HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Tkachuk

Old
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Keith Tkachuk

With the Blues falling down the standings and Tkachuk a UFA at season's end I was wondering what are the odds he's flogged at the deadline again by the Blues? I doubt he'd fetch again what Atlanta offered, as many felt they overpaid significantly for him, but he's on pace for 30 goals and 55 points, so he should be a fairly sought after commodity if he's made available and waives his NTC. Which brings me to my next question, would he waive to come to Vancouver? I know some USA players have no interest in playing in Canada, not sure if Tkachuk is one of them?

But at the deadline, Tkachuk would be a fantastic addition for the Canucks IMO. Tkachuk had great chemistry with Demitra in the past and adding them to a line with Sundin, looks good to me!

My guess is that any deal would involve a 1st round pick, after that, not sure what else. St.Louis would most likely have a lot of interest in Cory Schneider, but I question whether the Canucks would be willing to move him for what would likely amount to strictly a rental player.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:53 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Really comes down to how many interested buyers there are at the deadline. I would guess a 1st and 3rd/4th/minor prospect right now.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Jag68Sid87

Does Tkachuk have interest in leaving St. Louis? Would teams shy away because they know he'd be right back there next summer?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Peter Griffin

Anyone remember if Tkachuk had a NTC in his contract when he was dealt to Atlanta? I would think he would want to have one last chance at winning the cup, but who knows, he seems pretty content in St.Louis.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:05 PM
BBrowser

Value of: Keith Tkachuk

The New York Islanders

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Peter Griffin

I'd also have to wonder if the Blues would be willing to do business with Gillis after the whole offersheet debacle. I guess the Blues management wouldn't be doing their jobs if they ignored offers from the Canucks, but who knows if they'd take less from some other team.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Checker*

Tkachuk controls where he wants to go. If I was the Blues front office my price would simply be a 1st round pick this year. I'd hand over the list to Tkachuk of the teams that would be interested at that price and let him go where he wants to try and win a Cup.

I really don't see there being any kind of long-term hostility between the Blues and Canucks. When we offersheeted Bernier that was our quick payback. I'm thinking the issue died there, message sent, time to move on. I can't see either side wanting to stretch what happened this offseason to the point where it would be bad for both clubs.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hopefully he goes to Boston. It would be awesome to see him win a cup with his hometown team.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Tkachuk controls where he wants to go. If I was the Blues front office my price would simply be a 1st round pick this year. I'd hand over the list to Tkachuk of the teams that would be interested at that price and let him go where he wants to try and win a Cup.
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of respect between Tkachuk and the Blues so that seems like a reasonable assumption.

Being a Blues fan, do you know what kind of relationship Demitra and Tkachuk had while playing together? I know they played on the same line for a while, but do you think Demitra being in Vancouver could give the Canucks a bit of an edge as far as Tkachuk wanting to come here?

Quote:
I really don't see there being any kind of long-term hostility between the Blues and Canucks. When we offersheeted Bernier that was our quick payback. I'm thinking the issue died there, message sent, time to move on. I can't see either side wanting to stretch what happened this offseason to the point where it would be bad for both clubs.
You're probably right. JD ,Pleau and Jarmo are pretty professional guys and probably realize that Gillis is just using the CBA to his advantage. I'm sure with the way Backes is playing this year they aren't displeased at all that they'll have him for another two seasons at just $2.5M.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hopefully he goes to Boston. It would be awesome to see him win a cup with his hometown team.
I could see that for sure. Not sure if the Bruins would have the cap space, probably would be pretty tight.

Old
12-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Atlanta needs to get Keith back. He and Kovalchuk were great together. Of course, it would make Waddell look even worse so it would never happen.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I could see that for sure. Not sure if the Bruins would have the cap space, probably would be pretty tight.
Include Axelsson as a dump, along with a 1st rounder and it probably works for both sides. It would be tight, though, you are right about that. Shouldn't really matter at the deadline, though.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of respect between Tkachuk and the Blues so that seems like a reasonable assumption.

Being a Blues fan, do you know what kind of relationship Demitra and Tkachuk had while playing together? I know they played on the same line for a while, but do you think Demitra being in Vancouver could give the Canucks a bit of an edge as far as Tkachuk wanting to come here?
I can't begin to guess what their off-ice relationship was, but on ice they had a great deal of chemistry together. They always seemed to know where the other one was and it carried over to whoever their linemate was at the time (mostly Mellanby). Now it's been quite a while since they've played together, both are older and their games have changed a bit. Would they still have that chemistry? I'm not sure, but I'd guess they would. Also I don't know if the chemistry would be that important to getting Tkachuk to Vancouver but would rather be an added bonus for you guys if he chose to play there as I could see him and Demitra clicking again and bringing out the best in each other.

Quote:
You're probably right. JD ,Pleau and Jarmo are pretty professional guys and probably realize that Gillis is just using the CBA to his advantage. I'm sure with the way Backes is playing this year they aren't displeased at all that they'll have him for another two seasons at just $2.5M.
Backes started out a bit slow this season putting points up, but has slowly gotten himself going to the point where he is currently playing excellent hockey. Gillis offereing a contract like he did is fine use of the CBA as the contract was a fair one at the time and is looking like a good one right now. Now if he would have offered something crazy like 4-5 million dollars a season for him, there still may have been hard feelings. As is though, I think the thing probably died as soon as Vancouver matched the offersheet to Bernier, and in private both parties probably got a good chuckle and some good natured ribbing out of the exchange.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
With the Blues falling down the standings and Tkachuk a UFA at season's end I was wondering what are the odds he's flogged at the deadline again by the Blues? I doubt he'd fetch again what Atlanta offered, as many felt they overpaid significantly for him, but he's on pace for 30 goals and 55 points, so he should be a fairly sought after commodity if he's made available and waives his NTC. Which brings me to my next question, would he waive to come to Vancouver? I know some USA players have no interest in playing in Canada, not sure if Tkachuk is one of them?

But at the deadline, Tkachuk would be a fantastic addition for the Canucks IMO. Tkachuk had great chemistry with Demitra in the past and adding them to a line with Sundin, looks good to me!

My guess is that any deal would involve a 1st round pick, after that, not sure what else. St.Louis would most likely have a lot of interest in Cory Schneider, but I question whether the Canucks would be willing to move him for what would likely amount to strictly a rental player.

I have no idea of what KT will bring. As of the last month, he has been playing center - but looked better on the wing this year. (Damn injuries - Andy Mac, PK, and Oshie have played around 50% of the games so far and now we lose Brewer and McKee for extended time).

At the beginning of the year, KT was talking about retirement and this being his last season - well that has changed. The kids have rejuivinated him and he likes playing on the wing better.

There is a ton of respect between Mgt and KT so IF he wants to move on for one last shot I am sure they will honor it and send him to a team that has a legit shot at the cup. I don't know where he will wind up - but w/ the way Vancouver has played this year, PLUS the addition of Sundin, I think he would consider playing there.

What it will take will depend on who else is available. The fewer the number, the higher the price. Would I take Schnieder strait up for KT? No need to include anything else, but I don't think the Nucks will do that.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Flapjack*

I have a feeling Tkachuk will end up a Hawk at the deadline if the Hawks can find some wiggle room, cap wise.

It would be a perfect fit.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I can't begin to guess what their off-ice relationship was, but on ice they had a great deal of chemistry together. They always seemed to know where the other one was and it carried over to whoever their linemate was at the time (mostly Mellanby). Now it's been quite a while since they've played together, both are older and their games have changed a bit. Would they still have that chemistry? I'm not sure, but I'd guess they would. Also I don't know if the chemistry would be that important to getting Tkachuk to Vancouver but would rather be an added bonus for you guys if he chose to play there as I could see him and Demitra clicking again and bringing out the best in each other.
Mellanby is in the Canucks front office. That might also help. Could free up Sundin for a Sedin-Sedin-Sundin PBP guy's worst nightmare line

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:36 PM
TPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
I have a feeling Tkachuk will end up a Hawk at the deadline if the Hawks can find some wiggle room, cap wise.

It would be a perfect fit.
Who do you think he would play with if he were to be traded to the hawks? I think Boston and Vancouver would be the best fit for him overall. He loved playing will Scott and Demitra and had outstanding chemistry together. He would love to go to Boston, because they have a great team this year, and also, he still has his summer home in cape cod.

TPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS View Post
Who do you think he would play with if he were to be traded to the hawks? I think Boston and Vancouver would be the best fit for him overall. He loved playing will Scott and Demitra and had outstanding chemistry together. He would love to go to Boston, because they have a great team this year, and also, he still has his summer home in cape cod.

I can see him playing with Toews, with Buff going back in return for starters.

As a deadline move, it makes sense for the Hawks.Keith is what the Hawks thought Buff could be, but is far from.

The whole division thing might have something to do with him heading to Boston, who has indeed, been playing great as of late, and could use Tkachuk also, but at what price?

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Whoever gets Tkachuk for a playoff run will gain another fan temporarily.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I'd absolutely love for Vancouver to get him, I've been advocating grabbing Tkachuk for awhile. I would considering giving up VanCity's 1st for Tkachuk.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Peter Griffin

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.