HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

12/18/08: Nashville @ Phoenix

Old
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
that was embarassing......again....

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 11:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Nice to see the folks around here haven't been throwing themselves off the Shelby Street Bridge like on the NP.com boards.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

-Erat REALLY struggled last night. One of his worst games of the season, by far. I would not be surprised if his ice time was cut (please, Barry?).
-The second PP unit looked fine to me, but the first unit was ATROCIOUS. The "just pass it to Weber" mentality is causing the unit to stagnate.
-Suter also played poorly, I thought. Gave up a turnover that could've been a goal for Doan, and then lets off Lisin and starts looking for the puck, which lets Lisin scoop up the rebound Ellis gives and throw it back in front of the net for Turris to bury.
-Ellis tried to play the trailer (Morris) on the first goal. If he hadn't, he probably would've stopped Turris' attempt. Fault Ellis, fault De Vries and Klein (who had both pinched down inside the blue line), fault Erat... all three are certainly not wrong.
-We have a bad habit of letting some of the opposition's better young players stand undefended in front of the net. Dustin Brown, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, and now Peter Mueller. Thankfully Ellis got back across to make the save.
-Does it bother anyone else that our defensemen don't hit anybody and will often play several feet off the puck carrier instead of stepping in and levelling him?

Phoenix played great defense and did a good job of clogging the neutral zone. They've also got a lot of speed, with guys like Jokinen and Boedker on the upper lines, and Lisin and Turris on the lower lines, that can make you pay for a bad turnover, especially if they're trailing on the play as it comes back the other way. This is a solid team that has the talent to make the playoffs. They could use an upgrade at defense, but the talent they have will keep them in the hunt until the waining hours of the season and be a thorn in the side of the teams that are looking to contend.

As for the forwards, can we call up Santorelli and Jones? Please?

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 12-19-2008 at 12:27 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:34 AM
DManPreds11

I was going to comment but you guys said it all for me, so I concur!! I know this might sound ridiculous but so is our power play so I'll say it. On the PP put Toots on the point because he rarely misses the net like most of them do when firing the slapper, hell he'll fire it from a bad angle and still put it on net. Also wondering, have we scored on a any rebounds this season? It seems like everytime there's a juicy one, nobody's in position to put it in the net? I know we have but it seems like a long time ago to remember.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
I was going to comment but you guys said it all for me, so I concur!! I know this might sound ridiculous but so is our power play so I'll say it. On the PP put Toots on the point because he rarely misses the net like most of them do when firing the slapper, hell he'll fire it from a bad angle and still put it on net. Also wondering, have we scored on a any rebounds this season? It seems like everytime there's a juicy one, nobody's in position to put it in the net? I know we have but it seems like a long time ago to remember.
No, no, no. Toots would be dangerous at the point for a couple reasons;
1) He has a tendency to shoot the puck at chest level...not a good thing for anyone going to the front of the net. You think we don't have a net presence now, wait until Toots launches a couple at head level...players from both teams would be parting the Red Sea when he wound up.

2) He is not the most accomplished puck-handler in the world and I think would panic under pressure, leading to turnovers and shorthanded opportunities against.

3) Jordin is a player that is at his best when playing aggressively. I fear that Toots would have a difficult time choosing whether or not to hold the zone and whether or not to jump down low to create opportunities...leaving his partner and the team out to dry.

Personally, I'd like to see Toots or Smithson (yes, I said Jerred "Babyface" Smithson) in front of the net on the PP in place of Bonk.

Every practice I've attended for the past three seasons Smithson is one of the last forwards out on the ice and he is out there after practice ends in front of the net deflecting pucks as the D go through shooting drills. FWIW, Ward practices stickhandling off to the side in the neutral zone with about a dozen pucks lined up in various formations to stickhandle through. Both these guys know they are role players...therefore when our skill guys are changing in the locker room, these guys are taking advantage of every second of ice time to improve their game.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:34 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, no, no. Toots would be dangerous at the point for a couple reasons;
1) He has a tendency to shoot the puck at chest level...not a good thing for anyone going to the front of the net. You think we don't have a net presence now, wait until Toots launches a couple at head level...players from both teams would be parting the Red Sea when he wound up.

2) He is not the most accomplished puck-handler in the world and I think would panic under pressure, leading to turnovers and shorthanded opportunities against.

3) Jordin is a player that is at his best when playing aggressively. I fear that Toots would have a difficult time choosing whether or not to hold the zone and whether or not to jump down low to create opportunities...leaving his partner and the team out to dry.

Personally, I'd like to see Toots or Smithson (yes, I said Jerred "Babyface" Smithson) in front of the net on the PP in place of Bonk.

Every practice I've attended for the past three seasons Smithson is one of the last forwards out on the ice and he is out there after practice ends in front of the net deflecting pucks as the D go through shooting drills. FWIW, Ward practices stickhandling off to the side in the neutral zone with about a dozen pucks lined up in various formations to stickhandle through. Both these guys know they are role players...therefore when our skill guys are changing in the locker room, these guys are taking advantage of every second of ice time to improve their game.
Yeah I see it the same way, I was just getting desperate for offense and better chances on the PP. Great post!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote