HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Can Vancouver sign Gaborik and Hossa this offseason

Old
12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

vCash: 500
They could but that doesn't mean they will...the situation with the Wings is still kinda up in the air with Hossa. Hossa would definitely be the more desirable free agent considering Gaborik's such an injury risk. Gaborik will get you numbers but I don't know if he'll necessarily make you a better team though. Hossa is a true impact player.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
LA will be happy to take the Sedin's off your hands.

Frolov - Kopitar - O'Sullivan

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Brown

Stoll - Handzus - Moller

Simmonds - Boyle - Purcell

Dustin Brown would give the twins lots of room to operate.
Looks pretty damn good to me. Draft Hedman, dump Handzus or Stoll to clear cap space add a goalie and we got a shot.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
spennygg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
just imagine having all that cap space on IR.

Gaborik, Demitra, Salo.....
Salo still plays for the canucks?

spennygg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Marian Hossa ($7.45M) - Pavol Demitra ($4M) - Marian Gaborik ($7.5M)
Mason Raymond ($0.833M) - Kyle Wellwood ($1M) - Steve Bernier ($2.5M)
Alexandre Burrows ($1.5M) - Ryan Kesler ($1.75M) - Jannik Hansen ($0.75M)
Darcy Hordichuk ($0.75M) - Ryan Johnson ($1.1M) - Rick Rypien ($0.55)
Mike Brown ($0.522M)

Mattias Ohlund ($3.75M) - Sami Salo ($3.5M)
Willie Mitchell ($3.5M) - Kevin Bieksa ($3.75M)
Alex Edler ($3.25M) - Shane O'Brien ($1M)
Davison ($0.56M)

Luongo ($6.75M)
Sanford ($0.65M)

Total: $56,915,000

We may be in trouble though the year after though if the cap goes down.
we'd be screwed even if the cap didn't go down the following year (and we know that there's a very good chance that it does go down).

Remember you're now at the current cap at almost $57mill. Next season you Luongo, Kesler and Mitchell all hitting UFA status.

a roster like that will leave you with no room, no flexibility and the risk of losing your most valuable goalie and dman the following year.

Just not worth it, IMO.

plus, I'd stay FAR away from Gaborik, especially at that salary... there's no way he's earned that kind of salary after the injury history he's had... chances are that you'll be able to get Havlat for half the price (or around $4mill), and I'd rather take an injury-prone Havlat at $4mill over an injury-prone Gaborik at almost $8mill.

And Hossa deserves more money than Gaborik as well, not sure why his salary is slightly less above?

finally, next season, Hodgson looks like he's ready to jump into the NHL... don't think that sending him back to junior for another year does him any good (and he'd still be too young to play in the AHL).

if Hossa wants to sign in Vancouver and they can fit him in, great... but Gaborik is asking for trouble with his injury history and that type of contract. And Demitra himself is *much* better on the wing than he is at center.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
we'd be screwed even if the cap didn't go down the following year (and we know that there's a very good chance that it does go down).

Remember you're now at the current cap at almost $57mill. Next season you Luongo, Kesler and Mitchell all hitting UFA status.

a roster like that will leave you with no room, no flexibility and the risk of losing your most valuable goalie and dman the following year.

Just not worth it, IMO.

plus, I'd stay FAR away from Gaborik, especially at that salary... there's no way he's earned that kind of salary after the injury history he's had... chances are that you'll be able to get Havlat for half the price (or around $4mill), and I'd rather take an injury-prone Havlat at $4mill over an injury-prone Gaborik at almost $8mill.

And Hossa deserves more money than Gaborik as well, not sure why his salary is slightly less above?

finally, next season, Hodgson looks like he's ready to jump into the NHL... don't think that sending him back to junior for another year does him any good (and he'd still be too young to play in the AHL).

if Hossa wants to sign in Vancouver and they can fit him in, great... but Gaborik is asking for trouble with his injury history and that type of contract. And Demitra himself is *much* better on the wing than he is at center.

I agree adding Hossa would be an ideal. and like another previous poster mentioned Bouwmeester would be next in importance.
Those would be the top 2 targets on pretty much every teams list. I would mind if the Canucks threw 7-8 mil on both. (only if Luongo would either take a slight raise or (7 mil tops) would I sign both. otherwise It would make more sense to sign the twins and try and get Bouwmeester.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post
Marian Hossa ($7.45M) - Pavol Demitra ($4M) - Marian Gaborik ($7.5M)
Mason Raymond ($0.833M) - Kyle Wellwood ($1M) - Steve Bernier ($2.5M)
Alexandre Burrows ($1.5M) - Ryan Kesler ($1.75M) - Jannik Hansen ($0.75M)
Darcy Hordichuk ($0.75M) - Ryan Johnson ($1.1M) - Rick Rypien ($0.55)
Mike Brown ($0.522M)

Mattias Ohlund ($3.75M) - Sami Salo ($3.5M)
Willie Mitchell ($3.5M) - Kevin Bieksa ($3.75M)
Alex Edler ($3.25M) - Shane O'Brien ($1M)
Davison ($0.56M)

Luongo ($6.75M)
Sanford ($0.65M)

Total: $56,915,000

We may be in trouble though the year after though if the cap goes down.
They still have Hodgson who will make the team next year.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:31 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin_19 View Post
If its possible, think of Vancouver Ottawa w/ Roberto Luongo...scary
there was alot of talk about this back when Vermette was still a good trade offer to the Vancouver Canucks...Now i doubt that we can trade him for Loungo, probably Spezza for loungo and more? (prob not...dunno)

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
there was alot of talk about this back when Vermette was still a good trade offer to the Vancouver Canucks...Now i doubt that we can trade him for Loungo, probably Spezza for loungo and more? (prob not...dunno)
you could never have gotten Luongo for Vermette... not when he was playing well, and certainly not now.

Luongo is the team's franchise player... they aren't going to deal the guy the team is built around to improve their secondary scoring.

and Luongo for Spezza would never happen either. Franchise players rarely ever get dealt unless they have to - and the only way Luongo gets dealt is if he wants out of Vancouver or refuses to sign an extension - and we're a long way from concluding anything like that.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:37 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Not both.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
I never knew that Bieksa was secretly Bobby Lou!

that "alot of talk" was about a deal around Vermette for Bieksa. Good thing that didn't happen

Anyways, If the Nucks could get Hossa for 6.3M and Gaborik for 5.75M, they could get them under. Now that could be realistic, because they know they cant all play together without taking somewhat of a discount, and with the cap going down, it further hurts their value as a package.

Hossa (6.3M) Demitra (4M) Gaborik (5.75M)
Raymond (.883M) Hodgson (1.725M) Bernier (1.875M)
Burrows (1M) Kesler (1.75M) Hansen (.725M)
Hordichuk (.775M) Johnson (1.1M) Rypien (.600M)
Brown (.600M)

Mitchell (3.5M) Bieksa (3.75M)
Ohlund (4M) Salo (3.5M)
Edler (3.25M) O'Brien (1.25M)
Rahimi (.648M)

Luongo (6.75M)
Schneider (1.084M)

Total: 54.84M

Although I would prefer if the Nucks just signed Hossa and kept the Sedins.

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 12-14-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
...Spezza for Luongo +?

Are you high?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
They still have Hodgson who will make the team next year.
1.725M cap hit, not too much, but still.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:20 PM
timw33

Quote:
Leave and never come back.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I'll be pissed if they sign Gaborik. An injury prone whiner looking to cash in, just what they need.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:33 AM
TOML

Gaborik will sign somewhere in the east. Or maybe even the KHL. (Although hasn't Jagr even said he wants to return?)

Hossa might even stay with Detroit. He likes the way the are able to hand him the puck.

I can't see Vancouver alluvasudden be a destination point for bigtime free agents. Based on what? They have no winning history? Or they are 3-1/2hrs away from nowhere?

Quit dreaming.

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:36 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
I'm sure they technically could...but who else would fill out their roster? With the cap likely going down would and the Canucks already having roughly 29 million committed to 10 players, would they really risk close to having 45 million commited to 12 players. For this year, with the salary cap that would only leave about 11 million to fill out the remaining 11 spots. Doesn't seem to bad until you consider that the Canucks would not exact solve their problems, they'd be a one line team with a good top-3 defensive combo and a good goalie. Which is basically where they are now.

Not sure if it exactly helps.
It somewhat comes down to are you getting the upgrade on the ice, that is worth the salary increase is over the Sedins?

Sedins $13 000 000 aprox
Gaborik $8 Hossa 7.5=$15 500 000

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:15 AM
0123456789*

I see Gaborik signing a one year deal for a relative discount somwhere and although the Canucks could potentially fit both players by letting the Sedins walk it likely wont happen. Although I do happen to know that Gaborik definitely has his eyes set on Vancouver, though personally I dont think the Canucks will peruse him...But who knows. Also I also would much rather have Hossa, though a healthy Gaborik is a much better player.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

this is the first i have ever heard of somebody choosing a team to play with Demitra.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Metallian*

do havlat-hossa instead

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
do havlat-hossa instead
do Havlat/Gaborik. 2 players, one season!

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:31 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Don't remember if it was Strachan or LeBrun on CBC, but it was said that Vancouver would try to trade for/sign Gaborik (friends with Demitra) and then go after Hossa this offseason.

That would mean they would let go of the Sedins. I guess this would make a lot of sense (even cap wise), and I would agree that Hossa is better then the Sedin's but Gaborik is just too injured to my liking.
The Canucks are turning into the Leafs/Canadiens? Apparently everyone is going to end up there becaue their gf's cousin's personal trainer bumped into (Insert a Canuck player's name here) and became fast friends.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:51 AM
kingpin_19

Quote:
haha no no...I meant a dangerous top line, below average depth and one of the best goaltenders in the league. This Vancouver team w/ Gaborik and Hossa would look VERY scary with Bobby Lu b/w the pipes...

kingpin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:29 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
this is the first i have ever heard of somebody choosing a team to play with Demitra.
Demitra came to Vancouver because he has family and friends in the area, he wanted to come here over a year before his contract was up. I have heard in the Czech/Slovak community that he is thinking of coming here for the same reasons, although unlike in Demitras case I dont know anyone who knows him directly so this time the info is from second hand sources. Im not saying he comes here but im just saying by the sounds of it there is a very good chance of that happening.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:31 AM
JMFJ 3

I think the Kings will sign Marian, the only question is will he be a King by February or July.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I think the Kings will sign Marian, the only question is will he be a King by February or July.
God, I hope he doesn't end up a King. Didn't we learn anything from our injury years? Injury prone players don't suddenly don't heal, unless it's due to an attitude problem. And if attitude is the reason, then we don't want him anyway.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote