HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
  #1
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Trade Deadline

Who would you guys think Stars would try to get at the Trade Deadline?

Do you guys think the Stars will get anyone at Trade Deadline?

What would the Stars want on the team to replace Sean Avery and to get your team going again?


Thanks,
Ziggy Palffy33

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
  #2
starsfan4ever
Registered User
 
starsfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
If I had to bet, we would probably stand pat. If we were really out of it, probably could make a move for the future. Although, it would be hard to see anybody with historical ties here, Lehts, Zub, or Mo get traded.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
  #3
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Yup, and if they are still in it, then I imagine by that point they would make it a point to make a playoff run with the team that got them there and add Morrow when he is healthy.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:33 AM
  #4
SickDangles
Registered User
 
SickDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Morrow is OUT for the year.

SickDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:35 AM
  #5
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDangles View Post
Morrow is OUT for the year.
He would be back some time in the playoffs. If the team can make it, he'll play again this year.

I’m not even speculating that they will or won’t make the playoffs, FYI.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
  #6
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,635
vCash: 500
I don't expect Tom Hicks to open the wallet since the team is already well over budget.

So, I would say cap room, picks, or nothing.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
  #7
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
I don't expect Tom Hicks to open the wallet since the team is already well over budget.

So, I would say cap room, picks, or nothing.
Its not like we are 15 points out of a playoff spot. We are 3 points back of being back in the hunt. I do not want to give up prospects that happen to be named Benn, Sceviour and Tassone. All others can be moved as far as i am concerned.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
  #8
Dallasman
Registered User
 
Dallasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Its not like we are 15 points out of a playoff spot. We are 3 points back of being back in the hunt. I do not want to give up prospects that happen to be named Benn, Sceviour and Tassone. All others can be moved as far as i am concerned.
Or Phillip Larsen or Richard Bachman or Nico Sacchetti...

Tassone can be found elsewhere in a draft. He's having a really good season yes, but he's nothing close to Jamie Benn. If someone asked for Tassone, I'd be ok with trading him. I've watched some of his games this year. He didn't impress me all that much.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
  #9
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Its not like we are 15 points out of a playoff spot. We are 3 points back of being back in the hunt. I do not want to give up prospects that happen to be named Benn, Sceviour and Tassone. All others can be moved as far as i am concerned.
Playoff position has nothing to do with what GLU is talking about. Tom Hicks has much more money invested into this team than normal because of a rash of injuries. Add to that the Avery situation and the fact Hicks is paying him to not play, and it would make since that Hicks doesn't allow the team to just go out and spend freely with nearly $10 million, a portion of that at least, available because of LTIR.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
  #10
Dallasman
Registered User
 
Dallasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Playoff position has nothing to do with what GLU is talking about. Tom Hicks has much more money invested into this team than normal because of a rash of injuries. Add to that the Avery situation and the fact Hicks is paying him to not play, and it would make since that Hicks doesn't allow the team to just go out and spend freely with nearly $10 million, a portion of that at least, available because of LTIR.
The team also knows about the cap situation in the coming years so they are making sure they don't spend crazy amounts now to hinder their progress on signings in the future.
Still, picking up a d-man wouldn't hurt to much in my opinion.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:45 AM
  #11
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
The team also knows about the cap situation in the coming years so they are making sure they don't spend crazy amounts now to hinder their progress on signings in the future.
Still, picking up a d-man wouldn't hurt to much in my opinion.
Definitely not. They should, and hopefully will, go after players that will be her 2-5 years down the line. So, guys locked up long term or players that are still eligible to be RFA's.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
  #12
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Jussi Jokinen was waived by TB. I think I would take a chance and bring him back in, but I could see why they wouldn't bring him back though

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
  #13
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Jussi Jokinen was waived by TB. I think I would take a chance and bring him back in, but I could see why they wouldn't bring him back though
Really?? Wow. Didn't know he was laying a stinker in Tampa. Where would you fit him though? I thought this team was crying for some D.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
  #14
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Really?? Wow. Didn't know he was laying a stinker in Tampa. Where would you fit him though? I thought this team was crying for some D.
They can cry all they want, but it doesn't look like management will do d*** to provide it.

To be fair, what could they really do?

Fringe prospects like McIntryre will get you a guy like Sutherby maybe but not a NHL defenseman.

What would you want them to trade?

Ott? Lundqvist? Sawada? Draft Picks?

I'm still surprised they didn't at least take a flyer on some of the defenseman that has been waived. That would have been free at least.

Plus, big name guys that could impact the team aren't available yet. Even Florida has a chance to make the playoffs this year. The best we can hope for is Fistric to get healthy and start playing like he belongs in the NHL.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:46 PM
  #15
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,731
vCash: 50
He wasn't. Tampa is just clinically insane.

Personally I think it's a no-brainer that you claim Jokinen back, but I'm not going to get my hopes up since the waiver wire tends to defy common sense.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
  #16
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,556
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
They can cry all they want, but it doesn't look like management will do d*** to provide it.

To be fair, what could they really do?

Fringe prospects like McIntryre will get you a guy like Sutherby maybe but not a NHL defenseman.

What would you want them to trade?

Ott? Lundqvist? Sawada? Draft Picks?

I'm still surprised they didn't at least take a flyer on some of the defenseman that has been waived. That would have been free at least.
A move like this could, at the very least, provide the Stars with enough pieces to work out a deal for a blueliner. If they manage to land Jokinen they could just as easily flip him to a team lower down on the waiver list that wanted him, for one of their blueliners or something.

Of course I'd rather Jokinen stick around because I've always liked the guy.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:48 PM
  #17
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
A move like this could, at the very least, provide the Stars with enough pieces to work out a deal for a blueliner. If they manage to land Jokinen they could just as easily flip him to a team lower down on the waiver list that wanted him, for one of their blueliners or something.

Of course I'd rather Jokinen stick around because I've always liked the guy.
You can't trade a player picked up on waivers until offering him for free to the teams that placed a claim for him.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
  #18
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
They can cry all they want, but it doesn't look like management will do d*** to provide it.

To be fair, what could they really do?

Fringe prospects like McIntryre will get you a guy like Sutherby maybe but not a NHL defenseman.

What would you want them to trade?

Ott? Lundqvist? Sawada? Draft Picks?

I'm still surprised they didn't at least take a flyer on some of the defenseman that has been waived. That would have been free at least.

Plus, big name guys that could impact the team aren't available yet. Even Florida has a chance to make the playoffs this year. The best we can hope for is Fistric to get healthy and start playing like he belongs in the NHL.
I want defense, but I'm not ready to give up the barn (Benn) for a #1 defenseman yet. I rather see what you can get for a servicable #2 or #3 and try our luck fishing in the market. Zubov isn't retired, so he should hold the water until someone agrees to sign with the Stars in the next few years.

Someone mentioned the Jussi-Modano-Lehtinen line in another thread. I think the Stars should pick him up and test how he reponds to that. Hopefully he will produce like his rookie season. I think we can agree Jussi>Parrish.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
  #19
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I want defense, but I'm not ready to give up the barn (Benn) for a #1 defenseman yet. I rather see what you can get for a servicable #2 or #3 and try our luck fishing in the market. Zubov isn't retired, so he should hold the water until someone agrees to sign with the Stars in the next few years.

Someone mentioned the Jussi-Modano-Lehtinen line in another thread. I think the Stars should pick him up and test how he reponds to that. Hopefully he will produce like his rookie season. I think we can agree Jussi>Parrish.
I mentioned that line in the Trade Rumor thread mainly because it would be nice to if they could find a spark again. 3 years ago, or was it 4, that was Dallas' number one line.

I just doubt Dallas claims him.

EDIT: Also, I would be more than happy if they gave up on the failed Parrish experiment. I'd really like to see Sawada get a chance. Even over Wilson.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
  #20
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Parrish was frustrating as hell last night.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
  #21
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,731
vCash: 50
Yeah... it's kind of crazy to keep forcing Parrish on Modano's wing when Jokinen's available for free.

Neal-Ribs-Brunnstrom
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Sutherby-Ott-Petersen/Barch

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:37 PM
  #22
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Yeah... it's kind of crazy to keep forcing Parrish on Modano's wing when Jokinen's available for free.

Neal-Ribs-Brunnstrom
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Sutherby-Ott-Petersen/Barch
looks like a pretty solid lineup to me. Parrish simply has not worked out beyond the first game.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:38 PM
  #23
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Yeah... it's kind of crazy to keep forcing Parrish on Modano's wing when Jokinen's available for free.

Neal-Ribs-Brunnstrom
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Sutherby-Ott-Petersen/Barch
I could live with those lines. Hell, those are better than I thought they would look. Now for the D core... uh... that's a though thing there buddy..

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
  #24
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Yeah... it's kind of crazy to keep forcing Parrish on Modano's wing when Jokinen's available for free.

Neal-Ribs-Brunnstrom
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Sutherby-Ott-Petersen/Barch
those look like formidable lines

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
  #25
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
So no trades at all?
I thought some upgrades on D will help...
I still think you guys shouldn't worry about making the playoffs...
around now is when you guys start doing amazing..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.