HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think we can get good value for Plekanec?

Old
12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
ok...i'll start it....Plekanec and latendresse for either kaberlei or bowmeester
Great idea, so we can have Chipchura (too bad he's injured heh ?), Maxwell, Lapierre and Lang on C 'till Koivu's ready to come back!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
ok...i'll start it....Plekanec and latendresse for either kaberlei or bowmeester
We'd be getting ***** on that. We lose a couple games and should just give our players away, sounds like LecLair-Desjardins for Recchi all over again.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:24 AM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Great idea, so we can have Chipchura (too bad he's injured heh ?), Maxwell, Lapierre and Lang on C 'till Koivu's ready to come back!
First off....it's defence that brings in championships....we'll have..
Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Bowmeester
Bouillon-Gorges
Brisebois-Dandenault

Also, don't forget we are signing Sundin

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:26 AM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We'd be getting ***** on that. We lose a couple games and should just give our players away, sounds like LecLair-Desjardins for Recchi all over again.
First off Plekanec said last year during the playoffs "I am playing like a little girl" he hasn't stop playing like that since....plus as guy carboneau put it...Latendresse is just not cutting it...so the question is...would florida go for the trade?

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Maybe package him up with Lapierre, He's pretty invisible most of the time.
Lapierre has been invisible most of the time?

After your last few posts, I'm seriously questioning whether you watch the games or just look at the stats.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:29 AM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
no one said he's the sole problem.

Far from it. Look, I think people need to relax.

Last year in the first half, Pleckanek, A. Kostystin, Kovalev were all cold. Koivu was hot, so was Higgins. Then in the second half, A. Kost, Pleck and Kovy took over, as Koivu faltered until he came back in the POs.

This has happened now for the last 2 years.

We'll be fine, lets give this team a chance here. We can't just give up on some guys because they are cold right now. We are still winning most of our games and while I am too sometimes am worried, we can still dominate, we just have a hard time finishing. Once those guys wake up and the puck goes in, watch out....if we can get the PP going, were almost unbeatable.

Carbo said it best in his PC tonight after the game. Last year on 8 PPs, we buried 3 goals. If that was happening this year, which its not right now, we'd have won the game 4-1, 4-2. If our PP was working right now, we'd probably have lost little to no games. These guys will wake up and we will dominate in the near future.

No need to lose all hope and to decide to give up on some guys that some here last year were almost calling GODS.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
First off Plekanec said last year during the playoffs "I am playing like a little girl" he hasn't stop playing like that since....plus as guy carboneau put it...Latendresse is just not cutting it...so the question is...would florida go for the trade?
Who cares if Florida would go for it, Bob isn't dumb enough to trade 2 young guys like that for a rental.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:43 AM
facey

disclaimer: i'm a leafs fun... roommate with a habs fan (well acutlaly a hawks fan, but you;d have a second favorite team as well if your team only made it to the playoffs once in the last 10 or some such).

Pleckanek is soft as you ahve pointed out, but thats a given... he is a very capable player and IMO a centerpiece you guys should keep. He is hard to play against, especially during the regular season where he does not provoke extra effort from the players covering him. (this advantage disappears in the post-season).

from what i have seen, your issues lie in two main players: Alex Kovalev, and an injury to Komi

I don't think a team with alex as a leader/primary threat will ever go the full distance, at least not with him leading the way.

Next your D is VERY soft w/o komi... it is a depth issue that needs to be addressed prior to a cup run as well...

But the big difference from this year to last is injuries, and the fact that you guys are now a know threat. The kosty brothers will be fun for years and pleck is an ideal center for them... Koviu and Higgins are a serviceable second line to say the least... your 4th line is fast and hard working.. no issue at all...

but moving a key piece like pleck is not the right move from an outsiders perspective, someone would like alex... he could bring a big return... especially if you get sundin , which leaves somewhere like NYR wanting vet... enter big trade which brings a forward and a gritty d man... prucha + staal??? might beunder value from NYR but i have not put very much thought into this part at all (so please excuse that bad example).

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:55 AM
habtastic

I'm going to step on the Plekanec supporters side of the line in the sand. Also agree:
- works hard EVERY night
- is just as snakebitten as everyone else
- for a playmaker, he doesn't have abysmal goal stats (didn't he wire one on a slapper pretty recently off the rush?)
- incredible hockey sense (Off and Def.)

why is he struggling?
cuz everyone is. If kovy was scoring, Pleks would be getting the assists. If people tapped in the million blind passes he puts through the slot, there'd be more goals. Also

he DOES hit, and bigger people. He gets the puck very effectively when he gets to it either by body position or stickhandling it out of a scrum. Everyone is just annoyed cuz this team isn't scoring goals. I am just as frustrated. I just have to rely that it will turn around, there will be a breaking point. No certainty, but it's all or nothing, really. I'd rather have Pleky sucking for awhile than having him gone altogether. He's going to be one of the most skilled players in the league in the near future.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 04:06 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Maybe package him up with Lapierre, He's pretty invisible most of the time.
Although he hasn't been as invisible as you suggest.

When your checking line line center is invisible, at least he's playing good defense. People notice you when you're scoring goals or getting scored on. If our 4th line player isn't visible, to you anyway, at least it says he's been doing his job.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 05:54 AM
ReVeuF

The only way i can see Pleckanec traded is if Sundin sign with us.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:37 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
don't trade Pleks

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 06:42 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
disclaimer: i'm a leafs fun... roommate with a habs fan (well acutlaly a hawks fan, but you;d have a second favorite team as well if your team only made it to the playoffs once in the last 10 or some such).

Pleckanek is soft as you ahve pointed out, but thats a given... he is a very capable player and IMO a centerpiece you guys should keep. He is hard to play against, especially during the regular season where he does not provoke extra effort from the players covering him. (this advantage disappears in the post-season).

from what i have seen, your issues lie in two main players: Alex Kovalev, and an injury to Komi

I don't think a team with alex as a leader/primary threat will ever go the full distance, at least not with him leading the way.

Next your D is VERY soft w/o komi... it is a depth issue that needs to be addressed prior to a cup run as well...

But the big difference from this year to last is injuries, and the fact that you guys are now a known threat. The kosty brothers will be fun for years and pleck is an ideal center for them... Koviu and Higgins are a serviceable second line to say the least... your 4th line is fast and hard working.. no issue at all...

but moving a key piece like pleck is not the right move from an outsiders perspective, someone would like alex... he could bring a big return... especially if you get sundin , which leaves somewhere like NYR wanting vet... enter big trade which brings a forward and a gritty d man... prucha + staal??? might beunder value from NYR but i have not put very much thought into this part at all (so please excuse that bad example).

there.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Pascal

For the record, there's no "panic" in this thread. I love Pleks, I just think we need more grit to go further in the playoffs and if we can get someone who can provide that and some offense, we'd be a more rounded team. As it stands this team lacks fire, grit and balls. You cannot argue with this.

I guess we'll see in April if it shows, again.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
Sundin is the answer, but it's basically out of our hands. We've done all we can so far.
That's it. If Sundin decides to play here -- and if he did, I think it would be on a two year deal -- then it's time to start thinking about moving Plekanec. I would not be afraid of having Koivu, Sundin, Lang, Lapierre and then Chipchura and Maxwell. Subtract Lang next year and the team is still fine.

Plekanec is going to get a raise this year even if he doesn't repeat last year's numbers. He will probably want a long term. Gainey should ask himself if he wants to commit himself to Plekanec, especially if the economy depresses the salary cap significantly in the season after next.

Plekanec is a good player. He's not a top center. Or, if he is, then he is in the same way that Andy Macdonald or Brendan Morrison are (were at one point). That brings out the real issue. Do the Habs need that kind of player, or are they better off with a different skillset/personality given the overall make-up of the team? My answer is in the question.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

My understanding of the purpose of this thread is not to guess if he'll bounce back or if we should trade him or not, but if he has any value in a trade.

The answer to that is a resounding YES!

The guy was our best forward in the second half of the season two years ago when he was finally freed off Kovalev's line. He overtook Koivu as our number one center last year centering our top line when he scored 29 goals. He's an excellent two-way center and he's still young and isn't a UFA yet.

Trade value? Excellent if you ask me.

Should we trade him? I say it all depends on the return. If it is to address the needs of the team getting similar value in return, I say go for it.

But we'd need another center in return or in the near future as we see what depth at center does, with Koivu out. So glad we went out and got Lang!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Do the Habs need that kind of player, or are they better off with a different skillset/personality given the overall make-up of the team? My answer is in the question.
that's the reasoning behind asking about Plek. I really like him, but I think we'd benefit a lot more from having someone who plays differently. We just have so many forwards like Plek that he's dispensable imo, despite of his skill level.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:23 AM
smon

Yeah, but trading Plekanec while he's slumping would probably end up biting the team in the long run. Only concievable trade would be for another centre, and the options are limited.

Look at it this way, with Koivu out, Plekanec needs to step it up and prove last season was no fluke. I think he could actually respond well to the challenge. The thing really is that he's shown little chemistry with any players so far, which is why Carbonneau keeps switching him around. I just don't know why A Kost, Plekanec and Kovalev suddenly discovered they don't work well together during the playoffs and the bulk of this season so far...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:04 PM
gillyguzzler

Sergei K. - Plekanec - Andrei K.

I would like to see these three players on the same line, win or lose, for 10 games in a row.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
-----------
| |
| | <-----This is a box. Please place all your panic buttons inside.
| |
| |
-----------

Old
12-15-2008, 12:31 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
-----------
| |
| | <-----This is a box. Please place all your panic buttons inside.
| |
| |
-----------

Pleks is a softie player, if he can't score and doesn't forecheck what's his use?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:09 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkiness View Post
Pleks is a softie player, if he can't score and doesn't forecheck what's his use?
Same can be said for about 75% of the team

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Same can be said for about 75% of the team
Exactly

This offseason we'll get rid of our deadweight (Begin, Dandenault, Bouillon, Breezer), and one of Kovalev/Koivu/Tanguay.

I'm excited.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:49 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Out of those 3.
I'd keep Tanguay.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Kirk Muller

out of the three you keep the guy who plays with fire and is your Captain. Its a no brainer.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote