Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames drop to 28th in HF rankings

Old
12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
I've been critical of Sutter's drafting but he deserves some love:

Story from 2003 I remember reading - If Dion Phaneuf had been chosen before the Flames picked at #9 the Flames were going to go off the board a bit and pick Mike Richards who Philly picked at #24.

Now that would have been one of the best picks in draft history. 2003 was a loaded draft and to take the chance on Richards at #9 showed that the Flames scouts knew he was a gem.

Richards is a franchise center and being a left shot with Iginla on his right side we'd be like -" yeah Dion would of been nice but I wouldn't trade Richie for him now"

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
serratedmuffin

Sutter does tend to go off the board a little bit. Pelech was a surprise due to his multiple facial (broken jaw and something else?) injuries. Backlund was the second ranked european prospect but was coming off a knee injury. Taking Nemisz over Ennis, Deschamps. To be fair, I'm pretty sure Sutter wanted Tedenby but the NJD got him a pick above, and Nemisz was viewed as a 28-30 first rounder (picked at 25).
I'm not complaining as they could still be really good players and it's too early to tell. Just noticing a trend (or I'm having conspiracy issues)

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
kruezer

You know, the more I watch Nemisz, I am warming up to the pick, as useless a stat as plus/minus may be, its nice to see that he has the top on his team among forwards, he produces well for having minimal PP ice time. He has really played well the last couple games as well, and has moved up to top ten in the OHL in scoring, I think he may well have a decent future, I was skeptical at first, but he just performs, he is one of the best at walking out of the corner to the front of the net.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:22 AM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I've been critical of Sutter's drafting but he deserves some love:

Story from 2003 I remember reading - If Dion Phaneuf had been chosen before the Flames picked at #9 the Flames were going to go off the board a bit and pick Mike Richards who Philly picked at #24.

Now that would have been one of the best picks in draft history. 2003 was a loaded draft and to take the chance on Richards at #9 showed that the Flames scouts knew he was a gem.

Richards is a franchise center and being a left shot with Iginla on his right side we'd be like -" yeah Dion would of been nice but I wouldn't trade Richie for him now"
It's not that I don't doubt that, but when was the released to the public that he was going Richards if Phaneuf wasn't there?

bam09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
It's not that I don't doubt that, but when was the released to the public that he was going Richards if Phaneuf wasn't there?
It was a news article somewhere. Sorry don't have confirmation but I remember thinking Wow taking a chance on a gritty, two way center with guys like Dustin Brown, Getzlaf still available.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
bam09

If it was during the draft, and not 2 years later that Sutter said it, then I give him props for that.

bam09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
It was a news article somewhere. Sorry don't have confirmation but I remember thinking Wow taking a chance on a gritty, two way center with guys like Dustin Brown, Getzlaf still available.

Yeah, I remember reading that.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Likewise I remember reading that article.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Hyde

I remember reading the same thing. It was an ESPN article that was written and it stated that Sutter said that it was going to be Dion or Mike Richards.

I've always wondered how much imput Sutter had in the 2003 draft (outside the 1st pick), since he was newly the GM and all, guess we'll never find out.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
puck_08

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

It says it in this article from 2003

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

28th is generous considering the prospects.....

Sutter has abandoned the draft long time ago.

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Abonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
28th is generous considering the prospects.....

Sutter has abandoned the draft long time ago.
funny...i thought he was the guy handing out the red jerseys and hats with the flaming C's on them....guess i was wrong

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I've always wondered how much imput Sutter had in the 2003 draft (outside the 1st pick), since he was newly the GM and all, guess we'll never find out.
Phaneuf was Sutter's pick, Ramholt was the scouts pick (both Button's were a big fan IIRC) and as for the rest, Sutter might not have known much about any of the players but he directed them to focus on CHL based role players at the very least. That's when the focus switched from the NCAA preferred Button drafts, to the CHL focused Sutter drafts.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Phaneuf was Sutter's pick, Ramholt was the scouts pick (both Button's were a big fan IIRC) and as for the rest, Sutter might not have known much about any of the players but he directed them to focus on CHL based role players at the very least. That's when the focus switched from the NCAA preferred Button drafts, to the CHL focused Sutter drafts.
Thanks Roughneck.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote