) do.

Old
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Harrison Ford

toews

Harrison Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
I've watched him play, and honestly, he doesn't impress me nearly as much as Kane does. He's good, no doubt about it. I just don't think he's this second coming of Steve Yzerman like many (mostly Canadians or Hawks fans, go figure) do.
Everything doesn't revolve around scoring goals and getting points.

I could care less about the stats.

Just watch the way he plays,he plays like hes much older.Most young players in the league cant do that

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
If its just Hawks and Canadians that think that, then why is about the only votes for Kessel are from B's fans? And some B's fans even voted for Toews.