HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Murphy's Law December 19: Komi may be the answer; Carbo needs to stop whining!

Old
12-20-2008, 07:33 AM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
By the way.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I'll call only if you promise to be as petty and condescending in your anti-hab rants like you were in your original post (and most of your other posts). Great journalism.
If you're referring to my invite to call in, well then fine see it as petty. But I'm not a fan of people who sit in front of the computer and take shots here. Have a voice! Let your thoughts be heard! But something tells me, there's a contingent, (I know there is on the Bruins board and I've told them), that is afraid of speaking up and backing up what they write here!

If I'm so condescending though, then why would I invite ANYONE to blast me on the air? I'm obviously putting your thoughts on the same level as mine and inviting you to voice them on another platform.

I may be completely wrong on Carbo, so show me I'm wrong!

hockeyscribe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
nnynetpotato

I think in the Montreal market a certain level of "passion" is expected when discussing reffing,etc.

If Carbo just blew off the officiating and didn't try to work the refs a bit,he'd get a lot more heat on here,IMO.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
If you're so ticked at my observations, feel free to chime in tomorrow 2-4 PM, on my show on Team 990 maybe from 3:25-3:40 specifically at 1-877-645-6696 or 1-877-NHL-6696. Or email at radio@insidehockey.com or feedback@insidehockey.com.

Thanks for reading!

Yeah....why did I just waste my time reading your useless posts...shameless.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Something to the extent of "You saw the game, and I don't have to tell you what you saw" with his classic smirk. Besides that he was complaining the whole game!

Anyhow, I'm going on a bigger picture of what I see with him and also what I'm told by players and hockey insiders. He has a rep for whining and he needs to shed it!
Carbo had a rep as a ref baiter as a player, he and Gretzky were singled out as 2 of the worst. Did you hear his pc after the game ? He said very little. It was the story, he had to say something, but I've seen a lot worse, Murph.

The behind the bench ref baiting is something he did a lot of 2 years ago and the talk continues. I don't see him as any worse than aanyone else now. It's hockey talk though, old history continues.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Why would anybody here give a rat's ass what you think about Carbo. If you think he's a whiner, send him a letter, complain to him, tell him to stop whining. You come here and ask the fans about Carbo's intentions or what he's thinking. What kind of response are you looking for? Do you think we can read his thoughts? Do we represent him? Are you saying he shouldn't have complained about the reffing? Its strange because most coaches around the league tend to complain to refs quite a bit. Is it because he's french that it becomes unacceptable? Is it because he's the Habs coach and you just hate the Habs that much that you will nitpick and find obscure things to complain and rant about. If this isn't trolling, then I don't know what is. And the fact that you try to plug your appearance on some radio show while you're trolling is a bloody insult to our intelligence. I've never seen a vaccum cleaner salesman spit in his customer's face before he tries to present its features lol

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:30 AM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Point taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Why would anybody here give a rat's ass what you think about Carbo. If you think he's a whiner, send him a letter, complain to him, tell him to stop whining. You come here and ask the fans about Carbo's intentions or what he's thinking. What kind of response are you looking for? Do you think we can read his thoughts? Do we represent him? Are you saying he shouldn't have complained about the reffing? Its strange because most coaches around the league tend to complain to refs quite a bit. Is it because he's french that it becomes unacceptable? Is it because he's the Habs coach and you just hate the Habs that much that you will nitpick and find obscure things to complain and rant about. If this isn't trolling, then I don't know what is. And the fact that you try to plug your appearance on some radio show while you're trolling is a bloody insult to our intelligence. I've never seen a vaccum cleaner salesman spit in his customer's face before he tries to present its features lol
Good to see we have classy customers here!

As far as trolling, if I was doing that, I wouldn't waste my time on this topic because there are plenty of obvious reasons why this team is underachieving. It's my job as a reporter to find the not so obvious and as a producer and host of my show, yes I try to promote when I can. Was this the wrong place? Maybe, considering I ticked off a lot of Habs fans with that column, probably, and I'll note that down.

But I'm not backing off my opinion. That being said, I haven't and won't insult as some have here. You show me one insult from me here and I won't post again. You can ask other posters here, I'm not like that and never will be.

Old
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Krautso

Quote:
If you're referring to my invite to call in, well then fine see it as petty. But I'm not a fan of people who sit in front of the computer and take shots here. Have a voice! Let your thoughts be heard! But something tells me, there's a contingent, (I know there is on the Bruins board and I've told them), that is afraid of speaking up and backing up what they write here!

If I'm so condescending though, then why would I invite ANYONE to blast me on the air? I'm obviously putting your thoughts on the same level as mine and inviting you to voice them on another platform.

pet·ty (pt)
adj. pet·ti·er, pet·ti·est
1. Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.
2. Marked by narrowness of mind, ideas, or views.
3. Marked by meanness or lack of generosity, especially in trifling matters.
4. Secondary in importance or rank; subordinate. See Synonyms at trivial.
5. Law Variant of petit.

Your singling out of Carbo for "whining" when he never publicly criticized the ref despite one of the most one-sided officiating displays we'll see all year, is petty. If you get handed 11 straight penalties and the worst you give is a sarcastic smirk, I'd say your actually pretty composed. It is also pretty ridiculous to say that the fortunes of the team this year in the playoffs are completely dictated by the coaches inability to refrain from communicating displeasure when the officiating is inconsistent.

Noun: condescension `kón-di'sen-shun

1. The trait of displaying arrogance by patronizing those considered inferior
- superciliousness, disdainfulness

2. A communication that indicates lack of respect by patronizing the recipient
- disdain, patronage

3. Affability to your inferiors and temporary disregard for differences of position or rank
"the queen's condescension was intended to make us feel comfortable"
- condescendingness

Saying that "any good hockey person would tell you that the calls were legit" implies that anyone who disagrees with the reffing would not be a "good hockey person". Considering you're posting on the habs board where 99% of fans disagree with the officiating of that game, when you imply that habs fans and the coaching staff of the team are not "good hockey people" and you some how are the bench mark for this, is condescending.

When you put up a post on the habs board using "whining, attitude, lack of passion, lazy, lack of leadership, etc" to describe the team and its coaches, what kind of response do you honestly expect? You don't even support these opinions you just kind of throw them out there and ask for people to respond. The fact you are from boston also puts a slant on things whether it should or not. You were only missing "diving, euros, cheap and soft" to cover the entire hab-hater rainbow.

It seems like baiting to me and damn, I fell for it and had a need to respond!

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:54 AM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Just a head's up...

I picked the Habs to win the Cup in my season preview!

So spare me the trolling and that I'm just some Bruins fan!

Old
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I'll fight ya Murph, one hand behind my back, I'll fight ya.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:

I dont know your work on the Radio or anything concerning your work, but i don't think you were trolling, if a Bruins fans come here and say the same thing you said about carbo, i would consider it trolling, you know the mchanics on these boards, but i dont care about trolling. Since you're a pro and you come to invite us to your show i dont see any problem. Again, Bruins fans will not get any sympathy from me thought.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Krautso

Quote:

Now were talking!

No harm no foul, Murph. You have every right to post your opinion on Carbo's behaviour or the teams lack of passion or effort. I think any good hockey person would admit that you're wrong, though.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I dont know your work on the Radio or anything concerning your work, but i don't think you were trolling, if a Bruins fans come here and say the same thing you said about carbo, i would consider it trolling, you know the mchanics on these boards, but i dont care about trolling. Since you're a pro and you come to invite us to your show i dont see any problem. Again, Bruins fans will not get any sympathy from me thought.
So he's a professional troll. I'll forgive him - he's Irish.

Murph, I don't know your show, and thanks for the invitation, but your criticism of Carbo is baiting. You hope to rile up a certain segment of the habs posters here so your show may benefit. I'm not biting.

Carbo had a terrible reputation of whining two seasons ago, and rightfully so. He's cleaned up his act, as noted by many commentators. As for the smirk, get over it; get used to it. It's been there for years and it ain't going away.

Slainte mhath. Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ůr!

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I wonder if any coach in the league would have failed to complain about an 11-1 ratio in penalty calls? I didn't notice any "whining" at all on Carbo's part. Unless I missed something his official line was a "no comment"... though a nicely pointed one. That whole blog entry doesn't seem to make much sense to me, maybe it's based more on reading this newsgroup than watching the games?
If gainey was a coach he wouldn't have said a word

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
mcphee

[QUOTE=Joe Malone;16908985]So he's a professional troll. I'll forgive him - he's Irish.

Murph, I don't know your show, and thanks for the invitation, but your criticism of Carbo is baiting. You hope to rile up a certain segment of the habs posters here so your show may benefit. I'm not biting.

Carbo had a terrible reputation of whining two seasons ago, and rightfully so. He's cleaned up his act, as noted by many commentators. As for the smirk, get over it; get used to it. It's been there for years and it ain't going away.

Slainte mhath. Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ůr![/QUOTE]

I've reported this infraction of board rules.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee;

Slainte mhath. Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ůr![/[/B
QUOTE]

I've reported this infraction of board rules.
I demand a Gaelic moderator.....and no, I don't mean a Gae Mod.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
HotPie

Quote:

As far as trolling, if I was doing that, I wouldn't waste my time on this topic because there are plenty of obvious reasons why this team is underachieving. It's my job as a reporter to find the not so obvious and as a producer and host of my show, yes I try to promote when I can. Was this the wrong place? Maybe, considering I ticked off a lot of Habs fans with that column, probably, and I'll note that down.

But I'm not backing off my opinion. That being said, I haven't and won't insult as some have here. You show me one insult from me here and I won't post again. You can ask other posters here, I'm not like that and never will be.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I think the problem is that for a game with such one sided penalty calling, Carbo held his calm surprisingly well. Could he be less of a whiner? Probably. But then so could almost any coach. Maybe Carbo more than some, but honestly I'm much more concerned about how he COACHES than how much he whines to the refs.

And while it might not have been intentional, a Bruins fan (no matter how neutral he might want to be) coming in here and discussing how much Carbo is a whiner can easily be perceived as flamebait to some, and so you shouldn't be surprised at the quality of responses you're getting.

It would be no different if the opposite was done on the Bruins board.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:

I wasn't aware we were customers - why? What are you selling? What's with spamming your site every other post?

Are you a Habs fan? Why is this sort of thread allowed at all? Just what the Habs need - more "press". What are your credentials - why not lead with those, instead of the preachy attitude. Advice from a bruin? More like sanctioned troll.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Back to the Habs and what they might do to shake up what in this scribe’s opinion has been a team lacking in passion. Well first of all, I suggest not much for now. With the return of Mike Komisarek Thursday night, the Canadiens looked rejuvenated in a 5-2 win over the Flyers. Komisarek reportedly got into the face of teammate Sergei Kostitsyn during a practice earlier this week and it’s clear he won’t tolerate the attitude and lack of passion this team has showed thus far. So if I’m Bob Gainey, wait a bit before you try a shake-up trade. You may have the guy you need already there in Komisarek.

Komisarek, who has two games as an Assistant Coach under his belt now might also want to talk to Carbonneau and tell him to stop whining about bad calls! Yes, they were whistled for eleven straight penalties in a 3-2 loss to Carolina but any good hockey person will tell you that ten out of those eleven were legit. So maybe the Habs players and Carbonneau should’ve adapted to the fact that the referees were calling a tight game, and stopped with the lazy penalties. There needs to be some leadership from the coach too and he didn’t display any with his complaining after the game!

http://insidehockey.com/blog/winter_wonderland

Happy Holidays!

Slainte,

Murph
Any good hockey person??? Immediately after this week's bizarre Habs-Canes game, I listened to John Tortorella and Bob McKenzie on TSN, and Dougie MacLean on Sportsnet all state that it's extremely improbable that Carolina didn't deserve at least a few penalties given how tightly they were calling it against Montreal. I hate to break it to you but I rank them far ahead of you on the "any good hockey person" rankings. I watched the game and for many of those penalties, nobody on either team knew who the call was against. The funniest part was when Carolina finally got called for a penalty and Cam Ward immediately skated to the bench out of habit...that was priceless.

Back to your "any good hockey person" line, not all of us confuse journalists from hockey people. I have XM radio and listen to NHL Home Ice regularly in the car but I must tell you that the quantity of hockey talk on Home Ice is much more impressive than the quality. There are a lot of hosts who happen to have a segment on a hockey show rather than good hockey persons as hosts. I find the substance to be very weak compared to what you get on TSN or Sportsnet. Having said that, I can't get enough of hockey talk around the clock and the cost for XM radio is peanuts to me so it's great to have in the car even if the quality of much of the programming is watered down.

Quote:

Please explain, because that's as far away from who I am as possible! Anti-Hab rants? I blast or compliment any team or player when I think it's warranted. In fact, I called out the Bruins last week saying that they need to not get cocky since I felt they were a little recently.

Anyhow, please explain where I was condescending. Petty, mmmm, I guess you could say because I'm maybe being overcritical of Carbo? But condescending?

My friend, the man has how many Stanley Cup rings and was a nominee for the Jack Adams last season. I think he's a great coach but I also think, just as I do, he needs to work on some things, mainly not whining about calls so much. Trust me, I've spoken to plenty of ref's and not many have a nice thing to say about him. That hurts the team, not just him.
It hurts the team??? Sounds like you're insinuating that there's a shortage of integrity among NHL officials if their dislike for Carbo "hurts the team". That's very brash of you.

Last edited by Schooner Guy: 12-20-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

IMO the Habs deserved most of those penalties, but the Hurricanes were laughably underpenalized. I'd say they should have drawn at least 4 more than they did.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Happy Holidays!

I'm done with this thread! My apologies to anyone I offended.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
I'm done with this thread! My apologies to anyone I offended.
merry christmas!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
habtastic

so, just read this whole thread...wow. Sorry Murph, but if that's what you call journalism...ragging on a coach who said barely anything after the most ridiculously one sided officiating, like I mean, unheard of...guess you don't like hockey, don't watch it or have extremely low levels of emotion. ALLLLL of us (Habs fans) would have been going ******* (well...i mean I WAS, at home watching) at that display. And calling it whining makes it sound like he's a spoiled sport, not an accurate portrayal. The look of disbelief, that's whining? Asking for an explanation, that's whining? How do you know he wasn't asking why there was no consistency (which he should have been doing)? You just see him how you want to see him. I was hoping he would ask to have the game reviewed by the league and have those refs go back to training. Personally, around the league, just to let you "journalists" know, he's one of the most respected people in the game, like Gainey (obviously for their previous exploits and as you pointed out he was a finalist last year for he Jack Adams). Whether he complains about calls or not, (the refs who have to deal with him might not like being yelled at), he's given a lot more credit than you give him.

also, from whatever brief snipets of Coyotes games I see, I have NEVER seen 99 NOT going completely nuts with the most gut wrenching sneer on his face. I think Carbo reacts just the way he should. And it doesn't hurt the team, cuz what you are proposing is that refs who don't like a coach's complaining will purposely turn a blind eye to the other team. It either works the other way (see Lindy Ruff...who is a great coach IMO) or has no impact at all. Those refs shouldn't be in the league and maybe you should write an article about THAT. It's like writing a piece about how a guy gets shot and all he did was cry and wail about it, and he should stop otherwise he'll get shot again. Or see: Cindy Sheehan, her and her whining ways.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote