HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Habs-Oilers

Old
12-15-2008, 09:28 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Habs-Oilers

At the '09 draft:

To MTL: Steve Staios, Ryan O'Marra, 2nd round pick
To EDM: Jaroslav Halak

From EDM's perspective, they seem to have young talent at every position except for goaltending, and Halak is one of the best young goalies in the NHL, and chances are he'll be traded sometime before '10. I don't think either Garon or Roloson will resign in EDM (Roloson because of his age, Garon will probably be looking for a big increase in salary, plus he might not want to resign because he's only getting to play 1/3 of the games this season). This way, the Oilers can let both Garon and Roloson walk away UFAs and go into next season with a Halak/JDD tandem. The Oilers will also be looking to dump Staios's salary in order to resign Grebeshkov and make space for Chorney, Peckham or Petry on the blueline.

MTL acquires a solid top four defenseman in Staios, a former 1st round pick who is now considered a project and a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure what the value of goalies would be by then, but I think a 2nd round pick would be pretty good (it's what Huet got last season at the deadline).

Last edited by WJG: 12-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Pass on Oilers side. Staios is steady, cheap defense and we have DD and JDD in the system set to take over once Roli leaves and if Garon doesn't resign. Got to give the kids in the system a shot, they've put in the time to deserve one.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:02 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Don't the Oilers already have a number of goalies? would they consider putting Garon at center and JDD on defense?

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
I don't see why the Habs would do this. Staios won't solve our PP woes and his contract isn't good for our future cap situation. The value isn't bad, it just doesn't fill our needs.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:09 AM
surshot*

Halak is good but there is no way you get that return for him. Not at all. And Dubnyk is going to be the goalie of the future for Oilers. Would love to have Halak but not for Staois plus.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
rockinghockey

I dont know what people are thinking of. I would take Halak in a pinch. I know that it causes extra goalie problems but then I would waive Garon and go from there.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:14 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I was under the impression the Oilers have 3 goalies on the club as it is....

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:20 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Don't the Oilers already have a number of goalies? would they consider putting Garon at center and JDD on defense?
The Oilers have Garon, Roloson and JDD currently on the roster, but both Garon and Roloson are UFAs this summer (hence why I said the trade would have to be done at the draft).

IMO both Roloson and Garon are going to walk away, and the Oilers will be better for it if they can trade for Halak instead. Garon is/was already upset that he's only playing 1/3 of the games this season after establishing himself as the starter last season (and even if he wants to stay, he's going to want a hefty raise and has been somewhat inconsistent this season), and Roloson is just too old to resign.

I'd much rather go into a season with Halak/JDD than risk resigning Garon to a starter's contract or having a 39-year old Roloson between the pipes.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Nothing wrong with the value in that offer, but I still just don't see how the Habs can trade Halak. I mean, look right now, Price hurt/sick, what would they do? Halak can step in and give them cheap 1B goaltending, and that's more value to our team than a sturdy defenseman, a prospect/suspect, and a 2nd round pick. Even if the broader market value for goalies is way below that.

EDIT: Ok, I didn't see the part about the '09 draft, but I still don't see how that helps. We can sign a sturdy defenseman on July 1st-2nd if we don't have one step up from within. We will still want this ideal goaltending scenario next season too IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
JoeHockey

JDD has done nothing but sit on the bench for long stretches and then play amazing everytime. Yet he still gets no credit as beinga decent goalie.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
40oz

I think this would be a no from both teams... Montreal doesnt want scraps, Edmonton doesnt need 4 goalies...

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
GRIZZ

Replace Steady Steve with grebeshkov then we'll talk.

I would like to see Grebs anchor a PP

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
WeezyHabFan

edmonton so doesnt need another montreal back up

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
This is a draft day trade, and Garon will be a free agent.
Garon could possibly have informed the team that he has no desire to return, or he could be advised that Edmonton will not be making him an offer(if his current play continues; I would put money on the latter).

As for the original trade proposal: I'm not sure if it really addresses any of Montreals needs. They're really looking for a mobile PMD, and that definately isn't steady Steve.
I'm not sure if the Oilers want to go into next season with a Halak JDD/Dubynk tandem. Way too young and inexperienced.
The value is probably there, but it doesnt address neither teams needs.

EDIT: DON'T CLICK ON THE MOBILE LINK UNLESS YOU NEED A SPRINT PHONE! I CAN'T GET RID OF IT

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Bohemian93

edmonton doesnt need to add a goalie to their 3 goalie system staios is not the kind of defenceman the habs need. the canadiens are in need of a puck moving defenceman to play along side markov

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Spoke

Since this is a draft day deal, I'd do it.

Oilers fans over-rate Staios, he is a solid defender, but Smid is our future stay at home defender. Plus we have lots of D prospects.

The value is alright I think, I can see how some Habs fans could be upset as Halak is the best player in the deal.

I'd even go as far as to give Staios, Pouliot and a 2nd.

Adds more value for the Habs. Pouliot has the skills to be a solid NHLer but I think he will become the odd man out for the Oilers eventually

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
At the '09 draft:

To MTL: Steve Staios, Ryan O'Marra, 2nd round pick
To EDM: Jaroslav Halak

From EDM's perspective, they seem to have young talent at every position except for goaltending, and Halak is one of the best young goalies in the NHL, and chances are he'll be traded sometime before '10. I don't think either Garon or Roloson will resign in EDM (Roloson because of his age, Garon will probably be looking for a big increase in salary, plus he might not want to resign because he's only getting to play 1/3 of the games this season). This way, the Oilers can let both Garon and Roloson walk away UFAs and go into next season with a Halak/JDD tandem. The Oilers will also be looking to dump Staios's salary in order to resign Grebeshkov and make space for Chorney, Peckham or Petry on the blueline.

MTL acquires a solid top four defenseman in Staios, a former 1st round pick who is now considered a project and a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure what the value of goalies would be by then, but I think a 2nd round pick would be pretty good (it's what Huet got last season at the deadline).
Why are the Oilers giving up a 2nd rounder? Do you realize there are 13UFA goalies in the off season? Trade value of goalies will crash over the next few years because there are so many good goalies coming up through the AHL.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
O'Marra & O'Byrne on the same team? O'Baby.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Pass for the Habs (considering our needs).

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote