HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM
  #26
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
I just think they are a little younger than us and don't understand real life situations, just NHL 09 ones.

The Bob Cole is offline  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
  #27
zepps
Registered User
 
zepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Upon reading the Sundin thread on the Trade Rumors board, I really get the feeling that some (not all) of the Rangers fans had their brains fried by years of unchecked, cap-free spending. To them, it's as easy as clearing just enough money to squeeze in Sundin, and let it be damned if they're only carrying 18 players and have enough cap space to buy a cup of coffee!

It's to the point where I want Sundin to sign there just to see that exact scenario play out.
It seems like a lot of people in the media are on board with it too. NFiTO has broken it down quite nicely on the main boards. If he's right, then it is a proposition that the Rangers shouldn't be too eager to rush into.

I don't get it. We can see that the Rangers could potentially hurt themselves by signing Sundin, yet everyone is now convinced the Rangers just have to waive a few players and that there will be no consequences.

It boggles the mind. Then, there is the Canucks. The situation is too perfect for everybody but Sundin it seems.

Hopefully, Gillis can sell him if they are still meeting tomorrow.

zepps is offline  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:11 PM
  #28
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 16,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepps View Post
It seems like a lot of people in the media are on board with it too. NFiTO has broken it down quite nicely on the main boards. If he's right, then it is a proposition that the Rangers shouldn't be too eager to rush into.

I don't get it. We can see that the Rangers could potentially hurt themselves by signing Sundin, yet everyone is now convinced the Rangers just have to waive a few players and that there will be no consequences.

It boggles the mind. Then, there is the Canucks. The situation is too perfect for everybody but Sundin it seems.

Hopefully, Gillis can sell him if they are still meeting tomorrow.
If there's anyone who can sell it's gotta be the charismatic and charming Mike Gillis. The guy exudes personality.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
  #29
Finkle is Einhorn
Registered User
 
Finkle is Einhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If there's anyone who can sell it's gotta be the charismatic and charming Mike Gillis. The guy exudes personality.
He could offer Sundin and his wife a lovely, all-inclusive stay in his right eyebag for the duration of the contract. I heard he just installed a soakertub.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
  #30
newostar
 
newostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
What I don't get is if the Rangers knew Sundin was interested in coming to Broadway months ago as was reported, why didn't they try to create cap room back then?

They've had a long time to make some moves. It just never seems to happen.

With other teams dropping out in the East because of cap space you have to think it's not that easy to do.

This will for sure drag on until the new year, possibly longer until the NYR can create space for him.

I wonder how Vancouver fits into all this. Besides money, haven't heard anything positive.

newostar is offline  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
  #31
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If there's anyone who can sell it's gotta be the charismatic and charming Mike Gillis. The guy exudes personality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
He could offer Sundin and his wife a lovely, all-inclusive stay in his right eyebag for the duration of the contract. I heard he just installed a soakertub.
These two posts literally had me laughing for 5 minutes. Well done guys.

Anyways, you gotta think at this point, it's gonna be NY that signs him. Maybe they're stupid enough to destroy their defense, and send us Roszival, and in desperation to make a deal work, Dubinsky.

vancityluongo is offline  
Old
12-15-2008, 11:48 PM
  #32
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
These two posts literally had me laughing for 5 minutes. Well done guys.

Anyways, you gotta think at this point, it's gonna be NY that signs him. Maybe they're stupid enough to destroy their defense, and send us Roszival, and in desperation to make a deal work, Dubinsky.
I'd take Dubinsky and Zherdev for a 2nd round pick please.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 12:24 AM
  #33
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,756
vCash: 500
like i said in the previous thread, if he wanted to be a Canuck, he would have signed already. clearly he is holding out for an offer from NYR.

so be it ...

OlliMackBjugStud is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
  #34
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
like i said in the previous thread, if he wanted to be a Canuck, he would have signed already. clearly he is holding out for an offer from NYR.

so be it ...
Not true.

Sundin is holding out to see if the Rangers will actually make an offer that appeals to him. There is most definitely salary considerations on both sides, and no gaurantee the Rangers can find the cap room. Assuming they can't jettison enough salary to come up with an offer that appeals to Sundin he will still be in Vancouver. There is definitely a gap that exists, and we will have to see if the Rangers can be creative enough to circumvent the cap. I don't think they can, but that's just me.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 12:39 AM
  #35
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,704
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Not true.

Sundin is holding out to see if the Rangers will actually make an offer that appeals to him. There is most definitely salary considerations on both sides, and no gaurantee the Rangers can find the cap room. Assuming they can't jettison enough salary to come up with an offer that appeals to Sundin he will still be in Vancouver. There is definitely a gap that exists, and we will have to see if the Rangers can be creative enough to circumvent the cap. I don't think they can, but that's just me.
Yup...I really don't see Sundin waiting on NY forever like some people think he might. I think by Friday we'll know. If the Rangers make the moves before then, he'll likely end up there, if they don't I don't think Sundin will wait around for them...I think he'll accept our offer at that point.

Yep, we're sloppy seconds, but I really could care less about that if he ends up here.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 01:34 AM
  #36
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Either way, O'Toole and I called it first. What's that? You say he hasn't even made a decision yet? It doesn't matter. You see, in this day and age of sports journalism, simply saying the name of the teams that a player "might" sign with is enough to give you bragging rights that you scooped everyone on the story. I was on a website over the weekend that had Sundin possibly signing with no less than a dozen NHL teams. In other words, almost half the teams in the National Hockey League.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait/?id=259844


pitseleh is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 01:51 AM
  #37
Finkle is Einhorn
Registered User
 
Finkle is Einhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I love Onrait.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 02:08 AM
  #38
19nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 17,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Eklund is Jay Onrait?

19nazzy is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 02:33 AM
  #39
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newostar View Post
What I don't get is if the Rangers knew Sundin was interested in coming to Broadway months ago as was reported, why didn't they try to create cap room back then?

They've had a long time to make some moves. It just never seems to happen.
Because - with all due respects to the fans of the Rangers - while they're a decent club - they ain't THAT good to unload contracts (even when it's at a more favourable time); no point in taking "pre-emptive action" unless you know 100% Sundin is signing with you.

Sure some garbage like Prucha wouldn't be missed but a guy like Rozsival (despite whatever level of performance he's playing at this season - he's still eating up minutes that you just can't divert that icetime to guys like Redden or whoever is left) or Kalinin would have a negative impact on the Rangers blueline.

Then, what do you do if Sundin decides to retire? You end up weakening your team for no reason.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
  #40
Cocomero*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
"I'm keeping my fingers crossed," Markus Naslund said. Naslund told Sundin on Saturday that he would not be subject to the same media or public scrutiny in New York as he would in a Canadian city.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...

Cocomero* is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 08:16 AM
  #41
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2
 
UBCsalmonslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver/Nanaimo BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,190
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...
That's because Naslund is weak man and couldn't handle the presure. Sundin has played under the lights in Toronto for most of his career; I'm sure he won't have any trouble facing the relatively tame media attention of Vancouver.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
  #42
Tripwyre
Registered User
 
Tripwyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...
I'm hoping for a "In other news, Markus Naslund has been waived to make room for Sundin." Punk *****.

Tripwyre is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
  #43
fogducker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...
what a whiner

fogducker is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
  #44
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,837
vCash: 500
Someone should tell Naslund that the reason he got so much media attention is that he sucked for his last season, and that people resented the fact that he acted like a whiny little ***** after the terrible losses by the Canucks.

Where is all the negative media attention when it comes to Luongo? Mitchell? Kesler? These are all players will hight expectations, and yet the Canucks fans seldom complain about them.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
  #45
SopelFan*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Richard Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I don't care anymore.... let him go to the Rags. I'd love to see them fail big time and be completely cap strapped.

SopelFan* is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
  #46
Dana Murzyn
Registered User
 
Dana Murzyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
That's because Naslund is weak man and couldn't handle the presure. Sundin has played under the lights in Toronto for most of his career; I'm sure he won't have any trouble facing the relatively tame media attention of Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
I'm hoping for a "In other news, Markus Naslund has been waived to make room for Sundin." Punk *****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
what a whiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_LaRue View Post
Someone should tell Naslund that the reason he got so much media attention is that he sucked for his last season, and that people resented the fact that he acted like a whiny little ***** after the terrible losses by the Canucks.

Where is all the negative media attention when it comes to Luongo? Mitchell? Kesler? These are all players will hight expectations, and yet the Canucks fans seldom complain about them.
Woah. Stand down, folks. All he said is there's more media attention for hockey players in Canadian cities than in NY. Simple fact.

Dana Murzyn is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
  #47
KDizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Woah. Stand down, folks. All he said is there's more media attention for hockey players in Canadian cities than in NY. Simple fact.
And it's also funny Naslund's preaching to the choir. I'm sure Sundin knows that having played more seasons as captain of a team with a bigger Canadian fan base.
Sounds to me like something Naslund blurted out to break the awkward silence he and Sundin had in their conversation.

"Hey Mats."
"Markus"
"How are you?"
"Good."
...
"So... did you know that there's less media attention here in NY than in Canadian markets?"
...
"No ****, Sherlock."

KDizzle is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
  #48
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
And it's also funny Naslund's preaching to the choir. I'm sure Sundin knows that having played more seasons as captain of a team with a bigger Canadian fan base.
Sounds to me like something Naslund blurted out to break the awkward silence he and Sundin had in their conversation.

"Hey Mats."
"Markus"
"How are you?"
"Good."
...
"So... did you know that there's less media attention here in NY than in Canadian markets?"
...
"No ****, Sherlock."
You are bashing a guy based on your own speculation?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 11:48 AM
  #49
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,394
vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
I'm hoping for a "In other news, Markus Naslund has been waived to make room for Sundin." Punk *****.
Haha this made me laugh.

Another good one would be, 'Naslund traded to Edmonton in salary dump.'

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
  #50
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,906
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

****ing Naslunds probably telling him **** about this city. What a *****...
Thing is, Sundin wouldn't have to worry about it. Naslund was scrutinized because he sucked the cosmic hot dog during his final 3 years here. Mats at least still has talent.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.