HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most viewed Saturday game > Canadiens/Capitals.

Old
12-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Chet-Nick

vCash: 500
Most viewed Saturday game > Canadiens/Capitals.

Yes. I did combine the HNIC audience of 942,000 (includes Ottawa/Tampa Bay) and the 865,000 who watched Montreal/Washington on RDS. That adds up to 1,807,000.

Take away the Senators and Lightning game. You're probably looking at 1,700,000. Give or take a few thousand either way. Can the Leafs pull off those coast-to-coast numbers on a Saturday? Maybe if they're playing the Canadiens.

When Toronto hosted Washington a couple weeks ago. The total HNIC crowd (including Montreal/New Jersey) was 1,220,000.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
mrCoffea*

the way you worded that in the title makes it seem like the most viewed saturday game did better numbers than the Montreal/Washington game

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
the way you worded that in the title makes it seem like the most viewed saturday game did better numbers than the Montreal/Washington game
Sorry if the title was somewhat misleading. I should have wrote "Most viewed Saturday game this year > Canadiens/Capitals."

Would have that helped?

By combining Montreal's CBC and RDS numbers that evening. One really gets a better indication of how much national attention their game received.

Old
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Well it's not like Toronto has a channel with 82 Leafs games that you can combine with their CBC standings, so it's pretty cheap to add RDS too. Unless LeafsTV shows 82 games I have no idea

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I think it's fair to add RDS as the Leafs will never have the same game on 2 different channels. Whenever they are on it is exclusive to that network and the only way you can watch it.

This shows somewhat that the Habs are a big draw across the country, despite what CBC has been shovelling down our throats for years.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
marc88

i was at that game!

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:04 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc88 View Post
i was at that game!
good to know, the ratings would have been even better if you were not.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Well it's not like Toronto has a channel with 82 Leafs games that you can combine with their CBC standings, so it's pretty cheap to add RDS too. Unless LeafsTV shows 82 games I have no idea
Fact of the matter is. When Toronto is the main HNIC game (with Montreal and Ottawa on the CBC regional telecasts). The audience has ranged from 1,000,000 - 1,300,000. This is influenced by traditional/divisional rivals.

Montreal doesn't quite have the same following in English Canada as the Maple Leafs do. However, there still are throngs of Canadiens fans living outisde of Quebec. Especially in Ontario. Throw in the Habs fans from Quebec. Bingo! An impressive CBC/RDS showing.

On the (Saturday) 27th of this month. Toronto is off again and Montreal will face Pittsburgh. Watching the Penguins has more appeal, to the average Canadian, than the Captials. Look for over 1,000,000 tuning to CBC. I'm sure the RDS numbers will be high too.

Old
12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Judge Sauer*

Not surprising, these kinds of numbers were around last year also

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Yes. I did combine the HNIC audience of 942,000 (includes Ottawa/Tampa Bay) and the 865,000 who watched Montreal/Washington on RDS. That adds up to 1,807,000.

Take away the Senators and Lightning game. You're probably looking at 1,700,000. Give or take a few thousand either way. Can the Leafs pull off those coast-to-coast numbers on a Saturday? Maybe if they're playing the Canadiens.

When Toronto hosted Washington a couple weeks ago. The total HNIC crowd (including Montreal/New Jersey) was 1,220,000.
Nice numbers, but the fact is RDS DOES exist and CBC doesn't get their audience in their advertising numbers.

The only number that counts is the pure CBC numbers when they show Montreal or Toronto.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 07:02 AM
MrNasty

We can't really compare apples to apples for this one game. If the Leafs were playing that night the numbers would have been lower as I am sure many Leaf/hockey fans watched the Habs because that was all that was on. You would need to compare the ratings of a Saturday night game when TO is on HNIC and Montreal doesn't play the same night.

What were the ratings Thursday night when they were on CBC and TO was playing Boston? I am sure Montreal gets high ratings but using this game as an example doesn't really paint a clear picture.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
.What were the ratings Thursday night when they were on CBC and TO was playing Boston? I am sure Montreal gets high ratings but using this game as an example doesn't really paint a clear picture.
In a way, it does. Canadians - no matter what team they cheer for - will watch HNIC out of habit. This is something we were all raised with. A part of our culture. Just like Americans with NCAA football on Saturday and NFL the following day.

I'm not doubting there were some Toronto fans watching Montreal/Washington. This also sends a message to the CBC that people will still watch HNIC whether the Leafs are playing, or not.

Old
12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Heh.. I honestly had no idea you had created a thread on the same topic Chet-Nick. Waiting all week for BBM to release the numbers too?

Cheers again on a well presented argument last night.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Heh.. I honestly had no idea you had created a thread on the same topic Chet-Nick. Waiting all week for BBM to release the numbers too?

Cheers again on a well presented argument last night.
Thanks, Squiffy. The HNIC numbers I knew on Tuesday. I have friends in high places. BTW: Now that you've entered the Montreal Canadiens board. Welcome to reality and pride.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Thanks, Squiffy. The HNIC numbers I knew on Tuesday. I have friends in high places. BTW: Now that you've entered the Montreal Canadiens board. Welcome to reality and pride.
So next time I'm waiting 5 days for some ratings data I PM you? Duly noted.

I'm around occasionally, I was posting a fair bit during the summer on this board. I still read it a fair bit, but the Toronto board takes a lot of my time on HF up.

I like to think I'm not hated on this board, I've had some great discussions here. Kinda like how TU used to post over here, expect he genuinely liked the Habs as a second team. I admit to no such type of feelings, but like I've said before I do respect the Hab franchise, even if I don't like the team.

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:42 PM
dre2112

RDS steals a lot of viewers from CBC all around Canada even though one is a pay service in a different language and the other is free and in their mother tongue. That should tell you all you need to know about Can't Broadcast Canadiens station

dre2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Pr3Va1L

MTL - Toronto numbers on a saturday would be THROUGH THE ROOF...

Probably something like more than 2 millions?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote