HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Continue.

Last edited by parabola: 12-18-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Zorbane

happy birthday?

Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
The longer this goes on, one thing becomes perfectly clear: most of these media analysts are absolutely clueless when it comes to the economics of the cap-era NHL. Doug MacLean was just on detailing how the Rangers could fit Sundin in by burying four guys in the minors, thus freeing a little more than $6 million. Tell me Doug, who replaces the three lost bodies? Will they be playing for free?

And this guy is throwing his name into the ring for vacant GM positions?!?
It's pretty ridiculous. Some of these 'experts' are coming up with a variety of downright ridiculous options as far as clearing salary space is concerned.

The other thing I find odd is people continually say 'Barry is using the Canucks offer as leverage'. That also doesn't make sense to me since there is simply no other team who can offer near the salary we can in the race, and the more Sundin wants the more difficult it becomes for the Rangers to clear the cap-space. As I've mentioned tirelessly, if the salary is in the $5 million range it's feasible the Rangers could just bury Kalinin and Prucha in the minors, but even then they'd have limited cap-space, and a 22 man roster. If the salary creeps towards the $6 million range, the Rangers most likely have to move Roszival plus one of Prucha or Kalinin in order to fit the pro-rated salary plus fill the vacant roster positions, and maintain space in case of injury. I don't believe there really is any 'leverage' to be gained by using our offer, it seems plainly obvious to me exactly what the Rangers can offer and who they would have to move depending on the figure - if you want to say it's Sundin's back-up plan in case New York can't clear salary I could maybe buy that.

Anyway you look at it, unless Sundin is willing to take $5 million or less pro-rated over the remainder of this year he seriously puts the Rangers in 'cap hell' as it's taken to being called - if he comes at the cost of a combination of Roszival, Kalinin, and Prucha it's arguably he also makes them a worse hockey team considering they'd have to fill the vacant roster spots with minimum salary player, and have literally no depth in the case of injuries.

Old
itshomerdoh

Is he on the Rag$ yet?

Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Who is this "Mats Sundin" guy? Never heard of him. Is he a prospect or something?

Old
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Sundin killed my father and ***** my bother

Old
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
happy birthday?
I never see the tag used. ... The thread stands out now though.

Old
19nazzy

I propose that the name Sundin be banned from here if he doesn't sign in Vancouver. I'm sick and tired of seeing his name.

Old
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I never see the tag used. ... The thread stands out now though.
*psst* my birthday in 3 days

Old
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Louis the First View Post
So, you are saying that maybe Gillis is supporting Barry by keeping this offer there, knowing he probably wouldn't sign here, and in turn is going to get better deals on Ohlund and the Sedins for the help? I've thought of that the last couple weeks as well.

I don't think either is what likely happened or will happen. One contract should not sour another one. If they are professionals, there will be nothing personal involved in it.
Oh, I don't know if I am saying it, I'm more just thinking out loud. It's a fun little conspiracy theory though and isn't that why we're here?

Having no clue how things work behind the scenes, I would be fascinated to know how much of it is a game or eventually becomes personal. You would hope that they are professionals but they are also human. They may not even be aware of how they are being manipulated or influenced.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
Sundin killed my father and ***** my bother
I hear he's in NYC to see Cats. Maybe they'll let him backstage...

Old
12-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The other thing I find odd is people continually say 'Barry is using the Canucks offer as leverage'. That also doesn't make sense to me since there is simply no other team who can offer near the salary we can in the race, and the more Sundin wants the more difficult it becomes for the Rangers to clear the cap-space.
I was going to post the same thought. There is no such thing as leverage in this two-horse race.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
At this point, the hearts of all Canucks fans are Sundin's sloppy seconds.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Wellwood is God View Post
At this point, the hearts of all Canucks fans are Sundin's sloppy seconds.
Gross.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
KDizzle

Well it's not like we were dating the Rangers and then Sundin swoops in and scoops us up on the rebound.

This sloppy seconds reasoning makes no sense!

Old
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Bleifooss

Quote:
Sundin told friends money will not be the prime factor when it comes time to choose a team.

That's good news for the Rangers, who have but a mere pittance of what the Canucks — believed the lone alternative — can offer.

The Blueshirts currently have approximately $1 million of cap space. Pro-rating cap hits, the Blueshirts would need approximately $2.877M of space on Dec. 27 in order to be able to offer Sundin a full-season contract of $5M, half of Vancouver's standing bid.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...ace-for-Sundin

Quote:
Could Mats Sundin put the New York Rangers over the top and on their way to a Stanley Cup win for the first time since 1994?

The only way to know is to wait and see if he gets the chance.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...or-the-Rangers

My, they make is sound like, it's just like that. I agree that it seems to be, but of course at some point it is about money as well

Old
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Good grief, enough with the sloppy seconds jokes. They weren't that funny a few days after the incident and now they're just getting annoying.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Good grief, enough with the sloppy seconds jokes. They weren't that funny a few days after the incident and now they're just getting annoying.
I sloppy second this notion.

Fine. I'll stop.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:37 PM
VanEric

I'm fine if Mats goes to the Rangers because he becomes a total non-factor for the Canucks. if he went to one of our conference rivals, it would be disheartening.

It'll be interesting to see if the moves the Rangers have to make to clear cap space wind up hurting them more than Sundin can help them. I see all the pundits saying get rid of this guy and that guy but they never say who's going to replace them in the lineup.

The Rangers would be in a better position if they didn't ridiculously overpay for Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
I sloppy second this notion.

Fine. I'll stop.
hahaha

Old
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

And so begins the 9838570th Sundin thread on the Canuck board since July.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I'm fine if Mats goes to the Rangers because he becomes a total non-factor for the Canucks. if he went to one of our conference rivals, it would be disheartening.

It'll be interesting to see if the moves the Rangers have to make to clear cap space wind up hurting them more than Sundin can help them. I see all the pundits saying get rid of this guy and that guy but they never say who's going to replace them in the lineup.

The Rangers would be in a better position if they didn't ridiculously overpay for Drury, Gomez, and Redden.
Not to mention Rozsival. One of the worst contracts in the league IMO.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Sundin wears pantyhose under his pants, I heard it from friend who heard a report on the team 1040 which cited information anoynous source who claimed to be friends with Sundin's chauffer who claimed that he saw Sundin head into a woman's department store and leaving with a bag that could only have had women's pantyhose it.

He might shave his legs too! Apparently both his legs are good friends, and they want to look the same. So when one leg got shaved the other had to follow.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post

Upon reading the Sundin thread on the Trade Rumors board, I really get the feeling that some (not all) of the Rangers fans had their brains fried by years of unchecked, cap-free spending. To them, it's as easy as clearing just enough money to squeeze in Sundin, and let it be damned if they're only carrying 18 players and have enough cap space to buy a cup of coffee!

It's to the point where I want Sundin to sign there just to see that exact scenario play out.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
zepps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
*psst* my birthday in 3 days
My birthday is Trevor Linden night. My friends and family are more into to that.

****ers.

Who am I kidding? So am I.

Closed Thread