HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Roadrunners Roster (maybe #83 and #36)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2004, 01:45 AM
copper_blue

vCash: 500
Edmonton Roadrunners Roster (maybe #83 and #36)

What players are likely/eligible to be on the Roadrunners roster who was not on the team last season. I can think of Deslaurier, Brodziak, Platt and Stortini. Anyone else???

In addition, I heard that Hemsky and Stoll (Scott Howson interview on 1260) don't have to clear waivers to play for the Roadrunners. I wonder if the Oil would do that if there was a longer lockout? Who knows?

Old
07-24-2004, 01:56 AM
aspin

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper_blue
What players are likely/eligible to be on the Roadrunners roster who was not on the team last season. I can think of Deslaurier, Brodziak, Platt and Stortini. Anyone else???

In addition, I heard that Hemsky and Stoll (Scott Howson interview on 1260) don't have to clear waivers to play for the Roadrunners. I wonder if the Oil would do that if there was a longer lockout? Who knows?
Isn't Stortini going back to junior? Plourde and Micka may be on as well as Radunske. Roy and Hogan should be regulars and Kenny Smith has a shot to be on.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:06 AM
Allan

Stortini is not old enough to play in the AHL, so he'll be in junior.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:44 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I spoke with Geoff Ward on Thursday... off the top of our heads we came up with this line up:

Wright - Bishai* - Winchester
Hunter - Cullen - Salmelainen
Dicasmirro - Baum - McAslan
Radunske - Brodziak - ?

Thompson - Lynch
Dan Smith - Woywitka
Henley - Hogan
(Roy-Platt-Kenny Smith)

Deslauriers - Moss*

*=RFA but expected back. K.P. says they still are looking to sign to players for the Roadrunners who will have just completed their junior eligibility (both Canadian). Also they are in talks with a veteran AHL forward.

Micka is a possibility but still only 19 so another year in the ECHL makes sense.

Word is that Eddie Caron is looking at turning pro right now too but is asking for a lot of coin.

That's basically your Roadrunner line up.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:45 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Guys like Stortini, Matt greene, Pouliot and Jacques will likely see time at the end of their junior seasons when they sign Amateur Tryout Contracts. Stortini, Platt and Kenny Smith did that last year and Stortini was VERY impressive.

Old
07-24-2004, 04:07 AM
gongshow

if im not mistaken bergie can stay play in the ahl.. i think the rule for nhlers is if u played a certain amount of games down there you could... so maybe even ulanov or semenov could play down there..not sure though so we shall see

Old
07-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow
if im not mistaken bergie can stay play in the ahl.. i think the rule for nhlers is if u played a certain amount of games down there you could... so maybe even ulanov or semenov could play down there..not sure though so we shall see
I believe the number of games was around 50 and none of Ulanov, Bergeron or Semenov played nearly that many..

Old
07-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I spoke with Geoff Ward on Thursday... off the top of our heads we came up with this line up:

Radunske - Brodziak - ?

Thompson - Lynch
Dan Smith - Woywitka
Henley - Hogan
(Roy-Platt-Kenny Smith)

Deslauriers - Moss*

*=RFA but expected back. K.P. says they still are looking to sign to players for the Roadrunners who will have just completed their junior eligibility (both Canadian). Also they are in talks with a veteran AHL forward.

Micka is a possibility but still only 19 so another year in the ECHL makes sense.

Word is that Eddie Caron is looking at turning pro right now too but is asking for a lot of coin.

Looks good. Disappointed to see Salmeleinen still there. I guess it's a question of numbers.

Old
07-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Matts

What kind of bargaining power...

other than draft position, does a guy like Ed Caron have? It's laughable to think he'd be asking for a lot of money. Maybe he's feeling the pressure of a new CBA and he thinks this would be his last short at a sizeable entry level pact but what kind of on ice numbers would that be based on?

I don't get this one at all

Old
07-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
You would think that someone who has been to so many schools would be smarter than this.

Old
07-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
other than draft position, does a guy like Ed Caron have? It's laughable to think he'd be asking for a lot of money. Maybe he's feeling the pressure of a new CBA and he thinks this would be his last short at a sizeable entry level pact but what kind of on ice numbers would that be based on?

Agree completely Matts. I can't imagine a prospect doing less in three years after being drafted (unless they were injured). 5 goals last season.

I hope they sign that Craig Voakes kid, #38 CSB NA.

Old
07-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

.... and obviously the Oilers agree with you because they haven't signed him. Looks like you and Kevin Lowe are on the same page Matts!

Old
07-24-2004, 11:29 AM
speeds

Quote:

Radunske - Brodziak - ?

Thompson - Lynch
Dan Smith - Woywitka
Henley - Hogan
(Roy-Platt-Kenny Smith)

Deslauriers - Moss*
Add in stoll, Hemsky, that's a not bad team then.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
vb

I understand Stoll and Hemsky don't have to clear waivers, but are they allowed to play?

Is there a line drawn between players with 1-way and players with 2-way contracts in terms of the pending lockout?

Old
07-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I understand Stoll and Hemsky don't have to clear waivers, but are they allowed to play?

Is there a line drawn between players with 1-way and players with 2-way contracts in terms of the pending lockout?
I read somewhere the NHL front office issued a directive to teams not to assign any players to the AHL that played less than 40 games there last season. It was about ryan kesler of the canucks so it is unlikely the oil would send stoll or Hemsky down under those stipiulations

Old
07-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Oh, so now you're drawing up lines with the coach of the farm team eh? You forgot someone foo!

Radunske - Brodziak - Oi'll Say!**

*=RFA but expected back.
**=UFA but not terribly expensive. Sawpping the "gatorade fridge" for a "beer fridge" is the sticking point in his contract.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:18 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I believe the number of games was around 50 and none of Ulanov, Bergeron or Semenov played nearly that many..
Yup. Once the lockout is over they will have quite a few guys that they can send down without clearing waivers.

According to his interview on The Team ... even Bishai (assuming he is signed) may not be allowed to play as a Roadrunner until the lockout is over. He only played 48 games in the AHL last year, though he would have easily played 50 if not for injury ... hopefully the AHL will apply common sense.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Add in stoll, Hemsky, that's a not bad team then.
Stoll and Hemsky can't play because they didn't play 50 games in the AHL last year. If they were allowed to play, the AHL this year would be just made up of a ton of young superstars like Gaborik, Nash, Kovalchuk, etc.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Oh, so now you're drawing up lines with the coach of the farm team eh?
Here's the casual conversation I had with the coach on thursday:

Ward: (Winchester) played with Bishai and Jamie Wright last year and we think that’s a line that’s going to be intact for us again. I shouldn’t really say that because one of those guys could step up and take a job, you never know, but if all three happen to come back for us then they’ll be a line for us to start.

Q: So your lines are Wright-Bishai-Winchester, Cullen-Salmelainen and who replaces Rita?
A: We’ll have to see, maybe J.J. hunter will fit in over there.

Q: DiCasmirro played with Hinz and McAslan.
A: That was our checking line and that was an awful good line for us. A guy like Dan Baum could step right into that role (Hinz’s spot) and play with those two guys.

Q: Then you’ve got Brodziak and Radunske to try and figure out where they fit in.
A: It may change 7 or 8 times before we drop the puck for real but it’s pretty nice depth to be going into training camp with.

Q: And getting better every year with Pouliot, Jacques and you’ll have Matt Greene next year ('05-'06) too.
A: (laughs) yeah.

*** So it's not like I'm on the staff or anything, we were just shooting the breeze.

Old
07-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

*** So it's not like I'm on the staff or anything, we were just shooting the breeze.
J/K Guy, sorry if I sounded accusatory.

So what's the word on Nate D, do they view him as a career ahl'er or is he a first rate call-up now? I thought that he might be a natural to fill in for Ethan if there was an injury or something but the guy is a rock.

Old
07-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Marconius

Quote:

Radunske - Brodziak - ?

Thompson - Lynch
Dan Smith - Woywitka
Henley - Hogan
(Roy-Platt-Kenny Smith)

Deslauriers - Moss*

Wouldn't Lynch & Woywitka be on the same line? I was under the impression that they played junior together and were extrememly familiar & effective lining up beside each other

Old
07-25-2004, 03:47 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If the AHL/NHL were smart they'd allow the Nash's/Gaborik's/Kovalchuks to play in the AHL..... it would help draw some really great crowds, no!? I mean, if Chicago is coming to town.... are you not more likely to go buy a ticket to watch Lehtonen AND Kovalchuk instead of just Kari?

07-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Wouldn't Lynch & Woywitka be on the same line? I was under the impression that they played junior together and were extrememly familiar & effective lining up beside each other

They did not play together last year, I asked that too. They had them paired that way so they could both have an experienced guy with them. Better for learning and development but obviously not as risky as playing two rooks together, no matter how good they are.

Closed Thread