HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Khl To Cut Players Salary By 30%

Old
12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Belso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Some people on this board realy need to stop talking like if they were pure angels of morality swinging the sword of political correctness whenever a poster refer to someone else than Josh Gorges.

Incredebly xenophobic? realy?
I agree. the "Xenophobe" word gets used way too often on this board. Sometimes it's warranted. Some other times, it's just used when someone has an opinion on non-American players.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I agree. the "Xenophobe" word gets used way too often on this board. Sometimes it's warranted. Some other times, it's just used when someone has an opinion on non-American players.
I'm sorry but here it is warranted. Hockey fans in Russia and other countries where talent originates deserve and desire to see a high level of hockey, equally as much as we do.

Put the boot on the other foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Maybe because that league isn't viable economically and tries to prance around its stuff as if it could match the NHL, by doing great theatrical moves to impress the gallery while being nothing more than a beer* league (black gushy tar-like beer) financed entirely by a private sector that doesn't except and shouldn't expect any profits from that league, knowing full well that they don't have a clue how to manage it and hence compensate by putting on a show, which is soon to end.
Sounds like the watered down, free spending NHL of not so many years ago, no?

Your post would be great if it had a real point. Simple fact is, the fans there shouldn't suffer because of any of the above.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.
zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I'm sorry but here it is warranted. Hockey fans in Russia and other countries where talent originates deserve and desire to see a high level of hockey, equally as much as we do.

The talent will and should go where the money is. If it's the NHL, so be it.

From what I've read, many of the KHL teams have issue filling arenas at bargain basement prices. Yet they offer millions in compensation to players.

I'm not sure what that's indicative of, but it's certainly not indicative of a strong economic standing.

12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Your post would be great if it had a real point. Simple fact is, the fans there shouldn't suffer because of any of the above.
Hum, yet the NHL was fully founded by the operations of their own league, and did make profits, whereas the KHL is an unsustainable adventure pretending to be a big new player on the scene, yet have no clue how to properly manage that league.

The fans are suffering because of the society they were shackled to for decades now and the resulting consequences today. It's not some billionaire oilman who is gonna save their national sport, people should've realized that. As much as I despise Buttman and some on the board of governors, what Medvedev did was to put the entire international hockey community against him, because he thought he could be arrogant, he thought money alone could usurp the king's crown. That is a lesson in karma. The NHL was promoting an upcoming expansion in Europe, they have been talking about it for years, yet instead of allying himself with them, building something with them, a league that has been there and has the history and viability to support such a project, he instead tried to go up against them.

So don't come cry to me about "oh the people this" and "oh the people that". It's not the NHL's fault, but Medvedev's fault. It's his own fault since the beginning so why don't you whine against him instead.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:06 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Korneev is Markov 2.0
In Korneev's dreams maybe. Markov was the top defensemen in the RSL at the age of 20, Korneev has been in the RSL/KHL for 7 years and still hasn't won the top defensemen award.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
In Korneev's dreams maybe. Markov was the top defensemen in the RSL at the age of 20, Korneev has been in the RSL/KHL for 7 years and still hasn't won the top defensemen award.
Wasn't Markov still a centerman at that age?? Didn't he turn into a Dman at about 21-22?? Maybe I have a faulty memory, but I'm sure he wasn't so young when they turned him into one. And wouldn't that make him winner of that award when he just turned into a Dman?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:13 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wasn't Markov still a centerman at that age?? Didn't he turn into a Dman at about 22-23?? Maybe I have a faulty memory, but I'm sure he wasn't so young when they turned him into one.
no he was the top D in the RSL at 19/20 and 20/21 for Dynamo and the next year he was over here.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:21 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Considering he loses 0% in taxes, as opposed to between 35%-50% that players in nhl cities lose, he's still no worse off financially over there.
The personal tax rate is 13% in Russia. Still a lot less, but not 0% unless hockey players have special status?

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Belso

Quote:

Zurg, look up xenophobia. Here, I'll do it for you..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/xenophobia

If someone was a xenophobe, he would want the KHL to be successful to have have all Russians go to Russia because they are afraid of them here..

Some people want the KHL to fail so that Russian players come here.. Explain to me how that is a FEAR of someone different? Wanting them to come "Here" is not showing fear.

Have you read the posts? Posters are drooling over the chance to have Russians players come here! No one's being a Xenophobe.

Old
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
no he was the top D in the RSL at 19/20 and 20/21 for Dynamo and the next year he was over here.
I think the talent level has increase in the KHL/RSL over the past few years. I'm not saying it wasn't a good league when Markov played, but I do think the league is a lot better now.

Korneev, in my opinion, was a top-2 defenseman for Team Russia at the WC.

I have only seen 1-game this season, but from the stats he seems to be struggling. But I have no idea, because I haven't go to see a lot of KHL games this season.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
The personal tax rate is 13% in Russia. Still a lot less, but not 0% unless hockey players have special status?
So they'd be losing 45% of their salary..

So if I guy, like Korneev was signed at $3M per year.. he'd be getting about $1.35M.. which is quite the huge pay-cut.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Fair enough, while Korneev may not have Markov's ceiling, he plays the same game, and he plays it well...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Fair enough, while Korneev may not have Markov's ceiling, he plays the same game, and he plays it well...
I've never seen him play, but they way some of you are describing him, and by his stats in the last two years, it does seem to be an interesting acquisition...

Old
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Mcguire a few weeks ago on the team 1200 called Emelin one of the best players in the world not playing in the NHL right now, how good is this guy really. I know McGuire is always a little over the top, but he does know is prospects, Ive read lots of good info on good tidbits on this guy, who here as actually seen Emelin and can comment on his potential, I keep hearing kasparitus type of player.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Considering he loses 0% in taxes, as opposed to between 35%-50% that players in nhl cities lose, he's still no worse off financially over there.
Not exactly, 13% to be exact. Not surprised, they tried to make a big splash but it might have been to big to start.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

So if I guy, like Korneev was signed at $3M per year.. he'd be getting about $1.35M.. which is quite the huge pay-cut.
The 30% cut-back is a kick in the teeth but NHL players might also be facing a loss of their escrow (13.5% of salary) as well if things continue to tail off.

I'm not a tax expert but the most you're likely to pay in the US in personal tax is 33% after deductions. That's 20% more than Russia but that 20% does buy you something even if it is from a social perspective (education, cleaner air, good roads, etc.). In Canada the difference is more but health care can be thrown in as a benefit.

The reason most NHL-drafted Russians are playing in Russia is due to higher salary and cultural comforts, not taxes.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
In Buturlin I believe

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:25 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Amazing how people seem to cheer for underdogs. Why get all excited about Korneev when Kasparait... euh I mean Emelin may be here next year? HE'S the guy we should be excited about.
You don't seem to follow our prospects very closely. Inform yourself before posting, it helps.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:28 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

We win we win. The days of stolen players are going to slowly come to an end.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn3 View Post
We win we win. The days of stolen players are going to slowly come to an end.
HA HA HA!! I had to break it to you but if anyone is "stealing" it's the NHL.

The whole point of staring the KHL was to bring players back, no?

Old
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Zine

I have no idea what RDS is talking about but everything coming out of Russia is saying 20%, not 30%. And, as of now, the reduction is just a proposal on how to deal with the financial crisis. The KHL players union is also getting into the act and saying they'll oppose any such reductions.

IMO, if the economy keeps tanking, everything will basically even out cross-leagues. KHL salaries are likely to be slashed 20% but NHLers are also likely to lose 13.5% in escrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

KHL salaries are negotiated as net take home pay.......so whatever Korneev is reportedly making is the actual amount he's pocketing.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Toro

Sure Oil prices are taking their toll and causing this crisis in the KHL but I believe the underlying problem is a lack of a healthy and large fan base. I mean what is the average attandence per game? around 4,000? Soccor is the sport of choice there, big time hockey is a pipe dream over there.

I guess we now know how much money they were willing to lose now.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Assuming we get emelin, korneev, valentenko, and perez, where do they all fit? I'm not sure telling perezhogin we got a 3rd line spot waiting for him will entice him. Valentenko, well, I think he's gone, at least for a while. Emelin plays games, and Korneev well, unless anyone has any news, I've never heard of him even suggesting he's coming...ever.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
HA HA HA!! I had to break it to you but if anyone is "stealing" it's the NHL.

The whole point of staring the KHL was to bring players back, no?
Forget it Belso, they just don't get it.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

This just in:

The Salary hits have made there way to the elite players of the KHL.
Jagr's salary is now so scares he has resorted to wearing a JOFA helmet, is wearing a RBK glove on the right hand and a NIKE/BAUER glove on the left hand.

Last edited by Sined: 12-22-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote