HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Kovalev

Old
12-15-2008, 01:47 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arde View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if he headed back to Russia after this season
I highly doubt it. He's spent ~15 years in the NHL and has said he was literally in love with Montreal and wouldnt play anywhere else. He's also said he wanted to play in the best league in the world until he's 50.

For the right money, Kovy stays in the NHL, most likely Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Kovalev for Cole + 3rd?
I'd have a hard time turning that one down.

But Bob Gainey would never trade Kovalev...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
pking?
Kovalev is a machine on the PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Could Pittsburgh be a good fit for him? I'm sure any player would be motivated [YES....EVEN Kovalev!] to play along-side Crosby.
Contrary to popular belief Kovalev is motivated just fine by playing in Montreal. He is working hard, but it just isnt going in. Maybe in the end Kovalev just isnt talented enough that even if he works hard, can't put up 100 pts.

He's flashy, but he can't score.

Also, after Montreal traded Balej+2nd for Kovalev, Kovy became a free agent in the summer and took 2 months to decide where he was going to sign. It was either Montreal or Pittsburgh (with rookie Crosby).

He chose Montreal, so like I said, I don't really get why you'd think being traded to Pittsburgh would motivate him even more.

He's working hard, but it's just not going in.

EDIT: Kovalev would likely not work with Crosby. Kovalev likes to do everything by himself, and then set up one of his teammates for a scoring chance. He likes to control the puck, stickhandle through everyone and protect the puck along the boards. That's why he works great with Plekanec and Lang, two players who dont like hanging onto the puck for too long, and are talentend enough to follow Kovalev for some give and go's.

I'm getting the feeling Crosby and Malkin would hate playing with Kovalev, although it would surely be entertaining.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

He might not work with Crosby or Kovalev but I think it'd be a little like when Kovy first came into the NHL and played alongside Messier. He differed a lot to Messier and he'd have to do the same if he came back to Pittsburgh. But let's not forget he played extremely well with Mario Lemieux and Aleksey Morozov one year.

I don't know if it'd work with Crosby but something tells me Kovy and Malkin would enjoy playing together.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'd like to see quality grit for Kovalev. Cole is intriguing to say the least...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I don't know. It seems to me that he could be a good rental player for a team in the playoffs.
Since 16-8-5 isn't good enough for Montreal, they should get rid of their captain. Do you really think that Aucoin would be more useful than Kovalev comes the playoffs?...

Kovalev has always been one of their top players in the playoffs, he's going no where this year.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
Since 16-8-5 isn't good enough for Montreal, they should get rid of their captain. Do you really think that Aucoin would be more useful than Kovalev comes the playoffs?...

Kovalev has always been one of their top players in the playoffs, he's going no where this year.
This is Koivu's team, don't be mistaken by Carbonneau trying to motivate Kovalev like the "C" did for him last year. The Habs' captain is Koivu, period.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd like to see quality grit for Kovalev. Cole is intriguing to say the least...
If the Habs traded Kovalev for Cole, I think most Bruins fans would be very happy.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
If the Habs traded Kovalev for Cole, I think most Bruins fans would be very happy.
Whatever makes the Bruins happy... Julien, Ryder...