HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-call Cheapshots On Flyers

Old
12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
TheDrizzle81

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Non-call Cheapshots On Flyers

What the hell is going on in the NHL? Are the morons in the league office making it blatantly clear they dont like Philly? Some of our 5 suspensions last year were weak, and even weaker looking at some of the BS going around in the NHL. Upshall got a misconduct early this year and was told by that retard in toronto, campbell, that they are going to crack down on hits to the head. Are they? Fortunatly, noone on our team has been injured, but sooner or later, someone is gonna get seriously hurt. Its sending a bad message to young players watching as well.

And this Bull with protecting star players, "people pay to see crosby, ovechkin, etc" I pay to watch Carter Richards and Gagne. They dont get gift calls. Ever.

The NHL just keeps continuing to make itself more and more of a joke.

Questionable calls so far Off the Top of my head (I know there is so much more):

Kovalev's Elbow on Gags then later in the game i think it was powe or ross who was boarded by the bench by a canadian.

Powe Boarded by Brashear after the whistle.

Alberts boarded by Scott Walker.

Timonen boarded by that homo matt cooke.

EDIT 12/30/08 - It happened an injury off a cheap shot, Gagne hit WAYYYY late by Kevin Bieska. No call.
Yeh this post was a bit angry, but this crap is happening every night. Just wanna see where you all stand on it.

Last edited by TheDrizzle81: 12-31-2008 at 01:51 PM.
TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

It's garbage and a double standard that shouldn't exist. I don't care what our reputation is, the league is basically saying it's okay to put our player's health on the line.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
TheDrizzle81

What is going to happen when the players, coaches, and managment in Philly say Enough is enough. I cant imagine this team taking much more of this before they go out and get goons, or take matters into their own hands. I see a powerkeg here in Philly and Bettman and Campbell are holding the match right over it.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:49 PM
sg12lw

stop crying, its hockey for christs sake

the league is not out to get us

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Casey Tatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
stop crying, its hockey for christs sake

the league is not out to get us
Thats debateable.

Casey Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It's been going on for years and every team complains about it. You want to know what's going on? Colin Campbell is what's going on.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
last year:

Sutton Elbow on Kukkonen

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:47 PM
AaronTrieu

as long as we keep winning, its the best we can do. Us winning on top of the trash the league throws at us is a slap in the face to the league.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
"it's hockey" is the response we get when we complain about cheapshots, but if it's a flyer doing to the cheapshotting, he's a goon. i try to take it in stride, but you're kidding yourself if you don't see the double standard.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:25 PM
TehBBA

Didn't Bettman have a meeting specifically with the Flyers before the start of the season to tell them that they had a "clean slate"? BS. If they really had a clean slate, he wouldn't have had to make a special meeting to tell them that they had a clean slate, it would have just been assumed. I don't think they have a clean slate at all, and these shots are evidence of this.

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Yeah, their is clearly a double standard for the flyers. People on the Flyers get nailed into the boards or elbowed in the head and not even a penalty, yet the flyers do it they get suspensions

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:46 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
Yeah, their is clearly a double standard for the flyers. People on the Flyers get nailed into the boards or elbowed in the head and not even a penalty, yet the flyers do it they get suspensions
I disagree. While there may have been some egregious acts against the flyers that go unpenalized, I think it happens to a lot of teams. The Flyers get the reputation as being goons, but cheapshots by Boulerice and Downie certainly contributed to that stigmatization. I mean, yeah, I think Brashear should get a fine for that hit today and that Kovalev should have gotten suspended. But that's the state of the NHL right now, not just for us.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBBA View Post
Didn't Bettman have a meeting specifically with the Flyers before the start of the season to tell them that they had a "clean slate"? BS. If they really had a clean slate, he wouldn't have had to make a special meeting to tell them that they had a clean slate, it would have just been assumed. I don't think they have a clean slate at all, and these shots are evidence of this.
Bettman doesn't hand out suspensions.

Old
12-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

i know downie deserved to get something for his hit but not more then Todd Bertuzzi's cheapshot on Moore. Which is what he recieved

Old
12-20-2008, 06:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Bertuzzi was suspended for the season, plus playoffs and then the IIHF wouldn't let him play in the Worlds, either before and during the lockout. Bertuzzi was penalized far more than Downie was.

Old
12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

but in terms of # of games it was the same. I forgot about the IIHF not letting him play

Old
12-20-2008, 07:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It wasn't about the number of games. He was suspended for the rest of the season. It was less games because the Canucks lost in the 1st round.

Old
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Amateur Hour

There's no double standard, no conspiracy theory. The NHL is not out to get the Flyers. Just relax. I'm sure every other team could pull out similar examples of questionable hits on their players that weren't called. Besides, it's no secret that the refs are incompetent in general, so this type of **** is going to happen.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 07:27 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
There's no double standard, no conspiracy theory. The NHL is not out to get the Flyers. Just relax. I'm sure every other team could pull out similar examples of questionable hits on their players that weren't called. Besides, it's no secret that the refs are incompetent in general, so this type of **** is going to happen.
wasn't there a guy at the world series that offered free lasic eye surgery for referees so they wouldn't blow calls?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
isnt the nhl ?cracking down? on this crap? how do you miss at least 4 obvious plays like that in 2 weeks?

Old
12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
BringBackStevens

The league isn't serious about applying consistent discipline. Simple as that... and it's league wide.

But if you want to tell me a Flyer wouldn't have got more than 2 minutes for this, than whatever

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Hockey refs are just that bad.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Sec201

I don't think anybody is out to get the flyers, but when a hit happens like Brashears did today, I think it is worth at least another look by the league. Perhaps a fine. I by no means want to see hockey get soft. For example, you can't even touch certain players like Crosby or Ovechkin without getting a penalty (i.e. Timmonen's first penalty of the game today). Hockey is hockey....it is a rough sport and that is what makes it fun to watch.

2nd: The flyers should have more then a clean slate considering neither Boulerice or Downie play for them anymore and Downie is still continuing to take stupid penalties with Norfolk/TB. Obviously it is something in his game and not what the team is coaching him to do.

3rd: Whoever said that the flyers winning is the biggest slap in the face to league is 100% correct. The fact that Powe getting up and skating off (considering he already had a concussion this year) and us winning the game slapped them more and more in the face. After the dust of the game settle's, I do think Brashear should get a fine however.

Sec201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:44 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
last year:

Sutton Elbow on Kukkonen
Same with Jones on Bergeron. But I am just playing devil's advocate here because I dont believe Jones did that on purpose at all and he shouldnt have been suspended.

But **** happens and you cant do anything about it. you just play the game the best you can and hope you get the lucky bounces instead of the lucky calls.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I dont think there is anyone out to get us, nor do i think things arent being called purposely.
I do think the NHL refs are just terrible and Colin Campbell is inconsistant as hell.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote