HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Star UFA's

Old
12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

vCash: 500
Star UFA's

What are UFA's (Superstars) worth? I believe the NHL will be affected by the economy in the next few years. The cap will more than likely have to be lowered sooner than later. More and more teams are appreciating the value of drafting well and building a decent farm system in today's NHL.

My questions are:

Who actually has the ability (pieces and picks), window of opportunity, and the cap room to add a soon to be UFA star player? Will it be a buyers or sellers market?

Do you think teams are still willing to overpay a rental for a chance at the cup or will they be more wary to depart with young talent in the cap age?

What kind of trade package will it take to acquire star players? Are teams willing to give up young roster players, prospects, and draft picks for UFA's? Does salary have to go the other way in order to make a deal for a bonafide star?

What is a reasonable expectation for guys like JBow and Gaborik? Are there any other players who might get considerable attention at the trade deadline who are not getting the spotlight at this time?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
SuperAwesomeSeb

Henrik Zetterberg is a good star player that is going to be a unrestricted free agent next year, but I don't see Detroit trading him at the deadline.

But I do think the St.Louis Blues might think about trading Keith Tkachuk

SuperAwesomeSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Z will probably retire a Red Wing, at least he should.

Old
12-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebster03 View Post
Henrik Zetterberg is a good star player that is going to be a unrestricted free agent next year, but I don't see Detroit trading him at the deadline.

But I do think the St.Louis Blues might think about trading Keith Tkachuk
I think this is about star players. Star players don't get as streak as Walt

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I don't think Tkachuk can pull a first anymore...at least he shouldn't!

Old
12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I don't think Tkachuk can pull a first anymore...at least he shouldn't!
Probably still could...I imagine with the upcoming draft being so deep though, it probably doesn't happen.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
It really depends on who it is but generally Picks and Blue chip prospects.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
State of Hockey

I'd say this year is the perfect opportunity for a bottom feeder to turn it around. We have what looks like a deep draft coming up, and very few teams will have the cap space to sign the top free agents like what we might have in Gaborik and Bouwmeester. Maybe this is the perfect year for LA, NYI, or Toronto to make big moves.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Like Hossa superstar? Or like Crosby/Ovechkin superstar?

I think pending UFA superstars are overrated by most on here. Players like Gaborik (if you count him) and Kaberle (next season) likely wont get a player who will be as good...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
The cap is going to go down $2-3 million next season, with the season after next being the big drop. Its going to be interesting to see how teams get themselves ready for a drop. Speaking for the Panthers, they will be over $20 million under the cap next season, and the only main players they need to resign is Booth, and one or both of Boynton and Skrastins.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Like Hossa superstar? Or like Crosby/Ovechkin superstar?

I think pending UFA superstars are overrated by most on here. Players like Gaborik (if you count him) and Kaberle (next season) likely wont get a player who will be as good...
Hossa-ish.

Old
12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
It really depends on who it is but generally Picks and Blue chip prospects.
How many teams are in a position to do this for a UFA this year?

Old
12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
The cap is going to go down $2-3 million next season, with the season after next being the big drop. Its going to be interesting to see how teams get themselves ready for a drop. Speaking for the Panthers, they will be over $20 million under the cap next season, and the only main players they need to resign is Booth, and one or both of Boynton and Skrastins.
Wait... 2-3 million next year, and then a big drop? There's no way the cap goes down that much that fast, just not happening.

However, I do think it will affect the salaries of resigning UFAs, or at least the term length on new contracts. I'm not sure why the potential of a decreasing cap would affect what an impending UFA is worth at the deadline, because it's generally a rental situation anyways.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Wait... 2-3 million next year, and then a big drop? There's no way the cap goes down that much that fast, just not happening.

However, I do think it will affect the salaries of resigning UFAs, or at least the term length on new contracts. I'm not sure why the potential of a decreasing cap would affect what an impending UFA is worth at the deadline, because it's generally a rental situation anyways.
It's more a situation where building a solid farm team can elleviate future expenditures and create money to actually sign a RFA or UFA instead of trading for one as a rental. Prospects have always been a little over-rated on HFBoards, but will teams be less willing to part with prospects and #1's in order to establish their cupboards more so now than previous eras?

A few teams that are established have less worry about losing some prospects especially if their window of opportunity for winning a cup is getting smaller. How many of those teams have the cap space to take on such players. I guess to make a long story short, how many true buyers will there be this year?

Old
12-18-2008, 12:09 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
It's more a situation where building a solid farm team can elleviate future expenditures and create money to actually sign a RFA or UFA instead of trading for one as a rental. Prospects have always been a little over-rated on HFBoards, but will teams be less willing to part with prospects and #1's in order to establish their cupboards more so now than previous eras?

A few teams that are established have less worry about losing some prospects especially if their window of opportunity for winning a cup is getting smaller. How many of those teams have the cap space to take on such players. I guess to make a long story short, how many true buyers will there be this year?
with the NW n SE divs being toss ups each and every year
its hard to say actual Buyers n Seller
the canucks for instance right now. would be buyers. come April. well last year is a good example of how seasons can turn.

what i wanna know. is Dallas. should they start looking to next year? maybe even the next? an older club of players. not many young guys coming in. Richards trade ***** Dallas' closet well.

Modano, Zubov, Lethinen, all very tradeable to Buying teams.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote