HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

For PSU fans, JoPa gets 3 yr extension

Old
12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
For PSU fans, JoPa gets 3 yr extension

I just saw this but don't have a link yet but in case any of the rest of you are PSU fans it is official, JoPa got a 3-year contract extension today. So much for the current U pres and AD not being Paterno fans, wanting him gone, and NOT going to offer him an extension. Like it or not, Jo Paterno is the most powerful man in State College. If he wanted the University President would be fired if Joe demanded it. He IS the reason for all the alum money that comes into the University and that alone lets him write whatever script he wants at that school. If JoPa would have been disrespected by the U pres or AD then there would have been hell to pay with the Alum.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:30 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I just saw this but don't have a link yet but in case any of the rest of you are PSU fans it is official, JoPa got a 3-year contract extension today. So much for the current U pres and AD not being Paterno fans, wanting him gone, and NOT going to offer him an extension. Like it or not, Jo Paterno is the most powerful man in State College. If he wanted the University President would be fired if Joe demanded it. He IS the reason for all the alum money that comes into the University and that alone lets him write whatever script he wants at that school. If JoPa would have been disrespected by the U pres or AD then there would have been hell to pay with the Alum.
Not happy about this. My family gives money to the program and we're displeased by Spanier caving in. It was Tom Bradley's turn, but Joe really wants to hand the program to his idiot kid, Jay "Fredo" Paterno. He keeps refusing to name a successor because he knows once he's gone his kid will be canned. I could go on and on but I'll stop, I'll just get angry.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Not happy about this. My family gives money to the program and we're displeased by Spanier caving in. It was Tom Bradley's turn, but Joe really wants to hand the program to his idiot kid, Jay "Fredo" Paterno. He keeps refusing to name a successor because he knows once he's gone his kid will be canned. I could go on and on but I'll stop, I'll just get angry.
Fredo, hahaha, nice.

Not a PSU fan but a bunch of my friends go there and the reactions are mixed. Personally, I agree, I think its time for him to step down.

On the subject of changing coaches, all I want for Christmas is for my Sun Devils to get rid of Rich Olson

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:14 PM
flyersguy33*

Also, Pat Devlin transferred the other day. Probably going to follow Flaco's path and go D 1-AA

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:40 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

being an alum and a booster,whats more deserving then bradley being heir to linebacker U, is joe leaving on his terms.

the AD chooses who will succeed him. we all know that decision will be made 3 days after joe's funeral. to think that joe is holding out for his own son is ludricrous. bradley was the one at the helm on the sidelines when he was in the booth. not his son. if nepotism succeeds anywhere in happy valley, its his ability to use the paterno name in getting free food from hi-way pizza

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
being an alum and a booster,whats more deserving then bradley being heir to linebacker U, is joe leaving on his terms.

the AD chooses who will succeed him. we all know that decision will be made 3 days after joe's funeral. to think that joe is holding out for his own son is ludricrous. bradley was the one at the helm on the sidelines when he was in the booth. not his son. if nepotism succeeds anywhere in happy valley, its his ability to use the paterno name in getting free food from hi-way pizza
He's been saving his son's ass ever since he stepped foot on the campus. He gave him a spot on the team that he didn't deserve. Then he let him be the Tightend coach, he ****ed that up, after that Joe made Jay the recruiting coordinator, he universally ****ed that up, then he made him the qb coach and until Clark came in he was ****ing that up too.

Why should go out on his terms? Did you enjoy 2000-2007 when we were medicore most of the time? I sure as **** didn't and I don't wanna keep ponying up money for it again especially in this economic climate.

If we were as great as we were 80s and 90s I wouldn't care, but we haven't been and most schools would have canned his ass after 2000-2005 mediocrity.

Just my opinion...

Old
12-16-2008, 11:21 PM
i am dave

I too am an alum and a Nittany Lion Club member, and this move makes me happy. I question the calls for Joe to "name a successor," as if this is some sort of common occurrence in NCAA football. Ok, so Texas did it this year, but is it really that common? I don't think so.

No one is a fan of Jay Paterno, but there's no indication that the University will simply give him the job. No, this is Tom Bradley's job to "lose," in all likelihood. Unfortunately Toledo decided not to hire Jay a few days ago.

I'd much rather have Joe for 3 more years than the revolving-door of coaches you see at other big-time programs.

Also - regarding Devlin - so long, bro. Maybe he got a raw deal, maybe he didn't. We'll probably never know for sure. He certainly did not light the world on fire in his opportunities this year. But this evening, standout QB recruit Kevin Newsome out of Virginia announced his decision to attend Penn State, having previously committed, and subsequently de-committed to Michigan. SUCKERS!

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
phlocky

Bradley was brought back in to succeed Joe when Joe finally hangs them up or dies and if you thank anyhting else then you're a fool. Bradley wasn't brought here just to train Jay and to get him ready to take over. Bradley was brought here because he IS PSU. He left for a few years and was head coach of FU and he gained valuable experience. As the potential to need to name a successor to JoPa became more imminent they knew they had to get someone on staff who could take over. THAT was why Bradley was brought back in.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I personally want to see Larry Johnson take over, he is a fantastic recruiter. Joe lives on the same street as my parents in State College, just a split level house for him.

Old
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Bradley was brought back in to succeed Joe when Joe finally hangs them up or dies and if you thank anyhting else then you're a fool. Bradley wasn't brought here just to train Jay and to get him ready to take over. Bradley was brought here because he IS PSU. He left for a few years and was head coach of FU and he gained valuable experience. As the potential to need to name a successor to JoPa became more imminent they knew they had to get someone on staff who could take over. THAT was why Bradley was brought back in.
what year did he leave?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

I hope the senile old coot coaches until he's 90. Devlin will break a lot of records in Delaware or wherever. For all the players that Penn State has put in the NFL and all the top ranked recruiting classes they get - it's amazing how badly they underachieve. He's arrogant, old and in the way.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I hope the senile old coot coaches until he's 90. Devlin will break a lot of records in Delaware or wherever. For all the players that Penn State has put in the NFL and all the top ranked recruiting classes they get - it's amazing how badly they underachieve. He's arrogant, old and in the way.
I've been saying this forever, but he has thousands of blind followers.

Old
12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
mooseOAK*

I suppose that if Jamie Moyer can get a two year deal then Paterno can get three years.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Before you ask this institution of a man to step down, could all of you please flash your credentials, including your almost 400 wins at the D1 level, countless bowl victories, your two national championships, and in the most important Philadelphia "what have you done for me lately" way -- your Rose Bowl pass for January 1st?

Oh......you don't have those?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
It's just a number. Joe's leaving when he wants to.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote