HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

reality check about allison

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 06:10 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
reality check about allison

allison is not going to take a 4+ million dollar pay cut just to be the number one center on the oilers..... he is going to sign with the team that can afford to pay him the most money, and that team is most certainly not the edmonton oilers..... sorry to rain on everyones parade

it looks like lowe will have to trade for a #1-2 centerman now, and this most likely means that smith is on his way out or maybe even brewer depending on what happens at arbitration ...... *sigh*.... just once i would like to know how it feels to sign a GOOD player because we had the capability to do so

Old
07-23-2004, 06:31 PM
boxall9

In the old NHL maybe but teams are being more responsible now. I think Allison would consider signing with the Oilers because he would be the man there and if he remained healthy he would make decent money. If healthy, he would get loads of ice time on the #1 line which would allow him to prove himself and possibly set him up for 1 more big contract, he is still in his 20's and will need to sign another contract one day. Considering what's still out there and that most are taking pay cuts, a large pay cut with many incentives makes sense for a guy who hasn't played in 2 years. Allison is a true possibility for Edmonton.

Old
07-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Seachd

But who in their right minds would offer him any more than the Oilers would?

Old
07-23-2004, 07:07 PM
mamettt

jason allison will not sign with the oilers any time soon. He's paying lip service to them, but he's not taking a 4 million dollar pay cut for 3 or 4 extra minutes a night.

He's also incredibly injury prone. The oilers don't need a lot of money tied up in a player like that. From that point of view, were better off without him.

Last edited by mamettt: 07-23-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old
07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Let's stop using the phrase "pay cut". Jason Allison doesn't have an $8 million dollar option on the table. If he did, he'd have signed it already.

The figure the Oilers are competing with is not the last contract Allison signed, it's what any other team will be willing to offer the guy. Rest assured that it won't be anywhere close to $8 million.

Would a player take a $4 million pay cut for the chance to be a #1 guy? Of course not.

Would a player consider settling for a couple of hundred k less if it gave him the chance to put up huge statistics and prove he's still one of the top players in the game, leading to a huge contract next time? I'm sure it would be worth thinking about.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:06 PM
jadeddog

allison isnt going to sign for the 3-3.5 that is generally believed to be available for a new centerman..... unless lowe unloads a contract somewhere (possibly smith for picks/prospects) he isnt going to have the 5+ that will prolly be needed for allison

edit: if unloading a contract was something lowe was interested in, my pick would be isbisters rather large contract, as he is still young enough and has enough of an upside that the oilers could prolly get a 2nd rounder for him at the minimum

Old
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
mamettt

I agree with jadedog's points completely. Even if we do offer him what other teams can/will (4-5 million), do we really want 4-5 million dollars invested in a player whose perpetually shown a penchant for getting injured? We're not talking about one or two minors tweaks...were talking about a long history of fragility. If we offer him 3 to 3.5, any team steps in and gives him 4 or 4.5...he's not going to back away from a million dollars to play with the oilers. Many teams need a #1 center and could offer him the job at better dollar. It's not like the oilers have the exclusivity of having a spot open in their top 6. I have no interest in setting back this oilers club by handing a huge chunk of change to a glass house. The oilers will never have a structure where one player is paid vastly higher than the rest...financial flexiblity is the name of the game. We've seen in calgary what giving a huge wad of cash to one player does...you have no money for anywhere else, unless you wanna up the payroll (the flames were at 37 million last year). And the oilers aren't going to be doing that any time soon.

I say wholeheartedly no to allison unless its a one year deal for less than 4 million, which many teams will match so there's really no point.

Old
07-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
allison isnt going to sign for the 3-3.5 that is generally believed to be available for a new centerman..... unless lowe unloads a contract somewhere (possibly smith for picks/prospects) he isnt going to have the 5+ that will prolly be needed for allison
I think if Jason Allison is expecting $5 million+/year, he'll be sitting for a VERY long time, Shanahan too a 2.5 mil paycut and signed with Detroit, Nedved is likely to sign for around 3.5 to 4 mil, with LA believed to be the front-runner (unfortunately). I can't see a team giving Jason Allison who missed all of last season, and played just 26 games the season before 5 mil/year. if anything, it'll be a low base salary with incentives that MIGHT push his yearly salary up towards 5 mil, but i'd be surprised if it reached 5 mil. certainly not more though, not with the NEW NHL. it's just NOT going to happen.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
allison is not going to take a 4+ million dollar pay cut just to be the number one center on the oilers..... he is going to sign with the team that can afford to pay him the most money, and that team is most certainly not the edmonton oilers..... sorry to rain on everyones parade

it looks like lowe will have to trade for a #1-2 centerman now, and this most likely means that smith is on his way out or maybe even brewer depending on what happens at arbitration ...... *sigh*.... just once i would like to know how it feels to sign a GOOD player because we had the capability to do so
Allison wants the money--YES--Can he stay healthy? NO!! He will have no choice but to take a base salery with bonus'. 28 games in 2 seasons gives him zero leverage.

Any team that talks with Allison's agent--will give the same kind of contract--bonus filled

Old
07-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Master Lok

I can see Allison asking for at least $5 million from any team, then slowly lower his demands with less money upfront and more bonuses depending on games played. IF (and that's a big IF) Jason was realistic, he would look for a 2 year contract with a team for 3-4 million. Then he would be 31, and hopefully have a big pay day after he's proven he's healthy for two years until he becomes a UFA.

Closed Thread