HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

andrew alberts

Old
12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
pfoppa21

vCash: 500
andrew alberts

numbers dont lie since he got here were on an upswing i think vannanen sits for the time being and with timmonen who is the most underrated d man in hockey , Alberts has been a shut down d man and very solid in his end, heres what my lines are:
Timonen-Carle
Coburn- Sbisa
Alberts-Jones
Flame away but there balanced this way and jones has a steady partner to carry the load till he gets his legs back.

pfoppa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoppa21 View Post
numbers dont lie since he got here were on an upswing i think vannanen sits for the time being and with timmonen who is the most underrated d man in hockey , Alberts has been a shut down d man and very solid in his end, heres what my lines are:
Timonen-Carle
Coburn- Sbisa
Alberts-Jones
Flame away but there balanced this way and jones has a steady partner to carry the load till he gets his legs back.
Yeah, I'm sure there's a direct correlation between Alberts' arrival and this team's turnaround. Come on, let's not act like he's that important.

As for the bolded, I disagree. Vaananen averages 5 more minutes of ice time and is matched up against better players. Alberts is best suited on the third-pairing and has played his best hockey in that role. Taking an average player out of his comfort zone by playing him against better talent and drastically increasing his minutes can lead to trouble (see: Vandermeer, Jim).

To be honest, I don't even know why I bothered responding to this. I should be asleep.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:29 AM
BerubeBox*

Since Vaananen's been the 2nd best defenseman on the flyers this year, it's pretty bizarre you'd pick him to be scratched.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:55 AM
chaosof99*

Alberts has been a lot better than people expected him to be or said he was after the first few games. However, he is in no way better than Väänänen. Now with our Defense coming off the IR we of course have to pick and chose what we do with our nine defensemen and I would rather expect Jones to be traded sometime soon. For the while he is here, I see the following defensepairings:

Carle - Coburn
Timonen - Väänänen
Jones - Alberts

Sbisa is great but he is probably to easiest guy to "get rid of" as he can be sent back to juniors. I'd rather have him stick around though because he is that good. On the other hand, I don't want to burn him out. If Jones gets traded he'd be the first guy to fill the slot. I would actually like to have him platoon the games with someone else, but the question is who.

Kukkonen already hit the waiver wire once and wasn't picked up. He will probably be put on waivers again, clear them, not get picked up and be released. I like the guy but he is probably the least effective defenseman on the team. I guess he'll return to europe should he get released.

Parent is a good young talent and I wouldn't want to get rid of him. On the other hand, he isn't exactly better than any of the other d-men except Kukks. He will probably start in the AHL. Should Jones get traded I'd call him up and have him split the games with Sbisa. Else he will probably spend the season in the AHL. There is also the possibility of him getting traded but I believe he has enough potential that we should keep him.

And then there is the odd man out nobody remembers anymore that is Hatcher. I don't think he will come off the IR again and will probably end his career in Philadelphia after this season.

The defensive depth chart as I see it:
Timonen
Carle
Väänänen
Coburn
Jones
Sbisa
Alberts
Parent
Kukkonen
(Hatcher)

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
curtisinpa

Never, ever, ever, ever, look at numbers and make assessments. Watch the games, then make the assessments. While Alberts has been improving he's still not even close to how good Vaananen has been for us. Sbisa's youth has been showing in the past week's. He needs more development.

Timonen-Coburn (I think this line should be reunited)
Carle-Vaananen
Alberts-Jones

curtisinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:11 AM
ThePiousInfant

If we send Sbisa back to Lethridge, are we allowed to bring him back later in the season or in the playoffs?

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:11 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
If we send Sbisa back to Lethridge, are we allowed to bring him back later in the season or in the playoffs?
I was just going to ask this myself. My assumption is that we can.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:18 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
No way Vaananen sits. Hes been pretty good so far. And Alberts has gotten better of late, but id imagine Sbisa sits first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
This is a really good question.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
I think on an emergency basis or when Lethbridge's season is over.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Let Sbisa go back to the W

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:54 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i agree with the sentiment that sbisa should go back to lethbridge. i love what he's done for us, but his play has flagged lately and he could use some experience with some easier competition. with all he's learned in the nhl, i could see him having a great time in the W.

no way in hell vaananen sits. he's looked great with carle, and lets us keep coburn with timonen.

timonen-coburn
carle-vaananen
jones-alberts

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

?This is why the Ahl rule is retarded

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Banger

Alberts sits and Sbisa isn't going anywhere. Sbisa has been playing as good as/better than Alberts and he's been getting #1 PP time. You also have to consider upside and Sbisa's upside is off the charts.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
?This is why the Ahl rule is retarded
The "20 years or older" Rule? Completely agree!

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Alberts sits and Sbisa isn't going anywhere. Sbisa has been playing as good as/better than Alberts and he's been getting #1 PP time. You also have to consider upside and Sbisa's upside is off the charts.
I'm a huge Sbisa fan but I'm going to have to disagree here. In the past few weeks, Sbisa has taken a slight step back. My bet, the physical play and travel has caught up to him. I don't however, want to see him sent back to the WHL. I'd like to see him up here all year round. Just give him a night or two off and see how the new pairing play...take it from there.

Having extra capable defenseman is a good problem to have.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:10 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah Alberts has outplayed Sbisa.

PP D men:

Timonen-Carle
Coburn-Jones

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
FrederickFlyer27

from timmy p's article: Holmgren said there is no reason to send Sbisa back to junior because he has earned his spot in the lineup and hasn’t done anything to lose it. He also said it might not be a bad idea to rest Sbisa a game here and there since the 18-year-old rookie is not accustomed to the long grind of an 82-game NHL season.

link: http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...868&feedID=717

FrederickFlyer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I'm a huge Sbisa fan but I'm going to have to disagree here. In the past few weeks, Sbisa has taken a slight step back. My bet, the physical play and travel has caught up to him. I don't however, want to see him sent back to the WHL. I'd like to see him up here all year round. Just give him a night or two off and see how the new pairing play...take it from there.

Having extra capable defenseman is a good problem to have.
I agree with that. I think they should rotate him with Alberts. Have Sbisa play two games to every game for Alberts. Someone will get banged up and Alberts will be back in soon enough.

Due to the cap issues though I believe Jones will be auditioning for a spot until Briere comes back and they need to make some tough decisions. It's Jones vs. Lupul for the next month and the most replaceable player gets moved.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I think it would be pretty stupid actually, to sit Alberts over Sbisa. I love Sbisa, but it's obvious he's wearing down. Even Homer admitted he should sit a few games here and there.
With Jones returning, who knows how he's going to come out right off the bat. I'd rather see Alberts, who has been relatively sound for a while now, over Sbisa who has been sliding a bit. God forbid Jones comes back and ***** the bed, and we'd have two underperforming defensemen out there. Give Sbisa his rest, while Jones gets his legs back. Which reminds me, I also still wouldn't mind seeing Jones go to the AHL for a two-week stint.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Ossi = NOT SITTING

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Brophy

lately, no on one really deserves to sit, even Kukks. Only thing I can think of is dressing a 7th and sending Powe back to AHL but Powe has been awesome.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:26 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisinpa View Post
Never, ever, ever, ever, look at numbers and make assessments. Watch the games, then make the assessments. While Alberts has been improving he's still not even close to how good Vaananen has been for us. Sbisa's youth has been showing in the past week's. He needs more development.

Timonen-Coburn (I think this line should be reunited)
Carle-Vaananen
Alberts-Jones
I make almost all of my assessments from watching games and generally refer to stats to support them if necessary. Vaananen makes some of the worst errors of all of our defensemen, hands down. Turnovers in front of the net, not getting the puck out, etc...if any of that isn't obvious it's because he's been paired with our best defenseman (Kimmo) who can pretty much hide the smaller, less obvious mistakes of anyone he is paired with.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Id send Sbisa back, Alberts has played really well for us so far.

If they trade Jones later, bring Sbisa back, or Kukkonen. I think Sbisa is amazing, but he is 18, if we send him back for the rest of the year, then thats fine. Hes 18. I dont see how that could hurt him. I think hes starting to wear down a bit, and Id feel more comfortable with Alberts, Jones, Kukkonen down the stretch

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Ossi = NOT SITTING
Yeah, not happening.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Id Start A Riot if Ossi sat in favor of Alberts.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote