HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sundin Signs with Canucks (Official)!

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
kideh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
And call me naive, but I have a hard time believing that Sundin would take a substantial discount to play in New York just so he can enjoy their travel, restaurants, theatre, etc. for the next four months. Even $7 million prorated versus $10 million prorated at this point in the season is $2 million of salary he'd be giving up for those conveniences. I know that money isn't the only factor, but I have a hard time buying that he'd take a bigger discount than that to sign in New York.
You'd think if that was so important, he'd just, oh, I dunno... take the $10 million we're offering and blow it in NYC after the season is done.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Shareefruck

This isn't just based on that one above comment, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that Naslund was a bit of a sneaky gutless character behind that persona. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I just could not buy the 'classy' thing at all.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Jesus Quintana*

If Sundin really ever considered playing in Vancouver, would he not at least visit, sit in the box with Gillis, meet the players, look around, etc.? I know he was in NYC for poker stars, but he sure seemed to spend a lot more time checkin out the surroundings than he ever did in Vancouver.

Now then, if he is still in NYC, I think it is then obvious that this is where he is going to sign. The Gillis meeting will essentially be one last kick at the cash cow to see what they can scare the Rangers into offering.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kideh View Post
You'd think if that was so important, he'd just, oh, I dunno... take the $10 million we're offering and blow it in NYC after the season is done.
Yeah, that's sort of my point. I can see New York being his favourite, but I also think he has an expectation that they will pay him well. Obviously he's not expecting the same amount of money as the Canucks are offering, but personally I can't see him going for say $5 million in New York over $10 million in Vancouver, but I could be wrong on that.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
If Sundin really ever considered playing in Vancouver, would he not at least visit, sit in the box with Gillis, meet the players, look around, etc.? I know he was in NYC for poker stars, but he sure seemed to spend a lot more time checkin out the surroundings than he ever did in Vancouver.

Now then, if he is still in NYC, I think it is then obvious that this is where he is going to sign. The Gillis meeting will essentially be one last kick at the cash cow to see what they can scare the Rangers into offering.
Like I said before, if Sundin comes to Vancouver he'd be hounded by the media and fans.

Old
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kideh View Post
It is kinda dumb now that you mention that... I mean if he wants a 1 year deal then he's only going to be spending the next 6 months or so in New York... then off again to his home of Sweden maybe permanently. If he really wants to live and experience New York, he can just buy a condo in Manhattan and have his post-retirement business based in NYC.

Of course, his decision will be a combination of where he wants to live and hockey-related decisions, but in this sense, if he loves NYC so much, I'm sure he can make do without living there for 6 months.

Now if he wants a 2-year deal, it changes things a bit, I don't know what his thought process would be, but then again who really does.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Yeah, that's sort of my point. I can see New York being his favourite, but I also think he has an expectation that they will pay him well. Obviously he's not expecting the same amount of money as the Canucks are offering, but personally I can't see him going for say $5 million in New York over $10 million in Vancouver, but I could be wrong on that.
How much do statue of liberty visits cost? He may be holding out for the rangers to throw in some coupons there.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Sundin probably told naslund, look buddy, I survived toronto and their media, you would have been eaten alive there and crying everyday.
The media scrutiny is only bad if the player is not performing well. Naslund never complained about playing in Vancouver when he was putting up good numbers. When his game deteriorated, all of a sudden, the media was responsible.

Bottom line on Naslund - as a 6 million dollar player he was a colossal failure. He was a second line winger making first line money - that is why the media scrutinized him.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
It is kinda dumb now that you mention that... I mean if he wants a 1 year deal then he's only going to be spending the next 6 months or so in New York... then off again to his home of Sweden maybe permanently. If he really wants to live and experience New York, he can just buy a condo in Manhattan and have his post-retirement business based in NYC.

Of course, his decision will be a combination of where he wants to live and hockey-related decisions, but in this sense, if he loves NYC so much, I'm sure he can make do without living there for 6 months.

Now if he wants a 2-year deal, it changes things a bit, I don't know what his thought process would be, but then again who really does.
Exactly. It's not like he's some average person who moves to New York for their career for quality of life reasons. He's spending 6 months tops there, and really he's not going to be enjoying himself much during the playoffs so it's closer to 4 months. Is it worth $2 or $3 million to spend the next four months in NY? I know he has a lot of money, but regardless of how much money you have that's a lot to give up.

Now if he thinks NY gives him a much better chance to win, that's a different story and I understand his decision, but doing it for the lifestyle reasons seems shortsighted to me.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
He's spending 6 months tops there, and really he's not going to be enjoying himself much during the playoffs so it's closer to 4 months.
Even less than that - since they're going to be "on the road" for around half that time. How much time exactly would one have to "enjoy the sights"?

Old
12-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Even less than that - since they're going to be "on the road" for around half that time. How much time exactly would one have to "enjoy the sights"?

I assumed the "top restaurants/nice sights" aspect was primarily coming from his gf/fiance. Mats will be playing with his friends in the backyard for 4 months, she wants something to do. To her Vancouver might not be nearly a sexy choice as NY would be to live.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
I assumed the "top restaurants/nice sights" aspect was primarily coming from his gf/fiance. Mats will be playing with his friends in the backyard for 4 months, she wants something to do. To her Vancouver might not be nearly a sexy choice as NY would be to live.
Our owner is rich. Let his girlfriend/fiance have the personal use of a jet for 4-6 months. Let her bring along whoever she wants.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
I don't disagree with you all, but the circumstantial evidence that he prefers NYC to Van is simply too great to ignore:

1) He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.

2) He visited NYC and stayed there for days.

3) He may be in NYC now.

4) His ex-agent is NYR management

5) He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.

Really then, there is no doubt that NYR gave him some indication as to what they would try to pay him by now. I seriously doubt that their meetings all weekend never bridged the subject. Assuming that this did occur - the suggested price must have been enticing to Mats - given that:

He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
ziploc

Quote:
I don't disagree with you all, but the circumstantial evidence that he prefers NYC to Van is simply too great to ignore:

1) He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.

3) He may be in NYC now.

5) He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.

Really then, there is no doubt that NYR gave him some indication as to what they would try to pay him by now. I seriously doubt that their meetings all weekend never bridged the subject. Assuming that this did occur - the suggested price must have been enticing to Mats - given that:

He has not signed in Van despite an offer that is heads and shoulders above anyone else.
So...you're saying you think he will sign in Vancouver?

Old
12-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Rover*

Quote:
We need to get her and luongo's wife to become bff.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Wasn't he there (NY) for some "Pokerstars" promotion? Or was that Toronto?

Old
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
We need to get her and luongo's wife to become bff.

Sundin's Girl: So Gina, what do you think of Vancouver?

Gina: Oh it's nice. But I'm in Florida at the moment.

Sundin's Girl: Oh. Want to meet up in New York?

Gina: Sure!

*cue Price is Right music*

Old
12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Yea

Quote:
Sundin's Girl: So Gina, what do you think of Vancouver?

Gina: Oh it's nice. But I'm in Florida at the moment.

Sundin's Girl: Oh. Want to meet up in New York?

Gina: Sure!

*cue Price is Right music*
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

Old
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
That was TO, I believe.
He was also here for a charity hockey game.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:52 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
That was TO, I believe.
He was also here for a charity hockey game.
New York was a Pokerstars thing too. The winner of a contest got to watch their game on Saturday with Sundin.

Old
12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
macinr606

Quote:

3) He may be in NYC now.

The Vancouver deal represents leverage only. And for all those people talking about the Rangers dumping 4 guys, that makes no sense. Sundin would obviously want the team to stay strong.

People just keep comparing direct salaries, but they should also consider the extra coin Mats could get from sponsorships from being in the New York market (especially if they put a good run together and got some hype).

Old
12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
12-16-2008, 01:58 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
New York was a Pokerstars thing too. The winner of a contest got to watch their game on Saturday with Sundin.
Ah thanks. I hope that guy who won just happened to be a Canucks fan .

Old
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr606 View Post
The Vancouver deal represents leverage only. And for all those people talking about the Rangers dumping 4 guys, that makes no sense. Sundin would obviously want the team to stay strong.

People just keep comparing direct salaries, but they should also consider the extra coin Mats could get from sponsorships from being in the New York market (especially if they put a good run together and got some hype).

You'll need to explain why he hasn't already signed with NYR if this were the case.

Please keep in mind that most people here believe that NYR is his first choice, and that he'd sign for less than market value there.

Old
12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr606 View Post

But if Sundin signs with the Canucks, think of the possibilities of a Luongo/Sundin marketing tandem. Think of all the commercials that exploit the abundance of hair on Luongo and the lack of it on Sundin.

Or how they both play poker.

For the record, I'd buy anything that featured a commercial where Sundin wears a wig made of Luongo's chopped locks.

Closed Thread