HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's doubting the Flyers now?

Old
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
You have no idea how an NHL team is run. The Head Coach is responsible for every aspect on the ice. And has his hand in every aspect on the ice. And who a player gives credit too, has nothing to do with how a team is run.
You lied, you weren't supposed to reply again.

The Head Coach is responsible for everything, that doesn't mean he COACHES everything. Does a boss do everything at a job, or does he have employees and subordinates who do the tasks for him?

And who a player gives credit to is probably indicative of who was actually doing the coaching.

Quote:
Assistant coach Terry Murray made a couple adjustments that seem to have paid off, according to Mike Richards.

“[Murray] put in place what he wants us to do. It seemed like before we were trying to push offense a little bit too much and turn pucks over, and they ended up capitalizing on the opportunities that we were giving them,” said Richards, who has five shorthanded goals. “Now, we’re trying to keep it simple and get the puck 200 feet (down the ice). When the opportunity is there, we’ll take it, but we can’t force the issue.”
http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
scottie doesnt know

One thing I have to say is that Stevens is the one who is diagramming the plays. Just because he delegates it to Berube to write them down during timeouts doesn't mean that its not Stevens plays.

scottie doesnt know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie doesnt know View Post
One thing I have to say is that Stevens is the one who is diagramming the plays. Just because he delegates it to Berube to write them down during timeouts doesn't mean that its not Stevens plays.
huh?

sometimes Stevens is the one diagramming and explaining the play in the huddle. however, compared to a lot of HCs around the league, he lets his assistants do that far more often than most. last year Murray was commonly the one in the huddle, and we've seen Berube down there more than a few times this year.

Old
12-17-2008, 10:07 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

So...................

Who's doubting the Flyers now??!!??

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
This is when Jester's lapdogs come out to back him up. Just exactly what facts, that can be documented, did Jester provide?
He's referencing specific interviews and quotes from players, coaches, members of the media, etc. He has a memory. He doesn't have time to flip through old papers and websites to satisfy you. You're just talking out of your ass. There's a difference. It's exactly the same as the Jones debate from a few days ago. We were talking about Jones' words, and you were making **** up.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I smell 7 pages of Jester providing facts and Carterfor60 providing nothing but baseless speculation and saying "wrong!" as if that means anything.
I wondered when you'd be around to give The Board's Smartest Poster a back rub...

No wonder no one ever wins an argument with him; he can post baloney like this:

Quote:
Not for the PK or PP, he hasn't coached them since he got here.
:and people like you actually back him up.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I wondered when you'd be around to give The Board's Smartest Poster a back rub...

No wonder no one ever wins an argument with him; he can post baloney like this:

:and people like you actually back him up.
How is it "baloney" when players and members of the media (including announce tandems every single game) give credit to the assistant coaches for the play of the special teams units?

It's not about backing him up, it's about seeing a retarded argument by somebody and agreeing with somebody else.

Old
12-17-2008, 10:32 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

So.................

Old
12-17-2008, 10:46 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
How is it "baloney" when players and members of the media (including announce tandems every single game) give credit to the assistant coaches for the play of the special teams units?
You do know the difference between that and "Not for the PK or PP, he hasn't coached them since he got here.", don't you?

Quote:
It's not about backing him up, it's about seeing a retarded argument by somebody and agreeing with somebody else.
You weren't agreeing, you were fawning.

Long distance romances never work out, you know

Old
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
So.................

"The Chumpster, the Chumpmaster, His Chumpness, keepin' it on topic."

Old
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
You do know the difference between that and "Not for the PK or PP, he hasn't coached them since he got here.", don't you?
What's the difference? How are you going to prove to me he's coached special teams since he got here? As far back as I remember, it was the assistants.

Quote:
You weren't agreeing, you were fawning.

Long distance romances never work out, you know
I'm sorry you see it that way. I wouldn't expect much out of someone who refers to a group of posters as the Nintendo Gang. I was merely pointing out that another epic battle was about to take place. We just got over the last one.

Aren't gay jokes a bit too immature for someone of your age?

Last edited by Dig Out Your Soul: 12-17-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old
12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
decadentia

This thread is becoming a bit ridiculous.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:30 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
This thread is becoming a bit ridiculous.
And here I thought we already had a "Fire Stevens" thread.

So anyway............................

Old
12-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Miss Mess

Certain people on this board DO state everything they think like it's a fact, it's ridiculous sometimes!!

But I think we can all agree on one thing: Our team is awesome! Stanley Cup 2009 baby!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:16 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
And here I thought we already had a "Fire Stevens" thread.

So anyway............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post

Certain people on this board DO state everything they think like it's a fact, it's ridiculous sometimes!!

But I think we can all agree on one thing: Our team is awesome! Stanley Cup 2009 baby!
Why can't we just be happy with how we're performing and hope it goes well the rest of the season. Really thats the common ground for this whole board, it definitely beats Rainbows vs Reapers.

I totally understand both sides. I understand why some are so excited by how we're performing...but on the other hand we've done this before and gone into slumps. So of course it brings into question the stability of our head coach if our team is unstable. Saying he brings absolutely nothing to the table for our wins, and he is every part of our losses is a bit dogmatic however.

Such a dichotomy we have on this board.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:
He's referencing specific interviews and quotes from players, coaches, members of the media, etc. He has a memory. He doesn't have time to flip through old papers and websites to satisfy you. You're just talking out of your ass. There's a difference. It's exactly the same as the Jones debate from a few days ago. We were talking about Jones' words, and you were making **** up.
I didn't make a single thing up about the Jones words. Not one. You apply a double standard. You'll accept everything Jester say as fact. Without any evidence to back up his words. Other people have memories also. But you'll label them incorrect, if they go against what Jester says. I have E mails out to numerous people who cover the Flyers and are professional Hockey analysts. And when I get their responses. We'll find out who changes the Forward lines during games. And we'll find out who's talking out their ass. And then I'll have another response to contradict Jester's stance that Stevens isn't capable of quickly turning around a negative situation. But Jester will likely spin the conversation off on some tangent, that is completely irrelevant to the situation. To try and spin his way out of it, just like he did in the Jones situation. And you'll back him up like the follower you are. The blind leading the blind.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:08 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
What's the difference? How are you going to prove to me he's coached special teams since he got here? As far back as I remember, it was the assistants.
How do you know that?

I'm not sure there's a lot of proof required to back up an assertion that the head coach is involved in special teams play.

Quote:
I'm sorry you see it that way. I wouldn't expect much out of someone who refers to a group of posters as the Nintendo Gang.
I don't remember Nintendo Gang. I do recall Puppy Love Posse.

The Nintendo reference is intriguing though. As I recall, it came up when some here, including you, stated that every woe the Flyers had in their own zone was Steven's fault. Vandermeer's twenty foot pass to Lupul is in Lupul's skates? Stevens' fault! Coburn's weak wraparound? Stevens' fault! Kukks stripped of the puck in the circle to the right of Biron? Stevens' fault!

Now that things look good well let's focus on the assistant coaches who have managed to escape the bonds of the dumb coach to make special teams effective.

ID.I.OTIC.

Quote:
Aren't gay jokes a bit too immature for someone of your age?
LOL

Yeah, probably, but I grew up in a less sensitive time, so they still make me chuckle.

Old
12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I totally understand both sides. I understand why some are so excited by how we're performing...but on the other hand we've done this before and gone into slumps. So of course it brings into question the stability of our head coach if our team is unstable. Saying he brings absolutely nothing to the table for our wins, and he is every part of our losses is a bit dogmatic however.
Young players tend toward inconsistency. Teams made of young players therefore tend toward inconsistency.

As they become veterans, they (the good ones, anyway) become more consistent across time.

Richards and Carter are doing a lot of damage for this team this year, and they are doing it with better consistency. They weren't ready to do that last year, and certainly not the year before.

I guess one could make the same argument about the third year head coach.

At any rate, I think they are far less likely to swoon this year because they have more consistency at centerice.

Old
12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
All I really have to say is that if our PP and PK sucked, people would be pointing fingers directly at Stevens while when we're winning people have to find ways around giving the guy any credit by saying its not him running things.

In the beginning of the year people wanted Stevens gone. Biron was playing like crap and while he was getting ragged too, the majority of the people said he would come out of his slump but the common theme from everyone was wanting Stevens gone. Now that they start picking up the play instead of giving Stevens any credit for pulling the team out of a slump and turning them into the hottest team in the East for the past month and a half, people are giving credit to the other coaches and basically saying Stevens doesnt even run the team. Just wait until we lose 5 of 6 games and we dont score a PP goal for a week, then all the sudden Stevens must go! The Stevens hate on here is just comical, I dont think hes a good coach but I must admit I want the guy to succeed just so I can watch all the religious haters think of excuses why hes terrible while we're on a 10-15 game tear.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
All I really have to say is that if our PP and PK sucked, people would be pointing fingers directly at Stevens while when we're winning people have to find ways around giving the guy any credit by saying its not him running things.
Then explain to me why everyone blamed Berube for the PP (at least around here) during the year that is better forgotten? Hell, even the management blamed Berube...he got demoted.

Not to mention...Stevens is getting credit as a good manager in this discussion.

Where Stevens gets ripped is in this teams lackadaisical play that pops up with some consistency in stretches; the inability to create a cohesive game outside of the special teams; and, most problematic to me, his tendency to bully fringe players and play favorites.

Now, a note on the even strength play...Stevens doesn't have to be the one that comes up with the solution that problem. However, as the Head Coach it is his responsibility to make sure that there is a solution to that problem. The PP and PK are working, and working well...he deserves credit for tasking that out to people that are getting results.

Old
12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
I didn't make a single thing up about the Jones words. Not one. You apply a double standard. You'll accept everything Jester say as fact. Without any evidence to back up his words. Other people have memories also. But you'll label them incorrect, if they go against what Jester says. I have E mails out to numerous people who cover the Flyers and are professional Hockey analysts. And when I get their responses. We'll find out who changes the Forward lines during games. And we'll find out who's talking out their ass. And then I'll have another response to contradict Jester's stance that Stevens isn't capable of quickly turning around a negative situation. But Jester will likely spin the conversation off on some tangent, that is completely irrelevant to the situation. To try and spin his way out of it, just like he did in the Jones situation. And you'll back him up like the follower you are. The blind leading the blind.
That'll be interesting. Three individual ten game losing streaks under his belt.

Going to be tough to contradict the facts. Know what's cool about those ten game losing streaks? In 40 years of play the Flyers had never had a single 10 game losing streak before...Stevens got three of 'em!

Old
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Then explain to me why everyone blamed Berube for the PP (at least around here) during the year that is better forgotten? Hell, even the management blamed Berube...he got demoted.

Not to mention...Stevens is getting credit as a good manager in this discussion.

Where Stevens gets ripped is in this teams lackadaisical play that pops up with some consistency in stretches; the inability to create a cohesive game outside of the special teams; and, most problematic to me, his tendency to bully fringe players and play favorites.

Now, a note on the even strength play...Stevens doesn't have to be the one that comes up with the solution that problem. However, as the Head Coach it is his responsibility to make sure that there is a solution to that problem. The PP and PK are working, and working well...he deserves credit for tasking that out to people that are getting results.
I wasnt really referring to anything you said. More so the fact that the next time the Flyers lose I can guarentee the GDT will have more than one comment saying Stevens needs to be fired while the next time they win there will not be one comment patting him on the back.

Old
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
That'll be interesting. Three individual ten game losing streaks under his belt.

Going to be tough to contradict the facts. Know what's cool about those ten game losing streaks? In 40 years of play the Flyers had never had a single 10 game losing streak before...Stevens got three of 'em!
I keep hearing about the 2 10 game losing streaks he had last year and I keep wondering what people are talking about. The Flyers had 1 10 game losing streak unless my memory is incorrect. Also Stevens only has 2 10 game losing streaks while the flyers coach, again unless I'm mistaken, I just dont remember a 3rd.

Either way though, its much easier to go on a 10 game losing streak now than it was in the past. In the past any game that would now be a shootout, would have back then been a tie and there were shootouts I'm sure in the 10 game losing streaks which as I said would have broken up the losing streak.

Old
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I keep hearing about the 2 10 game losing streaks he had last year and I keep wondering what people are talking about. The Flyers had 1 10 game losing streak unless my memory is incorrect. Also Stevens only has 2 10 game losing streaks while the flyers coach, again unless I'm mistaken, I just dont remember a 3rd.

Either way though, its much easier to go on a 10 game losing streak now than it was in the past. In the past any game that would now be a shootout, would have back then been a tie and there were shootouts I'm sure in the 10 game losing streaks which as I said would have broken up the losing streak.
The other two came during the year that is better forgotten, and it's actually a 10-game and 9-game losing streak.

And, yes, the shootout has certainly made it easier to go on a 10-game losing streak...however, it's also made it easier to pick up a cheap win. So it pretty much evens out.

Old
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
The other two came during the year that is better forgotten, and it's actually a 10-game and 9-game losing streak.

And, yes, the shootout has certainly made it easier to go on a 10-game losing streak...however, it's also made it easier to pick up a cheap win. So it pretty much evens out.
It does but that doesnt take away from the fact that when your playing bad it used to be easier to pick up a tie here and there while when your going bad its much more likely you will lose in the shootout, especially when your the flyers.

The way things are set up now are pretty stupid. Theoretically you could go on a 10 game losing streak and pass a team in the standings that went 4-6 in that same 10 game span.