HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Move Chris Higgins??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2008, 11:28 PM
  #101
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
lol He's probably the next Ribeiro.Trade him and what you know . He will finish the next season with 90 pts.

The Higgins that everyone loved's , now everyne want to trade him because he was bleh for 30 match?

hey 90 % of the team suck right now it's not only higgins.Have you looked recently at pleka,Kostytin and Kovalev stats?

Geez .. Steve begin 's going to break kovalev goal per game this season.But i guess because higgins he's younger he's not untouchable like Kovalev?

What's next? Trade Carey Price because he's flue prone?
Ok dude... Because both clearly have the same talent... Sure bud...

With that many players to re-sign, Dagger knocking on the door, and if Lats finally proves long-term than what he did in the last 2 games is what we'll see from him, we've got to move someone. There are too many guys right now, and there's a hole on the D-Core. Brezzer ain't going to be 100% when March will come, and guys like Hamrlik and Bouillon are not getting younger either.

We need another D-Man, and we have too many forwards. The equation is simple. You've got to make some room.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:54 AM
  #102
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
S.Kostitsyn last year in the playoffs >>>>> Higgins last year in the playoffs


Sergei was one of the best forward during the team's short playoffs appearance, while "Mr. Stone Hands" Higgins was floating around as usual waiting for Sergei and Koivu to get in the corners and feed him the puck that he missed 98% of the time...


Sergei did play well last playoffs, I don't know why anyone would argue with that. However, I honestly think the Higgins comments are completely unjustified and just biased criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Ok dude... Because both clearly have the same talent... Sure bud...

With that many players to re-sign, Dagger knocking on the door, and if Lats finally proves long-term than what he did in the last 2 games is what we'll see from him, we've got to move someone. There are too many guys right now, and there's a hole on the D-Core. Brezzer ain't going to be 100% when March will come, and guys like Hamrlik and Bouillon are not getting younger either.

We need another D-Man, and we have too many forwards. The equation is simple. You've got to make some room.
I agree that we can't fit all our forwards after and at a certain point it becomes quality over quantity. What i don't understand is how one can even suggest lats will be anything more than higgins in his career based on two games. I thinl at this rate, lats has more of a chance of being an extra forward than higgins. Only reason lats would stay is because although not a true power forward, he still hits and adds to team toughness. Other than that, if you're talking about the better player, I think Higgins wins hands down on that one.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-19-2008 at 12:22 PM.
LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:01 AM
  #103
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree that we can't fit all our forwards after and at a certain point it becomes quality over quantity. What i don't understand is how one can even suggest lats will be anything more than higgins in his career based on two games. I thinl at this rate, lats has more of a chance of being an extra forward than higgins. Only reason lats would stay is because although not a true power forward, he still hits and adds to team toughness. Other than that, if you're talking about the better player, I think Higgins wins hands down on that one.
It's not only a matter of who's better. It's a matter of who will fetch the most in a trade.

However, I did not suggest any name. All what I know is that seeing this team's roster when everybody gets healthy, and if Dagger keeps it up, there are great chances that a trade is going to go down.

Plus the fact that J-Bouwmeester/trade rumors seem to heat up lately... After christmas, with all the quality UFAs around the league and all the players who will get moved, things are going to be CRAZY from there to the deadline. I. Can't. Wait.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:10 AM
  #104
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't think Higgins is going to be his whole career, but, he might because he's a valuable third line player a lot like Jere Lehtinen. He could formulate a dominant third line with Chipchura and Latendresse.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
  #105
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think Higgins is going to be his whole career, but, he might because he's a valuable third line player a lot like Jere Lehtinen. He could formulate a dominant third line with Chipchura and Latendresse.
Jere played first and second line for a long time. And Higgins, despite being a bit less effective on defense, his offensive stats are way better than Jere overall.

Higgins is not a 3rd liner. On most teams in this league, he's at least a 2nd liner. You just don't see 3rd liners with 27 goals, unless your team is jampacked with offensive talent.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
  #106
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Jere played first and second line for a long time. And Higgins, despite being a bit less effective on defense, his offensive stats are way better than Jere overall.

Higgins is not a 3rd liner. On most teams in this league, he's at least a 2nd liner. You just don't see 3rd liners with 27 goals, unless your team is jampacked with offensive talent.
Thing is that he played with our best center last year. It helps. Zednik scored 31 goals in 2002-2003 and can't really be considered as a top-6 player. While I agree that he's a top-6 forward, this is exactly where the problem is. Tanguay, Lang, Kovalev, Andrei Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec are ALL top-6 players, and while some may have a hard year, they all deserve more than bottom-6 minutes. Guys like Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn are also young 21-years-old players who will be top-6 players in a few years, maybe even this year if they keep on the progression (Latendresse seems to have taken his game to another step, I've never seen him play like he did the last two games).

You can't put offensive players who are as young as S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse on the 4th line, and you can't afford to put a guy like D'Agostini (who has been our best player in December in my opinion) on the bottom-6 with the tools he has.

Now, what are you doing? It's not that far-fetched to consider Higgins as being an expendable player, because all factors taken into consideration (age, contribution, talent, potential, salary, trade value), he's one of the first to come to mind. Put the fact that we desperately need another top-4 defenseman to be considered as a perenial contender into the mix, and you've got yourself an answer.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
  #107
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Thing is that he played with our best center last year. It helps. Zednik scored 31 goals in 2002-2003 and can't really be considered as a top-6 player. While I agree that he's a top-6 forward, this is exactly where the problem is. Tanguay, Lang, Kovalev, Andrei Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec are ALL top-6 players, and while some may have a hard year, they all deserve more than bottom-6 minutes. Guys like Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn are also young 21-years-old players who will be top-6 players in a few years, maybe even this year if they keep on the progression (Latendresse seems to have taken his game to another step, I've never seen him play like he did the last two games).

You can't put offensive players who are as young as S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse on the 4th line, and you can't afford to put a guy like D'Agostini (who has been our best player in December in my opinion) on the bottom-6 with the tools he has.

Now, what are you doing? It's not that far-fetched to consider Higgins as being an expendable player, because all factors taken into consideration (age, contribution, talent, potential, salary, trade value), he's one of the first to come to mind. Put the fact that we desperately need another top-4 defenseman to be considered as a perenial contender into the mix, and you've got yourself an answer.
At this rate, yes Higgins has more trade value. His salary is 1.7 mil right now though, bound to go up of course, doubt it will be that high though. Plek has similar value, I honestly would rather trade him next year.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
  #108
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Thing is that he played with our best center last year. It helps. Zednik scored 31 goals in 2002-2003 and can't really be considered as a top-6 player. While I agree that he's a top-6 forward, this is exactly where the problem is. Tanguay, Lang, Kovalev, Andrei Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec are ALL top-6 players, and while some may have a hard year, they all deserve more than bottom-6 minutes. Guys like Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn are also young 21-years-old players who will be top-6 players in a few years, maybe even this year if they keep on the progression (Latendresse seems to have taken his game to another step, I've never seen him play like he did the last two games).

You can't put offensive players who are as young as S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse on the 4th line, and you can't afford to put a guy like D'Agostini (who has been our best player in December in my opinion) on the bottom-6 with the tools he has.

Now, what are you doing? It's not that far-fetched to consider Higgins as being an expendable player, because all factors taken into consideration (age, contribution, talent, potential, salary, trade value), he's one of the first to come to mind. Put the fact that we desperately need another top-4 defenseman to be considered as a perenial contender into the mix, and you've got yourself an answer.

What does that have to do with anything I've said????



But if you actually want to argue about that, you must also consider that SKost, AKost, Pleks, Lats and Daggs are also expendable. It all depends on who you want to trade for and what the opposing team wants.

Altho, you better get used to the fact that Higgins won't be the one getting traded, as Gainey probably received many offers for him (as per the rumors) and yet he's still here.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 01:56 PM
  #109
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Keep Higgins. I am not a fan of trading all these young talented players for rentals.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  #110
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,186
vCash: 500
Obviously Higgins is underrated on this forum and I doubt whether Tanguay will reach 27 goals this season. IMO, d'Agostini has a higher upside. One way to avoid the logjam and keep within the cap would be to not offer Tanguay a raise. He's making $5.5M (or is is $5.75M?) this year. The money could be used to keep Higgins and d'Agostini with spare change left over for other signings.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:45 PM
  #111
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What does that have to do with anything I've said????



But if you actually want to argue about that, you must also consider that SKost, AKost, Pleks, Lats and Daggs are also expendable. It all depends on who you want to trade for and what the opposing team wants.

Altho, you better get used to the fact that Higgins won't be the one getting traded, as Gainey probably received many offers for him (as per the rumors) and yet he's still here.

Plekanec and Higgins are the most likely players to be traded in a package for a top defenseman.

Dagger is 22 and is currently giving us exactly what Higgins used to give to us a couple of years ago.

Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn and Andrei Kostitsyn are all younger than Higgins, are most likely to improve their game than him, and Andrei shows too much potential to ever be traded IMO.

Now everyone is expendable and there's no untouchables, althouggh, some players are most likely to get traded than others, Higgins and Plekanec being two of them.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
  #112
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Obviously Higgins is underrated on this forum and I doubt whether Tanguay will reach 27 goals this season. IMO, d'Agostini has a higher upside. One way to avoid the logjam and keep within the cap would be to not offer Tanguay a raise. He's making $5.5M (or is is $5.75M?) this year. The money could be used to keep Higgins and d'Agostini with spare change left over for other signings.
Tanguay is paid 5,25M this year (cap hit). And between Tanguay and Higgins, of course it's me, but I keep Tanguay and I use Higgins to get a top-4 defenseman. Nothing against the guy or the player, but he's not improving anymore. I don't know if he can still improve, but one thing is sure : He's not showing a lot of signs that he can. He's having a brutal season so far, I expected much better from him this year (60pts). We'll see, but if there's something, maybe the organization has overrated Chris by giving him the "A" too soon and trying to make him play the role of the team's 1st LW.

It all depends on his salary demands. If he asks for anything more than 3M, I'd try to deal him. We clearly have too many forwards, and Gainey already showed his colors and said to several journalists that he'll be looking for a defenseman. I don't know who's a goner, but Plekanec and Higgins are the most likely to get traded in my opinion.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
  #113
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
Plekanec and Higgins are the most likely players to be traded in a package for a top defenseman.

Dagger is 22 and is currently giving us exactly what Higgins used to give to us a couple of years ago.

Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn and Andrei Kostitsyn are all younger than Higgins, are most likely to improve their game than him, and Andrei shows too much potential to ever be traded IMO.

Now everyone is expendable and there's no untouchables, althouggh, some players are most likely to get traded than others, Higgins and Plekanec being two of them.
In your opinion


Also, you are talking of Higgins as tho its been at least 1-2 seasons that he doesn't show what he "used" to do, when in fact he got his best career numbers last year IN HIS THIRD SEASON playing alongside crappy Ryder. Sorry but Daggs has only played 9 games. You might wanna pipe down a bit before annointing him as a player at the same level as Higgins or Plekanec. You underestimate the importance of such players as Pleks or Higgins.

EDIT: And I just saw your other post above and want to correct something. Higgins IS still improving. Plekanec IS still improving. Players don't hit their prime until they reach 28-30.

Also, 25 year old players have still A LOT of room to improve and still a lot of untap potential to reach. Saying that these players "are more likely" to improve their game than him, and even Plekanec is ridiculous. They ARE 25 YEARS OLD.

I think you should realize that a 4th Dman doesn't cost that much all depending on who you want to get. Stuart didn't cost much for Detroit. Getting Bouwmeester??? Pipedream.

Also, Gainey is no fool hardy, and won't go and trade the future when the Habs have so many players becoming FA this summer. The only instance he would do that is to get a top notch* player like Bowm and even then, you better expect Lats or SKost going there way too.

Stop taking your fantasies for reality. We don't need to trade Higgins to get that 4th Dman, especially since Higgins won't cost much on his next contract, you have to keep such a player in the present economic situation.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:28 PM
  #114
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
In your opinion


Also, you are talking of Higgins as tho its been at least 1-2 seasons that he doesn't show what he "used" to do, when in fact he got his best career numbers last year IN HIS THIRD SEASON playing alongside crappy Ryder. Sorry but Daggs has only played 9 games. You might wanna pipe down a bit before annointing him as a player at the same level as Higgins or Plekanec. You underestimate the importance of such players as Pleks or Higgins.

EDIT: And I just saw your other post above and want to correct something. Higgins IS still improving. Plekanec IS still improving. Players don't hit their prime until they reach 28-30.

Also, 25 year old players have still A LOT of room to improve and still a lot of untap potential to reach. Saying that these players "are more likely" to improve their game than him, and even Plekanec is ridiculous. They ARE 25 YEARS OLD.

I think you should realize that a 4th Dman doesn't cost that much all depending on who you want to get. Stuart didn't cost much for Detroit. Getting Bouwmeester??? Pipedream.

Also, Gainey is no fool hardy, and won't go and trade the future when the Habs have so many players becoming FA this summer. The only instance he would do that is to get a top notch* player like Bowm and even then, you better expect Lats or SKost going there way too.

Stop taking your fantasies for reality. We don't need to trade Higgins to get that 4th Dman, especially since Higgins won't cost much on his next contract, you have to keep such a player in the present economic situation.

I disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but it's your right to think so like it's my right to disagree.

Most players hit their prime at 28-30 years old, but this is not the case of every player. Plekanec has been all right last year, but let's not fool ourselves. Chipchura is NHL-ready, and Plekanec's great season last year was mainly a product of Kovalev's brilliance on the power play. He's still a very good player, but maybe not a 70 points player like some could think. More like a good honest 2nd line center who can get 55 pts per year, and who may get 75 points one or two times in his career.

Higgins has declined a lot in the last two years, and while he's got his best numbers last year, he still didn't play like he was before his injury in 2006-2007. Before this, he was much more aggressive, constantly pursuing the puck possesser, and forechecking like a crazy. He definately has less grit in his game, and it's sad, because he could be so good if he came back to what he was doing a couple of years ago. See D'agostini? Higgins should always play like this kid is right now.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:55 PM
  #115
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
I disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but it's your right to think so like it's my right to disagree.

Most players hit their prime at 28-30 years old, but this is not the case of every player. Plekanec has been all right last year, but let's not fool ourselves. Chipchura is NHL-ready, and Plekanec's great season last year was mainly a product of Kovalev's brilliance on the power play. He's still a very good player, but maybe not a 70 points player like some could think. More like a good honest 2nd line center who can get 55 pts per year, and who may get 75 points one or two times in his career.

Higgins has declined a lot in the last two years, and while he's got his best numbers last year, he still didn't play like he was before his injury in 2006-2007. Before this, he was much more aggressive, constantly pursuing the puck possesser, and forechecking like a crazy. He definately has less grit in his game, and it's sad, because he could be so good if he came back to what he was doing a couple of years ago. See D'agostini? Higgins should always play like this kid is right now.

Sorry, but to say that Plek's numbers is the product of Kovy's brilliance on the PP is ridiculous and an ignorant statement to make. Did you watch the games at all last year? Did you see what he did with AKost. Also, Akost is just one year younger than both of them and he IS ALSO struggling.

As for Higgins, he is progressing, as is Plekanec. Like a lot of other people here, I will say that he is constantly being underated. And to compare him to a kid who has only played 10 games in the NHL at this point, is folly. When you are saying a "couple of years ago" is only two years ago. And he's been like that at some points. All young players under 27-28 usually are progressing to find more consistancy. Both Higgins and Plekanec haven't finished progressing. Jeeze, aside numbers for Higgins??? Did you see all the chances he missed last year? Besides that, his play was very good and an improvement over the season before where he was injured.

It's not because you have Daggs in the lineup that you don't need Higgins. Actually, you need both. Funny tho, you talk of trading Higgins because we have similar players, yet isn't it the same with Lats? As for Chipchura replacing Plekanec, he is FAR from that point, IF he even reaches the point where Plekanec is.

All that aside, you seem to not understand the situation fully. The FAs are the ones who are gonna get replaced by the youngsters. Not the youngsters who started to bloom 1-2 years ago. Chipchura can stay in Ham for another year after this one and still be exempt from waivers. We don't need to rush things like you are pretending. That's why BG will probably not get a Bowm kinda player... he'll get a solid 4th dman for a fair asking price. Unless he gets offered the moon, but you can keep your fingers crossed tightly.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:09 PM
  #116
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
IMO Higgins could be an elite 3rd liner. I see no reason why he can't pot 25 goals while playing 3rd line, PK, and PP...

I think the biggest problem with Higgins is that people think he is something he is not, a 40 goal scorer. Higgins works hard, plays smart and is one of the best defensive players on our team, combine that with his nose for the net and I think next year Higgins and Chipchura could form 2/3 of the leagues top 3rd line.
if only.

I love the guy ... but he wouldn't be able to put the puck in an empty soccer net ... if he had a better finish , he would be a proven 30 goals scorer...

plays smart ? it never really caught my attention more than any other players on the team playing on the top 3 lines... (excluding lats here)

one thing I know is that Dagostini , right now , playing the same type of game , is far better than higgins imo , and he has a better finish.

if you are to put a 3m+ player on the 3rd line, let it be lang and not higgins. I agree he would be a force on the 3rd line, but that money could be spent somewhere else, with greater impact.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:22 PM
  #117
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I'm telling you... if we picked up Jokinen off waivers, I'd trade Higgins in a package deal to see a top 4 defenseman coming our way.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
  #118
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,808
vCash: 500
Yeah. Let's move Higgins.

I love leaving the playoffs before the conference finals.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:03 PM
  #119
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah. Let's move Higgins.

I love leaving the playoffs before the conference finals.

Like if Higgins could have any impact in the playoffs... The guy isn't going to win you anything. How hard is that to understand geez ? A 3rd liner who floats around 85% of the time with stone hands to complete his package is what you call a playoff performer ? I guess that you don't have very high standards...


Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:23 PM
  #120
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah. Let's move Higgins.

I love leaving the playoffs before the conference finals.
I get your point, but actually, Higgins was one of our poorest players in the last playoffs.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
  #121
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Like if Higgins could have any impact in the playoffs... The guy isn't going to win you anything. How hard is that to understand geez ? A 3rd liner who floats around 85% of the time with stone hands to complete his package is what you call a playoff performer ? I guess that you don't have very high standards...

I don't see your point. Honestly, higgins had 5 points in 12 games. Not superstar numbers, he's no claude lemieux but he didn't dissapear.

Either way, let me get this straight, a '3rd liner who floats around 85% of the time with stone hands' scores 27 goals a year? Jesus, this guy must have some unreal talent. I mean, he's only trying 15% of the time, has horrible hands apparently, and he makes 27 goals? UNREAL! Imagine if he worked 45% of the time, he'd score 81 goals. Ovechkin who?

Thanks to your excellent analysis of higgins because of your in depth research and accurate assesment, I have concluded higgins is a superstar in the waiting, and all we have to do is convince him to not 'float' 85% of the time and he'll turn into the next wayne gretzky.

Of course, there could also be the possibility that he's a 2nd line player at the least who actually can score 30ish goals(without 'stone hands') as he showed by not having an NHL season under 20 goals. But, that's way too far fetched I guess.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
  #122
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 500
Dump Sergei, he is to small to do anything in the playoffs

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
  #123
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Like if Higgins could have any impact in the playoffs... The guy isn't going to win you anything. How hard is that to understand geez ? A 3rd liner who floats around 85% of the time with stone hands to complete his package is what you call a playoff performer ? I guess that you don't have very high standards...

Well than Sergei Kostitsyn being my favourite prospect before making the club last year must means he sucks too.

Uh oh, time to change your name!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
  #124
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,106
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm View Post
I get your point, but actually, Higgins was one of our poorest players in the last playoffs.
I don't know about poorest, he had a similar PPG in his playoff career to his season PPG. He stays the same. There's guys like Claude Lemieux who break out, but Higgins doesn't dissapear. What you see is what you get, he's no superstar but he does what his contract and previous performances suggest he would do. About 0.5PPG in the playoffs. Not a problem for a guy making 1.7 mil. If he were a superstar getting 5, then yes, major problem.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
  #125
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Sorry, but to say that Plek's numbers is the product of Kovy's brilliance on the PP is ridiculous and an ignorant statement to make. Did you watch the games at all last year? Did you see what he did with AKost. Also, Akost is just one year younger than both of them and he IS ALSO struggling.
Plekanec is having a though season, and while I agree he's been one of our best even strenght players in the last few years, he still didn't do a lot in the playoffs. He's a good player, maybe not as good as people expect him to be though.

Quote:
As for Higgins, he is progressing, as is Plekanec. Like a lot of other people here, I will say that he is constantly being underated. And to compare him to a kid who has only played 10 games in the NHL at this point, is folly. When you are saying a "couple of years ago" is only two years ago. And he's been like that at some points. All young players under 27-28 usually are progressing to find more consistancy. Both Higgins and Plekanec haven't finished progressing. Jeeze, aside numbers for Higgins??? Did you see all the chances he missed last year? Besides that, his play was very good and an improvement over the season before where he was injured.
Before being hurt, Higgins was amazing. Don't tell me you actually beleive he's playing the same way he did before? He's by far less aggressive and now seems to stay on the permiter. However, what brought Chris to the NHL is his aggressivity and his intensity. I remember, he was so hard to play against in his first year. He was always on the puck like a magnet. That's why I say D'agostini reminds me Higgins. I never said that he's a better player than Higgins at this point, but he's obviously playing the same type of game that Higgins played in his debut. Now, Higgins tries to overhandle the puck and forgot what brought him where he is. Watch D'agostini. Higgins was playing the EXACT same game when he was a rookie. He should have sticked to it.

Quote:
It's not because you have Daggs in the lineup that you don't need Higgins. Actually, you need both. Funny tho, you talk of trading Higgins because we have similar players, yet isn't it the same with Lats? As for Chipchura replacing Plekanec, he is FAR from that point, IF he even reaches the point where Plekanec is.
Latendresse is far from being the same type of player than D'agostini and Higgins. Can you name me a lot of 230 pounds, 6'2'' forwards who play a physical game, have more than decent hands, and play in the NHL at 21?

Lucic... than? Bernier was playing in the NHL at 22 or 23, but at 21, I'm not sure...

Anyway, we have 1 player like Latendresse. And there are not many in the NHL. We have to be patient with him.

D'agostini and Higgins are exactly the same type of players in my opinion. And since we want to get a great defenseman to have a shot in the playoffs, it's pretty logical that if Gainey trades someone, he'll trade player who can be replaced by another one playing the same type of game.

As for Chipchura, maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but he's definately ready to play full-time in the NHL. He's great in the AHL this year, had a decent training camp, and in his game with Montreal this year was also looking great in my opinion. Centers like Chipper are money in the playoffs.

Quote:
All that aside, you seem to not understand the situation fully. The FAs are the ones who are gonna get replaced by the youngsters. Not the youngsters who started to bloom 1-2 years ago. Chipchura can stay in Ham for another year after this one and still be exempt from waivers. We don't need to rush things like you are pretending. That's why BG will probably not get a Bowm kinda player... he'll get a solid 4th dman for a fair asking price. Unless he gets offered the moon, but you can keep your fingers crossed tightly.
Why are the FAs the ones who have to be replaced by younger players? At some extent, it may be true, but as far as I know...

Nobody in the system can replace Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay right now. I'd have been tempted to say Andrei Kostitsyn, but he's not convincing at all this year. the forwards we have down there in Hamilton are still 2 or 3 years away from being NHLers, excluding Chipchura of course.

I'm not saying that we should rush our young players, but those who are ready to play in the NHL right now should stay, and those who can be replaced can get traded somewhere else to fill a need.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.