HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean Tremblay on Benoit Brunet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
  #76
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
IMO, Tremblay is bang on with his comments. Brunet needs some assistance in becoming a better spoken-word communicator.
Just wondering....how does Tremblay know Brunet is not getting any? I heard of couple of guys that were on RDS at one time, and are not anymore, that are saying that they are indeed on their tail and helping them as much as they can.

So does Brunet needs to do better? Of course he does. But the point is does RDS and Brunet needs to receive lessons of professionnalism by Tremblay who decides to have a coach's head just because he can't have private interviews? Should we take the word of a guy who does his best day after day to bash the Habs org. just because they can't talk to coaches and staff like they used to? Or 'cause they don't use the same plane anymore?

That's my biggest beef as far as Tremblay is concerned....like him loving to do french lessons in his column when he has time to read himself carefully and when probably they have a correction team not far behind.....Strangely, when he talks on radio and on TV, he makes more mistakes then.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
  #77
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just wondering....how does Tremblay know Brunet is not getting any? I heard of couple of guys that were on RDS at one time, and are not anymore, that are saying that they are indeed on their tail and helping them as much as they can.

So does Brunet needs to do better? Of course he does. But the point is does RDS and Brunet needs to receive lessons of professionnalism by Tremblay who decides to have a coach's head just because he can't have private interviews? Should we take the word of a guy who does his best day after day to bash the Habs org. just because they can't talk to coaches and staff like they used to? Or 'cause they don't use the same plane anymore?

That's my biggest beef as far as Tremblay is concerned....like him loving to do french lessons in his column when he has time to read himself carefully and when probably they have a correction team not far behind.....Strangely, when he talks on radio and on TV, he makes more mistakes then.....
"Oussque c'est que c'est que l'joueur s'en va" is a pretty clear indicator that Brunet needs help. As for Tremblay, I'm far from being in his fan club, and I agree, he should heed his own advice and be a bit more "professional" when speaking. But the fact remains that he is right in this case (again, IMHO). In a way, a lot of people a judging Tremblay in this thread - we should be discussing what he wrote, not what he is.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
  #78
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Pretty verbose reply for someone who claims to be anti-elitist. Anyway, contrary to what you wrote, though, form is of great importance in communications and, wether he and his bosses understand it or not, Brunet is now in the field of communications. Brunet now makes his living by talking, and to say that the way he speaks is "only" a matter of form is just plain wrong. IMO, Tremblay is bang on with his comments. Brunet needs some assistance in becoming a better spoken-word communicator.
I never claimed I was anti-elitist sir. I just dislike hollow elitists.

Brunet could use some communication coaching, sure. What I dislike is people bringing him down because he talks like a hockey player. I'm much more concerned about the energy he brings to broadcasts, which, IMHO, is much more positive and upbeat than what we have been used to on RDS. Much better candidates than Brunet can be found, no doubt...but the mere fact that a hockey analyst speaks like a hockey player doesn't really offend my senses. In the end, for me, it's about how enjoyable watching the game is and syntax has little to do with that. It's much more about energy/attitude.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
  #79
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
"Oussque c'est que c'est que l'joueur s'en va" is a pretty clear indicator that Brunet needs help. As for Tremblay, I'm far from being in his fan club, and I agree, he should heed his own advice and be a bit more "professional" when speaking. But the fact remains that he is right in this case (again, IMHO). In a way, a lot of people a judging Tremblay in this thread - we should be discussing what he wrote, not what he is.
And I thought that was the right expression....

Again, I do agree that he does need help and all the indications seem that he is getting some. Now....is he a slow learner? Will he ever learn? We'll see. The guy could leave when he'll find out that it's not his place. I actually was one of the few that said, when everybody was asking for Pedneault's head, that we would regret it....Again, people wanting somebody to leave without knowing who's coming...So if Tremblay's opinion is that in general it's unacceptable to have people talking like that and that a TV station should give all the help they can to see their guys improving? He's right, I said it already.

Still....while I said that it "seems" that they are doing just that, what can we expect from RDS as well....Before they could think of helping Brunet, they should start in helping themselves....They should start by not having a guy like Therrien talking about drafts, again probably the worst display of journalism/commentator/analyst I've seen in a long time. That was WAY MORE acceptable than what Brunet is doing.

Thing is....did you hear anybody talking about that? Did you hear Tremblay saying anything about that? Whenever a journalist bashes the Habs for no reasons....do you see any journalists doing a column and writing about it? You say, let's talk about what he writes but not who is....fine.....just a small problem for me......what he writes tells us what he is. You hear him talk, you read his articles, and you just clearly know what type of person he is. Tough to separate both the message and the messenger.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
  #80
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I never claimed I was anti-elitist sir. I just dislike hollow elitists.

Brunet could use some communication coaching, sure. What I dislike is people bringing him down because he talks like a hockey player. I'm much more concerned about the energy he brings to broadcasts, which, IMHO, is much more positive and upbeat than what we have been used to on RDS. Much better candidates than Brunet can be found, no doubt...but the mere fact that a hockey analyst speaks like a hockey player doesn't really offend my senses. In the end, for me, it's about how enjoyable watching the game is and syntax has little to do with that. It's much more about energy/attitude.
Fair enough, although you kinda lost me with the "I'm not anti-elitist, but I dislike elitists". I rarely listen to commentary during games, but Brunet's "de youssque"'s really grate on my nerves.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
  #81
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Fair enough, although you kinda lost me with the "I'm not anti-elitist, but I dislike elitists". I rarely listen to commentary during games, but Brunet's "de youssque"'s really grate on my nerves.
Hollow was the key word. Don't think yoruself superior if you can't back it up...and Tremblay doesn't have the ability to back up much of the crap he spews. To me, he mostly seems to speak from prejudice than from reason.

There we go, making this about Tremblay again!

I'm not gonna argue with you Bill, your shovel looks at me funny when I do.


Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
  #82
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Hollow was the key word. Don't think yoruself superior if you can't back it up...and Tremblay doesn't have the ability to back up much of the crap he spews. To me, he mostly seems to speak from prejudice than from reason.

There we go, making this about Tremblay again!

I'm not gonna argue with you Bill, your shovel looks at me funny when I do.

Elitists are hollow by definition, dog-breath. BTW, there you go, making this about Tremblay again, who I doubt is prejudiced about Benoit Brunet. And my shovel isn't looking at you, that's my reflection you see in its highly polished surface. Highly polished, freshly sharpened and raring to dig, I might add.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
  #83
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Elitists are hollow by definition, dog-breath. BTW, there you go, making this about Tremblay again, who I doubt is prejudiced about Benoit Brunet. And my shovel isn't looking at you, that's my reflection you see in its highly polished surface. Highly polished, freshly sharpened and raring to dig, I might add.
You can be elitist without being hollow. Look at hf4 and, to some degree, the banana.

I don't think he is prejudiced about Brunet, he is prejudiced about la langue française. It blinded him to the fact that Brunet may be giving sports fans a refreshing take, outside of the disconnected old boys RDS network. the way he speaks isn't end all, be all.

What beats shovel?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
  #84
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
You can be elitist without being hollow. Look at hf4 and, to some degree, the banana.

I don't think he is prejudiced about Brunet, he is prejudiced about la langue française. It blinded him to the fact that Brunet may be giving sports fans a refreshing take, outside of the disconnected old boys RDS network. the way he speaks isn't end all, be all.

What beats shovel?
Ok, now we're going to have a real internet argument. Elitists are hollow. All of 'em. Their perceived superiority translates a lack of inner strength and ressources. So nothing inside = hollow. QED. CQFD. I am right, you are wrong. That's it, that's all.

As for Brunet's "refreshing take", I can get that level of language from anyone (except, probably, my mother). Refreshing, for me, would be correct usage of the language, with real hockey insight.

And where I come from, you don't beat shovel, shovel beats you.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
  #85
Batarnac
Registered User
 
Batarnac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 1285
I don't really mind Ben Brun, he do repeat himself a lot game after game and sometimes I get frustrated to hear him say some things but it was the same with Pednault, and it would certainly be the same with another guy. I think he could more prepared for the game and that he should try to expand his vocabulary. I remember that clip where he's laughing at Jacques Demers who has a hard time saying téléspectateurs, but Brunet often fumble and babbles while speaking. And sometimes he starts a sentence and never finishes it, which leads to Pierre going back to describe the play as if Benoît never said anything. What I appreciate from him is some little things he sees sometimes that I haven't noticed, he knows the game and this shows when he gives some pertinent input on the play. Of course, his love for fourth line players and grinders can be a little annoying but he is always praising a player for a good effort, and criticizing them to when they deserve it.

And those saying he is a rookie are wrong, he was doing the color-commentary for the Sens games last year. I don't know how many he did exactly, but combined with the 30 games of this season, he's now passed the rookie level.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
  #86
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
re- post:

1- consider the source
2- professional sports announcing as the language education...


Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
  #87
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Ok, now we're going to have a real internet argument. Elitists are hollow. All of 'em. Their perceived superiority translates a lack of inner strength and ressources. So nothing inside = hollow. QED. CQFD. I am right, you are wrong. That's it, that's all.

As for Brunet's "refreshing take", I can get that level of language from anyone (except, probably, my mother). Refreshing, for me, would be correct usage of the language, with real hockey insight.

And where I come from, you don't beat shovel, shovel beats you.
Oh, it's on now Bill!

You can have self-confidence compensating ticks without being hollow. It's all a question of degree, like everything in life.

It refreshes me that hockey analysts are not old stuck up negative dinosaurs.

Shovels don't beat people, Bill, people beat people. With shovels.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
  #88
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
"Oussque c'est que c'est que l'joueur s'en va" is a pretty clear indicator that Brunet needs help. As for Tremblay, I'm far from being in his fan club, and I agree, he should heed his own advice and be a bit more "professional" when speaking. But the fact remains that he is right in this case (again, IMHO). In a way, a lot of people a judging Tremblay in this thread - we should be discussing what he wrote, not what he is.
PJ Stock was brutal when he first started on Team 990. Some will say he still is brutal but he is what he is and you either listen or you don't.

My point is that he started with his show and they recognized that he needed help because he popped his "p" 's like he was making popcorn. It actaully made the speakers pop when he did that. So they sent him to Robert Viero's radio school to teach him how to pronounce and speak into a microphone effectively. It must have worked the CBC wants him and are working with him to make him better.

My question is how come nobody ever wrote a piece about how bad Stock was? Team 990 helped him get better and he is a hit regardless of whether you agree with him or not. Nobody on the Gazette wrote that they had a beef with him being a Bruin fan and anti Habs or that he didn't speak the only language he knows properly or that he tortured microphones into retirement.

It seems to me that any shot to a colleague's character Tremblay can take he does. Some constructive critizism and a solution would have been a much better article than the rundown of Brunet's ability to communicate and all the bull about Brunet's bias concerning the Habs. So what if he isn't objective? He's not paid to be. I like the change from Pedneault who always had to find some Hab to blame for a goal against instead of crediting the other team with the play.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
  #89
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,956
vCash: 500
Awards:
Tremblay with an article on how to be professional? Hoo ha!

I don't care much for Brunet either but it's a lot easier to sit down in your den with a cup of coffee and a recliner and a laptop with a built in thesaurus and spellcheck and sound "professional" than to call a live hockey game on the fly and not make any mistakes, especially when you have as little experience as Brunet does.

I hate it when Brunet uses "nous" and "eux" when talking about the players. I hate it when he whines about the refs giving the Canadiens a penalty, or when he does that stupid laugh, or when he calls Brisebois "Pat", Koivu "Saku", Latendresse "Gui", etc...but I'm willing to cut him some slack too (or at least complain about him on a message board where no one gives a ****). Devoting an article to how bad of a job one of your colleagues is doing just screams sour grapes to me.

But then, this is Montreal. Some journalists pick on the players, some pick on the fans, some pick on the front office/staff, and I guess some pick on the other journalists.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
  #90
LastChancePrice
Registered User
 
LastChancePrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Ok enough is enough

When is Brunet replaced as a commentator at RDS?

Any rumor flying around?

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
  #91
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
When is Brunet replaced as a commentator at RDS?

Any rumor flying around?
let's start one

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
  #92
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Brunet is such a stupid moron.

3-2 Canes, 20 seconds left, goalie pulled, Habs with the puck preparing an attack and Mr. Brunet said Habs has no chance to come back in the game, 8 seconds later, Kovalev and Latendresse has two big scoring chances.

You said it right, enough is enough. I cannot stand this guy.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
  #93
Thinkbig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Brunet is such a stupid moron.

3-2 Canes, 20 seconds left, goalie pulled, Habs with the puck preparing an attack and Mr. Brunet said Habs has no chance to come back in the game, 8 seconds later, Kovalev and Latendresse has two big scoring chances.

You said it right, enough is enough. I cannot stand this guy.
Good point. Also, he gives too much personal comments.

For example, once he told : I like Halak, but I don't like the fact that he gives a lot of rebounds.

Seriously, do we care if you like or not Halak? He thinks that if he likes or dislikes someone, everybody should think the same thing he does. He should stick at only analyzing the game with his frwanch

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:35 PM
  #94
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Good point. Also, he gives too much personal comments.

For example, once he told : I like Halak, but I don't like the fact that he gives a lot of rebounds.

Seriously, do we care if you like or not Halak? He thinks that if he likes or dislikes someone, everybody should think the same thing he does. He should stick at only analyzing the game with his frwanch
That's his job, he's a hockey analyst. He comments on what is going on in the game, by giving his opinion. As a fan you can either agree, or disagree.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:41 PM
  #95
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Good point. Also, he gives too much personal comments.

For example, once he told : I like Halak, but I don't like the fact that he gives a lot of rebounds.

Seriously, do we care if you like or not Halak? He thinks that if he likes or dislikes someone, everybody should think the same thing he does. He should stick at only analyzing the game with his frwanch
That's what bothers me about guys like him and the Montreal Sports Press, it always ends up being an opinion piece. Look we don't want you're freakin feelings bud, just be an objective broacaster! It's like these guys cannot be objective.

Even when Pednault was there it was "rag on the Habs when they're bad, praise them like Gods when they're good". Again tonight instead of just saying "it's unfortunate" and leave it at that, Brunet had to put his views in there like "all the Habs penalties were deserved tonight!". As if he was afraid that people would call him homer if he would say otherwise. But both things are innapropriate! As a broacaster he shouldn't have to say "the refs are killings the Habs" or "The refs are doing a good job! The Habs are undisciplined!". Let the viewers decided by themselves.

And Demers and Bouchard and the anti-Chambre guys were pretty bad also. RDS at this point are clueless as to what it is running a sport network and hiring the best, most knowledgable objective men outhere.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
  #96
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's his job, he's a hockey analyst. He comments on what is going on in the game, by giving his opinion. As a fan you can either agree, or disagree.
Being a good analyst shouldn't be an opinion column saying with what you like and don't like(oh I don't like what Halak is doing!). You should report what you see and give hockey fans insight about things we don't see. Danny Dubé does it all the time. Heck Maguire on TSN even better. Like "i'm sensing the Habs are stressed". Or "see this play happened because that player did this". Brunet never does that. He criticises or say "it was a good period". But never go deep in what he sees. And the rest of the time it's whining and opinion, opinion. As such he's worse than Pedneault.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
  #97
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Being a good analyst shouldn't be an opinion column saying with what you like and don't like(oh I don't like what Halak is doing!). You should report what you see and give hockey fans insight about things we don't see. Danny Dubé does it all the time. Heck Maguire on TSN even better. Like "i'm sensing the Habs are stressed". Or "see this play happened because that player did this". Brunet never does that. He criticises or say "it was a good period". But never go deep in what he sees. And the rest of the time it's whining and opinion, opinion. As such he's worse than Pedneault.
Fair enough Kimota, I see where you and Thinkbig are coming from now.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:16 PM
  #98
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Being a good analyst shouldn't be an opinion column saying with what you like and don't like(oh I don't like what Halak is doing!). You should report what you see and give hockey fans insight about things we don't see. Danny Dubé does it all the time. Heck Maguire on TSN even better. Like "i'm sensing the Habs are stressed". Or "see this play happened because that player did this". Brunet never does that. He criticises or say "it was a good period". But never go deep in what he sees. And the rest of the time it's whining and opinion, opinion. As such he's worse than Pedneault.
Very good points Kimota. I was just so sick of the old boys club that I welcome Brunet with open arms. Can't really say he's very deep in his analysis though.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:46 PM
  #99
suprez
Registered User
 
suprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
RDS should be renamed RDC (reseau des canadiens) .

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.