HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers and Panthers Shakeup

Old
12-15-2008, 01:44 AM
FTowwn

vCash: 500
Rangers and Panthers Shakeup

to Florida:
Petr Prucha
Scott Gomez
(Draft Pick)

to NYR:
Jay Bouwmeester

NYR are close to signing Mats. We all know this. We all know Sather is desperately trying to clear cap space to make this team a serious competitor in the East. But, lets face it. No matter how strong the offense is, there's no way NYR win the Stanley Cup this year with Redden and Roszival as their top dman. They need another top guy to anchor this team. So here they get it in a young and budding, franchise defenceman, Jay Bouwmeester who is a UFA at the end of the year.
Going the other way, the Rangers send Gomez who becomes expandable with the addition of Sundin. Prucha's name has been thrown around in numerous trade rumors and it has been stated many times that Prucha is on the block. So Florida gets a franchise Center in Scott Gomez to help rebuild around (Horton and Gomez is a solid one-two punch for a rebuilding team) as well as another Czech winger who will get a fresh start to try and reproduce like he did in his rookie year, since he hasnt been able to do that in New York and is been passed on the depth chart by others like Dubinsky, Dawes, and now Korpikoski is making his case to stay up with the big team. Both Gomez and Prucha are also under contract for a few more years, and Florida has the cap space to take on both their salaries. Whereas Jaybo will NOT be with the Panthers next year, as he refused to sign long term. So instead of loosing him for nothing, they make this deal and get themselves a 2nd line winger and a 1st line Center.
**Note: this trade only happens if Mats is already signed or guaranteed to sign with NYR**
What do you think?

Last edited by FTowwn: 12-15-2008 at 02:16 AM. Reason: smart@$$ comments
FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTowwn View Post
to Florida:
Petr Prucha
Scott Gomez
(Draft Pick)

to NYR:
Jay Bouwmeester

NYR are close to signing Mats. We all know this. We all know Sather is desperately trying to clear cap space to make this team a serious competitor in the East. But, lets face it. No matter how strong the offense is, there's no way NYR win the Stanley Cup this year with Redden and Roszival as their top dman. They need another top guy to anchor this team. So here they get it in a young and budding, franchise defenceman, Jay Bouwmeester who is a UFA at the end of the year.
Going the other way, the Rangers send Gomez who becomes expandable with the addition of Sundin. Prucha's name has been thrown around in numerous trade rumors and it has been stated many times that Prucha is on the block. So Florida gets a franchise Center in Scott Gomez to help rebuild around (Horton and Gomez is a solid one-two punch for a rebuilding team) as well as another Czech winger who will get a fresh start to try and reproduce like he did in his rookie year, since he hasnt been able to do that in New York and is been passed on the depth chart by others like Dubinsky, Dawes, and now Korpikoski is making his case to stay up with the big team. Both Gomez and Prucha are also under contract for a few more years, and Florida has the cap space to take on both their salaries. Whereas Jaybo will NOT be with the Panthers next year, as he refused to sign long term. So instead of loosing him for nothing, they make this deal and get themselves a 2nd line winger and a 1st line Center.

What do you think?
Did I miss something?

What happens if the Rags trade Gomez, and then Sundin goes to Vancouver the next day?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:00 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Hello NHL Cap.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:02 AM
vcx*

Wait, Gomez is expandable? Is he a mutant? Someone needs to get Xavier on the horn.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Did I miss something?

What happens if the Rags trade Gomez, and then Sundin goes to Vancouver the next day?
Obviously the Rangers won't be pulling the trigger on any deals until there is an agreement in principle with Mats. Unless of course his entire goal in this saga is to get teams to make silly deals then he just retires.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:08 AM
AK

Prucha has about as much value has a cardboard box.

It's the overpaid Gomez for Bouwmeester.

And Florida is totally ripped off.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:27 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Prucha has about as much value has a cardboard box.

It's the overpaid Gomez for Bouwmeester.

And Florida is totally ripped off.
I agree with each of your points. This proposal is more of a "shakedown" than a "shakeup."

If the Rangers sign Sundin, then they are going to have to shed some salary and Prucha is one likely candidate. I would be pleased if the Panthers acquired him on the cheap, because he has played well and taken advantage of the limited opportunities he has be given to play this season.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:48 AM
supeg*

Lol at all the Ranger fans trying to unload Gomez for assets.

Understand that Gomez has one of the worst contracts in the league and a cap hit of 7.3 million for the next 6 years including this season.

He has --------- value. No team would take him off of waivers.

supeg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:37 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I doubt Florida wants Gomez's garbage contract.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 07:54 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by supeg93 View Post
Lol at all the Ranger fans trying to unload Gomez for assets.

Understand that Gomez has one of the worst contracts in the league and a cap hit of 7.3 million for the next 6 years including this season.

He has --------- value. No team would take him off of waivers.
I disagree that "no team" would take him off waivers... I think that there will be some desperate team that needs a top line center badly enough to take the chance on waivers. It would have to be a team that is rebuilding, as all contenders, with the exception of Vancouver, seem to be at their budget or at the cap.

but it wouldn't surprise me if a team like Atlanta (who needs a top center for Kovy and have been looking forever for this type of player) or Columbus (where we've heard about their search for a top line center every year) could take the chance and pick him up on waivers.

Certainly would be a hard to fit in their budget, but given how desperate some of these teams are in finding that center, it wouldn't be a surprise if they pick him up on waivers.

most teams of course wouldn't be able to even pick him up if they wanted him because of cap constraints.

and while his contract is horrible - he's got 5 more years after this season on his deal.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Florida would probably tell Sather to piss-off. Though, they have done some very odd deals in the past, so you never know.

Still, that leaves us with a ton of money wrapped up in our defense. Assume Jaybo gets 6 mil to resign, thats 6.5 in Redden, 6 with Bouwmeester and 5 with Rozsival. Not such a great idea.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:54 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Florida would probably tell Sather to piss-off. Though, they have done some very odd deals in the past, so you never know.

Still, that leaves us with a ton of money wrapped up in our defense. Assume Jaybo gets 6 mil to resign, thats 6.5 in Redden, 6 with Bouwmeester and 5 with Rozsival. Not such a great idea.
still i would pull the trigger on this deal if we get sundin, and then send either rozy or redden somewhere else, even if it was for (nearly) nothing

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:04 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Giving 17.5M$ for 3 defensemen isn't the problem... giving 17.5M$ for Bouwmeester, Redden and Rosival is .

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Since JM's been around?

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Just like the old pre-lockout days, the Rangers can suffer with the contracts they signed.

Good luck resigning Dubinsky and eventually Staal.

Will they ever learn?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Barney Gumble

If the Panthers can take Gomez' contract - Jaybo would've been signed already to a long-term deal by them.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
still i would pull the trigger on this deal if we get sundin, and then send either rozy or redden somewhere else, even if it was for (nearly) nothing
Rozsival and Redden aren't going to go for nearly nothing, we'll probably end up on the losing end of both deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Giving 17.5M$ for 3 defensemen isn't the problem... giving 17.5M$ for Bouwmeester, Redden and Rosival is .
True enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Since JM's been around?
Point taken. I'm not to up-to-date on the Panthers management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Just like the old pre-lockout days, the Rangers can suffer with the contracts they signed.

Good luck resigning Dubinsky and eventually Staal.

Will they ever learn?
Probably not, but re-signing Staal and Dubinsky probably won't be as big of a problem as many are anticipating. Staal needs a raise the same year Naslund comes off the books, and his lack of offensive contributions make his potential salary a little bit less tough to swallow. Dubinsky started off hot, but hasn't done much of late. Unless he completely takes off, I doubt he gets more than 2.5 mil.

Old
12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Hello NHL Cap.
I think fans of other teams just assume Florida has a bunch of cap space, because of how cheap they may have been in the past. Florida is about 2 million away from the cap. I think they could have more room if they put Allen on LTIR, but I think they might be holding out hope he can make it back by the end of the year.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Probably not, but re-signing Staal and Dubinsky probably won't be as big of a problem as many are anticipating. Staal needs a raise the same year Naslund comes off the books, and his lack of offensive contributions make his potential salary a little bit less tough to swallow. Dubinsky started off hot, but hasn't done much of late. Unless he completely takes off, I doubt he gets more than 2.5 mil.
that all depends on their contract situations overall...

I'm not even looking at Staal yet, since he's got another year on his deal... my concern from the Rangers POV would be Dubinsky and Zherdev... both RFAs after this year, both deserving of raises, and the rangers have all their high end players locked up long term with no salary coming off the books.

add in that those 2 are just 2 of 10 RFAs the rangers have, and even if the rest just get very minor raises or are qualified for the minimal increase, it will still take the salary up overall.

IMO, the rangers are prime for RFA offer sheets next year to those 2 guys. And I doubt that teams that have cap space (to use Vancouver as an example) would blink an eye at spending $3.5mill for each of those guys - and IMO you may not even need to spend that much, given the lack of flexibility the rangers have.

I'd give up a 1st and 3rd for either of those guys - and that could be done with a $3.9mill to either one of them.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Why do the Panthers need a shakeup...like this? No.

12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
that all depends on their contract situations overall...

I'm not even looking at Staal yet, since he's got another year on his deal... my concern from the Rangers POV would be Dubinsky and Zherdev... both RFAs after this year, both deserving of raises, and the rangers have all their high end players locked up long term with no salary coming off the books.

add in that those 2 are just 2 of 10 RFAs the rangers have, and even if the rest just get very minor raises or are qualified for the minimal increase, it will still take the salary up overall.

IMO, the rangers are prime for RFA offer sheets next year to those 2 guys. And I doubt that teams that have cap space (to use Vancouver as an example) would blink an eye at spending $3.5mill for each of those guys - and IMO you may not even need to spend that much, given the lack of flexibility the rangers have.

I'd give up a 1st and 3rd for either of those guys - and that could be done with a $3.9mill to either one of them.
I'm certainly not saying it's a non-issue, but I do think it can be done. I think if it comes down to people offer-sheeting either of them, they'll probably wind up taking the picks. However, I think the likelihood of them both being lost to offer-sheets is minimal.

Zherdev will easily get more than $3.9 mil from Sather, but Dubinsky is different. He hasn't been the difference maker that Zherdev has been, and the organization is deep at center as it is. If someone offered Dubi anything over $3 mil, I think Sather would take the picks.

Old
12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

The Rangers should just unload a bunch of expensive junk on the Canucks, since the Canucks have a ton of cap space and aren't going to be spending it on Sundin.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
BroadwayRangers13

After hearing everything a man could have heard about all this Sundin rangers, canucks, habs garbage I feel the Rangers are the closest team to signing him.

Everyone knows what slats is like, hes probably sitting back with his cigar right now trying to make a crazy deal thats going to be risky. I live in Vancouver but am a huge Rangers fan and I have heard a lot of these Florida rumors going around. Jaybo for Prucha, Gomez and draft pick this is to free up cap, I think this will happen!

BroadwayRangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:10 PM
txpd

That Rangers had a hot start and are sliding back to earth. They want Mats Sundin, today's flavor, and are willing to part with any of last year's flavor(Gomez/Drury) to make it happen.

Florida. They have lost twice in regulation in the last 11 games. They are 2nd in their division and closing in on a real chance at a playoff spot. Do they want to trade their best player? Not a chance.

They may need to, but they won't do it til the last minute hoping that the team will do well enough to convince Bouwmeester to stay.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
to get sundin for this year the rangers need to move 2.5 million and that is it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote