HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who's doubting the Flyers now?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
  #301
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Oh, then whoops

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
  #302
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carterfor60, I'm going to essentially stop paying attention to you...well, because you don't speak English, and that makes it pretty pointless.

However, here's something to point out.
Your going to stop paying attention to me, because your tired of being proven wrong. But I doubt that you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

1) Altering the lines/pairings is not handling line changes. You can do that in practice...you can do that in your office...you can do that on the bench with a quick word to the assistant, who is handling the changes. It's not handling line changes, it's handling who is paired with who. And, yes, Stevens absolutely has his hands all over lines, pairings, etc., never said he didn't.
Sure it is handling line changes. And it's just more proof that the head Coach is in charge of every aspect on the ice. And yes you did say that there are things involved with the team that Stevens has "nothing to do with". If you'd like, we can go back and review them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
2) Lets (falsely) assume, however, that you're right that determining lines/pairings is the same as handling line changes. That would make me wrong, of course about McIlhargey this year and Murray last year, handling t he D. However, it would also make your universal theory of coaches on the bench wrong to. Remember, all head coaches handle forwards, and an assistant handles the D. Your words, not mine.
You are wrong. That much is obvious. On most teams, during regular game action, the Head Coach changes the Forwards, and an Assistant changes the D. The Head Coach is in charge of all of it. Of every aspect on the ice. Therefore the Head Coach will occasionally tell the Assistant, what he wants done. As Stevens alluded to today. Mcillhargey changes the D. Stevens changes the Forwards. Murray changed the D last year. Stevens oversees it all.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
  #303
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
If you believe that, then you are a fool. Florida runs plays out of a spread formation with wishbone elements. It looks nothing like the wishbone, except to those who understand very subtle nuances. You have no clue what you're talking about. (I've coached football for over 25 years and your above statement is about as inaccurate an assessment as I've seen).

Since your a Football guy. What kind of Offense does Andy Reid run on the Eagles?

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
  #304
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Since your a Football guy. What kind of Offense does Andy Reid run on the Eagles?
Please stay on topic.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM
  #305
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Since your a Football guy. What kind of Offense does Andy Reid run on the Eagles?
One that doesn't work very well? (Sorry Eagles fans)

The media will call it the west coast offense, because quite frankly, they don't know what else to label it, and that's what Reids' background is in. There is no true "west coast" offense anymore (blame the media for the overused term if you'd like). The system that Bill Walsh created many moons ago is drastically different than what is being run and called the "west coast" offense today (the media essentially makes the same mistake that you do, with a need to try and label various systems without any clue what to really call it).

That's kinda the whole point of the debate we've been having. Everything is borrowed from a system, or many systems, somewhere along the line over the years. As an example, the coach of the redskins, Zorn, is running what many consider to be a "west coast" offense, but yet his running game is still based off Gibbs' "Air Coryell" schemes. Essentially, he has borrowed elements of two different systems and combined them into one.

So is he running the west coast offense (which is what most will label it), or is he running the Air Coryell system? Answer: He's running neither, but rather a hybrid of both. Hence, its not really a west coast offense, nor is it an Air Coryell offense. Its a hybrid. Just like the hybrid Bowman was using based off the Torpedo System. If Bowman had renamed the hybrid the Genius System, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

In the end, its just a system. Your insistence on labeling it the Torpedo System because it borrows some of those same principles is baffling. But then, I guess its no more baffling than the media for doing the same exact thing in various other sports, so whatever.

I guess I just hate how everything gets labeled, because those labels are most generally incorrect. I believe you are incorrectly labeling what Bowman used, and you believe otherwise. Such is life. I won't be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt you will either.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:27 PM
  #306
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Jesus, who gives a ****? This thread is garbage. Give it a rest, guys.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 08:15 PM
  #307
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post


In the end, its just a system. Your insistence on labeling it the Torpedo System because it borrows some of those same principles is baffling. But then, I guess its no more baffling than the media for doing the same exact thing in various other sports, so whatever.

I guess I just hate how everything gets labeled, because those labels are most generally incorrect. I believe you are incorrectly labeling what Bowman used, and you believe otherwise. Such is life. I won't be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt you will either.
I didn't label it the Torpedo. Scotty Bowman did. I for one am not going to disagree with a Hall of Fame Coach. And no I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
As far as the West Coast offense. I've heard many NFL analysts label the Eagles Offense a West Coast Offense. But it is different from Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense. But still a West Coast Offense, according to the experts.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 09:06 PM
  #308
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Your going to stop paying attention to me, because your tired of being proven wrong. But I doubt that you will.

pssst...it's You're

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
  #309
silver surfer
Registered User
 
silver surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
pssst...it's You're
Your wrong. I'm right. You've lost all credibility.

(Sorry about that - I was feeling left out. And since this was likely to be the reply to your post, I figured I'd get it out of the way)

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
  #310
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
I didn't label it the Torpedo. Scotty Bowman did. I for one am not going to disagree with a Hall of Fame Coach. And no I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
As far as the West Coast offense. I've heard many NFL analysts label the Eagles Offense a West Coast Offense. But it is different from Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense. But still a West Coast Offense, according to the experts.
I own two dogs. One is a doberman and one is a black lab. Cute little buggers. Love them dogs.

Anyway, two of my favorite features that are really distinctive on a doberman are the cropped ears and short tail. I mean, its pretty difficult to confuse a doberman with another type of dog.

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or would it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

In other news, water is wet.


Last edited by Shadow Flyer: 12-20-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
  #311
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I own two dogs. One is a doberman and one is a black lab. Cute little buggers. Love them dogs.

Anyway, two of my favorite features that are really distinctive on a doberman are the cropped ears and short tail. I mean, its pretty difficult to confuse a doberman with another type of dog.

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or what it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

In other news, water is wet.
Stop changing the subject

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
  #312
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Stop changing the subject
Ha! I'm done...just having a little fun

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
  #313
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
I didn't find it humorous. I found it irrelevant. Make a valid point, and I'll listen.
You found it irrelevant because it interrupted your chest-pounding.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
  #314
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Now, about this little argument...



or


Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:32 AM
  #315
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I own two dogs. One is a doberman and one is a black lab. Cute little buggers. Love them dogs.

Anyway, two of my favorite features that are really distinctive on a doberman are the cropped ears and short tail. I mean, its pretty difficult to confuse a doberman with another type of dog.

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or would it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

In other news, water is wet.
More irrelevance. I could make BS up also. But I'll stick to the facts.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:33 AM
  #316
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
You found it irrelevant because it interrupted your chest-pounding.
I found it irrelevant, because it is. I'm still waiting for you to add something if value to this debate.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
  #317
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
I found it irrelevant, because it is. I'm still waiting for you to add something if value to this debate.
Why should I? It's much more fun making sarcastic comments while watching you squirm.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:05 PM
  #318
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
You know, there's this one problem on my Calculus homework that's been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Anyone want to help me?

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
  #319
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
You know, there's this one problem on my Calculus homework that's been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Anyone want to help me?
Good call.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
  #320
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
You know, there's this one problem on my Calculus homework that's been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Anyone want to help me?
The answer is 3(pie)^3.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
  #321
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The answer is 3(pie)^3.
My God, you're right!

Now for integrals...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
  #322
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The answer is 3(pie)^3.
You're so arrogant. Stop trying to look so smart when you're obviously wrong and I'm right and...and...and...you suck! Yeah!

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:40 PM
  #323
Carterfor60
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Why should I? It's much more fun making sarcastic comments while watching you squirm.
I'm not squirming. LOL You can't offer any legitimate commentary, so this is your only resort.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
  #324
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
I'm not squirming. LOL You can't offer any legitimate commentary, so this is your only resort.
I don't think you have any idea what I can offer. Enough people have taken care of you in this thread, I don't need to.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
  #325
fandangler*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
I hope they don't end up chucking Briere on the third line for the rest of the season, assuming he can keep away from another injury for more than a few weeks.

Also, why is it they call Richards the 'cannon'? His shot?


Last edited by fandangler*: 12-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.
fandangler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.