HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs should go after Spezza

Old
12-19-2008, 07:14 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Joe thornton isn't great in playoffs. Spezza has a PPG in playoffs. I said Spezza coming here he wouldn't have to be THE guy. Ottawa has one line, we have 3! Lang is our 3rd line center and is doing great. Koivu/Spezza/Lang. He wouldn't have to be the franchise player, he'll be a compliment player and he'll prob excel when the pressure is off.

Andrei-Saku-D'ags
Tanguay-Spezza-Kovalev
Sergei-Lang-Higgins
+ Latendresse!

Begin-Lapierre-Kosto
+Laraque

Any questions to why it would work out for him? he's got a plethora of talent around him. He'd excel here.
Top 3 lines are Orgasmic IMO.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Top 3 lines are Orgasmic IMO.
Did we lose in the playoffs last year because we couldn't score? This team needed more grit, and Spezze definately does not add more grit. I know he has a point a game int he plyoffs and I know our Depth is greater here. But the problem is that Ottawa's lack of depth actually helps Spezza. He plays with Heatly (we don't have a sniper close to him) and Alfreddson, and plays 25 minutes a game. His production would definately drop as a Hab, and he does not address our weaknesses at all. We have some great passers (Koivu and Tanguay). If we get a forward he should add to our grit or be a a guy who can bury.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 man unit View Post
Did we lose in the playoffs last year because we couldn't score? This team needed more grit, and Spezze definately does not add more grit. I know he has a point a game int he plyoffs and I know our Depth is greater here. But the problem is that Ottawa's lack of depth actually helps Spezza. He plays with Heatly (we don't have a sniper close to him) and Alfreddson, and plays 25 minutes a game. His production would definately drop as a Hab, and he does not address our weaknesses at all. We have some great passers (Koivu and Tanguay). If we get a forward he should add to our grit or be a a guy who can bury.
I think the whole grit thing is nonsense. We lost last year because we couldn't score 5-5 and they figured out of PP scheme. We outplayed Philly, we just didn't win. More offensive support 5-5 and more talent for the PP in spezza will only help. PP clicking and a guy like spezza on our team, I don't care how much grit you have, we'll kill you for 5-5 and we'll destroy you on the PP. Go ahead play tough, we'll play smart.

Spezza can bury btw. 34 goals last 2 seasons plus on pace for 33 this year and this is his off year!

Also, the whole spezza plays 25 min a game arguement isn't necessarily a factor. Lang plays 3rd line, shares ice time and is having a better year than last year. Koivu, less time=more points. They'll be nice and rested come playoff time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
C4KOMI

montreal is looking for a defenceman based on yvan pendault.
also it is rare that teams trade within same division.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
I think the whole grit thing is nonsense. We lost last year because we couldn't score 5-5 and they figured out of PP scheme. We outplayed Philly, we just didn't win. More offensive support 5-5 and more talent for the PP in spezza will only help. PP clicking and a guy like spezza on our team, I don't care how much grit you have, we'll kill you for 5-5 and we'll destroy you on the PP. Go ahead play tough, we'll play smart.

Spezza can bury btw. 34 goals last 2 seasons plus on pace for 33 this year and this is his off year!

Also, the whole spezza plays 25 min a game arguement isn't necessarily a factor. Lang plays 3rd line, shares ice time and is having a better year than last year. Koivu, less time=more points. They'll be nice and rested come playoff time.
Some good points...other than the grit thing being nonsense. It's hard to find a cup winning team without a shutdown line and also hard to find one with three purely offensive lines. I'm think grit is underated, not over rated. That's why guys like Higgins are so important to this team. You think you can get Spezza without giving up Higgins?

I also think that keeping your core together and steady is important for a winning organization. You dont want to trade core character guys, for a guy like Spezza. (I'm obviuously biased here. I really don't like the guy)

Old
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
JAVO16

Spezza is interesting but I think we can forget it. You simply don't trade a top player to a rival and I don't see Ottawa making that mistake. They also re-upped Spezza to a good long-term deal last year and I doubt it's because they wanted to trade him right after.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Some good points...other than the grit thing being nonsense. It's hard to find a cup winning team without a shutdown line and also hard to find one with three purely offensive lines. I'm think grit is underated, not over rated. That's why guys like Higgins are so important to this team. You think you can get Spezza without giving up Higgins?
The trade suggest isn't that far off.
To Montreal

- Jason Spezza
- 2nd round draft pick on 2009

To Ottawa

- Tomas Plekanec
- Jaroslav Halak
- David Fischer
- 1st round draft pick in 2009

They need a goalie, gerber is done there after his contract is up(this year i think) they got elliot in the minors, but he won't be a star. They need a new center if they get rid of spezza, they'll prob end up having plek and a shot at tavares too! Fischer, just adds to defensive depth in their system. They aren't the same team because of D-men. They lost redden, mezaros, chara, etc etc. It catches up to you. Any pick...well, with what looks like a top 5 pick for them and another pick, it will only help them restock. Maybe they want higgins, who knows? it would be tough to trade him to a division rival tho as he's a fan favorite here(not a hfboards fave tho).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Spezza is interesting but I think we can forget it. You simply don't trade a top player to a rival and I don't see Ottawa making that mistake. They also re-upped Spezza to a good long-term deal last year and I doubt it's because they wanted to trade him right after.
True, but out of the big 3 he's more likely to get moved. Alfy, no way, he's staying forever. Heatley NTC, Spezza...no protection. They are looking for a shake up but as u suggested its tough they deal with us, but anything can happen.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old
12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
The trade suggest isn't that far off.
To Montreal

- Jason Spezza
- 2nd round draft pick on 2009

To Ottawa

- Tomas Plekanec
- Jaroslav Halak
- David Fischer
- 1st round draft pick in 2009

They need a goalie, gerber is done there after his contract is up(this year i think) they got elliot in the minors, but he won't be a star. They need a new center if they get rid of spezza, they'll prob end up having plek and a shot at tavares too! Fischer, just adds to defensive depth in their system. They aren't the same team because of D-men. They lost redden, mezaros, chara, etc etc. It catches up to you. Any pick...well, with what looks like a top 5 pick for them and another pick, it will only help them restock. Maybe they want higgins, who knows? it would be tough to trade him to a division rival tho as he's a fan favorite here(not a hfboards fave tho).
What about Heatly??? If we go after a Senator I'd way rather have him! And all your points still apply.

Old
12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
I agree, and I also think that Ottawa only trades Spezza for another star. It's hard to find players as talented as he is, despite his flaws. He was a 2nd overall pick who would've been a 1st overall in most years. Especially with his contract, I don't see Murray trading Spezza for a nice-ish package of 2nd liners and picks and prospects.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
What about Heatly??? If we go after a Senator I'd way rather have him! And all your points still apply.
NTC. I'd rather have healtley, no question. Don't think he'll ever be available though.

Old
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Kirk Muller

soft? check
skilled? check
questionable heart? check

Hmm, maybe he does fit in Montreal.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
sampollock

never happen,

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
NO! NO! I don't want Spezza!
Absolutely not. Bob Clark on off the record show said he wouldn't take him regardless of his talent. Big under soft underachiever.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:59 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Grit grit grit grit grit... we are lacking grit? What is Laraque for then? Pretty sure theres a whole thread dedicated to him and what he can do with his pinkie, and what Chuck Norris can do etc... Is laraque mean't to help Youppi in the stands then? Spezza is a world class passer who has size, speed, and he can bury the puck. Hes smart, and hes a great player who hasn't even reached his full potential, hes still working on a complete game. Ottawa would get a 1st, Top D prospect, 2ndary Scoring, and a Goalie. a Top goalie no less. We get a top Center in the league locked up for a good while.

I'd do it in a heart beat.

Old
12-19-2008, 08:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Absolutely not. Bob Clark on off the record show said he wouldn't take him regardless of his talent. Big under soft underachiever.
Underachievers make a PPG in the playoffs?

Old
12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

I still think this trade could happen.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Stradale

Id feel so bad to see any current Habs playing with the Sens.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Turboflex*

Spezza is good but no way at 7 million halfway thru the next decade that is an idiotic contract. Maybe a handful of forwards are worth that money, Spezza is not one, terrible contract.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
à

Andrei-Saku-D'ags
Tanguay-Spezza-Kovalev
Sergei-Lang-Higgins
+ Latendresse!

Begin-Lapierre-Kosto
+Laraque
Imagine how many turnovers those 2 guys would make.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:32 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

First, I agree that a trade with the Sens, especially with a star like Jason Spezza in the deal, isn't going to happen.

I would also prefer a more complete player, without some attitude issues. That said, those guys are franchise player and the teams who have such players will not trade them.

Spezza is so talented, that's not even funny. If the offer was on the table (the original proposal), I would seriously take it and run. In fact, you could take out the 2nd round pick and I would still do this.

We need a number one center. Cocky or not, Spezza is a number one center and his value is pretty low right now considering what he can bring to a team when he is at the top of his game.

Big pay low risk if you ask me.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:18 AM
ReVeuF

Montreal should not touch Spezza even with a 20' pole...

This season we sometimes got work ethic problem, Spezza will make it worse, he got talent for sure but he will not help the team.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 07:52 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While he is a talented player, I do not think he is worth anything close to the package, especially with his lackluster play this season. As mentioned by others, he is not the missing piece of the puzzle for a cup in Montreal.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
The same Clarke who broke Kharlamov's ankle?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Turboflex*

Regardless of what you think of Clark's sportsmanship, he did carry a relatively new expansion team to stanley cups on his back and knows a thing or two about what it takes to win.

Soft, bad attitude, absurd contract, PASS. Ottawa is going to be in the basement for a long time with these guys which is why theyre getting desperate to unload them. 5-1 loss to the devils last night LOL the hits keep coming.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The same Clarke who broke Kharlamov's ankle?
yeah that's him. Does a 35 year old slash negate his opinion ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote