HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs better than last season?

Old
12-16-2008, 07:26 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
I think this year's Habs are better, just not playing better at the moment anyway. Not the full game.

Last year you played better, you had more bravado. Of course that came more in the 2nd half of the season soo.....it's early still.

But the PP, this is a big concern. Streit or no Steit, Habs #1 in the NHL powerplay and now in the basement. So many talented forwards, this is opposite of what should be imo. A confident offensive team comes out and knows to score on the pp. There is a serious lack of confidence or bravado from Hab forwards at the moment. I guess it centres around Kovalev. But with this much depth, only one puck to go around, not enough players getting hot for the club. Last year you had more well defined roles. One top scoring line you would lean on to score goals. Same line was 1st powerplay unit so there was more continuity and the confidence build. Always on the ice, always scoring goals, always leaned on for the offence. This year, too much line changing, many different looks on the pp, some players scoring, some not at all.

There is no balance in the club offensively. There is no identity right now. But, the potential is there to become better than last year for sure. The team has shown it can win close games it seams, this is a big plus.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Bingo. In 29 games played we've allowed 10 fewer goals. That's exactly what I've been saying. We've let in less goals. Now this could be because of a better goal tending duo and/or team defence. I think this is a good sign. Defence wins championships. The scoring will come. We're on pace with last year.
Something that is being overlooked a lot is that this team is doing much much better at ES. Last year we depeneded on the PP and when that failed we struggled, this year we're winning our games at ES and that bodes well if the PP can start putting up a few more goals.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
14-11-1-3, 32 pts, 83 GF, 85 GA

Now...

16-8-1-4, 37 pts, 85 GF, 75 GA

Still better...
If that's correct... The 5-point difference in the standings is less meaningful, in my mind, than going from a -2 to a +10 goal differential. That would indicate to me that last year's team was lucky to be over .500; this year's team's +10 goal differential would indicate that it has actually been significantly better and its better record is well-earned.

And really, if you remember how last year went that's probably true. The Habs absolutely caught fire starting in January last year. Let's see if they can do that again.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:15 AM
dutchy29

I'd rather have a team that is showing some heart, chemistry, and overall able to compete every game with some of the best teams. I think we are doing that, we are still going thru growing pains with so many young players be added in and taken out of the lineup. As long as every thing comes together in April when it matters, I'm happy.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
TheCH*

Rather then people concentrating solely on stats as consolation, you should look at the way the team has played. You just know that if they continue playing this way, those stats will not keep up and there is no way we come near 104 points.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
This isn't really worth much, we played like badly and won a lot of games early on. minus the first 10 games and i think we lose almost half our points. We've played good hockey at times, but losing to bottom teams isn't exactly encouraging. At least if our loses came to SJ or something, but they don't. Mind you, when we do face SJ, watch us play extremely well like we did in detroit. Then when we face LA, NYI, CBJ, or any bottom team, manage to lose. It's inconsistent, that's the problem. The PP is one thing, but their inconsistent play is another. Basically if we finish 8th in the conference, we'll play well vs the 1st place team, but if we finish 1st, we'll underestimate the 8th place team and lose in the first round?

The only thing stats show is that we do have a better team, that our defence is better, 5 on 5 is better and that our inconsistent play hasn't bitten us enough to screw us just yet. We've been fortunate certain games, and not so much others but considering we haven't played at our potential, having the points we do is very fortunate. JUst depends on if the team rests or builds on it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
After 24 games our Habs are 14-6-4 with 32 points

Last year, after 24 games, the Habs were 13-8-3 with 29 points

Last year the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with 3 consecutive losses where they ended up 13-11-3 after 27 games.

I really don't think things are as bad as some make out as you can see the defensive game much improved due to their snake bitten offense thus far. Kudos to the coaching staff for making this adjustment. You can tell they're still learning the new defense-first system, but it has the making for something grand especially once the offense get's going. Don't fret folks. The Habs are doing just fine. They have 3 wins in their last 4 games and can close to within 4 points of the East leading Rangers with a win tonight. Not too shabby.

EDIT: As a matter of fact the 2007-08 edition of the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with losing 5 of their next 6 games (2 in a shootout). They ended up 14-11-5 after 30 games for 33 points. In 3 of those losses they were blown out 4-0 to New Jersey, 4-1 to Detroit, and 5-1 to Carolina.

Dispite the negativity in the media surrounding the team that says the Habs aren't playing a good as last season.....they ARE actually holding their own and still have more points than they had this time last year.

They have some injuries to some key players, that is going to effect the team, we have some key players who are not playing as well as they did last year too....that is going to effect the team too.
Guys like Plekanec, the Kostitsyn brothers and Latendresse aren't playing at the same level they played at last year, but guys like Tanguay, Lang, Koivu and Kovalev have stepped up when they are in the lineup and are leading the team the best they can.
Kovalev might not be scoring a ton of goals, but he is setting them up. Koivu is playing very well this year, when he is healthy and in the lineup. Tanguay has been a pleasant surprise...he is fitting in very nicely. Lang is putting up some good points as well.
Our goaltending is solid no matter if Price or Halak is playing. Our defence has struggled a bit, but we're missing Komisarek, so of course that is going to effect the team in a negative way. Once he comes back....things will get better.

People need to sit back, relax and just watch the Habs play hockey whether they win or lose. They are a good team and I have total faith in them...we just need to be patient until all the injuries are over with and then we'll be back on top or the conference.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Rather then people concentrating solely on stats as consolation, you should look at the way the team has played. You just know that if they continue playing this way, those stats will not keep up and there is no way we come near 104 points.
I'm a fan of aesthetics, but the how is not nearly as important as the what. The Habs are winning, they're keeping the puck out of their own net a lot, their goalies are giving them solid performances, they're scoring more than they get scored on. Which of these trends is worrying again?

Old
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
If that's correct... The 5-point difference in the standings is less meaningful, in my mind, than going from a -2 to a +10 goal differential. That would indicate to me that last year's team was lucky to be over .500; this year's team's +10 goal differential would indicate that it has actually been significantly better and its better record is well-earned.

And really, if you remember how last year went that's probably true. The Habs absolutely caught fire starting in January last year. Let's see if they can do that again.
Stop comparing last year's first half record, the real test will be to repeat the 30-12-4 record after the holidays.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Stop comparing last year's first half record, the real test will be to repeat the 30-12-4 record after the holidays.
They don't really need to. They only need to repeat their record this year to date and they'll hit 104-106 points and a comparable goal-differential.

Which is good because I think one thing everyone agrees is that the team has a high opportunity for improvement.