HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Move Chris Higgins??

Old
12-17-2008, 12:36 PM
speed11

vCash: 500
silly me thinking it would be another 5 weeks till we saw another "move higgins" thread...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Turboflex*

Try and take your habs goggles off for a minute and tell me what's so phenominal about him?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:46 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Try and take your habs goggles off for a minute and tell me what's so phenominal about him?
No seriously, you're joking, right?

The guy tears it up in the OHL, produces a point per game in Hamilton in 22 games, before being called up to the habs, where he does pretty well as a rookie. He did well in the playoffs last season with 3 goals and 5 assists in 12 games, and is now struggling, LIKE THE REST OF THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN TEAM!!!

Which makes him a third liner

Whatever happened to the flashes of Forsberg? Oh, guess that was another Sergei Kostitsyn...

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
HCH

Quote:
All soft on the boards, rarely win puck battles. Stripped pretty easily too. Added bonus that they take a lot of stick infractions when they lose their battles. No board skills and racking up penalties while they fail, a winning combo.

He's good on the PK but so what lots of players can PK, they don't have to be a scoring centre. I see little in the way of creative playmaking from him or execution. He takes a lot of shots?? Oh wow! Too bad his wrist shot sucks and most of them are non threatening, just what the team needs a guy with Jason Blake syndrome.

Sergei just does not have much talent. He can play rough at least which can get him a spot as a 3rd/4th liner but he'll never be more than that kind of a plug since he doesn't have much hockey IQ either. Now would be a good time to trade him while he is young and still has prospect value, before the book on him is out.
I think most knowledgable hockey people would disagree with you on almost every point that you make.

By the way, why do you have no comments on the soft play of Tanguay and Brisebois, for example. Or how about Brisebois' lack of hocky IQ.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Roulin

Quote:
All soft on the boards, rarely win puck battles. Stripped pretty easily too. Added bonus that they take a lot of stick infractions when they lose their battles. No board skills and racking up penalties while they fail, a winning combo.

He's good on the PK but so what lots of players can PK, they don't have to be a scoring centre. I see little in the way of creative playmaking from him or execution. He takes a lot of shots?? Oh wow! Too bad his wrist shot sucks and most of them are non threatening, just what the team needs a guy with Jason Blake syndrome.

Sergei just does not have much talent. He can play rough at least which can get him a spot as a 3rd/4th liner but he'll never be more than that kind of a plug since he doesn't have much hockey IQ either. Now would be a good time to trade him while he is young and still has prospect value, before the book on him is out.

Just when I think one paragraph can't be topped, the next comes along...

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
smon

All hockey players tend to have flaws. There's not one perfect hockey player on the Canadiens, you know...and Higgins, yeah, doesn't have the hands to be a first liner, but he's a solid third liner with good offensive touch. Even if he doesn't score, he's not a defensive liability. Other forwards this year aren't producing and they are defensive liabilities.

As for Sergei Kostitsyn, well he needs to improve his consistency as do all young players. Maybe a trip back to the AHL for him and Ryan O'Byrne will do both of them some good - it worked with Price last season, didn't it...Obviously right now is not the best time given that there are so many injured forwards and Maxwell (who definitely should be back in the AHL) is playing a regular shift, but when they return, why not? Ultimately at this stage of his career, development should be key. If he's not contributing in the bigs, let him hone his skills further in the minors - don't want another Latendresse scenario where he's all raw skills despite years in the NHL.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
No seriously, you're joking, right?

The guy tears it up in the OHL, produces a point per game in Hamilton in 22 games, before being called up to the habs, where he does pretty well as a rookie. He did well in the playoffs last season with 3 goals and 5 assists in 12 games, and is now struggling, LIKE THE REST OF THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN TEAM!!!

Which makes him a third liner
London? Hamilton? This is the NHL buddy, a HUGE step up. Minor league production doesn't mean squat.

Now try actually watching him, if you don't know hockey well enough to be able to seriously analyse a player's game, don't bother posting. I'm not talking about his points totals, Im not criticizing his shortage of good bounces going in for him, I'm talking about lack of superior talent necessary to be a top 4 winger on an upper tier NHL TEAM. It's not some god given right just cuz your more talented big bro is one.

Compared to Andrei he isn't as good in every possible way:
Stickhandling, shot, passing, ice vision, hockey smarts

The only thing he's got going from him is getting angry and laying out guys open ice, but lately all he's done when he's gotten angry is take slashing penalties.

Some of you fanboys really need to wake up and take a hard look at some guys play, you get emotionally attached to habs players like they're pet puppies or something. Try watching more non-Montreal NHL games and learn something about NHL hockey, take off your CH tshirt while you do.

Old
12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I think most knowledgable hockey people would disagree with you on almost every point that you make.

By the way, why do you have no comments on the soft play of Tanguay and Brisebois, for example. Or how about Brisebois' lack of hocky IQ.
I don't think anything more needs to be said about Breezer, he's got no business playing 15 minutes a game in the NHL, every shift he makes a mistake.

Tanguay played well with Koivu, they were very entertaining to watch and regularly dominated play. He's been pretty invisible with this new line but most of that I blame of Kovalev's puck hogging.

Old
12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
snakeye

Quote:
London? Hamilton? This is the NHL buddy, a HUGE step up. Minor league production doesn't mean squat.
Um, actually yes it does. How else would you evaluate a player that has yet to play a single complete season in the NHL? How do you evaluate young talent? On what do the GMs base their draft picks upon, if not minor league performance?

Quote:
Now try actually watching him, if you don't know hockey well enough to be able to seriously analyse a player's game, don't bother posting. I'm not talking about his points totals, Im not criticizing his shortage of good bounces going in for him, I'm talking about lack of superior talent necessary to be a top 4 winger on an upper tier NHL TEAM. It's not some god given right just cuz your more talented big bro is one.
I've seen him pull some move, makes some plays and score some goals that most 3rd liners in the league will only dream of making.

Quote:
Compared to Andrei he isn't as good in every possible way:
Stickhandling, shot, passing, ice vision, hockey smarts
Andrei has a better shot. Everything else is arguable.

Quote:
The only thing he's got going from him is getting angry and laying out guys open ice, but lately all he's done when he's gotten angry is take slashing penalties.
That doesn't mean jack chit. Koivu has collected a crapload of stupid penalties last season. However that didn't make him a third liner.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
LOL people laughed at me when I said that Higgins was nothing more than a 3rd liner who can scores from time to time. Who's laughing at the end of the day ?!
Um... us? Chris Higgins on the IR 5 years from now will still be more valuable than Sergei Samsono... I mean Kostitsyn.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Um... us? Chris Higgins on the IR 5 years from now will still be more valuable than Sergei Samsono... I mean Kostitsyn.
Why do you bring Sergei K in the conversation ?! Can't you bring some valid arguments to defend you're boy ?! I know it's hard to find anything positive to say about "Mr. Stone Hands" Higgins... Sad... Sergei is just a prospect, so he's trying hard, but nothing is working right now unlike Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, etc. who are the Vets of this team.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Why do you bring Sergei K in the conversation ?! Can't you bring some valid arguments to defend you're boy ?! Sad... Sergei is just a prospect, so he's trying hard unlike players like Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, etc.

Kovalev is not trying hard? Kovalev has been our best player the last few games, he just hasn't put it in.

Tanguay works hard as well, you just don't understand his role.

Higgins is one of the few players on the team that has the energy and strength to forecheck just as hard as he backchecks. Don't give me that crap.

I bring in Sergei Samsonovitsysn because you yourself admitted that you cheer more for him than the Montreal Canadiens when you wanted us to lose so he could play again. I'd rather just expose you than make the point. You need to find a new forum.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
LOL people laughed at me when I said that Higgins was nothing more than a 3rd liner who can scores from time to time. Who's laughing at the end of the day ?! I guess that people are starting to realize it now... It was about time folks !!

I said it and I will repeat it again, please Bob, ship this guy out of this town while he still have some value... if not any...

Just to make it clear...

Explain me how having a great 3rd liner(which as of right now Sergei is not even achieving) is a BAD thing and more importantly how so we should trade him while he has value....

Should we trade Markov, Price, Komisarek, Koivu because they have value ?? no we build around them... same apply with higgins !

And before even considering trading higgins we should ask ourselfves ? do we have a player that can step in at his place with the same sucess as a short-term and longterm? no ! Is Higgins overpaid as his role (3rd liner)? no ! Is higgins a cancer in the locker room ? no ?

Unless we trade him for a superstar I dont see how trading Higgins would help us at all !

So do we keep him ? absolutely !

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Stick to the topic, or this will be shut down really quickly.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
LOL people laughed at me when I said that Higgins was nothing more than a 3rd liner who can scores from time to time. Who's laughing at the end of the day ?! I guess that people are starting to realize it now... It was about time folks !!
No. People laugh at you 'cause at one point you acknowledge that he can be a 3rd liner who can score and that we should get rid of him.....You did know that you need 3rd liner players do you? And you do acknowledge him scoring 20+ goals for a couple of seasons.....so how about keeping him? If you, by the countless posts, judge how bad a player he is, don't you think that other GM's might share the same point of view? So will we be more served by keeping him and playing him in a certain role or trading him and get lower value for guy who's soooooooo bad?

As much as I think that WITH US, RIGHT NOW, he's a 3rd liner, he's typically another young guy who can certainly flourish elsewhere and make us look bad once again.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:

IMO, Higgins and Plekanec on the third line would make one of the best third line of the league for the future. I think that they would both play better in this role.

The problem is our depth at center. Maxwell may be a 2nd line center but we will still lack a legit number one center. That's always the same thing.

Unless Kovalev finds back the game he was playing last season, I'm starting to think that he shouldn't be re-signed at the end of the season.

Tanguay
AKostitsyn
SKostitsyn
Pacioretty
D'Agostini
Higgins

Those would be my wingers on lines 1, 2 and 3 for the future.

As for Latendresse, unless he wants to be a career 4th liner, I don't think that his future is in Montreal.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-17-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Stick to the topic.
ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
He'll be useful next year with us potentially lang/tanguay/kovalev, etc. Mind you, if you could trade him for a jay bo, then not much i can say. Besides that, i like him, i want him to stay and i don't want to throw him away for nothing.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:04 PM
primeking

The guy doesnt have an "A" on his shirt for nothing ; leadership, skating, defensive awareness and even a scoring touch are all part of his attributes. We need him to get back so he can play some good hockey for us. Even if he doesnt score that much he forechecks, backchecks plus he doesnt look like a lost little boy in his own zone. Another poster noted how our 2nd PP unit wasnt performing ; Higgins was there last year... 27 goals, I guess a couple of them came on the man advantage...

primeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:26 PM
WeezyHabFan

WOW this is a totally new subject that no one has ever talked about!

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
So insulting one of our best young players is the way to do it? I know Sergei has talent and just having a rough patch like the rest of the ****ing team. When he steps up and plays better you will be the first to cheer me on.

We have lousy fans, sorry to say it but look yourselves in the mirror. All of you.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-17-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Leave the personal stuff out.
HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
I think its time to move Higgins this season. He's a great player and i'm a big fan of his but i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.

He's injury prone, he seems to have mental issues, and he hasnt been the same since he hurt his ankle 2 years ago (despite the fact he scored 27goals last season).

We should try and package him into a deal to get a top4 D-man at the deadline imo. If we wait to long he's going to lose all his value and we will end up trading him down the road for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pic, or just simply lose him to free agency.

Discuss??
Do you suggest that Gainey start calling GMs and announce to the world that he wants to trade Chris Higgins before his value diminishes? That type of proactivity is unthinkable. Any possibility that Higgins will be traded would come up when Gainey and another GM are discussing other players.

Having said that, I admonish you for opening a redundant thread on this subject. Go back in the archives and see how unoriginal you are.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Plekanetzz

Why moving him?

Chris Higgins is simply playing like Chris Higgins. He'll never be a 40 goals scorer.

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

The best time to deal him away was last year.

Forget it right now. At least he's not going to be expensive this summer.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
sampollock

higgins said he could score 40 goals, never happen,

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
habs1993

Higgins has some good qualities and he's been a fairly good player for the habs...the problem he isn't a great player and I think he's overated....we expect to much from him as a top 6 player....

Many teams have show interested in Higgins and he would probably be good player to package for a key top line player....but only for a top player!......

I think a player like Higgins can be replaced.....but if an opportunity comes up to get a great player and they want Higgins...we shouldn't pass it up!

To get great assets you have give some good assets....that's how it goes!

Being that he's injured..the timing is probably not good.

habs1993 is offline   Reply With Quote