HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jimmy Howard or Alvaro Montoya?

View Poll Results: Who would YOU choose?
A: Jimmy Howard - (2003 - 64th Overall DET) 16 21.33%
B: Alvaro Montoya (2004 - 6th Overall NYR) 59 78.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 03:36 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
I gotcha, i meant more in response to bluenote's comment that Eaves had Howard slated to start.

Old
07-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Reilly311

Montoya wouldn't have been a 1st round pick if he didn't win the WJC gold medal. He probably would have gone in the 2nd round like Howard did.

Old
07-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I gotcha, i meant more in response to bluenote's comment that Eaves had Howard slated to start.
I was just stating a fact, wasn't trying to make any point.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I was just stating a fact, wasn't trying to make any point.
I know and i was just expanding on it.

I think my who cares comment is getting a little too much attention. It was just a side comment.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
Montoya wouldn't have been a 1st round pick if he didn't win the WJC gold medal. He probably would have gone in the 2nd round like Howard did.

That I seriously doubt. Make no mistake the WJC helped and he certainly got a lot of exposure from it, but this kid has been a VERY good goalie for Michigan for two years now.

He would have been a first round pick no matter what, but he probably went higher as a result of WJC.

And Howard was a solid pick in a deeper draft, but I have to say that I think Montoya is a superior goaltender.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
at least they were great last season - Labarbera-like numbers that is. One question would be why he only started 22 games last season, and what his numbers would've looked like with a full, 40 game workload that Alvaro had the last two seasons. Alvaro's got the gold medal under his belt too, which doesn't hurt. I'm going with Alvaro, but don't let the third round pick stun you - Lundqvist was a seventh rounder just a few years ago and is currently as being touted as one of the best goalies in Sweden right now. Howard's numbers improved dramatically from when he was drafted (albeit 22 games later).
Howards' numbers improved dramatically? Yeah you could say they were pretty good he broke both the NCAA sv% and gaa records this past year. Out of his 4 losses this year 3 of them were 1-0 as well and as for why he only started 22 games is because Maine's other goalie Doyle who he rotated with the past 2 years would start for 90% of the other teams in D1. Howard didn't give up an even strenghth goal over a 3 month stretch as well this past year and he carried a Maine team in the NCAA's to within 1 goal of a national championship with alot less talent in front of him then Montoya had at Michigan.

Old
07-17-2004, 04:39 AM
Edge

Garth Snow was a pretty good college goalie too.....

Bottom line is none of us know till we see them get some pro competition.

We can sit and point to numbers for any kid in any league at any position in any of the past 30 years and it means bunk until we get them at a pro level.

Having said that, i think having either one of em isn't a bad position to be in.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Garth Snow was a pretty good college goalie too.....

Bottom line is none of us know till we see them get some pro competition.

We can sit and point to numbers for any kid in any league at any position in any of the past 30 years and it means bunk until we get them at a pro level.

Having said that, i think having either one of em isn't a bad position to be in.
True Snow was a very good college goalie as was Dunham at Maine,but neither was at the same level that Howard is.
Snow was actually a walk on 3rd string who was told by his coach(Walsh) that the only way he'd see the ice is if he was driving the zamboni and Dunham was the highly touted one and Snow turned out to be a better college goalie.

Old
07-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Edge

I remember {that Maine team was AWESOME}, my point was moreso that we can't really tell just yet.

I expect both to be NHL starters if all pans out. There is just something about Montoya {and it's not just because the Rangers drafted him}. I dunno if you've seen my other posts, but it's that certain "it" that seems to come out in the big games. He has the entire next level and that zone that view players have. That's taking nothing away from Howard {Whom I like a lot} or any of the other Rangers goalie prospects {Blackburn and Lunqvist who I think have as good a shot as anyone to be NHL players}, but I find it ironic that Montoya liked Richter because he has that same potential for "it". Whatever "it" is tends to be even more than the sum of the parts which is a pretty good sum to begin with.

Now that i've said that watch weird things happen to both Howard and Montoya and neither one makes it to the show.

Old
07-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Wow, very tough call. I'll be middle of the road and say both. Both have tremendous upsides.

Montoya became one of, if not the fastest goaltender in recent Michigan memory to rack up 40+ wins. Not too shabby for a teenager. Montoya along with Howard were the original tandem going to WJC, but as stated earlier because of Howard's injury, it was Montoya and Dominic Vicari (out of MSU).

A couple of things on Howard, for those not familiar with him:

1) Earlier this past season, he went a stretch of 11 consecutive games where he didn't allow an even strength or power play goal. During that stretch, he allowed a measily 8 goals....that's 8 goals total in 11 games, folks! He also led the nation in GAA (1.19) and save percentage (.956). Montoya had a 2.23 GAA and .917 save percentage, but did lead the nation in minutes played (2340:27).

2) Howard has been a model of consistency for Maine. IMO, there's isn't a goaltender in the NCAA last season (including Montoya) who was MORE consistent from start to finish. He had perhaps his best game during that marathon Hockey East championship game versus Pock and UMass that went triple OT before Maine won 2-1. Howard made 63 saves, many of which were of the spectacular variety.

To base the idea that Montoya will be a better goaltender than Howard in the future on just the notion that Montoya backstopped Team USA to a gold medal is IMO selling BOTH players short. These are two of the two best goaltenders in the nation. They will both continually get better and will (I'm predicting) be tremendous assets to their respective NHL teams in the future.

Also, one last thing.....

IMO neither Howard nor Montoya have reached their full potential yet, and that's the scariest part about both of these talented goaltenders.

Old
07-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Fletch

Like what's been said...

very impressive numbers. Now he has to do it in a 40 game season, not a 20 game season. Also, in a bit more competitive league, the AHL, Labrabera put up some pretty decent numbers too (1.59 GAA, .936 save % and an AHL record 13 shutouts), and not many think the 24 year old has NHL potential. So time will tell, but at first Howard needs to play a full season. Time will tell with these guys. I like what Montoya did on the international stage (something Howard didn't get the chance, but Montoya, a year younger, took the bull by the horns a brought home the gold).

Old
07-24-2004, 08:34 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
I remember {that Maine team was AWESOME}, my point was moreso that we can't really tell just yet.

I expect both to be NHL starters if all pans out. There is just something about Montoya {and it's not just because the Rangers drafted him}. I dunno if you've seen my other posts, but it's that certain "it" that seems to come out in the big games. He has the entire next level and that zone that view players have. That's taking nothing away from Howard {Whom I like a lot} or any of the other Rangers goalie prospects {Blackburn and Lunqvist who I think have as good a shot as anyone to be NHL players}, but I find it ironic that Montoya liked Richter because he has that same potential for "it". Whatever "it" is tends to be even more than the sum of the parts which is a pretty good sum to begin with.

Now that i've said that watch weird things happen to both Howard and Montoya and neither one makes it to the show.
I'd agree that you we can't tell yet. As far as Montoya I wasn't knocking him at all because I think he's a fine goalie I was just backing Howard who wasn't getting any credit. I will say I'm a Maine fan that goes to all their games and I've seen every start that Howard has had in his 2 years at Maine except for 1. And honestly he's as good of a goalie that I've seen in my 20+ years of watching college hockey. Not to say there hasn't been better,but I can't recall any goalie that I've seen be head and shoulders above him.

Old
07-24-2004, 08:40 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
very impressive numbers. Now he has to do it in a 40 game season, not a 20 game season. Also, in a bit more competitive league, the AHL, Labrabera put up some pretty decent numbers too (1.59 GAA, .936 save % and an AHL record 13 shutouts), and not many think the 24 year old has NHL potential. So time will tell, but at first Howard needs to play a full season. Time will tell with these guys. I like what Montoya did on the international stage (something Howard didn't get the chance, but Montoya, a year younger, took the bull by the horns a brought home the gold).
Howard will more than likely play 75% of Maine's games this year. Maine has always gone with a 2 goalie rotation except for maybe a total of 4 years in their 27 year existence. Of course the AHL is more competitive then the NCAA and Howard is alot younger than Labrabera,but Howard did break the NCAA all time records for sv% and gaa and the way he played this past year he probably would have had close to the same numbers if he played 40 games.

Old
07-25-2004, 02:27 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA Hockey Fan
I'd agree that you we can't tell yet. As far as Montoya I wasn't knocking him at all because I think he's a fine goalie I was just backing Howard who wasn't getting any credit. I will say I'm a Maine fan that goes to all their games and I've seen every start that Howard has had in his 2 years at Maine except for 1. And honestly he's as good of a goalie that I've seen in my 20+ years of watching college hockey. Not to say there hasn't been better,but I can't recall any goalie that I've seen be head and shoulders above him.
I gotcha, in the end for the purpose of the question i could only pick one. But both are as good of goalie prospects as you'll find.

I'm actually kind of interested in seeing how their season plays out considering both will be on high ranking teams that are expected to win.

Closed Thread