HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who's doubting the Flyers now?

Old
12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Oh, then whoops

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carterfor60, I'm going to essentially stop paying attention to you...well, because you don't speak English, and that makes it pretty pointless.

However, here's something to point out.
Your going to stop paying attention to me, because your tired of being proven wrong. But I doubt that you will

Quote:

1) Altering the lines/pairings is not handling line changes. You can do that in practice...you can do that in your office...you can do that on the bench with a quick word to the assistant, who is handling the changes. It's not handling line changes, it's handling who is paired with who. And, yes, Stevens absolutely has his hands all over lines, pairings, etc., never said he didn't.
Sure it is handling line changes. And it's just more proof that the head Coach is in charge of every aspect on the ice. And yes you did say that there are things involved with the team that Stevens has "nothing to do with". If you'd like, we can go back and review them.

Quote:
2) Lets (falsely) assume, however, that you're right that determining lines/pairings is the same as handling line changes. That would make me wrong, of course about McIlhargey this year and Murray last year, handling t he D. However, it would also make your universal theory of coaches on the bench wrong to. Remember, all head coaches handle forwards, and an assistant handles the D. Your words, not mine.
You are wrong. That much is obvious. On most teams, during regular game action, the Head Coach changes the Forwards, and an Assistant changes the D. The Head Coach is in charge of all of it. Of every aspect on the ice. Therefore the Head Coach will occasionally tell the Assistant, what he wants done. As Stevens alluded to today. Mcillhargey changes the D. Stevens changes the Forwards. Murray changed the D last year. Stevens oversees it all.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
If you believe that, then you are a fool. Florida runs plays out of a spread formation with wishbone elements. It looks nothing like the wishbone, except to those who understand very subtle nuances. You have no clue what you're talking about. (I've coached football for over 25 years and your above statement is about as inaccurate an assessment as I've seen).

Since your a Football guy. What kind of Offense does Andy Reid run on the Eagles?

Old
12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
Since your a Football guy. What kind of Offense does Andy Reid run on the Eagles?
Please stay on topic.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
One that doesn't work very well? (Sorry Eagles fans)

The media will call it the west coast offense, because quite frankly, they don't know what else to label it, and that's what Reids' background is in. There is no true "west coast" offense anymore (blame the media for the overused term if you'd like). The system that Bill Walsh created many moons ago is drastically different than what is being run and called the "west coast" offense today (the media essentially makes the same mistake that you do, with a need to try and label various systems without any clue what to really call it).

That's kinda the whole point of the debate we've been having. Everything is borrowed from a system, or many systems, somewhere along the line over the years. As an example, the coach of the redskins, Zorn, is running what many consider to be a "west coast" offense, but yet his running game is still based off Gibbs' "Air Coryell" schemes. Essentially, he has borrowed elements of two different systems and combined them into one.

So is he running the west coast offense (which is what most will label it), or is he running the Air Coryell system? Answer: He's running neither, but rather a hybrid of both. Hence, its not really a west coast offense, nor is it an Air Coryell offense. Its a hybrid. Just like the hybrid Bowman was using based off the Torpedo System. If Bowman had renamed the hybrid the Genius System, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

In the end, its just a system. Your insistence on labeling it the Torpedo System because it borrows some of those same principles is baffling. But then, I guess its no more baffling than the media for doing the same exact thing in various other sports, so whatever.

I guess I just hate how everything gets labeled, because those labels are most generally incorrect. I believe you are incorrectly labeling what Bowman used, and you believe otherwise. Such is life. I won't be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt you will either.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Amateur Hour

Jesus, who gives a ****? This thread is garbage. Give it a rest, guys.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:

In the end, its just a system. Your insistence on labeling it the Torpedo System because it borrows some of those same principles is baffling. But then, I guess its no more baffling than the media for doing the same exact thing in various other sports, so whatever.

I guess I just hate how everything gets labeled, because those labels are most generally incorrect. I believe you are incorrectly labeling what Bowman used, and you believe otherwise. Such is life. I won't be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt you will either.
I didn't label it the Torpedo. Scotty Bowman did. I for one am not going to disagree with a Hall of Fame Coach. And no I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
As far as the West Coast offense. I've heard many NFL analysts label the Eagles Offense a West Coast Offense. But it is different from Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense. But still a West Coast Offense, according to the experts.

Old
12-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Your going to stop paying attention to me, because your tired of being proven wrong. But I doubt that you will.

pssst...it's You're

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
pssst...it's You're
Your wrong. I'm right. You've lost all credibility.

(Sorry about that - I was feeling left out. And since this was likely to be the reply to your post, I figured I'd get it out of the way)

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I didn't label it the Torpedo. Scotty Bowman did. I for one am not going to disagree with a Hall of Fame Coach. And no I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
As far as the West Coast offense. I've heard many NFL analysts label the Eagles Offense a West Coast Offense. But it is different from Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense. But still a West Coast Offense, according to the experts.
I own two dogs. One is a doberman and one is a black lab. Cute little buggers. Love them dogs.

Anyway, two of my favorite features that are really distinctive on a doberman are the cropped ears and short tail. I mean, its pretty difficult to confuse a doberman with another type of dog.

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or would it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

In other news, water is wet.

Last edited by Shadow Flyer: 12-20-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I own two dogs. One is a doberman and one is a black lab. Cute little buggers. Love them dogs.

Anyway, two of my favorite features that are really distinctive on a doberman are the cropped ears and short tail. I mean, its pretty difficult to confuse a doberman with another type of dog.

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or what it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

Stop changing the subject

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Stop changing the subject
Ha! I'm done...just having a little fun

Old
12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I didn't find it humorous. I found it irrelevant. Make a valid point, and I'll listen.
You found it irrelevant because it interrupted your chest-pounding.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Now, about this little argument...

or

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:

So I'm thinking...If I were to take the black lab and crop his ears and cut his tail short, would he transform into a doberman, or would it just be one weird looking lab with cropped ears and a stub tail?

More irrelevance. I could make BS up also. But I'll stick to the facts.

Old
12-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
You found it irrelevant because it interrupted your chest-pounding.
I found it irrelevant, because it is. I'm still waiting for you to add something if value to this debate.

Old
12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I found it irrelevant, because it is. I'm still waiting for you to add something if value to this debate.
Why should I? It's much more fun making sarcastic comments while watching you squirm.

Old
12-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Ghost of Downie*

You know, there's this one problem on my Calculus homework that's been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Anyone want to help me?

Old
12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
You know, there's this one problem on my Calculus homework that's been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Anyone want to help me?
Good call.

Old
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
The answer is 3(pie)^3.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
The answer is 3(pie)^3.
My God, you're right!

Now for integrals...

Old
12-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
The answer is 3(pie)^3.
You're so arrogant. Stop trying to look so smart when you're obviously wrong and I'm right and...and...and...you suck! Yeah!

Old
12-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Why should I? It's much more fun making sarcastic comments while watching you squirm.
I'm not squirming. LOL You can't offer any legitimate commentary, so this is your only resort.

Old
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I'm not squirming. LOL You can't offer any legitimate commentary, so this is your only resort.
I don't think you have any idea what I can offer. Enough people have taken care of you in this thread, I don't need to.

Old
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
fandangler*

I hope they don't end up chucking Briere on the third line for the rest of the season, assuming he can keep away from another injury for more than a few weeks.

Also, why is it they call Richards the 'cannon'? His shot?

Last edited by fandangler*: 12-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.
fandangler* is offline   Reply With Quote