Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Class1723

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Laird is apparently close to getting traded, maybe to Detroit or Cincinnati.

I'd be happy with a Teagarden/Salty platoon next year if the Red Sox aren't going to give a good enough return for one of the young catchers.
I saw that too. I hope he does. He has been very dissapointing. I didnt understand why Buck chose to play Barajas so much but Laird just does not look like a starter to me. I would rather see what Teagarden and Ramirez can do. I know what we saw from Teagarden was not what he has done in the minors but I saw enough to want more.. I also hope they move Blalock.. He was predicted to be a MVP or batting champ. Since then it seems like he swings for the fences every time. I know he has been hurt but it almost seems like he swings too hard for his own body at times... Especially when following a big hit by a teammate. Just my opinion though...

Old
12-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Chad_

re: Blalock

Years on the juice does that to one's body and has the effect of trying to move away from prior form.

Old
12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Class1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
re: Blalock

Years on the juice does that to one's body and has the effect of trying to move away from prior form.
Yea you are probably right. Its a shame what MLB let happen to the league. I mean I was never someone who thought 80% used roids but frickin Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs 1 year... Seems like a bit of a red flag to me.!

Old
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
starsfan4ever

At this point I really do not care what we get for Laird. Well, hopefully some good relievers. As long as Teagarden and Salty get playing time next year it is all good....

Old
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Chad_

I used to breathe baseball until the steroids era was uncovered. I still love the game, but not nearly as much. Steroids and other now banned performance enhancers were rampant throughout the league, much higher than 80 percent.

Blalock was always a guy who would hit for average in the minors. He was known for hitting lefties and for hitting to the opposite field. About two seasons into the Majors, he started trying to rip the cover off the ball after a very productive power season, which made him one-dimensional. But one of the side effect of using 'roids is the wear and team on one's body. Bonds got away with it because he's a freak of nature, but for guys that aren't freaks of nature, it tears up joints more than anything else. That's been the main injury problems with Blalock, so I just assume he did juice like most other players and is now off the stuff so he cannot recover as fast as he used to or play with the pain as he always did.

Old
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
At this point I really do not care what we get for Laird. Well, hopefully some good relievers. As long as Teagarden and Salty get playing time next year it is all good....
Laird needs to be out of the picture. He's a sub-par receiving catcher and Teagarden is the real deal behind the plate, if he can stay healthy. If he can hit above .240, all the better. Salty is even improving his arm and he's already a better caller than Laird.

Old
12-05-2008, 06:22 PM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
Laird needs to be out of the picture. He's a sub-par receiving catcher and Teagarden is the real deal behind the plate, if he can stay healthy. If he can hit above .240, all the better. Salty is even improving his arm and he's already a better caller than Laird.
Salty is killing in winter ball.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
I used to breathe baseball until the steroids era was uncovered. I still love the game, but not nearly as much. Steroids and other now banned performance enhancers were rampant throughout the league, much higher than 80 percent.

Blalock was always a guy who would hit for average in the minors. He was known for hitting lefties and for hitting to the opposite field. About two seasons into the Majors, he started trying to rip the cover off the ball after a very productive power season, which made him one-dimensional. But one of the side effect of using 'roids is the wear and team on one's body. Bonds got away with it because he's a freak of nature, but for guys that aren't freaks of nature, it tears up joints more than anything else. That's been the main injury problems with Blalock, so I just assume he did juice like most other players and is now off the stuff so he cannot recover as fast as he used to or play with the pain as he always did.
Blalock is more injury prone than Havlat + Lehtinen combined!

Old
12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Cowboys are holding on after a turnover riddled first half

Old
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
oooooo......

Jinxed them.

Old
12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
The way Romo was throwing the ball I wouldn't be surprised if he reinjured his hand.

What a crushing defeat. Especially considering how well the defense played, probably the best its capable of playing, and how Choice stepped up.

Old
12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
starsfan4ever

Most heart breaking team ever..

Old
12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Chad_

Quote:
That's it. You're banned from watching future Cowboys games, you jinx!

Old
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Class1723

Quote:
You get your wish.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=tex

LAS VEGAS -- The Rangers have acquired Minor League pitchers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo from the Tigers for catcher Gerald Laird.

Moscoso is a 25-year-old right-hander from Venezuela who was 5-4 with a 2.70 ERA in 21 games, including 12 starts, between Class A Lakeland and Double-A Erie this past season. Moscoso, who can both start and pitch in relief, is 2-1 with an 8.36 ERA in eight games in the Venezuelan Winter League.

Melo, 17, is a 6-foot-3 right-hander from the Dominican Republic who has yet to pitch in the United States. He was 3-3 with a 5.14 ERA in 14 games in the Dominican Summer League with 61 strikeouts and 20 walks in 49 innings. The report on him is that he has an "electric" fastball.

Old
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Chad_

By mid-May, Laird will go into one of his normal prolonged slumps as a starter, be replaced if only temporarily and start stalking the Detroit Free Press Tigers beat writer to make sure the paper has his opinion upon not playing every single day, always having to do with the manager or organization and not his play.

One tool, a head big enough for five players.

Old
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Class1723

I am a little dissapointed they couldnt swing a deal for someone closer to the majors but if the two kids have talent then maybe it will work out.

I agree with you on Laird's attitude though. After I heard his comments about the catching situation and the team owed it to him to figure it out, I did not see how they could let him stay on the team.

Old
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Class1723

On the plus side maybe now I wont have to hear about how fast Laird is for a catcher!!!!!!! That in itself is almost as good as when I got to stop hearing about what a good eye Wilkerson had and dont worry about the k's he will walk just as much.. To tell the truth I just hope to stop hearing Grieve altogether. Not a big fan of Lewin either but I would like to see what he could do with someone else before I judged him.

Old
12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1723 View Post
I am a little dissapointed they couldnt swing a deal for someone closer to the majors but if the two kids have talent then maybe it will work out.

I agree with you on Laird's attitude though. After I heard his comments about the catching situation and the team owed it to him to figure it out, I did not see how they could let him stay on the team.
Moscoso isn't that far from major league ready, if he'll ever make it and be at least a semi-regular performer. Since he's on the 40, it wouldn't surprise me to see him coming out of the 'pen by June for at least a try-out. Melo is very far, but he's the wild card in the trade. He's the exact type of player JD covets in these deals because if the player never pans out, so be it. If he does progress, great.

The thing that really bothered me about Laird wasn't his play, be it his sub-standard defensive ability despite what many presume to be good or his prolonged hitting slumps that forced him out of the starting lineup, it was his attitude. He felt like he was owed things rather than proving to the team that he deserved to start. The Teixeira trade bringing in Saltalamachia was done when Laird was struggling big time without anyone behind him pushing for his starting spot. Salty comes in, pushes Laird and Laird starts to play just a tad better. This past season rolls around and Laird struggles out of the gate because no one is behind him pushing hard for his job until Texas brings Salty back to the majors. After that, Laird starts to play better and whines that he has to compete for a job he feels should be handed to him. Disgusting.

Old
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Yeah, I agree that Laird's attitude was poor at best. The guy's perception of himself far outstripped his actual abilities. Might as well unload Millwood now too, since he only liked throwing to Laird and insisted on doing so.

Old
12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I like how the Dallas fans are booing T.O.

Old
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
HUGE WIN and I mean HUGE

Old
12-14-2008, 10:40 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
HUGE WIN and I mean HUGE
It's even better that Crayton and "Cricket" were on the receiving end of Romo's TD passes.

Seriously though, Ware is a beast. He needs 3.5 sacks to break/tie the NFL sack record. I think he has a shot, and I’d love to see him break it while wrecking McNabb.

Old
12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Fairly shocked at that one. There's some real nice depth at a bunch of positions and that depth stepped up (again). They should just roll with Choice as the feature back until Barber feels right. Proctor is going to be the end of Romo though.

Old
12-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Chad_

Nice win for the 'Boys, and a much needed one. Choice sure has looked good the past couple of games.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Nice win for the 'Boys, and a much needed one. Choice sure has looked good the past couple of games.
I think it was the correct choice for Dallas to use him in the running game.......

Closed Thread