HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

barefoot+skates=feet stink?

Old
12-18-2008, 11:34 PM
dude92

vCash: 500
barefoot+skates=feet stink?

ok guys what do you do? I used to wear thin socks, soccer ones and my feet still smelled but not that bad. Now I started barefoot and the smell is way too bad. yet I hear from other guys barefoot is the way to go. what do the pros do or any of you guys?

dude92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Ragss

Maybe get some anti-bacterial insoles? Like superfeet? Why are you going sockless anyways?

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Phoenix

I wear thin socks and my skates are surprisingly fairly odourless. My gloves and elbow pads top the smelliness pile.

Whether that's anything to do with sweat/skin/gear contact i'm not sure.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:22 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I wear NB Vapor socks and my skates don't smell. Granted I only play 1-2 a week tops, but make sure you air out the skates completely after every use (unlace a few eyelets, pull out the tongue, remove soles, hang upside down).

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude92 View Post
ok guys what do you do? I used to wear thin socks, soccer ones and my feet still smelled but not that bad. Now I started barefoot and the smell is way too bad. yet I hear from other guys barefoot is the way to go. what do the pros do or any of you guys?
It's all a matter of how you feel. If you like and prefer the feeling of being barfeoot, go for it.

Besides, many people I encounter in a dressing room already have plenty of nasty, stinky equipment anyway, so what's one more smell?

Not keeping your skates in a bag and letting them dry in the outside hockey bag air when you are not skating is probably your best bet. Febreeze probably wouldn't hurt either.

If I remember correctly, Paul Coffey skated barefoot, but I have no idea what he did for the smell. But seeing what an awesome player he was, I'm sure he could care less.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
noobman

I just wear regular socks, and they've never really bothered me.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Riverboat Gambler

I always preferred bare foot. It's a matter of personal preference. I don't think there is a proven way to go.

Hockey equipment stinks in general... so what if your skates stink. After they dry out they either stay in a locker or go in a bag.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Schenn Him

I always went barefoot in my skates, and they always smelled terrible. I had lots of teammates who wore socks and had terrible smelling skates too though.

Some people's feet just stink.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Socks really help the odor. People don't skate barefoot to control odor, it makes it much, much worse because all of your sweat is going directly into the skate rather then being absorbed by a sock.

People skate barefoot because they like the feel better. A lot of people swear it makes them better skaters, but that's really BS. It makes some people feel better when they skate. If you have no problems with skating with socks, I would say don't bother, especially if you notice and dislike the smell.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Rickety Cricket

I go barefoot and my skates and feet smell terrible

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Count me in the sockless and stinky category.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Stefan It Up

My toes freeze even with socks on. How do you pull off barefoot?

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:50 PM
rye&ginger

Letting them air out is key, and dry. The bacteria that causes the stink likes it wet in stale air.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
vivianmb

i dont wear socks. but my skates don't smell too bad because i remove the sole and hang them over the de-humidifier after each and every game.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Did it one season, never again.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:15 AM
RaoulDuke2k

Went barefoot once and my feet were cold as hell - even a thin sock gives some insulation and helps with odor.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Be kind to your skate sharpener, wear socks.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Be kind to your skate sharpener, wear socks.
What if you sharpen your own skates?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
What if you sharpen your own skates?
Be kind to yourself.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
MikeD

again, 3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Mist the inside of the skates and other equipment after each use and hang dry as you would normally. For removing already bad stink you will have to mist heavily and let dry, repeat and by the third treatment you should find the smell pretty much gone.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:15 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
again, 3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Mist the inside of the skates and other equipment after each use and hang dry as you would normally. For removing already bad stink you will have to mist heavily and let dry, repeat and by the third treatment you should find the smell pretty much gone.
i skate barefoot and use what Mike has been saying since ive joined HF and its works great.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
IanJebus

its so bad for you to go barefoot
do you like gang green? because thats what you can get. I used to work in a LHS and its always been recommended to wear thin socks
try the brand "Fox river hockey socks". they are amazing

IanJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJebus View Post
its so bad for you to go barefoot
do you like gang green? because thats what you can get. I used to work in a LHS and its always been recommended to wear thin socks
try the brand "Fox river hockey socks". they are amazing
Gangrene is a disorder of the circulatory system. Wearing socks or not will have nothing to do with it.

The smell is bacteria. If you control the bacteria, you of course control the smell. The bacteria come from your sweat.

Most "thin" socks don't hold the sweat in and they just pass right through into the skate material. That is what they are designed to do. They will actually cause more smell.

Cotton socks will absorb and hold onto the sweat. They are less comfortable but should pull the sweat out with your feet.

Some skates hold onto the moisture more then others. If you air your skates out totally, you should not have to many odor problems. You really need to focus on destroying the bacteria.

Your feet can smell with socks but most of us change socks very often so the bacteria doesn't build up.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Cool Beans Man

I used to sharpen skates at a pro shop and can tell you that you can definitely tell who wears socks with their skates and who doesn't. Definitely had some unpleasant moments with some of those pairs.

With that aside, and from what the owner of the store has told me, it is reccommended to wear socks. Aside from health reasons, going barefeet is actually bad for the sole of the skate itself. Health-wise, if you had cuts on your feet or anything like that, you could develop a staph infection and they can be really nasty. I would personally reccommend socks, but that's just me.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
MikeD

Thats the great part about the Alcohol spray. Rubbing alcohol kills Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA) and other bacteria. Its cheap and easy to apply and need not be at 100% strength to do the job.

Its also a great preventive. Ever visit a nursing home or emergency room/ hospital, local gym or any other area where Staph is known to lurk? Misting this over the hands and cloths(incidental contact) goes a long way in preventing an infection or transmission. Just brushing by a person who has a MRSA skin infection can transfer MILLIONS . Go visit your grandmother/mother/father at the nursing home and giving a hug good bye could mean bringing MRSA back to your home. Should a little one jump into your arms on greeting you when you get home, you inadvertently pass it on.

People have contracted MRSA infections simply by loaning their cell phone to a co-worker! A simple mist and wipe can do wonders to prevent this stuff.

Last edited by MikeD: 12-24-2008 at 03:44 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote