HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ersberg injured; Quick Recalled [Merged]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
  #26
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Right and so far he's proven that he's an NHL back-up at best...
That's why I said relatively.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
  #27
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,447
vCash: 50
LaBarbera will play well against his former team. The Rangers will be coming off a back to back, and we should put it to them. After that, who knows. We're going to lose the next two anyway, so it doesn't matter all that much who's in net. We aren't scoring enough.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
  #28
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
LaBarbera will play well against his former team. The Rangers will be coming off a back to back, and we should put it to them. After that, who knows. We're going to lose the next two anyway, so it doesn't matter all that much who's in net. We aren't scoring enough.
the Sabres are a guaranteed loss? wow the Kings suck...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
  #29
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,447
vCash: 50
The second of a back to back on the road should always be marked as a loss, unless you don't have to fly over to the next city. Then, who knows.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
  #30
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
With the way our D shutdown the best offense in the league last night, Labarbera just has to be NOT terrible for us to eek out a win against the Rangers.

I see Labarbera starting against the Rags and Wings, and Quick starting against the Sabres. That's how I'd do it if I were Murray.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
  #31
LA Kings Cup Champs
Registered User
 
LA Kings Cup Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KINGS of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
With the way our D shutdown the best offense in the league last night, Labarbera just has to be NOT terrible for us to eek out a win against the Rangers.

I see Quick starting against the Rags and Wings, and Pillows starting against the Sabres. That's how I'd do it if I were Murray.
Fixed it for you

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
  #32
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Right and so far he's proven that he's an NHL back-up at best...
Usually I agree with your posts KB....but right now Ersberg is 11th in the NHL in GAA (right behind Carey Price) and 28th in save % (right behind Nabokov). Considering there are 30 teams wouldn't being a "back-up at best" put him in the 31-60 spot in both of those categories?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:41 PM
  #33
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
No one thought Ersberg was NHL ready either, but he's played relatively well for us.
Relatively well for the Kings is...ahem, a relative term. The team has iced such a poor selection of goalies for so long that any burning ember, however slight, looks like a roaring fire. Spend some beer money to watch a few Monarchs games and try to take a good, objective look at what you're getting in net out of Manchester. It's very lackluster.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
  #34
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Every freaking year man....

2 years ago Garon breaks a finger after he is on a roll...

Last year LaBarbera gets popped by Smyth when he was playing well...

Now Ersberg....the timing of all these injuries are always end of november or early december injuries....they have all precipitated a sharp decline in the standings.


I say let LaBarbera play the games...and Quick does the shoot-outs...

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
  #35
lak4ever
Registered User
 
lak4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Girl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelo View Post
Every freaking year man....

2 years ago Garon breaks a finger after he is on a roll...

Last year LaBarbera gets popped by Smyth when he was playing well...

Now Ersberg....the timing of all these injuries are always end of november or early december injuries....they have all precipitated a sharp decline in the standings.


I say let LaBarbera play the games...and Greene does the shoot-outs...
ftfy

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
  #36
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Usually I agree with your posts KB....but right now Ersberg is 11th in the NHL in GAA (right behind Carey Price) and 28th in save % (right behind Nabokov). Considering there are 30 teams wouldn't being a "back-up at best" put him in the 31-60 spot in both of those categories?
All good but the same logic makes Brent Johnson, Brian Boucher, and Clemmensen look like all-stars... I'm not saying anything against Ersberg, I kind of like him (even though I prefer Labs - yeah I know, shoot me), but your argument doesn't have much weight!

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
  #37
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The second of a back to back on the road should always be marked as a loss, unless you don't have to fly over to the next city. Then, who knows.
that's a little defeatist...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:39 PM
  #38
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
All good but the same logic makes Brent Johnson, Brian Boucher, and Clemmensen look like all-stars... I'm not saying anything against Ersberg, I kind of like him (even though I prefer Labs - yeah I know, shoot me), but your argument doesn't have much weight!
How is that?

The goalie has one job....to keep pucks from going in the net. If your goaltender is the 11th best at doing that then how can you claim that he is not good enough to be a #1 goalie?

On a team with better offensive numbers Ersberg would be in the top 10 in terms of a win/loss record as well. That is not what I would call a "back-up at best" goalie.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
  #39
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
How is that?

The goalie has one job....to keep pucks from going in the net. If your goaltender is the 11th best at doing that then how can you claim that he is not good enough to be a #1 goalie?

On a team with better offensive numbers Ersberg would be in the top 10 in terms of a win/loss record as well. That is not what I would call a "back-up at best" goalie.
All I'm saying is that your argument relies only on stats and thus doesn't work. Unless you're ready to call Brent Johnson a better #1 goalie than Marty Turco*, you can't really go that way.

I'm not saying Ersberg can't be a #1, only that you can't prove it the way you did. I'm still willing to say Brent Johnson is not good enough to be a #1, even though his stats right now "prove" otherwise.


*I've always hated Turco and I'm only using him for the sake of argument.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
  #40
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Usually I agree with your posts KB....but right now Ersberg is 11th in the NHL in GAA (right behind Carey Price) and 28th in save % (right behind Nabokov).
Using your criteria, Ty Conklin is an NHL #1 goalie.

I'm a UNH Alum...
I'm a HUGE UNH Hockey Fan...
I was still working at UNH when Conklin played there...
I'm a HUGE Ty Conklin Fan...
Ty Conklin is a very capable NHL back-up goaltender...

Using your criteria, Jason LaBarbera is an NHL #1 Goalie. He's #22 in GAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Considering there are 30 teams wouldn't being a "back-up at best" put him in the 31-60 spot in both of those categories?
Weak sauce argument IMO. Using this thinking, quite a few teams have two #1 NHL goalies and if that's the case, why are they supposedly so hard to come by? Mikka Kiprusoff not a #1?


Last edited by King Blazer: 12-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
  #41
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
All I'm saying is that your argument relies only on stats and thus doesn't work. Unless you're ready to call Brent Johnson a better #1 goalie than Marty Turco*, you can't really go that way.

I'm not saying Ersberg can't be a #1, only that you can't prove it the way you did. I'm still willing to say Brent Johnson is not good enough to be a #1, even though his stats right now "prove" otherwise.


*I've always hated Turco and I'm only using him for the sake of argument.
Well I guess you would be wrong then....because if a goalie gives up less than 2.5 goals/game (thus giving their team ample opportunity to win most of the games they play) then that goalie is a #1 goalie. In the end it is all about winning. I do not care if the goalie is flashy or makes the prettiest saves. If he gives the team a chance to win most of the time he is a #1 goalie.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
  #42
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Using your criteria, Ty Conklin is an NHL #1 goalie.

I'm a UNH Alum...
I'm a HUGE UNH Hockey Fan...
I was still working at UNH when Conklin played there...
I'm a HUGE Ty Conklin Fan...
Ty Conklin is a very capable NHL back-up goaltender...

Using your criteria, Jason LaBarbera is an NHL #1 Goalie. He's #22 in GAA!!!
Well then by your argument there are less than 30 #1 goalies in the league. So how many #1 goalies are there? 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Weak sauce argument IMO. Using this thinking, quite a few teams have two #1 NHL goalies and if that's the case, why are they supposedly so hard to come by?
I believe that some teams probably have more than one goalie who is capable of being a #1 goalie. Remember when the Sharks had Nabokov and Kiprusoff? or when the Canadiens had Price and Huet?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
  #43
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Well then by your argument there are less than 30 #1 goalies in the league. So how many #1 goalies are there? 10?
Maybe ten, maybe more, maybe less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I believe that some teams probably have more than one goalie who is capable of being a #1 goalie. Remember when the Sharks had Nabokov and Kiprusoff? or when the Canadiens had Price and Huet?
The guy has played in 32 NHL games in his career. If you believe he is a NHL #1 goalie I'm certainly not going to change that...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:35 PM
  #44
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Maybe ten, maybe more, maybe less...
Well then your definition of a NHL #1 goalie should mean a star NHL goalie because #1 should just indicate that the player is capable of being the top goalie on a NHL team. If there are less than thirty guys capable of being #1 goalies then the league really needs to contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
The guy has played in 32 NHL games in his career. If you believe he is a NHL #1 goalie I'm certainly not going to change that...
I am not saying that Ersberg would be a #1 goalie on every team in the league. But to say he is a "back-up at best" insinuates that all of the other so called #1 goalies in the NHL would perform better than Ersberg has.....which is not the case. And I do not care if he has played in 32 games or 300. If he gives his team a better chance of winning the game than a vast majority of the other #1 goalies in the league then that says he is better than just a back-up.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
  #45
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Well I guess you would be wrong then....because if a goalie gives up less than 2.5 goals/game (thus giving their team ample opportunity to win most of the games they play) then that goalie is a #1 goalie. In the end it is all about winning. I do not care if the goalie is flashy or makes the prettiest saves. If he gives the team a chance to win most of the time he is a #1 goalie.
So if you were a GM and shoping for a #1, you'd consider trading for Clemmensen right now? It's not a matter of being flashy, it's a matter of consistency and focus, of experience (the guy never played more than 13 games in a year), of durability, etc. Same thing applies to Johnson. And possibly to Ersberg - I don't think he's shown enough to be considered a #1 in this league yet. I'm not saying he couldn't be though.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:50 PM
  #46
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
So if you were a GM and shoping for a #1, you'd consider trading for Clemmensen right now? It's not a matter of being flashy, it's a matter of consistency and focus, of experience (the guy never played more than 13 games in a year), of durability, etc. Same thing applies to Johnson. And possibly to Ersberg - I don't think he's shown enough to be considered a #1 in this league yet. I'm not saying he couldn't be though.
Obviously we all have our opinions and it appears nobody is being convinced to change theirs.....But consider this.....If Ersberg was put on waivers would he clear? If not, would he be the #1 goalie on the team that selected him? What ever your answer is will probably indicate if Ersberg is a valid #1 goalie or not.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
  #47
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 500
If a team were looking for a number one goaltender, and DL offered up Ersberg, he would be laughed at.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
  #48
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
The Kings are 10th in the league for goals against average. That's the bottom line. Only 9 teams have better goaltending than we do. 20 are worse.

This team's #1 issue to solve has been scoring, and they've shown signs of late addressing that. Their record over the last 20 games is quite good, and, so far, has shown no signs of slowing down. If anything, things are looking up. Goals scored per game has crept up from 24th in the league to 20th.

The Kings do NOT have goaltending issues. They may now that Ersberg is injured, but let's wait to see what happens over the next 10 games before we start worrying about that. The Kings D is so solid this year that average goaltending should continue to carry the team right along just fine. It's the scoring that needs to increase. 2.5 goals per game won't cut it. They need to get closer to 3.5.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:10 PM
  #49
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings are 10th in the league for goals against average.
yet they are #1 is limiting the total shots against per game. Goaltening issues back on!!!

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
  #50
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Obviously we all have our opinions and it appears nobody is being convinced to change theirs.....But consider this.....If Ersberg was put on waivers would he clear? If not, would he be the #1 goalie on the team that selected him? What ever your answer is will probably indicate if Ersberg is a valid #1 goalie or not.
A #1 in the NHL has a proven track record of starting a bulk of the games over a few seasons (at least) and has performed well a majority of the time. Guys that I would consider #1's: Kipper, Luongo, Lundqvist, Turco and Nabokov off the top of my head.

Whether or not he is given the most playing time or is considered the #1 goalie for that team doesn't make him a #1 goalie in the NHL. If Ersberg is claimed by a team decimated with injuries and gets starts because he is that teams best option that doesn't make him a #1. He's their best option.

I know Jim Fox was talking about this subject during the Wild game. He was commenting about how there are only a handful of true #1 goalies in the NHL right now and it is common to go with a tandem now which I think is true.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.