HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Habs should go after Spezza

Old
12-19-2008, 04:08 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
The Habs should go after Spezza

The Habs should go after Spezza and here is why:

Montreal needs size, a bigger more dangerous presece down the middle and a game breaker. Spezza is all of these things and he would be perfect in Montreal!

To Montreal

- Jason Spezza
- 2nd round draft pick on 2009

To Ottawa

- Tomas Plekanec
- Jaroslav Halak
- David Fischer
- 1st round draft pick in 2009

Why it makes sense for Montreal:

- We need size, a bigger presence, a game breaker and skill down the middle
- We are closer to winning the cup than Ottawa
- We can make the move and sacrifice prospects and picks at this point in our plan

Why it makes sense for Ottawa:

- They are contimplating a rebuild after this season
- They need goaltending depth and a star prospect in the system
- They can use Plekanec at centre who is NHL ready
- They can take David Fischer (who isn't in our plans anymore)

What do you guys think? I would rather go after Spezza who is under contract for a few more seasons as opposed to trade away assets for Bouwmeester and have him sign somewhere else come July.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The Habs should go after Spezza and here is why:

Montreal needs size, a bigger more dangerous presece down the middle and a game breaker. Spezza is all of these things and he would be perfect in Montreal!

To Montreal

- Jason Spezza
- 2nd round draft pick on 2009

To Ottawa

- Tomas Plekanec
- Jaroslav Halak
- David Fischer
- 1st round draft pick in 2009

Why it makes sense for Montreal:

- We need size, a bigger presence, a game breaker and skill down the middle
- We are closer to winning the cup than Ottawa
- We can make the move and sacrifice prospects and picks at this point in our plan

Why it makes sense for Ottawa:

- They are contimplating a rebuild after this season
- They need goaltending depth and a star prospect in the system
- They can use Plekanec at centre who is NHL ready
- They can take David Fischer (who isn't in our plans anymore)

What do you guys think? I would rather go after Spezza who is under contract for a few more seasons as opposed to trade away assets for Bouwmeester and have him sign somewhere else come July.

I'd trade for spezza , ask georges to kick the **** out of his arrogant , cocky little face, then trade him to atlanta, in a deal for kovalchuk

Last edited by THE HOFF: 12-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

David Fisher is finally playing up to his potential, but do other teams know that?

In any case Spezza has motivation issues, I don't see how that helps Montreal.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:22 PM
WestIslander

I would love Kovalchuk or Gaborik in Montreal but the problem is that after what happened with Hossa last season, you have to deal away anything and everything with value to get someone that might leave at the end of a season and if we do trade for a UFA and don't win the cup (A la Penguins), this city and team will be set back years because they will probably demand Pacioretty, McDonagh and/or Komisarek or Higgins.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:26 PM
limelight

There is no way montreal is going to trade their 1st round pick in 2009 with the draft being held in Montreal.

limelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight View Post
There is no way montreal is going to trade their 1st round pick in 2009 with the draft being held in Montreal.
Yes there is.

It's called Cup over Draft.

However, Spezza wouldn't get us a Cup.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Please no. We need players who play big, not big players who play like sissies. Not to mention he's a turnover machine.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
onice

NO! NO! I don't want Spezza!

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
NO! NO! I don't want Spezza!
I cannot agree more

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I'd rather trade for Bouwmeester if we can...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I really don't think Spezza would handle the pressure in Montreal very well.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Plekanetzz

Spezza is a softie

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Iwishihadacup

Spezza is softer than Margarine

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Universe
Eh?

Would love him if he came for free.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Magic33

That would mean I would have to see/hear his stupid laugh no matter what the question in any interview. NO THANK YOU. Not to mention he may be big, but he certainly isn't physical or gritty. I would be very upset if he was traded here.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

You guys are overdoing it. He got the soft label, he's not that bad. He's just not the total package. Would he help our team in this trade? Yes. Whether you like him or not, he's a talented dynamic player who is under contract at a respectable rate for a 1st liner center. That being said, he is somewhat injury prone, not in the gaborik sense, but he's not always there. His season and playoff performances speak for themselves though. PPG in season AND playoffs. His team is horrible, he's not making as many points as he usually does, yet his +- is still positive. There are high expectations for a guy like spezza in ottawa. There always have been. Thornton didn't have enough leadership and yada yada for boston, when they traded him he just responded with career seasons and he doesn't even have the same success Spezza has in the playoffs.

In the end, although the option of having spezza as second line center instead of Plek is amazing to me, there's no guarantee he would bring us to a cup, there never is.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:48 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Spezza is a huge upgrade from Pleks IMO.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
kalessin

As much fun as it is to bash Plekanec this year I'm not sure I'd really rather have Spezza going forward. Guy's a bum. Let him rot in Ottawa.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You guys are overdoing it. He got the soft label, he's not that bad. He's just not the total package. Would he help our team in this trade? Yes. Whether you like him or not, he's a talented dynamic player who is under contract at a respectable rate for a 1st liner center. That being said, he is somewhat injury prone, not in the gaborik sense, but he's not always there. His season and playoff performances speak for themselves though. PPG in season AND playoffs. His team is horrible, he's not making as many points as he usually does, yet his +- is still positive. There are high expectations for a guy like spezza in ottawa. There always have been. Thornton didn't have enough leadership and yada yada for boston, when they traded him he just responded with career seasons and he doesn't even have the same success Spezza has in the playoffs.

In the end, although the option of having spezza as second line center instead of Plek is amazing to me, there's no guarantee he would bring us to a cup, there never is.
Finally someone who makes sense. You people are nuts if you don't want Spezza here. HE is a great passer who gets the puck to people, hes YOUNG FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Hes not Crosby, and it would seem unless its Kovalchuk, Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin in the trade no one is satisfied. I would be very happy to get Spezza. He would be a huge improvement, and would definitely help our Power Play. Your telling me that you wouldn't want Spezza centering D'Agostini and A.K or S.K? Thats just ridiculous. He would improve everyone's play. He is on a team that has been going in a downward spiral, ofcourse he will have confidence and motivation issues. Lecavalier is on the worst team in the league and I'm positive hes thinking "why the **** did I sign on the dotted line". Get real people, I wouldn't give up half the franchise for spezza, but I would certainly Give up Pleks, Higgins, and a First for starters.

Old
12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Finally someone who makes sense. You people are nuts if you don't want Spezza here. HE is a great passer who gets the puck to people, hes YOUNG FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Hes not Crosby, and it would seem unless its Kovalchuk, Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin in the trade no one is satisfied. I would be very happy to get Spezza. He would be a huge improvement, and would definitely help our Power Play. Your telling me that you wouldn't want Spezza centering D'Agostini and A.K or S.K? Thats just ridiculous. He would improve everyone's play. He is on a team that has been going in a downward spiral, ofcourse he will have confidence and motivation issues. Lecavalier is on the worst team in the league and I'm positive hes thinking "why the **** did I sign on the dotted line". Get real people, I wouldn't give up half the franchise for spezza, but I would certainly Give up Pleks, Higgins, and a First for starters.
If you get Spezza, you are building a team around him. You're not getting him to be a support player. I don't think any team with him as the lead guy wins the cup. Just my oipinion, butI dont think point totals are evrything. Thats all he brings...points.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
If you get Spezza, you are building a team around him. You're not getting him to be a support player. I don't think any team with him as the lead guy wins the cup. Just my oipinion, butI dont think point totals are evrything. Thats all he brings...points.
Thornton went to SJ and he wasn't captain, got a load off his shoulders, won the art ross, turned cheechoo into a star that year. Tanguay came here because he wouldn't have to be THE guy. Maybe it's what spezza needs, we have a plethora of offensive talent on our team, it's not like ottawa with one line.

Old
12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Thornton went to SJ and he wasn't captain, got a load off his shoulders, won the art ross, turned cheechoo into a star that year. Tanguay came here because he wouldn't have to be THE guy. Maybe it's what spezza needs, we have a plethora of offensive talent on our team, it's not like ottawa with one line.
I know Thornton won the Art Ross, but I think you're proving my point. So far a team built around Joe Thornton CANT win in the playoffs. And Cheechoo seems like he was a one year wonder.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:08 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
B-I-N-G-O

We have great offensive talent, and solid D for the most part. Ottawa has...Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson. Theres your team.

We have, Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, AK, SK, D'Ago, Price, Markov, Hamrlik, Komi. These are all top guys who are highly gifted. Spezza would get attention yes, but I think our whole team would protect him, and would improve his game. Like Thornton, Spezza could flourish into a more complete player with all the defense, and variety of players we have. I think he would be a perfect fit, and a great boost for him playing for the most prestigious hockey franchise. This would help his development progress.

Old
12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Luongo2008*

Nah, we don't need Spezza.

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
I know Thornton won the Art Ross, but I think you're proving my point. So far a team built around Joe Thornton CANT win in the playoffs.
Joe thornton isn't great in playoffs. Spezza has a PPG in playoffs. I said Spezza coming here he wouldn't have to be THE guy. Ottawa has one line, we have 3! Lang is our 3rd line center and is doing great. Koivu/Spezza/Lang. He wouldn't have to be the franchise player, he'll be a compliment player and he'll prob excel when the pressure is off.

Andrei-Saku-D'ags
Tanguay-Spezza-Kovalev
Sergei-Lang-Higgins
+ Latendresse!

Begin-Lapierre-Kosto
+Laraque

Any questions to why it would work out for him? he's got a plethora of talent around him. He'd excel here.