HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Move Chris Higgins??

Old
12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Move Chris Higgins??

I think its time to move Higgins this season. He's a great player and i'm a big fan of his but i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.

He's injury prone, he seems to have mental issues, and he hasnt been the same since he hurt his ankle 2 years ago (despite the fact he scored 27goals last season).

We should try and package him into a deal to get a top4 D-man at the deadline imo. If we wait to long he's going to lose all his value and we will end up trading him down the road for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pic, or just simply lose him to free agency.

Discuss??

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

There's nothing like dealing assets when their value is at an all-time low.

12-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Iwishihadacup

Erika coming in 5...4....3...2...

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Nope. Put him in a better role....a 3rd liner....where he should be.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
There's nothing like dealing assets when their value is at an all-time low.
his value will keep on dropping as the weeks go on. I'm not saying deal him now. I'm saying deal him before the deadline IF the deal is available.

Obviously i'm not suggesting we trade him away for a 3rd or 4th liner. He can be the dealmaker in a package deal.

For example

Higgins + Chipper + 1st round draft pic for say Jay Bo

Old
12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
33Roy33

IMO Higgins could be an elite 3rd liner. I see no reason why he can't pot 25 goals while playing 3rd line, PK, and PP...

I think the biggest problem with Higgins is that people think he is something he is not, a 40 goal scorer. Higgins works hard, plays smart and is one of the best defensive players on our team, combine that with his nose for the net and I think next year Higgins and Chipchura could form 2/3 of the leagues top 3rd line.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
HotPie

I'm not against moving any player...for what is the question.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
...i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.
Does that say more about Higgins, or Canadiens fans/media?

Quote:
...he seems to have mental issues...
Please explain? That's not the kind of thing you want to throw out there without evidence.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Magic33

I wouldn't care either way. If we were to keep him, great. If we were to trade him, i'd have no problem either. I definitely would not be upset if he were traded though. I think he is a guy that can be easily replaced, unlike some others on our team.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
IMO Higgins could be an elite 3rd liner. I see no reason why he can't pot 25 goals while playing 3rd line, PK, and PP...

I think the biggest problem with Higgins is that people think he is something he is not, a 40 goal scorer. Higgins works hard, plays smart and is one of the best defensive players on our team, combine that with his nose for the net and I think next year Higgins and Chipchura could form 2/3 of the leagues top 3rd line.
or that would also be a good solution. One thing for sure is he's definitely not our next 40 goal scorer and top line player. In a 3rd line role with less pressure to produce offensively he would do great imo

Old
12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Please explain? That's not the kind of thing you want to throw out there without evidence.
I guess thats just my personal opinion on him. I don't have any ''real'' evidence to back up my statement other then the fact that he usually chokes when he's in the spotlight. He's rarely been the sole reason why the Habs won a game and he's never produced in the playoffs.

What i mean by mental issues mostly is that i don't think he can handle pressure very well. Especially the kind of pressure media/fans put on team in MTL

Old
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Roulin

Quote:
I guess thats just my personal opinion on him. I don't have any ''real'' evidence to back up my statement other then the fact that he usually chokes when he's in the spotlight. He's rarely been the sole reason why the Habs won a game and he's never produced in the playoffs.

What i mean by mental issues mostly is that i don't think he can handle pressure very well. Especially the kind of pressure media/fans put on team in MTL
137pts in 246 games in the regular season, .56ppg.
9pts in 18 games in the playoff, .50ppg.

Not much of a difference...

Old
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
137pts in 246 games in the regular season, .56ppg.
9pts in 18 games in the playoff, .50ppg.

Not much of a difference...
that proves my point. he doesnt step it up in the playoffs when its important

Old
12-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Turboflex*

Keep him around he plays hard even if he misses a lot at least he makes things happen.

Much higher on the trade block would be: Kovalev, S. Kostitsyn, Plekanics

These 3 are beyond useless, not scoring and heads completely out of game. Plus they are soft and rarely win puck battles.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Roulin

Quote:
So your point is: Chris Higgins seems to have mental issues because he is the same player in big games as he is in regular games?

Old
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
HotPie

Quote:
This whole thing about players not stepping up for the playoffs is a little bit of a misconception.

Most players who are considered "playoff performers" don't step up per se, they just keep scoring and producing at their usual pace...which is still impressive because it's the playoffs.

Which is exactly what Higgins is doing essentially.

Again, I'm not against moving Higgins, but he has to be part of a package for something GOOD, like J-Bo perhaps.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
broccoli

move chris higgins

it's not higgins only you need to move
plecanek also should go, because he
will be useless in the playoffs when it
becomes rougher for every inch of ice space
you need to battle for.

broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Puckhead58*

I wouldn't mind if we traded Higgins for a top 4 defencemen. I think we need another top defencemen more than we need Higgins to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, I like Higgins and think he is a decent player, but he misses a lot of time due to injuries and when he does play, he doesn't always produce. We could use the help on the blueline more than we could use him right now....especially since he is injured yet again. We need healthy bodies who are going to help the team score goals and win games....Higgins doesn't do that on a consistant basis.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:14 PM
HCH

Quote:
So far in his short career, Higgins has averaged about 26 goals per 82 games played. That is a pretty decent number.

In the playoffs you would expect the average scoring to drop because you no longer have the benefit of playing the worst teams in the league. I really don't know what you use to draw your conclusions.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Keep him around he plays hard even if he misses a lot at least he makes things happen.

Much higher on the trade block would be: Kovalev, S. Kostitsyn, Plekanics

These 3 are beyond useless, not scoring and heads completely out of game. Plus they are soft and rarely win puck battles.

Sergei is soft? Kovalev is soft? They may take bad penalties but they aren't soft.

Plekanec has his head out of the game? WTF do you watch? He is second on the team with shots on net and has playing absolutely great on the PK. The goals aren't there but it isn't from lack of effort or because his head is out of the game.

S. Kost is 21 years old and will have his ups and downs. He will continue to learn and adapt. I will admit that Kovy's isn't playing smart hockey but the rest of your comments are bizarre.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I think its time to move Higgins this season. He's a great player and i'm a big fan of his but i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.

He's injury prone, he seems to have mental issues, and he hasnt been the same since he hurt his ankle 2 years ago (despite the fact he scored 27goals last season).

We should try and package him into a deal to get a top4 D-man at the deadline imo. If we wait to long he's going to lose all his value and we will end up trading him down the road for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pic, or just simply lose him to free agency.

Discuss??
Please show us how he is injury prone.

76 games with Hamilton in 04-05, 80 games in 05-06, 82 games last year. Are you going to blame him for falling into the boards and pretty much breaking his ankle in 06-07? He still played 61 games. Are you going to blame him for getting hit awkwardly in the shoulder? Two very different injuries in a span of 5 years is not injury prone.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
it's not higgins only you need to move
plecanek also should go, because he
will be useless in the playoffs when it
becomes rougher for every inch of ice space
you need to battle for.
both those players are losing alot of points for us,the longer we wait the harder it will get for Bob to trade them for a solid player

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Like latendresse Higgins need to redefine his game. He is not a 1st liner and a very average to poor 2nd liner but as a shutdown 3rd line forward he would be perfect.

Actually his poor form might be a blessing in when renegociating his contract and the management could make him accept to change his role to a defensive forward.

I would envision him to play with Chipchura (most definately next year) and form a convetional and very good 3rd line. (to the great pleassure of Erika )

Seriously those lines are IMO better and more suited for the style and expectation for each players(Higgins with a defensive role & Latendresse as a 4th liner). In those roles both Gui and Chris would not have the obligation to score and have a clear mandate to the sucess of our team.

Andrei - Koivu - D'agostini
UFA/Pacioretty/Sergei - Plekanec - UFA/Pacioretty/Sergei
Higgins - Chipchura - Kostopoulos
Begin/Stewart/Laraque - Lapierre - Latendresse

UFA possibilities = Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat, Tanguay, Sedins... kovalev , NO!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
snakeye

As I've said in the past, Higgins can become a first/second liner, and if he's not good enough for that, he'll still make a damn good 3rd liner.

Damn good third liner = depth.

Higgins is staying.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Sergei is soft? Kovalev is soft? They may take bad penalties but they aren't soft.
All soft on the boards, rarely win puck battles. Stripped pretty easily too. Added bonus that they take a lot of stick infractions when they lose their battles. No board skills and racking up penalties while they fail, a winning combo.

Quote:
Plekanec has his head out of the game? WTF do you watch? He is second on the team with shots on net and has playing absolutely great on the PK. The goals aren't there but it isn't from lack of effort or because his head is out of the game.
He's good on the PK but so what lots of players can PK, they don't have to be a scoring centre. I see little in the way of creative playmaking from him or execution. He takes a lot of shots?? Oh wow! Too bad his wrist shot sucks and most of them are non threatening, just what the team needs a guy with Jason Blake syndrome.

Quote:
S. Kost is 21 years old and will have his ups and downs. He will continue to learn and adapt. I will admit that Kovy's isn't playing smart hockey but the rest of your comments are bizarre.
Sergei just does not have much talent. He can play rough at least which can get him a spot as a 3rd/4th liner but he'll never be more than that kind of a plug since he doesn't have much hockey IQ either. Now would be a good time to trade him while he is young and still has prospect value, before the book on him is out.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote