HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carle is going to give up a lot of Breakaway's, Now and in the future....

Old
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
Carle is going to give up a lot of Breakaway's, Now and in the future....

If we have a problem with it, better trade him now. He is an offensive guy who doesn't have the speed to get back. Pair him with a stay at home defensemen to cover his ass.

Personally, I want him to pinch each and every play to create offense so he can make the great pass or shoot. That's why we have a goalie to bail him out occassionally. I don't want him afraid to use his strenghts because the goalie isn't up to snuff.

Am I Wrong? If so, okay I can accept. But that's how I would like to see him used....

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I wouldn't want him to pinch every time, but he does a very good job at pinching. It was both Coburn and Carle's fault twice last night. That pairing is horrendous. They have no chemistry. Pair Coburn back with Timonen and Carle with Vaananen and you got two potentially solid pairs.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I wouldn't say that's the last time we'll see Carle get burned....unfortunately, he's simply not the most defensive-minded defenseman.

However, I'm certainly not going to say it's going to happen "a lot." Not only was he just generally not playing well last night, but he also looked quite sluggish. He was the most sluggish of all the sluggish Flyers out there last night. I don't know what that was all about exactly...but I do know that it's not fair to get way down on Carle because of one game.

I'm just hoping that him looking sluggish was an odd circumstance and just a result of being tired for some reason...rather than it being some result of continuing to struggle with his recent injury. He wound up having a good game in his first one back as he redeemed himself with a some nice plays and a couple nice assists, but even in that game he had struggles early on and I thought he looked a bit slow.

I'd also agree that Coburn and Carle should probably not be together to start the next game. Timonen and Vaananen have been ok...but they'll probably need to be broken up to get Coburn and Carle broken up. For the Caps game, go with...

Timonen-Coburn
Vaananen-Carle
Alberts-Sbisa

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Banger

It's one bad game. The Habs have a lot of breakaway talent and they burned the Flyers a few times with long passes. No big deal, they just have to correct it. It hasn't been a problem since he's got here, I don't remember him giving up another breakaway in the 15 or so games he's played.

We also didn't get a ton of help between the pipes last night. You can't blame Nitty on the goals but a few big save would help.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
He had one bad game. I think we need to chill out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I personally am still looking forward to alot of the good Carle can do. Yeah, hes got some flaws right now, but hes still young.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Jester

The Coburn-Carle experiment is one I'm not fond of...particularly when Coburn is having his own struggles of late.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I'm with the others, I think a /thread is in need here. Carle has been our best defenseman on the ice several times since his arrival. Last night, I was pretty drunk for my birthday, but I don't think any player looked terrific. Sometimes, you've got to hand it to the other team, Montreal played well.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
agreed.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
flyersfan420

man he looked terrible last night... but i agree its only one gaem... most of the team looked terrible last night..

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Banger

who knows the flu has been going around the locker room.

Also, they were on a huge winning streak and were due for a stinker and Mtl was on a losing streak at home. It was one of those nights that I thought would be difficult before the puck dropped. Then they started with some of those ticky-tack calls and I knew we were in for it....

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
MsWoof

It's been more than one bad game. I am also in the camp that wants him split up with Coburn, it just isn't working. Coburn needs his confidence back and I think Timonen is the one that can help him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
rayearth

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:47 PM
CantSeeColors

A pairing of Carle and Parent could actually become a pretty beautiful thing in the coming years. Just wanted to throw that out there.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Coburn-Carle experiment is one I'm not fond of...particularly when Coburn is having his own struggles of late.
Bill Clement recently said that Stevens is very happy with the early chemistry between Carle and Coburn.

Coburn's funk won't last forever and Carle's still a relative newbie. If they're still paired together and making similar mistakes in March, then I'll be worried.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Said best.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
forzanerazzurri

To me it wasnt a result of too much pinching, (although that has been a big problem in the past with Carle). He carves way too wide and slow to get back. The problem was because Carle was flat out sleeping last night twice. He let Kovalev get in behind the defence on that one which should never happen at the NHL. When hes on the ice, watch for the cherry. Iginla is another player that hangs around the neutral zone when the team needs quick one. There are certain players you just need to play a little further back with. Carle is just not a smart hockey player at times.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
these are flyers fans we're talkign about here....

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
thunderhorse

Send a message via AIM to thunderhorse Send a message via MSN to thunderhorse Send a message via Skype™ to thunderhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I agree. I think Coburn needs a veteran linemate to steady him. Maybe it's his mental toughness or fortitude that's taking a hit without Hatcher/Timonen to back him, but he's got to get past that if he's to be an effective NHL defenseman. With Hatcher/Timonen backing him, he was much more free to play "his game" knowing his partner was very likely to cover his tail if he got caught.

thunderhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
mm6492

Coburn-Timmonen
Carle-Vannanen

Do it Stevens

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:36 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Coburn-Timmonen
Carle-Vannanen

Do it Stevens
i concur. coburn needs to be with timonen, and vaananen is responsible enough to cover for carle.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhorse View Post
I agree. I think Coburn needs a veteran linemate to steady him. Maybe it's his mental toughness or fortitude that's taking a hit without Hatcher/Timonen to back him, but he's got to get past that if he's to be an effective NHL defenseman. With Hatcher/Timonen backing him, he was much more free to play "his game" knowing his partner was very likely to cover his tail if he got caught.
I don't think it's anything negative like that. I think he's trying way too hard this year. Looks to me like he came into this year hearing the talk about how he was a stud in the making and wanted to go out there and be that stud, rather than just letting the game come to him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Coburn-Timmonen
Carle-Vannanen

Do it Stevens
yes we need it.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
To me it wasnt a result of too much pinching, (although that has been a big problem in the past with Carle). He carves way too wide and slow to get back. The problem was because Carle was flat out sleeping last night twice. He let Kovalev get in behind the defence on that one which should never happen at the NHL. When hes on the ice, watch for the cherry. Iginla is another player that hangs around the neutral zone when the team needs quick one. There are certain players you just need to play a little further back with. Carle is just not a smart hockey player at times.
Carle was coming off the bench on a change on the Kovalev goal. It's hard to fault him there. Coburn was there also. Carle made some bad decisions last night. He made a wide inside turn that took him out of position on the first goal. Which I think Nitty has to make that save. And he tried to throw the puck across ice, and it ended up a breakaway for Latandresse. If it got through, it would have been a break for the Flyers the other way. He should have made the safe play, and chipped it up the boards
Let's remember that Carle is a developing player. He's playing his 3rd Season. He is not a finished product. He is very talented and skilled. As he gets more experienced, the mental errors should be corrected. The Flyers Coaching staff does well with young players.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:38 PM
forzanerazzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Carle was coming off the bench on a change on the Kovalev goal. It's hard to fault him there. Coburn was there also. Carle made some bad decisions last night. He made a wide inside turn that took him out of position on the first goal. Which I think Nitty has to make that save. And he tried to throw the puck across ice, and it ended up a breakaway for Latandresse. If it got through, it would have been a break for the Flyers the other way. He should have made the safe play, and chipped it up the boards
Let's remember that Carle is a developing player. He's playing his 3rd Season. He is not a finished product. He is very talented and skilled. As he gets more experienced, the mental errors should be corrected. The Flyers Coaching staff does well with young players.
Then why is he playing 22 mins a game if hes developing.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote