HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Minnesota - Vancouver & Minnesota - New York Rangers

Old
12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
NLHabsFan

vCash: 500
Minnesota - Vancouver & Minnesota - New York Rangers

This trade could workout if the Canucks lose out on getting Mats Sundin.

To Vancouver:

Marian Gaborik

To Minnesota:

Steve Bernier
Prospect Pat White (Minnesota Native)
1st Round Pick

Vancouver has plenty of cap space to absorb Gaborikís contract and with Demitra signed they would seem to have a good chance signing him long term.

If the Canucks donít get Sundin then that would mean he wants to sign with the Rangers.

Next trade would be;

To Minnesota:

Chris Drury

To New York:

Eric Belanger
Stephane Veilleux
Prospect Petr Kalus

Chris Druryís style of play would fit in really well with the way Minnesota plays and this would clear enough cap space for the Rangers to then sign Sundin, and with Gaborik being dealt the Wild have enough space to absorb Druryís contract. And if Sundin only decides to sign for this season, the cleared cap space would help them re-sign their young players Zherdev and Dubinsky, and still have Belanger who is a strong third line center under contract for one more season after this one.

Kalus is a good prospect and could thrive in the Ranger's system, from my understanding he plays a fast paced offensive game, fit in with players like Zherdev and Gomez.

Drury is probably worth more in a trade than this but the Rangers are dealing from a point of weakness now because every team knows they are trying to clear cap space and would be hard pressed to get full value for him.

Your Thoughts?

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Peter Griffin

Steve Bernier can't be traded until July on the account of the offersheet handed to him, so no it can't work.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Puckinator

So the Canucks give up Bernier, White, and a 1st, for someone it is speculated is almost a shoe-in for the Canucks to sign in the off-season?

Bwah-bwah (sound of sad comedy trumpet)

Puckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckinator View Post
So the Canucks give up Bernier, White, and a 1st, for someone it is speculated is almost a shoe-in for the Canucks to sign in the off-season?

Bwah-bwah (sound of sad comedy trumpet)
I love when the Canucks are speculated as "almost a shoe-in" to sign any superstar. It's the only true indicator that they aren't going to Vancouver.

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Inker

Whether or not the canucks really are favorites for Gaborik in the offseason, I still wouldnt give up Bernier and a 1st (white is a bust) for a pending-UFA injury-prone player.

And Bernier cant be traded this year anyways.

Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Puckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildfan79 View Post
I love when the Canucks are speculated as "almost a shoe-in" to sign any superstar. It's the only true indicator that they aren't going to Vancouver.
The only "shoe-in" I recall being discussed recently is Demitra -- and look where he is...

Old
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
The only "shoe-in" I recall being discussed recently is Demitra -- and look where he is...
I thought Gaborik, Sundin and Hossa were all on their way at some point to Vancouver, were they not?

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I thought Gaborik, Sundin and Hossa were all on their way at some point to Vancouver, were they not?
Rumours, but I don't re-call anyone but Demitra being referred to as a "shoe-in".

Old
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Puckinator

Quote:
I think people think/thought there's a good chance they are/were, but Demitra made his affection for the city known long before the Canucks signed him and it was pretty much a done deal in most peoples' minds months in advance. He's the only "shoe-in" I can think of in recent memory.

I don't recall anybody saying Hossa was coming to Vancouver, other than Vancouver might offer him a contract.

I think the Gaborik/Hossa combo thing is a bit of a pipe dream, but many media outlets have reported that Gaborik's desire is to go to Vancouver, either because he's a fan of the city, or wants to play with Demitra.

The point stands - why would the Canucks give up 3 great assets for an oft-injured player who they could sign in the off season?

Old
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Fraser Read

Quote:
Sundin was a strong chance, which has definitely proven was true(Being down to two teams and all). Gaborik this offseason is a shoe in, Gaboriks best friend Demitra is here, and he has stated that Vancouver is his favorite city to visit on road trips. And if the reports are true and Hossa wants to play with Gaborik (and to a lesser extent Demitra) then there is a strong chance that he will land in vancouver this offseason aswell.

Fraser Read is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Progal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Sundin was a strong chance, which has definitely proven was true(Being down to two teams and all). Gaborik this offseason is a shoe in, Gaboriks best friend Demitra is here, and he has stated that Vancouver is his favorite city to visit on road trips. And if the reports are true and Hossa wants to play with Gaborik (and to a lesser extent Demitra) then there is a strong chance that he will land in vancouver this offseason aswell.
It's like I've gonna back in time and am reading what all the wild fans thought was going to happen last year. I guess Canucks fans secretly love the Wild, since they are trying to remake our old first line (except hossa of course)

Progal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Puckinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progal View Post
It's like I've gonna back in time and am reading what all the wild fans thought was going to happen last year. I guess Canucks fans secretly love the Wild, since they are trying to remake our old first line (except hossa of course)
All I am saying is that if the Canucks want Gaborik (a big "if", I personally don't want him), they have little motivation to trade that much for him. They have just as good, if not better, a chance than anyone of signing him in the summer. Hence, this trade proposal is probably a big no-go from the Canucks' perspective.

Old
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
All I am saying is that if the Canucks want Gaborik (a big "if", I personally don't want him), they have little motivation to trade that much for him. They have just as good, if not better, a chance than anyone of signing him in the summer. Hence, this trade proposal is probably a big no-go from the Canucks' perspective.
Well if Gaborik can stay healthy he could be a nice player to have around for a post-season run. That's got to be worth something.

Old
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

No on both trades on Minnesota's perspective. Er and the Rangers perspective. Why would they want a prospect that probably won't come back to the US?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progal View Post
not all canuck fans...

I personally don't want to see Gaborik on the canucks... he won't sign cheap or even take a discount because of his injury history (he's already turned down a multiyear $8mill/yr deal from the Wild)... I just wouldn't want an injury-prone player taking up $8mill+ of cap space on the roster.

I'd take Hossa in a second instead... and I'd personally rather make Havlat an offer - after his stock has fallen last couple years (and the lack of cap space among teams throughout the league) it'd likely cost a lot less (maybe even half as much) to sign him than Havlat... if you're going for an injury-prone player, sign one that takes a discount because of his injury history.

I'd rather Gaborik gets overpaid someone else personally....

and for the record, I still don't know how it's possible to sign Hossa and Gaborik in one offseason... the canucks will not have that kind of cap flexibility - and if they create it by sending out other players, they just paint themselves in a corner by getting to the cap, with the likelihood of it going down the following season, and 3 key players to re-sign at that point.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that neither Hossa nor Gaborik is a canuck next season.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

From a Minnesota perspective, I would just say, "meh."

Neither deal is all that appealing to be honest. As for Gaborik, may as well wait to the deadline and see what happens then because you are looking at the same type of deal (hopefully, at least). Pat White is a complete scrub, though. Not too sure who would want him, which is why he is likely in this deal. The kid has no shot of seeing an NHL rink. I guess throwing "the Minnesota native" thing in there was sort of going for the "Awwwwe. That's cute" factor.

The Ranger deal is okay but either way you look at it, Drury's contract is not exactly something I'd want hovering over the team's head until 2012. The team is likely going to be in rebuild mode so I'm not sure how a contract like that would help them. Esspecially given the he would be the second line center. Kalus is a no-count, throw-in on the deal. He has zero value to the Wild but may have the slightest of value to someone else depending on what role they give him and if he's willing to accept it. But still, there isn't much value there. Belanger and Veilleux are decent "role" players but that's putting it nicely. If this deal wasn't to clear space for Sundin, it would be a pretty bad deal for the Rangers.

Nothing to really get excited about on the Minnesota end, though. They aren't getting much in return in the way of starting the rebuild process and that is why I would not be in favor of the deals. They aren't bad, just not exactly what I would look for personally.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote