HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Pat Quinn compares Quebec hockey players to soccer players because of diving

Old
12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Thinkaboutthat

vCash: 500
Rejean Tremblay on the same subject
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/c...competence.php

Nothing in Le Journal de Montréal.

Thinkaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...fend-quinn.php

National team assistant Coach Boucher (LHJMQ) defends Quinn. Says he thinks Quinn is 100% right.
Again, not saying that the Q doesn't have some serious issues. But it's totatlly irrelevant as far as making Team Canada. Players that could have been invited and/or could've made the team are not known for diving. Have 2 out of Marshall, Sauvé and Deschamps make the team and there wouldn't be any debate today.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:12 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post

I tried to read it as a whole but he lost me when he said "Si on ne perce pas les 2 premiers trio et qu'on ne parle pas la bonne langue on ne fait pas partie de l'équipe."

Well we have 2/6 players on the bottom 2 lines, what is wrong with that?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:13 AM
SakuKovalev

So Whitesnake you're saying they didn't make it because they're from Quebec?

SakuKovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkaboutthat View Post

And Tremblay making no sense as usual. I just wrote to him saying that how can he seriously say that Team Canada sucks when they keep winning gold medals after gold medals. And then he keeps using 1 example to explain the 20 years of racism from Team Canada. Then this is the same guy who keeps blaming the finnish captain for not speaking french, keeps saying how we should always go for Quebecers instead of Russians or any other countries and so on....but then hates when Quebec might not be looked appropriately.

By writing this and by not even suggesting that we, in Quebec, should look at doing things differently as far as hockey structure is build, is just doing what Hockey Quebec want. It's not their fault, it's all about Team Canada racism....It's purely pathetic and again coming from the guy who gives professionnalism lesson to Benoit Brunet....

Old
12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

There's only Esposito who's really from Quebec and he didn't play in Quebec's development system. At 14 and 15, he played in Shattuck's...

So yes, there's a problem with hockey in this province...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Leroux, the guy covering junior hockey for RDS and CKAC explained it well. Quinn did not see a single Q game this year, and based his opinion on scout's reports.

But scouts have no interest to lie. They call them as they see them. Minor hockey is sick in Quebec right now. The kids are all mixed up. No fights ? Does it mean no hitting ?

It's a big mess.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailGrabovski View Post
So Whitesnake you're saying they didn't make it because they're from Quebec?
No as you can see in the numerous posts about it. I'm saying that Team Canada decided to go with players that felt more confortable with. Nothing against Quebec but all for the rest of Canada 'cause it has been proven that so far it works. What I'm against is just giving stupid reasons to explain why Quebec born players are not making it. They could say that they prefer the style of a player instead of another....but divers? That's my biggest problem with that statement. What I'm also saying is that there are some urban legends that needs to be corrected. Not saying they are ENTIRELY false, but they have been exagerated from my own view.

And by the way, for whoever will want to make this about politics, my 2 biggest question marks as far as not being invited are Riopel and Adam. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not SOLELY talking about Quebec born players here...

Old
12-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Leroux, the guy covering junior hockey for RDS and CKAC explained it well. Quinn did not see a single Q game this year, and based his opinion on scout's reports.

But scouts have no interest to lie. They call them as they see them. Minor hockey is sick in Quebec right now. The kids are all mixed up. No fights ? Does it mean no hitting ?

It's a big mess.
Again, I don't entirely disagree. But this is really 2 subjects here. The health of this sport in our province, which is somewhat a problem and NEEDS to be address. And having a couple of more guys that could have been invited and could have made the team. They could have been able to invite 2 or 3 more guys, having 1 or 2 more guys in the team that still could've fit the mold that Quinn likes.

Old
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No as you can see in the numerous posts about it. I'm saying that Team Canada decided to go with players that felt more confortable with. Nothing against Quebec but all for the rest of Canada 'cause it has been proven that so far it works. What I'm against is just giving stupid reasons to explain why Quebec born players are not making it. They could say that they prefer the style of a player instead of another....but divers? That's my biggest problem with that statement. What I'm also saying is that there are some urban legends that needs to be corrected. Not saying they are ENTIRELY false, but they have been exagerated from my own view.

And by the way, for whoever will want to make this about politics, my 2 biggest question marks as far as not being invited are Riopel and Adam. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not SOLELY talking about Quebec born players here...

I'll return the question, why wasn't Mike Murphy invited? Why not Jared Cowen? Why players such as Kadri, Hall and Kane got cut from the team?

Old
12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I'll return the question, why wasn't Mike Murphy invited? Why not Jared Cowen? Why players such as Kadri, Hall and Kane got cut from the team?
And you know what? I've already address it earlier by saying that while I was questioning Nicola Riopel, some have already A LOT questioned Mike Murphy. Don't worry, there are A LOT of people questioning those choices already, so I hope it's not a problem if I do the same for players I know....

As far as Kadri and others....well age was a factor.........

Old
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Again, I don't entirely disagree. But this is really 2 subjects here. The health of this sport in our province, which is somewhat a problem and NEEDS to be address. And having a couple of more guys that could have been invited and could have made the team. They could have been able to invite 2 or 3 more guys, having 1 or 2 more guys in the team that still could've fit the mold that Quinn likes.
Again, Leroux who is covering the Q extensively said that "maybe" 1 or 2 players could had been invited, but nothing prove that they would had made it.

Marshall was good enough to make it. But they decided to keep a small, young, D-man with PP skills instead.

The only solution: get Sovereingty and have a TEAM Quebec ! Then...

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 12-16-2008 at 09:42 AM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:39 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Kevin Marshall:

«Je me vois comme étant capable de compétitionner à ce niveau. Ils ne le disent pas vraiment, mais il y a toujours des places assurées dans l'équipe, même si certains gars ne connaissent pas un bon camp d'entraînement», soulignait celui qui n'estimait pas leur calibre plus élevé que celui pratiqué dans la LHJMQ.

«Il n'y a pas de Sidney Crosby et ils ne domineraient pas pour autant dans notre ligue. Au Québec, on a un style plus offensif et plus ouvert alors que dans l'Ouest, c'est plus physique. Mais peu importe, il y a toujours eu plus de gars de l'Ouest et de l'Ontario, ce qui est une énigme qu'on ne sera jamais capable de résoudre», avouait le natif de Boucherville.

He says he would be able to play at this level. "They don't say it, but several spots on the team are already taken, even if some guys don't have a good training camp." He doesn't think that OHL and WHL's caliber are so much better than QMJHL's.

"There's no Sidney Crosby and they wouldn't dominate that much in our league. In Quebec, we have more of an offensive and open style, while in the West, it's more physical. Anyway, there are always more guys from the West and Ontario, which is a an enigma we'll never be able to solve."

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...bredouille.php

Old
12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
It's quite obvious that they went with more experienced players and they really wanted only 2 scoring line and well Eberle or Hall is debatable, but it's a hockey decision both are really good players. 09 draft is sick and alot of players couldve made the team, but they only picked Ellis who will only play on the PP and nothing else. So no undrafted players except for Tavares who is a returnee will be regular player on this team.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Again, Leroux who is covering the Q extensively said that "maybe" 1 or 2 players could had been invited, but nothing prove that they would had made it.

The only solution: get Sovereingty and have a TEAM Quebec ! Then...
I think his point is that he would like more guys from the QMJHL, not quebecers...

Old
12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I think his point is that he would like more guys from the QMJHL, not quebecers...
Thanks for getting the point....I guess it's not everybody who can....

And again, I will repeat that I have A LOT against Quinn "diving" excuse. You don't want to choose Q players, while I will be dissapointed 'cause that's the league I follow the most, I will in the end understand, mostly when year after year, they have a gold medal to put in my face to show me and the rest of this country that they've made the right choices. Still, I don't believe going with Marshall instead of Goloubef would change the outcome of a tournament but you never know.

So in the end, pick whoever you want but expect to be criticized, like it is EVERY SINGLE YEAR and not only from Quebecers. People should take a look at the Team Canada thread to see HOW furious tons of people were for not having Murphy in. And you know what? Guess how many pure Canadians, will jump on Quinn and Co if Pickard and Tokarski don't do the job properly........But then will you see posters going to guys from Ontario to get their own country if they're not happy?

I just choose to talk about a league I know. But then, I also understand the league's deficiencies. I really do. But again don't use the diving excuse to explain why you don't choose players from the Q 'cause even if it's true that there are more divers in this league, there are also A LOT of guys that don't dive and could've been tournament material.

Old
12-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Again, not saying that the Q doesn't have some serious issues. But it's totatlly irrelevant as far as making Team Canada. Players that could have been invited and/or could've made the team are not known for diving. Have 2 out of Marshall, Sauvé and Deschamps make the team and there wouldn't be any debate today.
Yeah i didn't understand why niether Deschamps or Sauvé made the team, Deschamps has international hockey writen all over him. And i thought that they didn't deserve to be invited, then i came here to know why they weren't invited.

Whitesnake, do you believe Deschamps deserved to be invited?

But i dont realy care about team Canada, i just follow international competition to see Habs players or prospects.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Kriss E

My question is why is Quinn even coaching?..
He never lead his teams to triumph in the NHL and the teams he won with on the International level, well a lot of coaches could have done it with those rosters.

Needless to say, he is a good coach but he's old and obviously dumb.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He never lead his teams to triumph in the NHL and the teams he won with on the International level, well a lot of coaches could have done it with those rosters.

True, i personnaly don't care about what he said against the Q, but you see the guy is dumb as it come, the way he said it you could tell he waited for the right opportunity, it was premeditated. But i do like physical hockey, something he likes too.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Yeah i didn't understand why niether Deschamps or Sauvé made the team, Deschamps has international hockey writen all over him. And i thought that they didn't deserve to be invited, then i came here to know why they weren't invited.

Whitesnake, do you believe Deschamps deserved to be invited?

But i dont realy care about team Canada, i just follow international competition to see Habs players or prospects.
In all honesty.....I'm not too sure. The guy had a terrible start of the year. But the way he picked it up since then made me think he could've deserve at least an invitation.

But I am a big Sauvé fan. For me, Sauvé will end up being Matthew Lombardi V.2. But the kid has everything a team would need. So my biggest question marks were for Riopel, Adam and Sauvé....Deschamps....well maybe....

Old
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Quinn is coaching because he won U-18 gold last year and Hartsburg moved on from the U-20. Almost a natural progression.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:00 PM
TonyTinglebone

Anybody have a list of the Q players that have made the U-20 team since 2000? I can't seem to recall too many unless they were elite players on the team. Also noticed several of the recent ones are from the Atlantic provinces.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Anybody have a list of the Q players that have made the U-20 team since 2000? I can't seem to recall too many unless they were elite players on the team. Also noticed several of the recent ones are from the Atlantic provinces.
Some players were loaned by their NHL team, still were coming the year before through the Q.

Jonathan Bernier
Brad Marchand
Claude Giroux

Letang
Bourdon
Cliche
Marchand

Bourdon
Letang
Latendresse

Crosby
Dixon

Fleury
Dixon
Talbot
Crosby

Fleury
Rouleau
Bouchard
Parenteau

Leclaire
Michaud

Ouellet
Reid

Ouellet
Biron
Rullier
Chouinard
Reid
Ribeiro
Ryder
Richards

Old
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Some players were loaned by their NHL team, still were coming the year before through the Q.

Jonathan Bernier
Brad Marchand
Claude Giroux

Letang
Bourdon
Cliche
Marchand

Bourdon
Letang
Latendresse

Crosby
Dixon

Fleury
Dixon
Talbot
Crosby

Fleury
Rouleau
Bouchard
Parenteau

Leclaire
Michaud

Ouellet
Reid

Ouellet
Biron
Rullier
Chouinard
Reid
Ribeiro
Ryder
Richards
Thanks for the info.

So after 2000 the most players playing out of the Q was 4. The amount of Quebec born players is on the decline as well. Since Crosby's first year on the team the amount of selections of Quebec born players is equal to the Maritime born selections. This year with Cormier, Didomenico, and Esposito being selected there has been more non-Quebec born players selected from the Q than Quebec born players since 2004.
Is this due to a talent drop in Quebec or a negative bias towards these players?
When was the last time Team Canada had a coach that was from the Q? Claude Julien?

Old
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
In all honesty.....I'm not too sure. The guy had a terrible start of the year. But the way he picked it up since then made me think he could've deserve at least an invitation.

But I am a big Sauvé fan. For me, Sauvé will end up being Matthew Lombardi V.2. But the kid has everything a team would need. So my biggest question marks were for Riopel, Adam and Sauvé....Deschamps....well maybe....
Sauvé is way too soft, he needs to develop this aspect of his game.

Deschamps had a bad start and I think people are starting to realize that he is not as good as they thought.

But I agree with Adam and Rio, they should have been invited...