HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Boston catchable?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Boston is this year's Montreal.

Thank you, that is all.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Bruins fans must really hate the other Boston teams living in the past
Bruins fans have an inferiority complex not just to the Habs but to the other local sports because they can not believe they have been ignored for 15 years and that somehow they aren't that great an NHL town but another overrated city.

The Rangers sold out when they stunk...the Bruins got invaded by Habs fans in the playoffs.
Case closed.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
All we need to do is win and stop worrying about what Boston does and eventually it will pay off.
I agree.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:39 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastofHudson View Post
Bruins fans have an inferiority complex not just to the Habs but to the other local sports because they can not believe they have been ignored for 15 years and that somehow they aren't that great an NHL town but another overrated city.

The Rangers sold out when they stunk...the Bruins got invaded by Habs fans in the playoffs.
Case closed.
Your funny.i come for a peek after u guys lose a game and every single time u guys are yelling for trades,Anyhow enjoy the game tonite,I love watching Saturaday hockey,especially after bruins won in the afternoon.

Old
12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastofHudson View Post

Case closed.

Yeah, thats somewhat true. But we here on this board were the ones in that building the past 15 years. You can't criticize us for that.

Old
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Can we catch them? Absolutely, I still think that we're a better team when we're at our best. Will we catch them? Who knows...definitely not if the effort level stays the same as it's been so far.

Old
12-20-2008, 05:07 PM
totalrecall

It's not even half of the season. If Boston has lots of energy to burn, I wish them luck.

Old
12-20-2008, 05:12 PM
HabsPack

Boston is on a real nice roll, and even though they will eventually slow down I doubt Mtl catches them ... anything can happen though.

Old
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
MathMan

I'm not sure if Boston is catchable but I think they're more of a 100-point team than a 130-point team. They are on a really hot streak however, and that may lead them to finishing the season with 110-115 points or thereabouts.

Last year they were not a playoff-caliber team. They had a negative goal-differential. They made the playoffs ahead of Buffalo which was a stronger team with a better differential, mostly because Buffalo was unlucky and would score their goals in bunches, so they'd have a few really big wins and many narrow losses.

This year? Somehow they turned into a team with a negative goal-differential into a 130-point powerhouse by adding Bergeron and Ryder. Yeah... Allow me to remain skeptical. I'll grant that dramatic turnarounds are possible (last year's Canadiens, for one) and their goal-differential is beyond reproach. But I have trouble imagining that much of a turnaround in one year.

The goaltending spike has already been noted in this thread, and that's the first thing that's likely to drop to more normal levels; I don't see Boston maintaining a .930-or-more save% for the rest of the year.

Boston's lead may make them uncatchable once both teams start playing more to their ability, but I don't think Boston is a better team than Montreal when both are healthy and at the top of their game, and I certainly don't think they have a better coach.

Old
12-20-2008, 05:41 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Boston is this year's Montreal.

Thank you, that is all.
Yes they'll lose in the second round after winning the east then Montreal will advance and win the cup

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
It's not even half way through the season. I remember there were 'is Ottawa catchable' thread around this times last season.

Old
Teufelsdreck

The time and place for any team to catch the Bruins this year is in the playoffs, not the regular season. There are a few teams that could knock them off. I'm not sure the Habs could because several key players are having off-seasons but the Flyers, Devils, Caps, and perhaps the Rangers have a reasonable shot at it.

Old
12-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
You have to be crazy or just too young as a bruins fan to not be scared of the Habs. Regular season is just that, regular season.
Dig me the Habs-Bruins playoffs results of the last decade. Now that's reason to pray that Habs are taken out by another team before they meet the Bruins. Sure, they under-achieved for several reasons during the last playoffs run but I also recall a bottom feeder Montreal team beating the top of the division Bruins as 1-8 and 2-7 seeds 2 times.

Old
12-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Come playoff time everyone is catchable....including the Bruins.

Old
12-20-2008, 06:38 PM
AmericanHabsFan

Yes. Boston will cool off, and we will surpass them by March imo.

Old
12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not sure if Boston is catchable but I think they're more of a 100-point team than a 130-point team. They are on a really hot streak however, and that may lead them to finishing the season with 110-115 points or thereabouts.

Last year they were not a playoff-caliber team. They had a negative goal-differential. They made the playoffs ahead of Buffalo which was a stronger team with a better differential, mostly because Buffalo was unlucky and would score their goals in bunches, so they'd have a few really big wins and many narrow losses.

This year? Somehow they turned into a team with a negative goal-differential into a 130-point powerhouse by adding Bergeron and Ryder. Yeah... Allow me to remain skeptical. I'll grant that dramatic turnarounds are possible (last year's Canadiens, for one) and their goal-differential is beyond reproach. But I have trouble imagining that much of a turnaround in one year.
It's not just Ryder and Bergeron.
Kessel has come into his own, Lucic is going from a 27 point 3rd liner to a 55 point power forward, and Krejci is turning into a PPG center. Add in Wheeler, a further improvement from Wideman, and some great young depth in Hunwick, Sobotka and Nokailanen, and they've been getting improvement from many areas.

Quote:
The goaltending spike has already been noted in this thread, and that's the first thing that's likely to drop to more normal levels; I don't see Boston maintaining a .930-or-more save% for the rest of the year.
Their playing beyond the norm no doubt, but these are 2 excellent goaltenders (career Sv% of .910+ for each) who are excelling under a solid defensive system. I can see them each putting up career numbers simply due to the system.

Having said all that...
The Bruins have benefitted from a very weak December sched. Looking at the schedule, I knew we would make some ground on the Habs in December. I expect things to even out a bit, and remain tight till April.

Cheers.

Old
12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
It's not just Ryder and Bergeron.
I know. That was sort of my point -- those two guys alone wouldn't generate a turnaround.

Basically, looks like a bunch of bumper years for several guys, and a super-hot goalie. Nice when it happens, but unlikely to be very sustainable.

Quote:
Their playing beyond the norm no doubt, but these are 2 excellent goaltenders (career Sv% of .910+ for each) who are excelling under a solid defensive system. I can see them each putting up career numbers simply due to the system.
Not arguing that they're excellent, but they're bound to come down to their usual level from the lofty perch they are at right now. Like I said, Boston is probably a 100-point-plus team. But they're overachieving right now.

Quote:
The Bruins have benefitted from a very weak December sched. Looking at the schedule, I knew we would make some ground on the Habs in December. I expect things to even out a bit, and remain tight till April.
That would require the Habs to get up for weak teams, and that seems to be a problem for them.

An inability to beat Tampa Bay may not be a huge factor come playoff time, but in the meantime it's not helping them catch Boston in the standings.

Old
12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I know. That was sort of my point -- those two guys alone wouldn't generate a turnaround.

Basically, looks like a bunch of bumper years for several guys, and a super-hot goalie. Nice when it happens, but unlikely to be very sustainable.
When it's just a natural progression for young, 20-21 year old players like Kessel, Krejci, and Lucic, why would it not be sustainable?

Quote:
Not arguing that they're excellent, but they're bound to come down to their usual level from the lofty perch they are at right now. Like I said, Boston is probably a 100-point-plus team. But they're overachieving right now.
Yeah, not going to pick at straws. Given their strong start, going 500 the rest of the way puts them at 100 points, so I figure 110 is a good number.

Quote:
That would require the Habs to get up for weak teams, and that seems to be a problem for them.

An inability to beat Tampa Bay may not be a huge factor come playoff time, but in the meantime it's not helping them catch Boston in the standings.
The Habs are a good team, they'll get their wins. The Bruins won't have killer hot months like November every month, nor easy schedules like December every month.

Old
12-20-2008, 10:59 PM
bruinsfan321

Frankly, as a Bruins fan, I would suggest both our teams should be more worried about Philly and the Caps -- I see them as the biggest threats in the East.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
MathMan

Quote:
When it's just a natural progression for young, 20-21 year old players like Kessel, Krejci, and Lucic, why would it not be sustainable?
I don't think this is entirely a natural progression -- breakouts, sure, but I expect them to scale back a bit. The leap for all three of them from last year is excessive. One of them will probably keep it up (my money is on Kessel), but I'd say two of them will slow down eventually.

Quote:
The Habs are a good team, they'll get their wins. The Bruins won't have killer hot months like November every month, nor easy schedules like December every month.
The Habs will get their wins and I expect them to get better as they go -- their PP seems to be heating up, which would make them very scary -- but they have been very inconsistent. They need to get into a real, long-term roll... but they tend to do very well near the end of the season historically.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan321 View Post
Frankly, as a Bruins fan, I would suggest both our teams should be more worried about Philly and the Caps -- I see them as the biggest threats in the East.
I'm not sold on Philly's blueline, they're a bit low on mobility and it allowed Montreal to give them fits on Thursday. Their forward corps is very deep though which allows them to dominate teams, but that D could be exploitable.

The Capitals are a major threat, but I'd be wary of pinning my goaltending on Jose Theodore. Definitely the class of the Southeast by far however.

I think Pittsburgh is going to start running away once they get their D-men back.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

well, there's only one thing that's sure, we need to get better before the playoffs if we want to make a run for the cup, we're just not strong enough to make it to the finals as we stand.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

As long as the Habs finish in the top four which gives them home ice I will be happy....its still way too early to be wondering if the Bruins can be caught....

Old
12-20-2008, 11:30 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Your funny.i come for a peek after u guys lose a game and every single time u guys are yelling for trades,Anyhow enjoy the game tonite,I love watching Saturaday hockey,especially after bruins won in the afternoon.
Uh what are you doing with 22Brad Park?
He's our guy, a Ranger, and you know he ids more with us than you guys.

Old
12-20-2008, 11:34 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Yeah, thats somewhat true. But we here on this board were the ones in that building the past 15 years. You can't criticize us for that.
You and the 8,000 Ranger/Hab/Leafs were the ones in the building the last 15 years.
Yes...no problem with the longtime Bruins fans...they know the game.
It's the bandwagoners who have "discovered" hockey and now claim Boston is "the best" US hockeytown that are a joke.

New York's had it much worse and drawn much better over the years...and the Celtics/NBA are bigger than the Bruins/NHL all things equal...so I don't want to hear/see this nonsense about how holy a town Boston is...hence...why the Bruins winning now is so annoying.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-21-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Removed (deleted) quote.
Closed Thread