HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Fierce

vCash: 500
Ville Järveläinen(-93 born forward) of HPK tearing up in B-juniors. He has played 12 games and collected 27(11+16) points so far and sits second in the scoring. I've seen him only once this season, but seems to be a very interesting case. Very small(163/63), but he has the rare gift of being in the right place at the right time. It's interesting to see how this kid turns out to be. Excellent tools to be an effective scorer, but his size is huge weakness. I know he is going grow bigger than he is right now, but isn't he smaller than most of kids in his age group?

Old
12-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Ville Järveläinen(-93 born forward) of HPK tearing up in B-juniors. He has played 12 games and collected 27(11+16) points so far and sits second in the scoring. I've seen him only once this season, but seems to be a very interesting case. Very small(163/63), but he has the rare gift of being in the right place at the right time. It's interesting to see how this kid turns out to be. Excellent tools to be an effective scorer, but his size is huge weakness. I know he is going grow bigger than he is right now, but isn't he smaller than most of kids in his age group?
I saw him play in Jr.C during last season, and all I can say is that it was amusing to watch Järveläinen and his 92born linemate Rautiainen (164cm, 64kg) terrorise their opponent, by causing absolute havoc in the offensive zone. Seems that Järveläinen has since then surpassed Rautiainen in scoring efficiency, but the fact that Rautiainen is with the U17 national team shows that he's also a promising player.

It's a longshot, and I know that Theo Fleury was unique and a freak of nature, but who's to say that a 5'5''-5'6'' tall player with almost similar hockey skills couldn't reapear in the future? At least at the SM-liiga level?

By checking B-SM(final series) stats from past few years, you can see that Järveläinen's points per game average that he has produced so far is unmatched:

05-06 season(Top scoring 90's in Jr.B):
ERKKILÄ Mika (HPK) 19gp 8g+6a=14p (0.74ppg)
TUOMINEN Martin (TPS) 12gp 6g+5a=11p (0.92ppg)
VALVISTO Samuli (Lukko) 22gp 5g+6a=11p (0.50ppg)
ELO Eero (Lukko) 21gp 4g+7a=11p (0.52ppg)
HONKA Juuso (TPS) 10gp 3g+3a=6p (0.60ppg)

06-07 season(Top scoring 91's in Jr.B):
KARJALAINEN Joni (HIFK) 26gp 10g+27a=37p (1.42ppg)
HAULA Erik (Ässät) 24gp 13g+19a=32p (1.33ppg)
RAJALA Toni (Ilves) 21gp 11g+21a=32p (1.52ppg)
NÄTTINEN Joonas (JYP) 21gp 5g+19a=24p (1.14ppg)
LAAKSONEN Jere (Lukko) 21gp 11gp+5a=16p (0.76ppg)

07-08 season(Top scoring 92's in Jr.B):
PULKKINEN Teemu (Jokerit)23gp 23g+17a=40p (1.74ppg)
GRANLUND Mikael (Kärpät) 22gp 18g+22a=40p (1.82ppg)
DONSKOI Joonas (Kärpät) 21gp 9g+14a=23p (1.10ppg)
KOSKI Eetu (Lukko) 24gp 9g+11a=20p (0.83ppg)
HALINEN Petteri (Blues) 24gp 4g+14a=18p (0.75ppg)

08-09 season(Top scoring 93's in JR.B so far):
JÄRVELÄINEN Ville (HPK) 12gp 11g+16=27p (2.25ppg)
WILENIUS Tomi (Ilves) 9gp 8g+4a=12p (1.33ppg)
KOKKONEN Jesper (Ilves) 11gp 3g+7a=10p (0.91ppg)
REKONEN Aleksi (Jokerit) 10gp 2g+5a=7p (0.70ppg)
NIEMITALO Aleksi (Kärpät) 9gp 1g+5a=6p (0.67ppg)

Old
12-15-2008, 04:51 AM
FinProspects

Why they all are so small? Damn, 164cm is just too small. Hopefullu he will grow to at least 170cm, so there could be a chance for him to be a pro player. Actually I noticed also his stats couple of weeks ago, and went to check his height/weight. I was pretty amazed, to say the least. His stats are ridicilous, especially compared to C-junior stats last year where he put like 1,5 points per game or so.
Can you provide some more exact info on him? Like compared to our "star" prospects? It is obvious that he has special offensive gifts. How is his skating, acceleration/speed? Vision? Defensive game (if there is any)?

Old
12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
Can you provide some more exact info on him? Like compared to our "star" prospects? It is obvious that he has special offensive gifts. How is his skating, acceleration/speed? Vision? Defensive game (if there is any)?
My observations are from last season, so someone else can give us a more up to date description of his game. It's also obvious that he has progressed significantly from last season, there's just no other way of explaining his present stats.

Skating: From what I can remember, he was a quick skater and smoothly changed directions with the puck, so defenders were in trouble with him. His top speed was good, but not exceptionally great so that's at least one of the areas that needs some improvement, if he desires to play pro hockey with his ~present height.

Vision: The way he collaborated with his linemate Rautiainen showed that he has a great teamwork ability. I also believe that he will be capable of producing great results when lined up with other creative players. He was also good in supporting linemates that had the puck, by creating more options and room/(free space) for them.

Puck skills: With such a short reach he's obviously incapable of effectively doing some of the fancy stuff, but his puck control seemed good. don't remember how his shot looked, but his passes were very accurate.

Defensive game: Honestly, I don't remember how his defensive game looked, but then again Jr.C level doesn't tell that much about defensive game of wingers, because most of the defenders are fairly passive.

Characteristics: I was left with an impression that he wanted to be involved in his team's game as much as possible and wasn't affraid of going to situations, which I think is a very good sign when we are talking about such a small player.

Stats of Jr.C final series from last season:
9th JÄRVELÄINEN Ville (HPK) 13gp 8g+14a=22p
12th RAUTIAINEN Teemu (HPK) 13gp 10g+10a=20p

Last edited by Tormentor: 12-15-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old
05-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Link to: European Preliminary Rankings

Finland Skaters:
1. F -91 NÄTTINEN Joonas, Blues
2. D -91 VATANEN Sami, Jyp
3. F -91 RAJALA Toni, Ilves
4. D -90 NÄKYVÄ Kristian, Blues
5. F -90 JORMAKKA Pekka, JYP
6. F -89 SALLINEN Tomi, Blues
7. F -90 SALLINEN Jere, Blues
8. D -91 RISSANEN Rasmus, Kalpa
9. F -90 RASK Joonas, Ilves
10. D -90 ERONEN Teemu, Jokerit
11. F -90 HELENIUS Jani, Jokerit
12. F -90 BLOMQVIST Sami, Blues
13. D -90 VIDGREN Tony, Lukko
14. D -89 JYRKKIÖ Jesse, Ässät
15. F -91 PAKARINEN Iiro, Kalpa
16. D -91 MANELIUS Nico, Jokerit
17. F -91 KARJALAINEN Joni, HIFK
18. F -91 LAAKSONEN Jere, Lukko
19. F -91 TALBERG Teemu, HIFK
20. F -89 ROPPO Antti, Ilves
21. F -90 PITKÄNEN Ilmari, Jokerit
22. F -91 TERVONEN Sami, Jokerit
23. D -90 VITTASMÄKI Veli-Matti, TPS
24. F -91 KUMPULAINEN Janne, JYP
25. F -90 MYTTYNEN Matias, Ilves

Finland Goalies:
1. -88 KOSKINEN Mikko, Blues
2. -91 ORTIO Joni, TPS
3. -89 RAANTA Antti, Lukko
4. -91 TUOHIMAA Frans, HIFK
5. -91 HAKONEN Matti, Kalpa

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to: Western Hockey League Preliminary Rankings

WHL Skaters:
7. D -91 KIVISTÖ Tommi, Red Deer Rebels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to: Players to Watch for 2008

Erik Haula is ranked among US High School West list as an A rating player. That means that he's a must see player who is predicted to be a potential First or Second Round Draft selection in the upcoming NHL entry draft.
Just came across this and thought it would be interesting to re-visit - both for whom is not included that should be - but also as to who has either dropped or risen in the eyes of scouts.

Goaltenders - Seems to be fairly similar to the end of the year rankings - only notable thing to me is the absence of Suomalainen and Rinne, who are included in CSB's final rankings. Tuohimaa and Hakonen were not included on the CBS rankings, for what it's worth. Three other goalies I'd be curious about are SaiPa's Jani Sihvonen ('91), Ilves' Niko Sulkanen ('90) and Juuso Oinonen ('88) of Jokipojat. Obviously, Oinonen did not have a great two years in Helsinki with HIFK but it seems he rebounded nicely after returning to his home club in Joensuu - admittedly, Mestis and Division I are not the same as the SM-Liiga.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Skaters

Easier to break this into two posts rather than scrollin up and down..

With regards to defensemen, I'd be curious as to why Nico Manelius was so low on this list - assuming it was prior to him injuring his knee. It seems that Vatanen if anything has improved his reputation and was already the top rated defender. On the flip side, would it be fair to say that Rissanen, Eronen, and Vidgren have slipped a bit since I haven't heard as much about them or is that reading too much into things? Of the player's not named, I had heard that Glen Hanlon was pretty impressed with Heikki Hyvonen ('89) prior to the season but don't hear him mentioned as a "prospect". Other '89's I'd be curious to know more about are Ilari Melart, Joonas Jarvinen, and Niko Kluuskeri. And among the younger players (1991 and 1990 born), are there any others that maybe should be included? (Ville Hietekko, Joonas Purolinna, Kai Lehtinen, Villle Hyvarinen)?

In the forward positions, I'd be curious to see whether teams select Rajala for his potential or Nattinen - who seems to be the "safer" pick but doesn't project to be the impact player that Rajala can be - first. Haven't heard as much about Jormakka lately and it's interesting that both Sallinen's are listed. I've seen very little about Jere, who has played more at the SM-Liiga level, while Tomi is rated by Central Scouting. Of those mentioned, I'd be curious to know who's either slid or gone up in they eyes of scouts. Also, I'd be curious as to whether or not Moses Mustonen or Ville Jantunen would be included on an end of the season list?

Old
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Tomi Wilinius And Jesper Kokkonen!

Old
06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
korben*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
With regards to defensemen, I'd be curious as to why Nico Manelius was so low on this list - assuming it was prior to him injuring his knee. It seems that Vatanen if anything has improved his reputation and was already the top rated defender.
Bit slow reply, lol. Nico isn´t that big boy either. And his talent is more at own end. Specially NHL wise. Not that he is completely useless in making plays and sometimes jumping into rush. Even being PP QB, Vatanen is more your "Rafalski" type guy. That barely holds his own at own end. But is inspirational when he has the puck.

I like Nico VERY much, but have to admit that size does matter when speaking of (mainly) own end Ds.

Vatanen-Manelius make nicely balancing D pair.

At least Vatanen can play some D, unlike Kivistö whose should thank Nico of his reputation as mildly promising prospect. One stat. Manelius won leagues +/- stat as 16 year old in junior A (20-year olds). Jokerit finished 7th that season. Nuff said?

Old
08-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Tormentor

Bump...

I admit that I haven’t been all that positive before when talking about Miikka Salomäki, but after the performance he put up today, I must give him some praise. He played with Kärpät’s Jr.A team against Kiekko-Laser’s Suomi-Sarja team while Kärpät won 4-3. Salomäki was unable to score, but played very well for a kid of his age. He had something like 4 or 5 scoring chances and overall looked like a player that could very well be ready for Jr.A hockey already during the upcoming season. Skill has always been there, but now he works a lot harder on the ice by moving more without the puck and by actually taking part to defensive plays. He even skated hard to the bench after sifts, truly a drastic change when comparing to the past. His skating still looks a bit heavy, but in the end it shouldn’t matter that much for a player with his hockey sense and skill level as long as he keeps working hard. Also in contrary to the past times that I’ve seen him play, he played as a center forward instead of a winger and it seemed to suit him well.

Also I’m fairly certain that I spotted last season’s Pohjola camp top scorer Jaakko Hautamäki playing for Sport’s Jr.B team while they tied 3-3 with Kärpät’s Jr.B team. At least there was a forward wearing number 14 that scored a goal and his name was announced to be Hautamäki. He looked quite a lot taller than 179cm, which was his height at the Pohjola Camp. Not a player with an exceptionally high skill level, but when compared to another tall 94-born forward Oskari Lehtinen, he seemed to be better in controling his body at higher speeds and was therefore better at handling the puck in those situations. Could be a player to watch for, but I would like to see a full game from him before saying anything more.

Last edited by Tormentor: 08-01-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM
hifk88

Hello everybody.

A new CSM season will start in couple of weeks and i was doing research and i put together this list of underaged (-95) players who will play in the CSM (C-94) this season + players that are already important players in their teams. It's always nice to know if there are any younger players on the ice, especially if they dominate (like Rajala, Granlund & Pulkkinen) with the olders.

So here's some players to look forward next season. I will update this list as soon as finhockey will put the rosters on their website, which should happen pretty soon.

Artturi Lehkonen, TPS C-94
Joose Antonen, Ilves C-94
Jonatan Tanus, Tappara C-94 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZjFEce0SM
Samuli Kanerva, TPS C-94
Aleksi Mustonen, Jokerit C-94
Sasha Barkov, Tappara C-94
Niklas Lehtimäki, Ässät C-94
Timi Lahtinen, Jokerit C-94
Eetu Koivistoinen, Blues C-94
Juuso Ikonen, Blues C-94
Janne Puhakka, Blues C-94
Felix Westermarck, Blues C-94
Juho Väliaho, Blues C-94 (D)
Alex Lintuniemi, HIFK C-94 (D)
Miska Auria, HIFK C-94 (D)
Niko Kivelä, Jokerit C-94
Oskari Ojanen, Tappara C-94
Mikael Vihriälä, Tappara C-94
Erik Linnemäki, ?????
Saku Kinnunen, KalPa C-94
Matias Pulli, TPS C-94
Elmeri Eronen, TPS C-94 (D)
Oskari Siiki, TPS C-94
Arttu Seppänen, HPK C-94
Mikke Levo, Ilves C-94 (D)
Julius Vähätalo, TuTo C-94
Sami Anttila, Kärpät C-94
Robin Kokkonen, Flemingsberg Ik C-95
Julius Valtonen, Jokerit C-95
Panu Mieho, Jokerit C-95
Roope Kuhakoski, K-Kissat C-95
Robin Naapila, K-Kissat C-95 (D)
Otso Talvitie, EJK C-95

http://www.turnauspalvelu.com/Tourna...urnamentID=135

Last edited by hifk88: 09-12-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
korben*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifk88 View Post
Too early. Period.

Old
08-28-2009, 06:26 PM
hifk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
Too early. Period.
Maybe, but some of us just wants to know early.

Seriously, i gave the names of my list to the people who are/were curious. Thats all. Granlund, Pulkkinen and Rajala turned out pretty well although we knew them at this same age 4 years ago.

Old
08-28-2009, 06:43 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Maybe, but some of us just wants to know early.

Seriously, i gave the names of my list to the people who are/were curious. Thats all. Granlund, Pulkkinen and Rajala turned out pretty well although we knew them at this same age 4 years ago.
and it's hockey's FUTURE. always interesting to read about prospects. some turn out good, some bad. that's part of the prospect game.

Old
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
korben*

Quote:
Seriously, i gave the names of my list to the people who are/were curious. Thats all. Granlund, Pulkkinen and Rajala turned out pretty well
None of 94s are close of em. Period.

Old
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
korben*

At the moment. Who knows? SDP wants all to be equal. And odds are that they rule our country come next election. Skip tough year and shout from sidelines. Just like last time!

Old
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
korben*

Read - it is nearly a crime to be better than other. Specially at that age. Seriously! All are equal.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben View Post
Read - it is nearly a crime to be better than other. Specially at that age. Seriously! All are equal.
Nuori Suomi?

Old
08-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Korkki

Luckily the stupid equality program is slowly going to history. In Helsinki area it has been gone for a while already, but now also in the countryside it is understood that nuori suomi sucks with most of its rules.

Quote:
So here's some players to look forward next season. I will update this list as soon as finhockey will put the rosters on their website, which should happen pretty soon.
Most of the teams are already named in the team websites, so check those for lists if you want...

Old
09-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokem View Post
does anyone know where the rankings of the north american and europeans skaters and goalies can be found?
The Central Scouting website would be a good place to start - although they won't have their 2010 rankings out for a while. Also, a neat feature on their website is the positional "checklists" that they've put out which show how players are evaluated by their professional staff. While I'm sure it's quite subjective - and I'm sure there may be wide variations between different evaluators - it's an awful lot more transparent than some of the methods used to evaluate players in other sports.

It was pretty interesting to me. And I'm sure various organizations can weight certain areas depending on their particular preferences or styles of play.

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/

Old
10-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Tormentor

94-born TPS defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen will play his first Jr.A match tonight against HIFK. It's fairly rare that a Jr.C aged player plays in Jr.A, at least nowadays.

Old
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
94-born TPS defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen will play his first Jr.A match tonight against HIFK. It's fairly rare that a Jr.C aged player plays in Jr.A, at least nowadays.
do you have any more info on him,14 and playing in a 20 year old league!?

Old
10-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandKristian View Post
do you have any more info on him,
So far I've only seen him once and that was last season when he played in Jr.C. He looked solid defensively, worked hard and had pretty good lateral movement, but didn't standout too much offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandKristian View Post
14 and playing in a 20 year old league!?
As I said, it's fairly rare, but TPS has loaned some players to a Mestis team TuTo and they might have some injuries as well, so they seem to have a need for substitutive players. And he will turn 15 in two and a half weeks, so I guess it doesn't sound that odd anymore.

Old
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
WOW.

Rasmus Ristolainen is already 6'0 165... I can expect him to be about 6'4" by draft day.

Old
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
WOW.

Rasmus Ristolainen is already 6'0 165... I can expect him to be about 6'4" by draft day.
maybe now he wont drop to the fourth round by the stupid size crap so im guessing he must be pretty special to be playing in jr.A

Old
10-11-2009, 06:08 AM
hifk88

Oskari Lehtinen played his first game today with TPS C-juniors and had 8 goals and 7 assists.

15 points in one game should be some kind of record in this level. I know the opponent's team was crappy, so it's not that big of a deal, but still.

Closed Thread