HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jackets resign D Jamie Pushor

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2004, 01:44 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Jackets resign D Jamie Pushor

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/posts...9870189992.xml

Ever since trading defenseman Jamie Pushor last season, the Columbus Blue Jackets have kept an eye open for the chance to bring him back into the fold.

That chance has come, and the Blue Jackets were ready with the welcome mat.

Advertisement

Pushor said Thursday that he has agreed to a two-year deal with the organization that will likely make him a mainstay on the blue line for the Syracuse Crunch. Pushor, 31, played 17 games for Syracuse in 2003-04 before Columbus traded him to the New York Rangers.

Jim Clark, assistant general manager of the Blue Jackets, said the team made that deal because it thought Pushor, a veteran of 517 NHL games, would have a better chance of returning to that level with the Rangers. Pushor wound up playing seven games in New York and 14 with the team's AHL affiliate in Hartford.

When Pushor came on the market again this summer, Clark saw him as the answer to Syracuse's need for another defensive defenseman.

"I've said consistently our priority was to find a solid, consistent defenseman who could be a quality depth guy," Clark said. "Jamie fit the bill. We liked him when he was there (in Syracuse) last year."

Pushor will be on an AHL contract, a tact some veteran, minor-league free agents are taking this season. If there is an NHL work stoppage, some NHL-caliber players on AHL deals should be OK to play in the lower league. If there is an NHL season and Columbus wants to recall Pushor, it would have to reach a new agreement with him.

"I want to pursue my hockey career, and this is the best avenue to pursue it," Pushor said. "I'm excited to come back. I know the (Columbus) organization at both levels now."

While Pushor addresses a hole on defense, Syracuse could still use a veteran scorer or two. Its two leading scorers last season, Donald MacLean (69 points) and Brad Moran (59), will both play overseas this year.

If the NHL is dormant, Clark said Blue Jackets center Alexander Svitov could see time in Syracuse. But as far as minor-league free agents go, Clark said Columbus' checkbook is closed for now.

"Right now, I'm full with players. We'll see what evolves over the rest of the summer," Clark said. "If a better player pops up and he makes sense, then we'll deal with it."

Old
07-24-2004, 05:18 AM
BLACKBURN

Wont miss you Jamie!

Old
07-24-2004, 12:55 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Pushor sucks...

Old
07-24-2004, 01:30 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Pushor sucks...
and to think Sather dealt something for him, maybe that 8th round pick can turn into a late steal, like a Miro Satan or a Kim Johnsson.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
and to think Sather dealt something for him, maybe that 8th round pick can turn into a late steal, like a Miro Satan or a Kim Johnsson.

wow the sather bashing has hit a new low. the sad part is if pushor didn't play for the rangers last year and was just a free agent you would have already had a thread about why the rangers should sign him. shouldn't you be starting a new thread about how the rangers should sign an ahl star.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
JOrtmeyer - Is Matt Greer going to be that guy?

Matt Greer profile

Old
07-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner

wow the sather bashing has hit a new low. the sad part is if pushor didn't play for the rangers last year and was just a free agent you would have already had a thread about why the rangers should sign him. shouldn't you be starting a new thread about how the rangers should sign an ahl star.
You're really pushing your argument a little too far. Pushor is by no stretch of the imagination "an ahl star" or did you see something everyone else missed? And I haven't noticed any agitating for the organization to be signing older AHL journeymen--especially defensemen--on the board to date either.

Old
07-24-2004, 06:49 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
JOrtmeyer - Is Matt Greer going to be that guy?

Matt Greer profile
Hahaha... the No. 0 rated North American skater? :lol

Old
07-24-2004, 07:18 PM
barnaby63

Quote:

Exactly.

Old
07-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

I agree...........I said it before and I will say it again. This is the NHL the Rangers play in...........I think there are a lot of AHL fans on this site.

Closed Thread