HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
If he who shall not be mentioned is right i am not helping out the rangers by taking a bad contract without Ryan Callahan comin back this way....if hes not included no deal why shoudl we be saddled with a ridiculous contract so if they want then i would do Callahan and a UFA salary dump for a 2nd.....
Scott Gomez + Marc Staal for Taylor Pyatt, and viola, they have cap space

12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Uhh...actually I do understand how the cap works, thank you very much. Have you even read the CBA?

Thought so...
Haha, yes - page by page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser
And if you look closely, aside from one calculation error on my part (not pro-rating Kalinen's and Prucha's salary), it's essentially the same thing as what nfiTO wrote.
Uhhh...that error is kind of the point. Without that error you would have been....right - as opposed to the opposite of right?

Old
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
Some loser from the minors who makes $400K.
$400k is less than the league minimum.

Old
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That includes Corey Potter. I believe they're carrying 7 in that total from nhlnumbers.
ahhh that explains it....(I was just looking at Irish Blues site).

Still, replacing a guy playing just over 18 minutes a game with a player who has just one NHL game under his belt is a bit risky IMHO.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
ahhh that explains it....(I was just looking at Irish Blues site).

Still, replacing a guy playing just over 18 minutes a game with a player who has just one NHL game under his belt is a bit risky IMHO.
More than risky, it's plain stupid given the makeup of their defense.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Haha, yes - page by page.

Uhhh...that error is kind of the point. Without that error you would have been....right - as opposed to the opposite of right?
I've read the CBA..

I'm also currently at work and thus, prone to making mistakes when I'm not fully concentrating. Sue me!

Old
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
More than risky, it's plain stupid given the makeup of their defense.
Not too mention the fact that they'd have zero room for callups in case of minor injuries where the guy can't go on the IR. Combine that with no extra bodies being carried and that's just asking for trouble.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Not too mention the fact that they'd have zero room for callups in case of minor injuries where the guy can't go on the IR. Combine that with no extra bodies being carried and that's just asking for trouble.
But again...this is the Rangers we're talking about...

Old
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Uhh...actually I do understand how the cap works, thank you very much. Have you even read the CBA?

Thought so...

And if you look closely, aside from one calculation error on my part (not pro-rating Kalinen's and Prucha's salary), it's essentially the same thing as what nfiTO wrote.
if all you're missing is the prorated contracts for Kalinin and Prucha, then your numbers wouldn't be that far off... but I think you would have to be missing other numbers as well, since the cap breakdown I did didn't come close to the $8mill you suggested.

when I did the numbers all that would fit would be Sundin at $5mill... anything more and it just wouldn't fit. You suggested a $8mill prorated contract though - which is significantly off from the numbers that I calculated.

maybe my numbers are off... but I did try and break down every contract and every prorated salary to minimize mistakes and to be as close to accurate as possible.

the numbers I got showed that the rangers would have to waive/trade for no salary coming back: Prucha, Fritsche, and Kalinin, and would also have to send Korpokoski to the minors (doesn't need to clear waivers)... they could only then sign Sundin to $5mill (prorated - which works out to $3mill for the rest of the season), and if they add 2 other minimum wage players ($500K/ea) they would then be at a 22 man roster just barely under the cap.

I don't see how all that fits, if you give Sundin $8mill. Considering there are 112 days left under the 187 day total cap count, that'd be a $4.79mill cap hit... I had barely over $200K left over with Sundin taking a $3mill cap hit for the rest of the season at the $5mill annual salary...

so how exactly does it fit with $8mill contract?

again, maybe my numbers are off... but I'm not sure where I made the mistake? Even if you exclude the 2 extra forwards I suggested and just go with a 20 man roster, you're looking at an additional $600K the team can add for the rest of the season, putting their overall cap flexibility at around $800K (instead of $200K).

plugging those numbers in with a 20 man roster and assuming the Rangers play to the cap (56.7mill) with just 20 players, the absolute most that they can offer Sundin would be $3.8mill for the rest of the season - which if he signed today would be an annual salary of $6.45mill annually.... which we know will never happen because at that salary it means you carry just 20 players - and again that includes waiving Prucha, Fristche, Kalinin and demoting Korpokoski... and replacing Kalinin with Potter to give you the minimum 6 dmen.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Doesn't this get you excited?

Old
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
I've read the CBA..

I'm also currently at work and thus, prone to making mistakes when I'm not fully concentrating. Sue me!
Lol, no worries. On occasion I'm a bit of a ********, so just slap me if it happens.

I have just been looking at the Rangers cap figures for around a week, and seriously do not see how they are going to fit Sundin without totally fubar'ing the entire lineup.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
if all you're missing is the prorated contracts for Kalinin and Prucha, then your numbers wouldn't be that far off... but I think you would have to be missing other numbers as well, since the cap breakdown I did didn't come close to the $8mill you suggested.

when I did the numbers all that would fit would be Sundin at $5mill... anything more and it just wouldn't fit. You suggested a $8mill prorated contract though - which is significantly off from the numbers that I calculated.

maybe my numbers are off... but I did try and break down every contract and every prorated salary to minimize mistakes and to be as close to accurate as possible.

the numbers I got showed that the rangers would have to waive/trade for no salary coming back: Prucha, Fritsche, and Kalinin, and would also have to send Korpokoski to the minors (doesn't need to clear waivers)... they could only then sign Sundin to $5mill (prorated - which works out to $3mill for the rest of the season), and if they add 2 other minimum wage players ($500K/ea) they would then be at a 22 man roster just barely under the cap.

I don't see how all that fits, if you give Sundin $8mill. Considering there are 112 days left under the 187 day total cap count, that'd be a $4.79mill cap hit... I had barely over $200K left over with Sundin taking a $3mill cap hit for the rest of the season at the $5mill annual salary...

so how exactly does it fit with $8mill contract?

again, maybe my numbers are off... but I'm not sure where I made the mistake? Even if you exclude the 2 extra forwards I suggested and just go with a 20 man roster, you're looking at an additional $600K the team can add for the rest of the season, putting their overall cap flexibility at around $800K (instead of $200K).

plugging those numbers in with a 20 man roster and assuming the Rangers play to the cap (56.7mill) with just 20 players, the absolute most that they can offer Sundin would be $3.8mill for the rest of the season - which if he signed today would be an annual salary of $6.45mill annually.... which we know will never happen because at that salary it means you carry just 20 players - and again that includes waiving Prucha, Fristche, Kalinin and demoting Korpokoski... and replacing Kalinin with Potter to give you the minimum 6 dmen.
I posted another post with the corrected calculations, and added in the 700k penalty that I was not aware of, and my number came out to about $4.8M

Old
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Rover*

Quote:

Doesn't this get you excited?
No photoshops don't excite me.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Lol, no worries. On occasion I'm a bit of a ********, so just slap me if it happens.

I have just been looking at the Rangers cap figures for around a week, and seriously do not see how they are going to fit Sundin without totally fubar'ing the entire lineup.
Yeah, basically, if they get Sundin they'll either have to take away from their defense, or deal a guy like Gomez (idealy) unless he takes a huge discount.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162008...ame_144482.htm

Mats Sundin, who was scheduled to fly to Toronto yesterday on personal business, instead remained in New York, The Post has learned. The free agent center is expected to choose a team by Friday.

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed," Markus Naslund said. Naslund told Sundin on Saturday that he would not be subject to the same media or public scrutiny in New York as he would in a Canadian city.

Is'nt he supposed to be in Vancouver tonight talking to Gillis?

Old
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
No, that's Barry.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Rover*

Quote:

Mats Sundin, who was scheduled to fly to Toronto yesterday on personal business, instead remained in New York, The Post has learned. The free agent center is expected to choose a team by Friday.

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed," Markus Naslund said. Naslund told Sundin on Saturday that he would not be subject to the same media or public scrutiny in New York as he would in a Canadian city.

No sundin was never scheduled to be here only jp barry. Well we ran naslund out of town, so it's only fair that he talks smack about us to sundin now.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:

Nope, his minion JP Eatme is talking to Gillis about the Sedins and Ohlund's contract status, and I am sure Gillis will beg one final time for Mats.

Old
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

ahh ok, thats where I was confused, thanks guys.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Yeah, basically, if they get Sundin they'll either have to take away from their defense, or deal a guy like Gomez (idealy) unless he takes a huge discount.
And call me naive, but I have a hard time believing that Sundin would take a substantial discount to play in New York just so he can enjoy their travel, restaurants, theatre, etc. for the next four months. Even $7 million prorated versus $10 million prorated at this point in the season is $2 million of salary he'd be giving up for those conveniences. I know that money isn't the only factor, but I have a hard time buying that he'd take a bigger discount than that to sign in New York.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:02 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

Huh? The local papers say he is back in Sweden. I'll try to find the link.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
That's what I thought too.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:

Naslund really needs to get over that. If Sundin hates the "media scrutiny" as much as Naslund, I really don't want him.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Well, it is Larry Brooks...

Old
12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Naslund really needs to get over that. If Sundin hates the "media scrutiny" as much as Naslund, I really don't want him.
Sundin probably told naslund, look buddy, I survived toronto and their media, you would have been eaten alive there and crying everyday.

Closed Thread