HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

chris phillips

Old
12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Jackie Treehorn

vCash: 500
chris phillips

if ottawa is out of the playoff race and your team needs a shutdown guy for a playoff run, what would you give up?

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Not much, honestly. He's 30, doesn't put up significant offensive numbers, and is only a 2nd line pair guy (a team worst -12 this season).

Seeing as teams overpay at the deadline, I'd say a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a prospect.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Alfie112*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Not much, honestly. He's 30, doesn't put up significant offensive numbers, and is only a 2nd line pair guy (a team worst -12 this season).

Seeing as teams overpay at the deadline, I'd say a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a prospect.
AHAHHAHAH LMAO. WOW. I hope your joking. Philips is one of the best shutdown Dmen in the League man. He is worth way more than " a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a prospect" ......... WOW

Alfie112* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Nylander, Lepisto, and a pick?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Chea*

Quote:

I think that's way off. He's a workhorse defensemen, and one of the better defensive defensemen in the league.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie112 View Post
AHAHHAHAH LMAO. WOW. I hope your joking. Philips is one of the best shutdown Dmen in the League man. He is worth way more than " a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with a prospect" ......... WOW
Yeah, people keep saying that; mostly fans from Ottawa. No one else considers him that. He's good, but getting older.

Old
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Yeah, people keep saying that; mostly fans from Ottawa. No one else considers him that. He's good, but getting older.
i hate ott and i think hes a great shut down d

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
i hate ott and i think hes a great shut down d
He is good, and I'm not trying to short change the guy, but if they traded him I don't think they'd get alot.

Old
12-14-2008, 09:17 PM
HSF

he has a NTC and pretty sure he married someone from otown... he aint gonna be moving

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
He is good, and I'm not trying to short change the guy, but if they traded him I don't think they'd get alot.
look what they got for adam foot last year a mid 1st and 4th so i think your a little off there

Old
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

do you realise your shut down guy has the worst +/- on your team he's a minus 12. I wouldn't compare Phillips with Foote. Not even close to the same player.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
do you realise your shut down guy has the worst +/- on your team he's a minus 12. I wouldn't compare Phillips with Foote. Not even close to the same player.
look at his +/- from other years +/- is more a reflection on the team not the player =) ex Rod Brind'Amour this year and hes won the troph for best def foreword how many times?
Ex2-according to your logic Steve Montador is the best shutdown D in the game right now...

Old
12-14-2008, 09:34 PM
surshot*

I would offer Grebeshkov and a 2nd rounder for him.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:35 PM
surshot*

Quote:
That just means he is playing lots of minutes while his team is not scoring.

Old
12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
From the Oilers, Grebeshkov and Staios.

Grebeshkov is a very good puck mover who can QB a power play (we already have 3 of these). Staios is Staios--mostly steady, but kind of over paid.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:39 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
That just means he is playing lots of minutes while his team is not scoring.
ya he plays against the top lines of every team we face, AND we arent scoring much right now.... so his +/- is pretty much doomed

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:
Tom Preissing was +40 two seasons ago.

+/- is for the most part a team stat.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
LombardiTool

I am a Kings fan only and dont know that much about Phillips but I find it funny that people think a 30 year old hockey player is old. 30 years old is just going into their prime.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I would think a guy like him would garner a good pick, a good NHL player, and a good prospect from Washington. The Caps have ample good young talent in juniors/college/Europe, good young talent in the AHL, and good young talent just breaking into the NHL. The team's area of greatest need is shutdown veteran defense.

Incidentally, 30 is not old, not for defensemen. It's just about the beginning of a defenseman's prime.

That said, if Phillips truly did hit the open market, he'd generate quite a bit of interest, and not only from playoff contenders. He's not a rental. The obvious limitation would be his NTC, which may mean he has no interest in going anywhere, or may mean he's only interested in calling his spot.

All that said, I don't really think the Senators would trade him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
I am a Kings fan only and dont know that much about Phillips but I find it funny that people think a 30 year old hockey player is old. 30 years old is just going into their prime.
A brief history of Phillips. He's a real character guy in the room and on the ice. He used to be a forward and his first couple of seasons as a Sens were as such. Then he moved to defense where his mobility, steadiness and heavy shot made him a fan favourite. Many in Ottawa think he's the reason Chara put up such great numbers as a Sen and why Volchenkov seemingly broke out as his partner. Also Redden went from good Redden to bad Redden after switching from Phillips to Meszaros.

There was a story about him, I can't find it right now, but basically he's had to be a man for a long time with his parents both being handicapped in some way and him having to care for his family. He's really like the Sens older brother character.

He'd easily need a 1st and more with that affordable contract he's on and ability to make his partner a star.

I'd say a 1st, young prospect and a maybe good AHL player for the farm.

Something like a 1st, Stewart/Welch and someone from the AHL for Florida

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
even if we dont make the playoffs, i dont think we would get rid of him, he's probably like alfredsson, a sen for life, but he's worth alot, at 30, still shuting down people like Alexandre Ovechkin, its still impressive...If you look at Sidney Crosby's point of view, he cant ever get through Chris Phillips wich results as why he only has 1 goal again Ottawa in his career.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
even if we dont make the playoffs, i dont think we would get rid of him, he's probably like alfredsson, a sen for life, but he's worth alot, at 30, still shuting down people like Alexandre Ovechkin, its still impressive...If you look at Sidney Crosby's point of view, he cant ever get through Chris Phillips wich results as why he only has 1 goal again Ottawa in his career.
Actually its 1 goal in the regular season against Ottawa, hes scored multiple times against us in the playoffs.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
look at his +/- from other years +/- is more a reflection on the team not the player =) ex Rod Brind'Amour this year and hes won the troph for best def foreword how many times?
Ex2-according to your logic Steve Montador is the best shutdown D in the game right now...
All I'm saying is that the shut down guy shouldn't have the worst +/- on the team. Maybe that assumption is wrong but I don't think so. I'm not saying Phillips is a bad dman but it doesn't look good. As to your comments about Brind'Amour you do realize he's not the player he use to be. He's 38 and his +/- is ridiculous this year on a team where it shouldn't be. I don't know what's happened to him. He'd surely have lost a step by now but those numbers are crazy. He's not even close to the next guy behind him. It's just one of those crazy things I guess.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
surshot*

Quote:
All I'm saying is that the shut down guy shouldn't have the worst +/- on the team. Maybe that assumption is wrong but I don't think so. I'm not saying Phillips is a bad dman but it doesn't look good. As to your comments about Brind'Amour you do realize he's not the player he use to be. He's 38 and his +/- is ridiculous this year on a team where it shouldn't be. I don't know what's happened to him. He'd surely have lost a step by now but those numbers are crazy. He's not even close to the next guy behind him. It's just one of those crazy things I guess.
+- has always been a crazy stat. Way to many variable's at the best of times.

Old
12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
oilerfan17

Cole + Grebeshkov + Nilsson for Phillips + Vermette + Neil + McAmmond

Salaries cancel out. Thoughts?

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote