HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Move Chris Higgins??

Old
12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
HotPie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Why do you bring Sergei K in the conversation ?! Can't you bring some valid arguments to defend you're boy ?! I know it's hard to find anything positive to say about "Mr. Stone Hands" Higgins... Sad... Sergei is just a prospect, so he's trying hard, but nothing is working right now unlike Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, etc. who are the Vets of this team.

He's bringing Sergei in the conversation for the same reason you bring Higgins in any conversation that doesn't involve Higgins.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
BigTimer*

He is definately expendable, but I don't see a point in trading him for someone of equal value. In a package for a great player, sure.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
IMO, Higgins and Plekanec on the third line would make one of the best third line of the league for the future. I think that they would both play better in this role.

The problem is our depth at center. Maxwell may be a 2nd line center but we will still lack a legit number one center. That's always the same thing.

Unless Kovalev finds back the game he was playing last season, I'm starting to think that he shouldn't be re-signed at the end of the season.

Tanguay
AKostitsyn
SKostitsyn
Pacioretty
D'Agostini
Higgins

Those would be my wingers on lines 1, 2 and 3 for the future.

As for Latendresse, unless he wants to be a career 4th liner, I don't think that his future is in Montreal.
I like the skill, but I think we need a little more sandpaper to play against the likes of Lucic, Carter, Wheeler...etc.

need to get a little bigger.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I like the skill, but I think we need a little more sandpaper to play against the likes of Lucic, Carter, Wheeler...etc.

need to get a little bigger.
Size isn't enough. Some of those players can outplay as well as physically dominate a Latendresse, for example.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

The hell, why do people say chris is a 3rd like player? he's a top 6 forward. Lang is a 3rd line center on our team, sergei was in the pressbox, does that make him lower than 4th line players or something? It's stupid. Higgins is not a 3rd line player, he's a top 6 forward who may(not for sure) be suited in a 3rd line on OUR team. He goes to another other team he's getting top 6 easily. We have 3 offensive lines, just because he makes less points than tanguay, kovalev and andrei doesn't make him a scrap. He's a good player. People swing their opinions around so easily. One day he's part of our core, the next he's expendable. Nonsense. He can moved, he's not untouchable, but he's a good player, not a great one, a good one, and he's not a 3rd line player. Like said, he just may be best suited on the 3rd line because he's versatile and can play in any situation, including defensive ones. That's a good thing, somehow him being able to slot into the 3rd line easily makes him an average player, a 3rd liner. Shouldn't him being able to slot into any line make him a player of higher value, not lower?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
The hell, why do people say chris is a 3rd like player? he's a top 6 forward. Lang is a 3rd line center on our team, sergei was in the pressbox, does that make him lower than 4th line players or something? It's stupid. Higgins is not a 3rd line player, he's a top 6 forward who may(not for sure) be suited in a 3rd line on OUR team. He goes to another other team he's getting top 6 easily. We have 3 offensive lines, just because he makes less points than tanguay, kovalev and andrei doesn't make him a scrap. He's a good player. People swing their opinions around so easily. One day he's part of our core, the next he's expendable. Nonsense. He can moved, he's not untouchable, but he's a good player, not a great one, a good one, and he's not a 3rd line player. Like said, he just may be best suited on the 3rd line because he's versatile and can play in any situation, including defensive ones. That's a good thing, somehow him being able to slot into the 3rd line easily makes him an average player, a 3rd liner. Shouldn't him being able to slot into any line make him a player of higher value, not lower?
He's a 3rd line player who can fill a top-6 spot in case of injuries. He is not to be relied on for offense, and he should shore up his physical and complimentary play rather than keeping up with his delusions of 40 goal seasons.

Old
12-18-2008, 12:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot09 View Post
He's a 3rd line player who can fill a top-6 spot in case of injuries. He is not to be relied on for offense, and he should shore up his physical and complimentary play rather than keeping up with his delusions of 40 goal seasons.
Whether he's delusional or not, doesn't mean he's not a top 6 forward. You don't need 40 goals to be a top 6 player. Nearly 30 goals seems like a good indication that he's more than a 3rd liner.

Old
12-18-2008, 01:10 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Whether he's delusional or not, doesn't mean he's not a top 6 forward. You don't need 40 goals to be a top 6 player. Nearly 30 goals seems like a good indication that he's more than a 3rd liner.
What you don't understand is if you take all the chances Higgins needed in order to get his 27 goals, and you give them to a bonafide top-6 player, they will do more with them.

Latendresse, for example, scored 16 goals last season in less than half the amount of shots Higgins needed in order to reach his 27. Same goes for ice-time. Now Lats isn't a top-6 player but it just goes to show how replaceable Higgins' production is on the top-2 lines. Wasting a top-6 spot on him is just inefficient.

On top of his weak offensive start to the season, his defensive game has regressed since last season and he still plays with no edge to speak of. He's turning 26 at seasons end, enough of putting him on a pedestal.

Old
12-18-2008, 01:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

When comes playoffs time, I rather have Chris Higgins in my line-up than S.Kost..

Personally I keep Higgins.. I think the guy will be extremmely valuable in the post season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
What you don't understand is if you take all the chances Higgins needed in order to get his 27 goals, and you give them to a bonafide top-6 player, they will do more with them.

Latendresse, for example, scored 16 goals last season in less than half the amount of shots Higgins needed in order to reach his 27. Same goes for ice-time. Now Lats isn't a top-6 player but it just goes to show how replaceable Higgins' production is on the top-2 lines. Wasting a top-6 spot on him is just inefficient.

On top of his weak offensive start to the season, his defensive game has regressed since last season and he still plays with no edge to speak of. He's turning 26 at seasons end, enough of putting him on a pedestal.
Who's putting him a on pedestal? I said he's not a 3rd line player. The hell are you talking about, 27 goals on the second line last year? what's the problem I think only kovy had more goals on the team, is it that replaceable?

Old
12-18-2008, 02:20 AM
OneSharpMarble

If Higgins gets moved, which would be a travesty because he is one of the few who try hard every night, I think we need to get an equally hard working player back. If we get another lazy Kovalev or weak perimeter player this team would really lose out.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Also, latendresse had 13.79% shooting percentage last year, higgins 11.2%. Is it that huge a dif?

Also, higgins has 600 career shots in 246 games, latendresse has 268 in 176. I honestly don't care who has a better shooting percentage if they shoot half the time as someone else. Higgins shoots. On a team where we have no goal scoring, and with kovy and lang potentially gone, you wanna remove a goal scorer? Someone who actually thinks shoot first? The hell is wrong with you people. If he gets traded its not for a D-man, only a top forward because the shots on goal loss isn't gonna be picked up by guys like koivu. Higgins took 241 shots last year, i believe most on the team.

Old
12-18-2008, 02:29 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Who's putting him a on pedestal? I said he's not a 3rd line player. The hell are you talking about, 27 goals on the second line last year? what's the problem I think only kovy had more goals on the team, is it that replaceable?
Anyone who says he's a scoring line winger is putting him on a pedestal. That includes the coach who insists on giving him PP time when he can barely do his PK duties.

Higgins, for one reason or another, never has to prove anything to keep his spot. He doesn't need to play/earn his way on to the PP, and even with his poor play this year he still gets his icetime.

Old
12-18-2008, 03:05 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Well you're smart ... that difference must be attributed to Higgins being a shooter and not the difference in ice-times. And maybe if he had something called vision he would not waste scoring chances on low percentage shots, and maybe pass the puck.
I don't get your point, he has 2% less than gui last year. Maybe that 2% was lost because the sample size was larger as opposed to latendresse, if latendresse took 241 shots, would he have scored 27? That's the question. There's no reason to believe latendresse or anyone on this team could fill the role higgins plays whether you like him or not.

Ovechkin took a whooping 446 shots last year, 14.57% success rate. Higher than gui and higgins. I guess he has poor vision, since he seems to take so many shots, with talent like his and the shots he has, he should have a much higher success rate, damn that poor vision of his taking those low percentage shots! 100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in buddy. I honestly don't care about shooting percentage, just score. Will you honestly complain if we destroy a team one day but higgins shot sucess rate was low? who cares? Honestly. If it were disgustingly low, then yes, but you gotta shoot to score, and he shoots the most. It's not complicated. Jeremy williams(Toronto) has 3 goals on 8 shots this year. OMG OMG OMG, he's 24, higgins is 26, lets trade because success rate means everything! Anyway, higgins had goals and assists, what's the problem? He didn't hog the puck. He plays hard, went to the net, took shots, got rebounds, scored, what's the problem?

Quote:
Anyone who says he's a scoring line winger is putting him on a pedestal. That includes the coach who insists on giving him PP time when he can barely do his PK duties.

Higgins, for one reason or another, never has to prove anything to keep his spot. He doesn't need to play/earn his way on to the PP, and even with his poor play this year he still gets his icetime.
Andrei-Plek-Kovy
Tanguay-Koivu-

Who's the last guy? who's our best goalscoring winger after those 5 players? Oh ****, it's higgins! Doesn't that put him on the second line? What a coincidence! This must be a joke, a guy who scores nearly 30 goals on the 2nd line? We must have some 40 goal scorers hidden on the fourth line or the minors. Is carbo kidding us? A shooter, playing a shooting role, and he hasn't had less than 20 goals in his nhl career. Damn, we OBVIOUSLY have a kovalchuk, ovechkin, or rick nash somewhere in our system! The hell is going on here, ridiculous, lets ignore that this guy gets paid 1.7 million and scores 27 goals, honestly, that means nothing. We need to go get an overpriced winger, yah, that's what we need, maybe some guy making a nice cool 5 mil, he'll pop some 35 goals, and then we can say we don't miss higgins, yah, perfect. This all makes so much sense. I mean, there's guys like jeroma iginla, who are considered one of the best scorers in the game who are on pace for 42 goals this year, then there's higgins, who makes 27 and is mr.stone hands. I guess the difference between elite goal scorers and 3rd line players isn't that large. who knew?

Sarcasm aside, i'm not saying higgins is iginla(i wish) but clearly people are a little crazy with the expectations here. Higgins had 27 goals last year, never less than 20 goals a season, plays PP, PK. Doesn't have a mean streak, but he hits, he doesn't remove from team toughness. He gets a nice 1.7 mil a year but we want him out? C'mon, appreciate what we have. Everyone's struggling. Kovalev scored 35 last year, i doubt he's on pace for half that. Niklas Hagman is on pace for 23 goals actually getting ice time on a rebuilding team, he gets 3 million. Am I missing something? I guess I am. I'm not saying higgins is great, but lay off, he was 2nd on the team in goals last year, if kovy leaves this summer, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who scores? Maybe not like he said 40G 40A, but is that what this is about? Because he said he can score 40 goals, and he made 30ish he sucks? He's fine.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-18-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old
12-18-2008, 03:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Andrei-Plek-Kovy
Tanguay-Koivu-

Who's the last guy? who's our best goalscoring winger after those 5 players? Oh ****, it's higgins! Doesn't that put him on the second line? What a coincidence! This must be a joke, a guy who scores nearly 30 goals on the 2nd line? We must have some 40 goal scorers hidden on the fourth line or the minors. Is carbo kidding us? A shooter, playing a shooting role, and he hasn't had less than 20 goals in his nhl career. Damn, we OBVIOUSLY have a kovalchuk, ovechkin, or rick nash somewhere in our system! The hell is going on here, ridiculous, lets ignore that this guy gets paid 1.7 million and scores 27 goals, honestly, that means nothing. We need to go get an overpriced winger, yah, that's what we need, maybe some guy making a nice cool 5 mil, he'll pop some 35 goals, and then we can say we don't miss higgins, yah, perfect. This all makes so much sense. I mean, there's guys like jeroma iginla, who are considered one of the best scorers in the game who are on pace for 42 goals this year, then there's higgins, who makes 27 and is mr.stone hands. I guess the difference between elite goal scorers and 3rd line players isn't that large. who knew?

Sarcasm aside, i'm not saying higgins is iginla(i wish) but clearly people are a little crazy with the expectations here. Higgins had 27 goals last year, never less than 20 goals a season, plays PP, PK. Doesn't have a mean streak, but he hits, he doesn't remove from team toughness. He gets a nice 1.7 mil a year but we want him out? C'mon, appreciate what we have. Everyone's struggling. Kovalev scored 35 last year, i doubt he's on pace for half that. Niklas Hagman is on pace for 23 goals actually getting ice time on a rebuilding team, he gets 3 million. Am I missing something? I guess I am. I'm not saying higgins is great, but lay off, he was 2nd on the team in goals last year, if kovy leaves this summer, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who scores? Maybe not like he said 40G 40A, but is that what this is about? Because he said he can score 40 goals, and he made 30ish he sucks? He's fine.
Right now it would be D'agostini, and not only because Higgins's injured...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:12 AM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
I think its time to move Higgins this season. He's a great player and i'm a big fan of his but i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.

He's injury prone, he seems to have mental issues, and he hasnt been the same since he hurt his ankle 2 years ago (despite the fact he scored 27goals last season).

We should try and package him into a deal to get a top4 D-man at the deadline imo. If we wait to long he's going to lose all his value and we will end up trading him down the road for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pic, or just simply lose him to free agency.

Discuss??
you move higgins, u end up losing komisarek to free agency...anyways, higgins isn't the problem...i'd trade plekanec before i send higgins off....plekanec has proven that he's a wuss...he's a softie...when there's an important game to play he's invisible...not to mention his invisibility this season

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

hes hurt.. dont think we can move him.. and we wont.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
higgins said he could score 40 goals, never happen,
He said he thinks he has the potential top be a 40/40 player, doesn't mean it has to happen. If I say that I have the potential to become a millionaire but end up not being one, am I a bad worker for that,a loser?

What the **** is wrong with people these days? You never exaggerated your talent/potential even ONCE in your lifetime?

Oh and by the way, he's still young, it could still happen. Jeez.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:41 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
He said he thinks he has the potential top be a 40/40 player, doesn't mean it has to happen. If I say that I have the potential to become a millionaire but end up not being one, am I a bad worker for that,a loser?

What the **** is wrong with people these days? You never exaggerated your talent/potential even ONCE in your lifetime?

Oh and by the way, he's still young, it could still happen. Jeez.
Haha, exactly. I don't know why people are so hung up on that.

He said he *THINKS* he can be a 40-goal scorer. If we have players who aren't trying to hit goals, trying to set the bar high, ... then I don't want them on the team.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:00 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
you move higgins, u end up losing komisarek to free agency...anyways, higgins isn't the problem...i'd trade plekanec before i send higgins off....plekanec has proven that he's a wuss...he's a softie...when there's an important game to play he's invisible...not to mention his invisibility this season
speculation, nothing else.

Old
12-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Tusk

So, out of curiosity, if it has to come down to it, who would most fans rather keep next season, Tanguay or Higgins?

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
So, out of curiosity, if it has to come down to it, who would most fans rather keep next season, Tanguay or Higgins?
Tanguay.

Old
12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Depends on their prices to me. Tanguay is a bit better than Higgins as a player IMHO. 65-pt forward vs. 55-pt forward isn't that much different. If one costs $6M and the other costs $3M, then I know which one I'd rather have.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
I think its time to move Higgins this season. He's a great player and i'm a big fan of his but i don't think he has what it takes to be the gamebreaker we once thought he would become.

He's injury prone, he seems to have mental issues, and he hasnt been the same since he hurt his ankle 2 years ago (despite the fact he scored 27goals last season).
If that's your criteria for trading Higgins, why stop there? Every player not named Price fits that bill. So let's trade all pf them.

Mental issues! Is that why he's not playing right now because he has mental issues? Is he in a sanitarium for the mentally distrubed or what?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:53 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
i need facts !! prove your point here or it's non valid. give me one quote from Komi or Higgy. this is hear say from fanaticals. hockey is a business, not a friendship.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote