HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Toronto/Hamilton Questions

Old
11-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Tommy Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
00-01 5,472
01-02 5,895
02-03 5,679
03-04 5,594
04-05 5,961
05-06 5,488
06-07 5,472
07-08 5,270
08-09 4,439

You are correct after an increase in 01-02 the league has slowly dropped for the previous several with the exception of 400 fan increase during the lock out.

This years will no doubt come up as the year goes on but I suspect it will finish under 5,000 a game at years end.
This is also after several new arenas were built in Manitoba, Hershey, etc. Also, a whopping 400 when the AHL was the only game in town. Sad, very sad.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
This is also after several new arenas were built in Manitoba, Hershey, etc. Also, a whopping 400 when the AHL was the only game in town. Sad, very sad.

The number aren't great but at least the league is still operational .

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Also, a whopping 400 when the AHL was the only game in town. Sad, very sad.
Just a few slightly off topic thoughts...

I know this is arguing the past a little bit, but I think this disappointment over the bump during the lockout is a little overdone.

How many people were going to go from an NHL city to watch live AHL hockey? Just for instance, take a team like Binghamton. They aren't near an NHL team where they could have drawn in fans that are in need of a hockey fix. People from New York City or Buffalo were not going to drive to Binghamton to get a hockey fix. Similarly, people from Dallas were not going drive to Houston or San Antonio just to watch hockey. In both cases, the distances were just too great to make an appreciable difference to the team's attendance.

If you look at the teams that did not increase attendance by an average of more than 400 per night, a lot of teams fall into that category of teams that are not close enough to an NHL city that they could have benefitted from the lockout in terms of butts in the seats.

If you look at the big gainers percentage-wise in the lockout, #2 and #3 on the list are Chicago and Rochester. Both are reasonably close to NHL cities that people could have made the journey in big enough numbers to affect the average.

Although it doesn't show up in the percentages because they only played one season, the Oilers also operated a team in Edmonton that had 8,800 fans per game.

Finally, I can't readily fit Manitoba into my theory. All I can say is that there are people in Winnipeg that stooped down to watch AHL hockey because there was no NHL on TV. Since there was no NHL, they could support the AHL for one season.

Last edited by Majik1987: 11-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 07:21 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
They are both atrocious markets for the AHL, and major junior, for that matter. Today's Marlies-Monsters game at Ricoh was broadcast back to Cleveland, and it was embassasing to watch with an empty arena in a "hockey town". The announced crowd of 1587 was bs, half that at best. Toronto is a Leafs town, nothing else. Look at the failures, Marlies(Jrs), Roadrunners, St. Mike's Majors, IceDogs, Battalion, and Marlies(AHL). I'm sure that there are others. But all of these teams could not draw any type of consistant crowd in the GTA.

As for Hamilton, the people there have been hypnotized into thinking that they are living in an NHL-city-in-waiting, and don't realize that the AHL is as good as it will ever get. Maybe they should support the Bulldogs first before thinking that an NHL team is invevitable, because it most likely isn't going to happen. Before the 'Dogs end up like the Steelhawks and the Dukes.
You are 100% correct about toronto a leafs town and nothing else.I think there has to be some concern with lack of support for the marlies and the 2 major jr teams.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
You are 100% correct about toronto a leafs town and nothing else.I think there has to be some concern with lack of support for the marlies and the 2 major jr teams.

serious concerns about the Marlies as a failure on the AHL Level

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Uhhh, yeah. Do you know who is the third lowest in average attendance right now after Lowell and QC? Hint - you mentioned them in your post.

When we talk about Lowell moving all the time based on poor attendance, seems like the Marlies could also be in that discussion. The key thing keeping them in Toronto is their proximity to the Leafs. But as far as marketing and attendance, yes, Toronto does appear to be a failure.

Old
12-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

What's the bigger failure; this years Toronto Marlies or the Toronto Bills playing at the Rogers Centre in front of a pro Miami Dolphins crowd?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:27 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
I am not sure if it is a failure yet.But there should be some concerns about the attendance.

Old
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
I am not sure if it is a failure yet.But there should be some concerns about the attendance.

nope, sorry,wjhl

Old
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
nope, sorry,wjhl
Can you explain why there should not be any concern.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

TML has gone through, in no particular order, St. Catherines, Newmarket and St. John's, wjhl, BEFORE Ricoh, and that includes both Memorial Aud and Mile One, same reasoning you'll never see Philadelphia drop the Phantoms even though they'll not be as convienient next season.

Old
12-20-2008, 07:30 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
TML has gone through, in no particular order, St. Catherines, Newmarket and St. John's, wjhl, BEFORE Ricoh, and that includes both Memorial Aud and Mile One, same reasoning you'll never see Philadelphia drop the Phantoms even though they'll not be as convienient next season.
Do you know where the phantoms will be playing out of next year.

Old
12-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Do you know where the phantoms will be playing out of next year.
It hasn't been determined yet. The Silly season thread points out that there have been dicussions for them to play in Glen Falls.