HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kuzma:Gilman and Sundin's agent meet - All Sundin Talk here please!

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
ziploc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKennedy View Post
and if he does it by Wednesday night...

Trevol Linden who?
They should announce it at the end of the game.

Old
12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
If Sundin does sign in Vancouver, then I think the reaction would be much bigger than the Luongo trade given all the hype since Summer.

It would definitely be front page news.
Ya think?

I've seen dogs wearing sweaters as front page news here in Vancouver.

I think it's fair to say Mats would get the front 10 pages, and probably 10 in the back as well, and possibly even a few comics.

Old
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan View Post
Yes! Yes, yes...
T'is the season for Caesars. Extra spicy, please! Add a little tobasco... Honey Nut Cheerios, yum!

Old
12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
T'is the season for Caesars. Extra spicy, please! Add a little tobasco... Honey Nut Cheerios, yum!
I laughed my ass off at Garrett's Clamato plug last night. It made me wish that Jim Hughson were still calling games for us so I could have heard the amazing awkward silence that would have ensued.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
newostar

NEW ARTICLE in the Sun by Brad Ziemer. Pretty interesting. Seems like the theory that NYR are Mats first choice, only if they can make cap room will he join them, seems to be legit information.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...665/story.html

Quotes from JP Barry saying that Sundin needs "a little more information from one of the teams before making his final decision" and they should know (amongst themselves) the decision this week.

Ziemer speculates that the more information Sundin needs is how the Rangers will make room for him.

I personally think Barry will need to find out more about the status of Luongo in his meeting tomorrow...

Old
12-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by newostar View Post
NEW ARTICLE in the Sun by Brad Ziemer. Pretty interesting. Seems like the theory that NYR are Mats first choice, only if they can make cap room will he join them, seems to be legit information.

Quotes from JP Barry saying that Sundin needs "a little more information from one of the teams before making his final decision" and they should know (amongst themselves) the decision this week.

Ziemer speculates that the more information Sundin needs is how the Rangers will make room for him.

I personally think Barry will need to find out more about the status of Luongo in his meeting tomorrow...
So basically its a news article on speculation. Like we don't have enough of those

(Nothing personal all directed at the media)

Old
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

In order for the Rangers to make it manageable Sundin would have to take a contract in the $5 million range, and Prucha and Kalinin would have to be waived. If the contract approaches $6 million Roszival must be moved on top of that; though then one of Prucha or Kalinin could most likely be kept.

The Rangers pretty much need a unilateral salary transfer of a combination of those three players (Kalinin, Roszival, Prucha) in the next four days.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
newostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
So basically its a news article on speculation. Like we don't have enough of those

(Nothing personal all directed at the media)
No worries. I found it good to see quotes from JP Barry at least.

Kind of confirms that they are hoping NYR can up the ante on their offer to at least match Vancouver's money.

Wonder if NYR can't create the space by the roster freeze if Canucks win by default or if it will drag on until the new year. I'm guessing the latter.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
No worries. I found it good to see quotes from JP Barry at least.

Kind of confirms that they are hoping NYR can up the ante on their offer to at least match Vancouver's money.

Wonder if NYR can't create the space by the roster freeze if Canucks win by default or if it will drag on until the new year. I'm guessing the latter.
Probably the latter.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

Or the extent of Luongo's injury

Not to take away from my standpoint, I still believe he ends up as a Ranger.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
His first team has always been the Rangers, just look back at the beginning of this saga. It's no surprise, but hopefully the Rags somehow screw this up.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
His first team has always been the Rangers, just look back at the beginning of this saga. It's no surprise, but hopefully the Rags somehow screw this up.
Maybe Sather will pull a Pat Quinn and call him at one in the morning.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Maybe Sather will pull a Pat Quinn and call him at one in the morning.
Indeed, sundin will be in sweden, so sather won't know the time difference and wake him up in the middle of the morning.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
If he's not a Canuck by the roster freeze, he won't be and is obviously just using our offer as leverage to make NY pay him what he wants. If money is an issue enough to make him not go to NY he'll be a Canuck by Friday.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

The longer this goes on, one thing becomes perfectly clear: most of these media analysts are absolutely clueless when it comes to the economics of the cap-era NHL. Doug MacLean was just on detailing how the Rangers could fit Sundin in by burying four guys in the minors, thus freeing a little more than $6 million. Tell me Doug, who replaces the three lost bodies? Will they be playing for free?

And this guy is throwing his name into the ring for vacant GM positions?!?

Old
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
So let's say for the moment that those of us who were saying that Barry was using the Canucks offer as leverage for more money from other teams were right.

Where does this leave the relationship between Gillis and Barry?

Does anyone think that when Sundin doesn't sign here we can kiss goodbye to Ohlund and the twins as well?

Of course, it was entirely within Gillis control to pull the offer off the table but he didn't and it appears Barry has used it to his advantage. Perhaps Gillis can use this as an act of good faith and get a better deal for the twins.

All interesting scenarios but it's obvious that Sundin's signing could have far reaching effects even though he won't be a Canuck.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

i guess in my mind, if he wanted to be a Canuck, he would have signed already. he clearly doesnt want to be a Canuck.

do we want to be NYR's sloppy seconds?

Old
12-15-2008, 08:43 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
So let's say for the moment that those of us who were saying that Barry was using the Canucks offer as leverage for more money from other teams were right.

Does anyone think that when Sundin doesn't sign here we can kiss goodbye to Ohlund and the twins as well?

Of course, it was entirely within Gillis control to pull the offer off the table but he didn't and it appears Barry has used it to his advantage. Perhaps Gillis can use this as an act of good faith and get a better deal for the twins.

All interesting scenarios but it's obvious that Sundin's signing could have far reaching effects even though he won't be a Canuck.
Given that Gillis was an agent he should understand.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
i guess in my mind, if he wanted to be a Canuck, he would have signed already. he clearly doesnt want to be a Canuck.

Call us Cuthbert.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post

Of course we want the rangers sloppy seconds cause it's not like sundin won't play hard and pout just cause he didn't get the rangers. He'll play hard and great irregardless of the fact that we aren't his first choice.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
0123456789*

^Sundin is such a sl**

Old
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
zepps

Quote:

Barry may be using the Canucks to leverage the Rangers, but that doesn't mean that Barry wouldn't like to see Sundin sign with the Canucks. The Rangers can't meet the offer made by the Canucks without a serious face life. Meaning less commission for Barry.

Barry doesn't have enough influence over Sundin to make him change his mind. Gillis has to understand that.

As for the Sedins/Ohlund, I don't want to hear about how other teams are interested willing to pay them $$$ , and that they're considering their options.

Old
12-15-2008, 08:55 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Call us Cuthbert.
Which one? This matters.

12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

So, you are saying that maybe Gillis is supporting Barry by keeping this offer there, knowing he probably wouldn't sign here, and in turn is going to get better deals on Ohlund and the Sedins for the help? I've thought of that the last couple weeks as well.

I don't think either is what likely happened or will happen. One contract should not sour another one. If they are professionals, there will be nothing personal involved in it.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Which one? This matters.
Chris, of course. Total *** dumpster.

Closed Thread