HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Star Ballot Talk II - All talk goes here!

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
nexguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
no cheating going on? What about the fact that they "found" a workaround where you can enter the team name 10 times in the same SMS message and it counts as 10 messages? Thats pretty significant as it results in messages 10 times as fast
There is no proof that those votes actually count as 10 votes. But even if they do, you think only Pens fans are doing that? Habs fans have submitted MORE team txt messages than Pens fans. It's just that Crosby and Malkin are getting more than just votes from Pens fans...

Whitney has fewer votes than Komisarek...proof that Habs fans have voted more using the team txt msg than Pens fans.

Old
12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexguy View Post
Completely true. There is NO CHEATING going on. Mtl and Pit fans are simply taking advantage of the team txt message method. Unless there is a site that lets you skip captcha. Otherwise, no script can bypass it!

You can guess as to how many of these votes come from the txt msg vote. The lowest Mtl total is Tanguay with 639,000. You can bet that probably 610,000 of those are from the team txt message vote. Whitney has 568,000. You can bet that probably 539,000 of those came from the team txt message vote. Take 610,000 away from Mtl players and 539,000 away from Pit players and here is how they look:

Crosby 302716 (take away team txt vote from all other players and he would be in 1st)
Malkin 221443
Kovalev 40161
Koivu 39000
Tanguay 29,000

Markov 109759
Komisarek 46923
Gonchar 63700
Whitney 29859

Price 94031
Fleury 113405

Those numbers look much closer to reality
I really don't know where you're grabbing those numbers from. How can you "guess" that almost 95% of the votes are from text message?

Old
12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
There is no proof that those votes actually count as 10 votes. But even if they do, you think only Pens fans are doing that? Habs fans have submitted MORE team txt messages than Pens fans. It's just that Crosby and Malkin are getting more than just votes from Pens fans...

Whitney has fewer votes than Komisarek...proof that Habs fans have voted more using the team txt msg than Pens fans.
that isnt proof...i've done hundreds of votes by now and none of them through text messaging. and yes every time i have voted for all habs players

Old
12-18-2008, 07:36 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

opinion, not proof.

How do you KNOW it's trough txt messaging ?

Old
12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I know that nobody really cares about the West, but instead of the 3 Wings, Kane and Getzlaf have come out of no where and taken 1st and 2nd place

Old
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I feel like explaining...

sigh

By now I had hoped that EVERY hfboards poster was educated in the details of how the team txt message works...

First of all, I doubt if Whitney and Gonchar have even passed the 20,000 vote barrier much less the 500,000 vote barrier. Almost NO ONE has voted for either of these guys. Just as almost NO ONE has voted for Komisarek. These guys have picked up most all of their votes from the genius team txt message idea invented by the NHL. In case you did not know, here is how it works.

Just txt the word Pens to 81812 and you get a vote for ALL the 5 pens listed on the ballot. Do you think Whitney, Gonchar and MAF are on the minds of those voters?....nope.

Just txt the word Canadiens to 81812 and you get a vote for ALL the 5 Mtl players. Do you think Komisarek is on the minds of those voters?...nope.

If Sykora had made it on the ballot instead of Whitney...then Sykora would be 3rd in voting. Not because people are voting for him...but because he is getting the Pens vote.

WHY people keep talking about Whitney/Gonchar/Komisarek/Price is amazing.

To show this...there are graphs of the vote tallies for the Mtl players. Every player has virtually the exact same voting curve. Almost no deviations. As for the Pens...Crosby and Malkin are getting votes from lots of people who are not Pens fans...so their vote curves are going up faster than Gonch/Whit/MAF(who share the same voting curve). Almost no one is voting for the Mtl players except for Mtl fans so those players voting curves are almost identical.

Umh, HELLO??!?!?

If the league wide voting for Crosby and Malkin was so high, Ovy would be much higher than he is right now. 70 to 80% of the votes for Pits players are coming from Pits fans. Your analysis is assuming that all the voting is done by text messaging, when the voting site is highly used too, where not all the players can be chosen. The reason why the voting curbs are similar for Habs players is that they are all on the ballot. Also, discounting league wide votes, if it were a system of one vote per user, Crosby or Malkin or Ovy might get passed by a Habs player. That's the whole point. Cheating or no cheating, the Habs have the most fans, more than Pittsburg and more than Washington. Why do you think Markov won the voting last year altho he had no all-star reputation around the league? ask many Habs fans and they'll tell you they voted and didn't cheat. For all the Pitts players to reach the Habs so quickly, in about 2 weeks, there is definetly something going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I really don't know where you're grabbing those numbers from. How can you "guess" that almost 95% of the votes are from text message?
His mean bottom told him. No kiddin.

Reality check NexGuy. You are making assumptions. especially considering the numbers you are giving. I hope you realize Markov dominated the entire voting last year, without the text messaging. He finished close to 300k votes. So that means that at least 30-40% comes from the website voting, if not more, as this voting method is now better known league-wide by the fans. If Markov beat Crosby for the number of votes last year, when the ASG wasn't even in Montreal... don't you think that puts kinda big dent in your little pet theory???

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-18-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old
12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
nexguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Umh, HELLO??!?!?

If the league wide voting for Crosby and Malkin was so high, Ovy would be much higher than he is right now. 70 to 80% of the votes for Pits players are coming from Pits fans. Your analysis is assuming that all the voting is done by text messaging, when the voting site is highly used too, where not all the players can be chosen. The reason why the voting curbs are similar for Habs players is that they are all on the ballot. Also, discounting league wide votes, if it were a system of one vote per user, Crosby or Malkin or Ovy might get passed by a Habs player. That's the whole point. Cheating or no cheating, the Habs have the most fans, more than Pittsburg and more than Washington. Why do you think Markov won the voting last year altho he had no all-star reputation around the league? ask many Habs fans and they'll tell you they voted and didn't cheat. For all the Pitts players to reach the Habs so quickly, in about 2 weeks, there is definetly something going on there.

His mean bottom told him. No kiddin.

Reality check NexGuy. You are making assumptions. especially considering the numbers you are giving. I hope you realize Markov dominated the entire voting last year, without the text messaging. He finished close to 300k votes. So that means that at least 30-40% comes from the website voting, if not more, as this voting method is now better known league-wide by the fans. If Markov beat Crosby for the number of votes last year, when the ASG wasn't even in Montreal... don't you think that puts kinda big dent in your little pet theory???
Ovy WOULD BE in 3rd place if you took away all of Mtl and Pit's and Wsh's team txt message votes. Txt voting is much faster and much easier for people to do. Dont need a computer. Dont need an NHL account. Dont need to bother with the time consuming flash voting page.

The reason I think the vast majority of Whitney's votes are from the team txt vote is due to the number of votes he got in previous seasons and the number of votes other comparable players are getting this season(same with Komisarek). Markov gets lots of non Mtl votes because he is deserves them...just like Crosby and Malkin. Even if Mtl has more fans than Pit and Wsh...they do not have more fans than Crosby Malkin + Pit fans.

If you think my assumptions are incorrect..what do you think is the pct of Pit and Mtl votes that are team txt votes? I guarentee you that Mtl has had MORE team txt msg votes than Pit.
Defense get more votes because there are fewer to choose from.

Old
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Delat

Wathever the problem is, it would be nice that we give it another shot to try to take our players up there...

Old
12-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1260
well i can only speak for myself but I don't own a cell ,so I can't vote over and over for the habs players on a cell . If I had a cell with unlimited texts I would ,but alas I don't so my one vote a minute on the web site means like nothing at all compared to texting. So if anyone is saying it's not because pens fans are cheating by text then you need to get you head checked ,because theirs no way injured players are being voted in by the rest of the league . I think about 500k votes are from texts for pens players ,and I'm guessing that because of how many more votes malkin and crosby have then the injured players. I could be way off but thats just my opinion .

what we need to do is get voting like 100-500 more vote per habs poster to show them cheat if you want but we're still going to out vote you through hard work . this is more to keep price a starter and kovy or koivu the third starter , because their is no way markov gets caught imho.
and if you have a cell with unlimited just vote as much as possible ,so lets give these pens fans hell guys and gals

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-19-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old
12-19-2008, 06:28 AM
grrrreg
Soft European

Quote:
I guarentee you that Mtl has had MORE team txt msg votes than Pit.
If that was the case, Montreal players would still be ahead. Just read this, there's the explanation.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...all-star-vote/

“It’s all from texting,” Meagher [NHL V.P.] says. “It’s very clear from our data that is how the Penguins players are getting their votes, as opposed to the voting on NHL.com.”

"Additionally, texting is not as popular in Canada where, until very recently, it was comparatively quite expensive. Cellphone companies’ unlimited text plans, common in the U.S., are just being introduced in Canada, and that has certainly allowed Pens fans to pile up the votes for their boys. “There’s just not a lot of texting in Quebec,” says Meagher, himself a Montreal native.
The inequality here is Penguins fans’ far greater access to one particular form of fan balloting that they can, if they choose, use without limit."

This is just to say Pens fans did not cheat. They cleverly used texting, because it's much more efficient. (I say cleverly because sending 10 messages at a time is clever. It's not against the rules.) This explains how they catched up.

Old
12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
nexguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Byrne View Post
well i can only speak for myself but I don't own a cell ,so I can't vote over and over for the habs players on a cell . If I had a cell with unlimited texts I would ,but alas I don't so my one vote a minute on the web site means like nothing at all compared to texting. So if anyone is saying it's not because pens fans are cheating by text then you need to get you head checked ,because theirs no way injured players are being voted in by the rest of the league . I think about 500k votes are from texts for pens players ,and I'm guessing that because of how many more votes malkin and crosby have then the injured players. I could be way off but thats just my opinion .

what we need to do is get voting like 100-500 more vote per habs poster to show them cheat if you want but we're still going to out vote you through hard work . this is more to keep price a starter and kovy or koivu the third starter , because their is no way markov gets caught imho.
and if you have a cell with unlimited just vote as much as possible ,so lets give these pens fans hell guys and gals
How is voting by txt message cheating? NHL.com itself is encouraging this idiotic method of voting.

Common NHL... one vote per e-mail address per day!

Old
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

vCash: 1260
well something that gives a fan base a clear advantage is the same as cheating in my books ,because if they made it one text a minute that would be fair 10 at a time is cheating . just because the nhl isn't stopping pens fans don't make it alright after all this is bettman's nhl .

Old
12-19-2008, 09:30 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Whatever, Pittsburgh is Bettman's anal love child. Don't expect anything less. I'm fine with it though, their bandwagon fans can have their fun until their team goes into tanking mode again and they are no longer fans of the Penguins. As is the vicious Pittsburgh cycle, when Bettman will have to step in and save their franchise again by giving them generational talents.

Let's just vote D'Agostini into the all-star game.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Ovy WOULD BE in 3rd place if you took away all of Mtl and Pit's and Wsh's team txt message votes. Txt voting is much faster and much easier for people to do. Dont need a computer. Dont need an NHL account. Dont need to bother with the time consuming flash voting page.

The reason I think the vast majority of Whitney's votes are from the team txt vote is due to the number of votes he got in previous seasons and the number of votes other comparable players are getting this season(same with Komisarek). Markov gets lots of non Mtl votes because he is deserves them...just like Crosby and Malkin. Even if Mtl has more fans than Pit and Wsh...they do not have more fans than Crosby Malkin + Pit fans.

If you think my assumptions are incorrect..what do you think is the pct of Pit and Mtl votes that are team txt votes? I guarentee you that Mtl has had MORE team txt msg votes than Pit.
Defense get more votes because there are fewer to choose from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrreg View Post
If that was the case, Montreal players would still be ahead. Just read this, there's the explanation.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...all-star-vote/

“It’s all from texting,” Meagher [NHL V.P.] says. “It’s very clear from our data that is how the Penguins players are getting their votes, as opposed to the voting on NHL.com.”

"Additionally, texting is not as popular in Canada where, until very recently, it was comparatively quite expensive. Cellphone companies’ unlimited text plans, common in the U.S., are just being introduced in Canada, and that has certainly allowed Pens fans to pile up the votes for their boys. “There’s just not a lot of texting in Quebec,” says Meagher, himself a Montreal native.
The inequality here is Penguins fans’ far greater access to one particular form of fan balloting that they can, if they choose, use without limit."

This is just to say Pens fans did not cheat. They cleverly used texting, because it's much more efficient. (I say cleverly because sending 10 messages at a time is clever. It's not against the rules.) This explains how they catched up.
LOL.... well it seems the NHL VP has just proven you wrong. Next time, don't try to make your assumptions sound like facts.

Also, they do cheat as the NHL acknowledged the trick they are doing with text messaging, getting ten votes per message, which IS cheating, and which was posted on their own boards.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Whatever, Pittsburgh is Bettman's anal love child. Don't expect anything less. I'm fine with it though, their bandwagon fans can have their fun until their team goes into tanking mode again and they are no longer fans of the Penguins. As is the vicious Pittsburgh cycle, when Bettman will have to step in and save their franchise again by giving them generational talents.

Let's just vote D'Agostini into the all-star game.
Then call him by his true name... Gary Buttman

Old
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Theran189

Their voting is getting stronger.

By tomorrow morning, only one Habs will be in front... Either Koivu or Kovalev.

Way to go Ryan Withney and Marc-André Fleury.

I said it again and again : that league is a joke.

And if I hear again that Pitt'sburg just has the most passionnate fans I'll juste travel to New York and kick all the Governors butt, keeping Sir Buttman for the very end!

Old
12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
habsfan56

how does the txt messaging work? do you get charged extra, do they send you junk, ...

Old
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
habsfan56

we need to start voting fast

Old
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Andy

I have unlimited text messaging, tell me what I have to do to get our habs up and I'll do it, my whole family has unlimited text-messaging, tell me.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
I have unlimited text messaging, tell me what I have to do to get our habs up and I'll do it, my whole family has unlimited text-messaging, tell me.
you type in ten times the code followed by Canadiens, hit resend everytime you want to send it.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
you type in ten times the code followed by Canadiens, hit resend everytime you want to send it.
DONE!

Old
12-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
DONE!
Do it as much as you can... you'll be able to log in almost 1k votes per day. If other people in your family can do it... all the better... unfortunetly, I can't.. but I still vote on the website.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrreg View Post
I don't see how this is any different than using bots or automatic scripts. It's clever all the same and its cheating as not all people go by the same rules and information. Does who do not know this trick only end up voting once per message, that is inequality. Habs should get their 20% votes back. This league is such a joke.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Andy

Quote:
I don't see how this is any different than using bots or automatic scripts. It's clever all the same and its cheating as not all people go by the same rules and information. Does who do not know this trick only end up voting once per message, that is inequality. Habs should get their 20% votes back. This league is such a joke.
I think if you get enough people to complain to the league they'll do something about it.

Old
12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I'm trying to find a way to send SMS from an internet browser.... could anyone help?

Closed Thread