HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Teaching help....

Old
12-11-2008, 08:36 AM
hcazf

vCash: 500
Teaching help....

hello everyone my name is zacha and im new to the site i have been playing hockey since i was 4(im now 19) and im try to teach my girlfriend how to skate... its been going ok and she wants to learn how to stop i have showed her and she just cant get it.... does anyone know a good way to help her to learn tips or tricks or something. any help would be wonderful thank you

hcazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Patrick Bateman

Have you taught her the "snowplow" stop? Don't rush a beginner into the doing the full stop right away.

Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
hcazf

ya she know how to do that

Old
12-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcazf View Post
ya she know how to do that
Get her to turn a little while doing it by pressuring one skate slightly more than the other.

Progressively turning a little faster each time and she will eventually be stopping on the outside skate and the turn won't amount to any lateral motion, just stopping straight while turned at right angles to the direction she was going.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Having learned just this year, the key is to first get the feeling of scraping the blade along the surface of the ice.

Start by standing still. Shift most/all weight onto one foot. Then drag the other skate smoothly along the surface of the ice. It should make that scraping snow sound. Start out by making sure the blade is vertical.

For me, I found it was important starting out to push my ankle out forward on that lead leg and have very little weight on it. It's not natural, but as long as your skate is tied properly it will support the ankle.

If the skate feels like it's bouncing off the ice, then it's digging in and the angle of the blade to the ice is too sharp.

Once you got the feeling & sound of scraping the ice with your skate, then moving forward. Start going ahead slowly with skates parallel. Shift all your weight to the back foot. Then bring the lead foot that you want to stop with in front, keeping very little weight on it, and turn it so it scrapes.

Feet position...
/ lead foot, very little weight on it, blade kept vertical
| back foot, all/most weight on it, use for balance

You should be able to pick up some speed, scrape the lead skate along the ice for a distance. As you get more comfortable, then start to put more weight on the lead skate. The more weight you put on it, the faster you will stop. Also depends on the angle of the blade & ice. But starting out start with little weight and a vertical angle.

Once you get stopping with one foot, then stopping with both feet is easier.

Coming from roller, the thing I had problem with was thinking I needed to dig my skate into the ice to stop. Digging in just sent me flying. The key was to get the skate blade to scrape the surface.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
hcazf

thanks for the tips we are going skating tomorrow and i will try it out thanks again for the help

Old
12-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Having learned just this year, the key is to first get the feeling of scraping the blade along the surface of the ice.

Start by standing still. Shift most/all weight onto one foot. Then drag the other skate smoothly along the surface of the ice. It should make that scraping snow sound. Start out by making sure the blade is vertical.

For me, I found it was important starting out to push my ankle out forward on that lead leg and have very little weight on it. It's not natural, but as long as your skate is tied properly it will support the ankle.

If the skate feels like it's bouncing off the ice, then it's digging in and the angle of the blade to the ice is too sharp.

Once you got the feeling & sound of scraping the ice with your skate, then moving forward. Start going ahead slowly with skates parallel. Shift all your weight to the back foot. Then bring the lead foot that you want to stop with in front, keeping very little weight on it, and turn it so it scrapes.

Feet position...
/ lead foot, very little weight on it, blade kept vertical
| back foot, all/most weight on it, use for balance

You should be able to pick up some speed, scrape the lead skate along the ice for a distance. As you get more comfortable, then start to put more weight on the lead skate. The more weight you put on it, the faster you will stop. Also depends on the angle of the blade & ice. But starting out start with little weight and a vertical angle.

Once you get stopping with one foot, then stopping with both feet is easier.

Coming from roller, the thing I had problem with was thinking I needed to dig my skate into the ice to stop. Digging in just sent me flying. The key was to get the skate blade to scrape the surface.
Nullterm is right on with this write up. I would like to add just a little bit to his stuff.

One of the things you have to remember about hockey is that 80% of it is balance. If you stand up straight, the center of gravity is up at your chest, this means that you are top heavy and you have a better chance of falling.

This is why, when we tell our kids that come skating for the first time, we tell them to bend their knees. This bending of the knees gives you a lower center of gravity.

Now, as hockey players, we would like for you (the skater) to keep your knees bent at 90 degrees for balance and maximum stride length.

When you are going to get ready to stop, you have your kness bent. Just when you are ready to stop, you stand up, allowing the weight to shift to your chest. In the process of standing up, you are turning at the same time, with this one legged snow plow that was mentioned in this thread.

By standing up, you move the weight to your chest, turn and then bend your knees. The slower you bring that center of gravity down to your knees, the slower you stop. The faster you bring that center of gravity down, the faster you stop.

I would recommend slower at first, then once you get use to stopping, then you can stop with gusto. Please make sure that you learn how to stop in both direction. Don't favor one side over the other.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 01:24 AM
hcazf

thanks for that we are going skating almost daily all of your info has been a huge help!! thanks so much

Old
12-15-2008, 02:23 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Glad to hear!

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:43 AM
PIMking

I dont want to bring up a dead thread but last night i went to an open skate trying to break in the new skates and some guy that was having trouble stopping asked me how to do it.

I couldnt tell him much other than i took him to the bench and showed them the pivot points and had him watch me use the outside of the blade and the inside of the foot.

I told him how I leared really was when I was younger I couldnt stop all that well but when I was little (I was alot smaller than most of the kids my age) a bigger kid would try to hit me or slam me into the boards I learned very quick how to scrub off some speed and then learned how to stop on a dime.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote