New Top 20 prospects ranking

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
New Top 20 prospects ranking

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7116

Some years 20 prospects is a good cut-off line, but this isn't one of those years. Either around 15 or 25 would be more natural right now, but that's not what we do here.

The write-up is mostly for people who will read only one Thrashers article this year. It borrows a lot from reviews and interviews that have been done in the past few months. All of these articles can be found in the archives.

Looking forward to comments and questions.

Old
07-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Kaiped Krusader

I'm a little surprised Juraj Gracik didn't sneak in there at the end of the top 20. He seems to have more upside than guys like Flache and Pat Dwyer. And he doesn't turn 18 for another month!

Old
07-22-2004, 01:08 AM
FrenchKheldar

I'll agree on the first 5 though it's difficult to judge Valabik right now... Still not 100% convinced by what I saw/read...

Same thing for Lewis, tough to say anything without seeing him...
Stewart is probably a more sure shot and who knows, might find a scoring touch with the years...
I would put Stewart in front of Lewis then Nikulin if there is no lock out, otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll never see him...
Then Stuart, Garnett, Vanelli, Oystrick, Dmac, Schell, J Dwyer, Ustrnul, P Dwyer, Gracik, Flache, Enstrom, Desbiens, Baby....

But most of this ranking is not completely objective

Thanks for the job Holly !

Old
07-22-2004, 04:47 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Good list although I think that Ustrnul is ranked far too high at 13. I know he had big raps coming from juniors because of his defensive play but you have to take into account that he hasn't done much the last couple of seasons due to injuries/coaches decision when producing a top 20 list like this. I would swap him for Rossiter (more advanced than Ustrnul, why hasn't he been considered?) and put him at no.19. I would also swap Pat Dwyer for Gracik, Jeff Dwyer for Enstrom and Baby for Desbiens but other than those changes the list is pretty spot on.

Old
07-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Good to see Sharrow at #5, I've got high hopes for this kid

Old
07-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
Good to see Sharrow at #5, I've got high hopes for this kid
I also had a good feeling about Jimmy.

The question for me is now, after reading about the summer camp is. Will Sharrow stay a defenseman or will the Thrashers convert him into a forward?

Old
07-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
I'm a little surprised Juraj Gracik didn't sneak in there at the end of the top 20.
OK, but the question then becomes would you also want Scott Lehman and Chad Painchaud on the list? Probably not. It's difficult to justify putting a skill guy who they liked later than these two skill guys on the list. It just doesn't seem logical immediately after the draft. Later, sure. If he comes to North America and does well, he'll shoot up the list, don't worry.

Quote:
He seems to have more upside than guys like Flache and Pat Dwyer.
Flache is big, skates well, has very good skill and is improving. And he really wants to succeed. I find it hard to make a case to leave him off actually. Pat Dwyer is arguable though, yes.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 07-22-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old
07-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Good list although I think that Ustrnul is ranked far too high at 13. I know he had big raps coming from juniors because of his defensive play but you have to take into account that he hasn't done much the last couple of seasons due to injuries/coaches decision when producing a top 20 list like this.
I really hate to punish a guy who has been injured though. And some of these big defensemen take longer. If he doesn't improve immediately next season, he'll be moved down.

Quote:
I would swap him for Rossiter (more advanced than Ustrnul, why hasn't he been considered?) and put him at no.19.
Rossiter is tough because he's already 24. He has played only 11 NHL games over a three-year span. I see the acquisition as a depth move.

Old
07-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha ACE
I also had a good feeling about Jimmy.

The question for me is now, after reading about the summer camp is. Will Sharrow stay a defenseman or will the Thrashers convert him into a forward?
I hope he stays a defensemen. Maybe he can become our very own MA Bergeron..

Old
07-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Yeah great list Holly, I too expected to see Gracik in there somewhere, but you make a good point to why he's not. Thanks for all the hard work

Old
07-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha ACE
Don said at the 2003 draft, "We drafted him as a defenseman and we see him as a defenseman." There's no reason to think that has changed.

Closed Thread